• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

fappenmeister said:
If I see another twentysomething male sporting an ironic Gunther moustache wearing a stupid grandpa jumper, or a girl wearing clothes from Pretty in Pink, I will punch a baby in the face. I fucking hate hipsters.

The thing I hate the most about hipsters, and there are a lot, is the way they ruined beards and moustaches. They were once the manliest things imaginable and now they are for punce and d bags.

reptilescorpio said:
Actually they said the new album was going to be even heavier. Turns out the harsh vocalist has taken over vocals for Gallows? Damn it man, Frank Carter had a fantastic, distinctive voice.

Gallows have always been one of those bands I liked but needed to listen to more. I'm interested to hear what they'd be like with Wade MacNeil so this might actually get me to listen to old Gallows more too.

Salazar

FallbackPants said:
The thing I hate the most about hipsters, and there are a lot, is the way they ruined beards and moustaches. They were once the manliest things imaginable and now they are for punce and d bags.

My beard is legit.

Raining on Gold Coast. Bit of thunder. I will be salty as fuck if power goes.

Shaneus

Salazar said:
My beard is legit.
Some are, but others are connected to a scarf that looks like a teatowel. I guess it's better than Craig David pencilbeards.

I'm happy doing the same thing I've done for the last few years... rock the permanent two-three day growth. Cheap wine all up in this motherfucker.

Bernbaum

FallbackPants said:
And AOF are great. Well there early albums were. There latest stuff has been dull central. Watch Out and Crisis were fantastic though I loved them.
Those two albums are great. First four tracks off Crisis are quality, and Watch Out! has the great trifecta of Control, No Transitory and Get Fighted nestled in amongst a bunch of solid songs.

Old Crows/Young Cardinals fails to engage like their previous stuff. The track 'Young Cardinals' has a few neat hooks, but it's repetitive and a bit soulless much like the rest of the album.

A mate of mine left the country to go home to the UK two days ago. He introduced me to Crystal Castle's first album, a great collection of music known to many that I've only just discovered.

Bernbaum said:
Those two albums are great. First four tracks off Crisis are quality, and Watch Out! has the great trifecta of Control, No Transitory and Get Fighted nestled in amongst a bunch of solid songs.

Old Crows/Young Cardinals fails to engage like their previous stuff. The track 'Young Cardinals' has a few neat hooks, but it's repetitive and a bit soulless much like the rest of the album.

Could not agree more. I've been trying to remember the name of that Aussie band that sounded exactly like Boysetsfire. It's killing me that I can't remember. I NEED TO KNOW!!

In other infuriating news, I could have sworn I like Beez Neez. I bought a six pack, cracked one open and turns out I'm not a fan. It's going to take me a while to get through these six now. God damn it.

Bernbaum said:
A mate of mine left the country to go home to the UK two days ago. He introduced me to Crystal Castle's first album, a great collection of music known to many that I've only just discovered.
Yeah I really enjoyed it. Well, the whole stealing peoples artwork (and music) kinda stained them in my mind unfortunately. Found their second album lacking.

The J's have been playing The Smith Street Band lately on Unearthed and they are awesome.

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
The J's have been playing The Smith Street Band lately on Unearthed and they are awesome.
I can remember listening to Grinspoon as a finalist on Unearthed before they won (and had Sickfest featured on the first Unearthed CD) and well before they were signed. I recall wanting them to win. Think I was in Grade 8.

Fucking Grinspoon. That's like, a billion years ago.

Salazar said:
My beard is legit.

brofistcover.jpg

Watched this Gotye clip too much today. Great song, great video.

Bernbaum said:
Fucking Grinspoon. That's like, a billion years ago.
Those years were so fucking good though. That Pushing Buttons EP is still some of the best Australian rock going around. First 2 albums are great to listen to still.
Spiderbait!

Shaneus said:
Please explain? I'm a sucker for band controversy.
This is the Wikipedia writeup for it.
In mid-2008, Crystal Castles were involved in two controversies related to artwork permissions and samples in their earliest unreleased songs. Pitchfork Media and the Torontoist blog published stories about Crystal Castles' use of Trevor Brown's artwork without permission. The image, depicting a black-eyed Madonna was used by the band on merchandise. The issue was resolved after the band bought the rights to use the image from Brown.
In one of Kath's earliest, unreleased demos, he incorporated a sample without permission; the track was uploaded on the MySpace page of the label, Lies Records, without credit to the original sampled song. The track, "Insectica (CC vs Lo-Bat Version)", uses clips chopped out of a song by Lo-bat called "My Little Droid Needs a Hand", released under a Creative Commons license. Another track called "Love and Caring", samples the kick and snare from Covox's "Sunday".
Both instances did not crop up as nice as they sound. The first album was meant to have the Madonna photo as the cover as they found it randomly on the street one day apparently and adopted it on all their merch and as their non-official logo kind of thing. Eventually they bought the rights off the artist after some back and forth for a while.
The music thing is just one of those little things that gives me the shits, anyone who doesn't respect Creative Commons irritates me as I would love to see more bands in the future use it after Nine Inch Nails put their newer stuff up on CC licence. It is a great idea and one that should be encouraged not abused, if you use someones work make sure to ask them or at least link back to the artist.

