• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Bernbaum

Shaneus said:
I think Kotaku would probably benefit from it the most. Serrels seems to have copped a lot of flak for what is essentially guilt by association.
This discussion no doubt annoys Serrels (he should be proud of his work and the banner it's published under) but given the level of engagement between himself; his colleagues at Allure; and the community of contributors in the comments sections at Au.Kotaku, I'd say a sizeable number of visitors to the site are well aware of the distinction.

-

Anyone here have an opposite-gender co-worker that they spend more time with than anyone else in their lives who will listen to pretty much anything you have to talk about?

Those people are the best. Do everything in your power to keep them around.

Choc said:
posted on foxsports now in reaction to Manly/Storm fines

i've not laughed so hard in a long time

Kyle Allman of Red Hill says… Today at 2:58 PM
DISGRACEFUL FROM MANLY, I EXPECT THEM TO BE RELEGATED FROM THE NRL TO A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN, THE G-LEAUGUE, GRUBS ONLY!!! BROOKVALES FANS YELLING AT SLATER HAD MY 9 YEAR OLD SON IN TEARS!! STORM ARE A HONOURABLE CLUB WITH A PROUD HISTORY, BLAIR IS A HUMILITABLE PLAYER. THE STEWART BROS NEED TO PLAY A GAME LIKE AFL IF THEY WANT TO BE GRUBS. LEAUGUE IS A MUPPET-FREE GAME!!!! UP THE BRONCS (THEY ARE MY FAVE TEAM AND I <3 LOCKY)

a proud history of CHEATING.

That guy sounds about 15. Also foxsports comments are always good for a laugh, always ends up fanboy vs fanboy and my team is better then your team.

jambo

AdventureRacing said:
Our history doesn't begin and end with the salary cap drama. I find it kind of hilarious that you really needed to single out one thing wrong with that post.

5 years out of 13 involved illegal salary cap breaches :lol

Omikron

I will just leave this here.

Melbourne has vaulted Vancouver to become the best city in the world to live, according to the latest Economist Intelligence Unit's Global Liveability Survey.

In a ranking of 140 cities around the world, Melbourne was given a score of 97.5 per cent. Other Australian cities in the top 10 include Sydney, which ranked sixth best - up from seventh in the previous survey - while Perth and Adelaide ranked unchanged with a joint eighth slot.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Brisbane lagged other Australian cities with a ranking of 21st, behind cities such as Toronto (4th), Helsinki (7th), Paris (16th) and Tokyo (18th).

:)

Shaneus

Bernbaum said:
This discussion no doubt annoys Serrels (he should be proud of his work and the banner it's published under) but given the level of engagement between himself; his colleagues at Allure; and the community of contributors in the comments sections at Au.Kotaku, I'd say a sizeable number of visitors to the site are well aware of the distinction.
True. Just frustrates me when it happens around here (and I'd assume, elsewhere that isn't Kotaku AU itself). Especially with some of the groundbreaking stuff that he (and other AU contribs) have posted, it'd be nice for it to actually be recognised rather than dismissed in the wider gaming community.

Bernbaum said:
Anyone here have an opposite-gender co-worker that they spend more time with than anyone else in their lives who will listen to pretty much anything you have to talk about?

Those people are the best. Do everything in your power to keep them around.
I married her.

jambo

Omi said:
I will just leave this here.

Having been in Melbourne for the weekend I can definitely agree with this. If I was ever to move anywhere in Australia, my first choice would be Melbourne.

Except for their shitty schnitties.

Omikron

elfinke said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30512951&postcount=18915

Yes yes, hardly a descriptive way to show what I was banging on about. I was hoping one might infer. Nonetheless, beaten. Also, Brisbane -> Melbourne (outside of the MCG that is), though I have nothing vested in any of the capitals.

Haha, nicely done. Yeah it was missed. Gotta move the pointless debate onto something far more pointless 8)

Syd v Melb is always a goer.

elfinke

Omi said:
Haha, nicely done. Yeah it was missed. Gotta move the pointless debate onto something far more pointless 8)

Syd v Melb is always a goer.

Absolutely! Surely there must be someone in here that has been to the MCG during an AFL grand final? Yay or Nay?

jambo said:
You never explained what the MCG had to do with it.

Surely you can infer what I might have meant?

jambo said:
Also, Perth and Adelaide are above Brisbane =P

I loved Adelaide, but haven't spent enough time there to rank it. Alas, I've not had opportunity to visit Perth; it is absolutely on my list of places to visit though.

Omikron

elfinke said:
Absolutely! Surely there must be someone in here that has been to the MCG during an AFL grand final? Yay or Nay?

Nope, not particularly interested in the corporate + bogan circle jerk either. :p

As an NRL supporter and Manly supporter in particular, the whole 'wild brawl' thing has been so blown out of proportion it's beyond a joke now. Two blokes go at it after a heated incident minutes before, people jump in from both sides but don't continue the fight. Get the fuck over it, it happens, suspend the two people involved in the fight and get on with it. Bringing the game into disrepute my arse, half the people watching probably only watch for the biff, it isn't like the NRL's reputation can be tarnished any further given the incredible amount of off-field dramas.

jambo

elfinke said:

2004 and it was amazing. I'm glad I've made the pilgrimage to footy Mecca and I'd love to do it again.

elfinke said:
Surely you can infer what I might have meant?