SmZA

Hi AusGAF. Where's a good place for me to sell my chipped PS2 slim? Apparently eBay will remove any auctions that mention modding.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
This is the Wikipedia writeup for it. Both instances did not crop up as nice as they sound. The first album was meant to have the Madonna photo as the cover as they found it randomly on the street one day apparently and adopted it on all their merch and as their non-official logo kind of thing. Eventually they bought the rights off the artist after some back and forth for a while.
The music thing is just one of those little things that gives me the shits, anyone who doesn't respect Creative Commons irritates me as I would love to see more bands in the future use it after Nine Inch Nails put their newer stuff up on CC licence. It is a great idea and one that should be encouraged not abused, if you use someones work make sure to ask them or at least link back to the artist.
So if I grasp it correctly, Creative Commons is basically an open thing for musicians to use as a resource as long as full credit is attributed, and they didn't credit them? That's kinda shit. At least credit them, if not going the whole hog and contacting them directly. Shit, if The Avalanches can do it for every single fucking sample they used on Since I Left You, then anyone can. Especially if it's for profit.

HAWKEN. A mech combat game for people who like mech combat games for gamers. This was the game I was trying to think of the other day when Mech Warrior came up. Looks good.

You may return to talking about modded consoles and the downward spiral of Grinspoon.

Shaneus said:
So if I grasp it correctly, Creative Commons is basically an open thing for musicians to use as a resource as long as full credit is due, and they didn't credit them? That's kinda shit. At least credit them, if not going the whole hog and contacting them directly. Shit, if The Avalanches can do it for every single fucking sample they used on Since I Left You, then anyone can. Especially if it's for profit.
CC is mainly to allow easy not-for-profit use where they can contact the creator and not have to worry about falling down the rabbit hole finding more and more people to get authority for use from. It also allows the fans greater access to the collaborative process. Basically Crystal Castles had songs on their album which they sold for mounds of cash and royalties using someone else's music to make the album better. Same with the Madonna image until they bought the rights from the creator down the track.
Also sample rights has become a major issue over the last 10 years, which is why you see people like The Avalanches having problems with songs and other DJ's too. DJ Shadow did a great interview about it 2-3 years ago but I have no idea where that is.

reptilescorpio said:
HAWKEN. A mech combat game for people who like mech combat games for gamers. This was the game I was trying to think of the other day when Mech Warrior came up. Looks good.

You may return to talking about modded consoles and the downward spiral of Grinspoon.

Done. That looks amazing. Reminds me of Phantom Crash. That game was the bomb. What's it coming out on?

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
CC is mainly to allow easy not-for-profit use where they can contact the creator and not have to worry about falling down the rabbit hole finding more and more people to get authority for use from. It also allows the fans greater access to the collaborative process. Basically Crystal Castles had songs on their album which they sold for mounds of cash and royalties using someone else's music to make the album better. Same with the Madonna image until they bought the rights from the creator down the track.
Also sample rights has become a major issue over the last 10 years, which is why you see people like The Avalanches having problems with songs and other DJ's too. DJ Shadow did a great interview about it 2-3 years ago but I have no idea where that is.
Ah, thanks for the rundown. Completely different world from the one that existed when De La Soul were in their prime.

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
Watched this Gotye clip too much today. Great song, great video.
Definitely the theme song of the moment - I hope it doesn't grow tired.

reptilescorpio said:
anyone who doesn't respect Creative Commons irritates me as I would love to see more bands in the future use it after Nine Inch Nails put their newer stuff up on CC licence. It is a great idea and one that should be encouraged not abused, if you use someones work make sure to ask them or at least link back to the artist.
You've read Lessig's 'Free Culture'? Top read - I love all the history of copyright law, the changes in the music industry and his argument that the system we have today is effectively in place because of Disney.

Cory Doctorow's ramblings on BoingBoing were my first exposure to the concept and his SciFi works were some of the first CC works I consumed. 'Little Brother' was the only thing he wrote that I enjoyed.

Sucks to think that masterpieces like 'Paul's Boutique' would be difficult to produce these days.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really like that song, but listening to it at least twice a day at work has kind of started killing it for me.

Shaneus

Bernbaum said:
Sucks to think that masterpieces like 'Paul's Boutique' would be difficult to produce these days.
That it does. Although, given the state of the music being put out today and how easy it is to make a track with a computer, perhaps it's a blessing that it's a bitch to get stuff licensed, lest our childhood be raped by samples of amazing songs twisted into some David Guetta tossfest.

People who sampled in the 80s/early 90s had taste. Now, not so much.

Paulathon said:
Hi AusGAF. Where's a good place for me to sell my chipped PS2 slim? Apparently eBay will remove any auctions that mention modding.

Don't mention that it's modded. Be clever with your words, say that it's region free and people will understand that it's chipped.

FallbackPants said:
Done. That looks amazing. Reminds me of Phantom Crash. That game was the bomb. What's it coming out on?
Not holding my breath as it is a small project but thankfully they seem determined to get it done and, more importantly, seem to be great at what they do. Wouldn't expect it until next year.

Shaneus said:
Ah, thanks for the rundown. Completely different world from the one that existed when De La Soul were in their prime.
Yeah I've heard of even small time hip hop people like 360 here in Australia getting in trouble for using samples that aren't cleared properly, even just on mixtapes sometimes. Had to happen though with a lot music coming out that is defined more by the original source than the person using it.

Bernbaum said:
You've read Lessig's 'Free Culture'? Top read - I love all the history of copyright law, the changes in the music industry and his argument that the system we have today is effectively in place because of Disney.

Great book. You can look at the whole CC issue as a good window into why our entire society is fucked, just like The Art of War has been applied to business you can apply Free Culture to economics. Short term gain for long term destruction.

Also Pauls Boutique STILL sounds perfect to this day. If you put it on someones iPod and said it was a new hip hop album that came out last week they wouldn't even know. Which may be more depressing because no one did it better. Plenty of underground stuff flies the flag for sampling, just means once they come out in to the profitable daylight they have a shitload more work ahead of them and they probably will never be happy with the tracks they can produce commerically.

Rahk

reptilescorpio said:

It visually looks amazing for an indie team. Seems fun too. Hopefully it gets a decent community so it won't be full of empty servers.

Specifically this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo

jambo said:

So i should just ignore anything our club achieves just because those years are tarnished? I wasn't trying to defend that persons exact comment but i also don't think everything the storm has achieved just disappears because of the cap scandal. There are also other things that make up a clubs history.

Also replies consisting of nothing but an image are really awesome :).

Fredescu said:
And... "proud history" is hilarious in that context. I'm a Bulldogs supporter. I would never claim that my club had a proud history, because it's actually a pretty shameful one. As is Melbourne's.

The dogs do have a proud history.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Also Pauls Boutique STILL sounds perfect to this day. If you put it on someones iPod and said it was a new hip hop album that came out last week they wouldn't even know. Which may be more depressing because no one did it better. Plenty of underground stuff flies the flag for sampling, just means once they come out in to the profitable daylight they have a shitload more work ahead of them and they probably will never be happy with the tracks they can produce commerically.
If you fancy yourself a Beasties fan, try your hardest to track down their music video DVD. Has all their videos dating up to 2000. Pretty much all videos have multiple "angles" that double as outtakes, alternate edits or the makings of the video as well as multiple audio tracks with either live, remixed or just completely different versions. Pretty sure there's a couple of extras on top of that, too. The poster that comes with it is all kinds of badass, too.

As an example of what they've done with the multiple video tracks, they've included every camera angle of the whole 3 MCs and 1 DJ track, so you can just watch Mixmaster Mike, Mike D or *anyone* while the whole track plays. There are other videos that do exactly the same, too... Shake Your Rump is one, I think.

Bernbaum

Omi said:
just watched Australian story on David hicks. How quickly we forget how odious Howard and his cronies were. Scum.
Howard was on 7:30 tonight. Exhibited the same admirable/loathing level of stubbornness we'd expect of him if he were still in power.

Shaneus said:
If you fancy yourself a Beasties fan, try your hardest to track down their music video DVD.
Yeah that is fantastic, along with that Hey! I Shot That! DVD that htey put out.

Bernbaum said:
Howard was on 7:30 tonight. Exhibited the same admirable/loathing level of stubbornness we'd expect of him if he were still in power.
Absolutely. Brilliant man, dislike him but he is quite impressive in how he went about his work. ABC had a really good documentary on his rise to power in the Liberal party not that long ago.

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
ABC had a really good documentary on his rise to power in the Liberal party not that long ago.
It's pedestrian form to drop to ad hominem attacks in politics, but here goes - Peter Reith came out of that four-part doco series looking cartoonishly slipperier than a Harry Potter villain.

Costello's frankness in his interviews was a dessert-like treat. Intelligent man, far more appealing to moderates like me, yet ultimately doomed by the unflinching determination of his liege and his own sulkish streak of character.

Top Bottom