It might be because I'm tired, but I have no idea what you are trying to infer =[

Jintor

Choc said:
i didnt say it does

sigh you are missing my point. 1 person from WHEREEVER should not be able to hold a gvt to ransom

But there's almost no other way that he can get power. He's not part of a party large enough to challenge the other parties on their own turf. He has to take power where he can find it, otherwise he'll never get anything done.

elfinke

jambo said:
2004 and it was amazing. I'm glad I've made the pilgrimage to footy Mecca and I'd love to do it again.

I'd love to do it, even though I don't follow AFL that closely nor follow an AFL team.

jambo said:
It might be because I'm tired, but I have no idea what you are trying to infer =[

Haha, it was slightly obtuse. I was merely getting at my belief that Melbourne is not all that great (comeatmeMelbGAF) relative to the other eastern capitals, so for it to rate higher than them can only mean the merits and value of the MCG weighed heavily in the rating scale :D

MrSerrels

Bernbaum said:

The only time I really have to deal with crap is when I break a story that goes global. It sucks that I have to work extra hard to prove my work isn't bullshit.

The Bungie/Destiny story and the Euclidian stories being the best examples of that.

Technically the Australian audience is the only one I should be worrying about, so it's not too much of a big deal. :)

markot

Banned
When it comes to science, always bet on teh guy in the wheelchair >_<!

dr_strangelove.jpg

One of the threads in OT asking "why USA was so religious?"

I just found this post incredibly funny and thought I would share.

"Well, we were colonized by religious zealots that England kicked out.

The Pilgrims, Puritannical sticks in the mud. Catholics escaping British discrimination.

Then someone sent oer the hillfolk to populate Appalachia.

See, England sent its rapists and murderers to Australia, and they turned out nice, tanned and with good teeth.

They sent the God Squad to North America and look what happened."

Seriously made me lol.

I fail to see how Melbourne can be the most "livable" city when it's so expensive. Surely the cost of living has a large bearing on how livable a place is.

... not to mention the ever-popular public transport.

jambo

elfinke said:
I'd love to do it, even though I don't follow AFL that closely nor follow an AFL team.

The noise and emotion when the final siren blew were just... using words to describe it wouldn't do it justice.

Right up there with watching Cathy Freeman win gold live in 2000 in front of 110,000 people. Loudest thing I've ever heard when she crossed the finishing line.

Bernbaum

Fredescu said:
Bern, you're a scientician right? 95% certaintity that Higgs Bosun does not exist?! http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...n-the-most-outrageous-bet-in-physics-history/

edit: oh, apparently it's not that simple and the 95% is only for a certain... area... or something. This is why I'm in IT.
2ivija9.jpg

When I had a New Scientist subscription, I would read all this stuff about the Higgs Boson but its significance was always lost on me. Even with all the megabucks spent on Hadron Colliders and the such (which I think is great), I never got my head around it apart from 'If X exists, then this big pile of stuff must be true about the universe'.

All my hats as a scientist (geologist, palaeontologist, planet-rapist) are about the most applied and non-pure disciplines of science you'll come across, so I can't really comment.

Gazunta

God fucking help you if you want to leave the city to go to the suburbs and you don't leave work at precisely five o'clock.

One more day of this shit. One more day. Just one more day.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
barcraft at manabar weekend of sept 18th for the SEA blizzcon qualifiers.

i had drafted an email to send to mana bar but had not sent, so this is a nice surprise

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
codswallop said:
I fail to see how Melbourne can be the most "livable" city when it's so expensive. Surely the cost of living has a large bearing on how livable a place is.

... not to mention the ever-popular public transport.

Money is the false encomy of Melbourne. There's enough hipsters here that, if you play your cards right, you can pay for everything in irony.

FallbackPants said:
Haha ridiculous. Not to mention that Blair is one of the niggliest players in the league. He loves throwing out some chat. Also humilitable? I don't even know what word that is misspelled from.

And what kind of self respecting Broncos fan likes the Storm? Dear god. I hate them more than I hate pretty much every other team. They stole our coach in waiting, we stole their star player, we beat them in the 06 GF, they beat us in every goddamn semi final we've played since.

Yous lost Bellamy because of the idiot who was running your club. The storm would never have got him if it weren't for Cullen

jambo said:
5 years out of 13 involved illegal salary cap breaches :lol

And?

Hey Bern, have you heard of a band called Boysetsfire? You should check out their After The Eulogy album. Has one of my favourite songs on it. Thought you might be interested since you have an interest in the old hardcore bands. Actually all their stuff is great. Just a shame they broke up before finding a bigger audience.

Also Four Corners last night was popular enough to get posted on OneDDL, which should be seen as a benchmark for relevance.

jambo said:
2004 and it was amazing. I'm glad I've made the pilgrimage to footy Mecca and I'd love to do it again. It might be because I'm tired, but I have no idea what you are trying to infer =[
Super jelly but at least I got drunk in a random park in Melbourne with a bunch of randoms who bought me and my mate beer. One guy sculled a bottle of Whiskey and had to get his stomach pumped. Victory!

elfinke said:
Haha, it was slightly obtuse. I was merely getting at my belief that Melbourne is not all that great (comeatmeMelbGAF) relative to the other eastern capitals, so for it to rate higher than them can only mean the merits and value of the MCG weighed heavily in the rating scale :D
Lower cost of living? Also the more attractive women. Also better music venues, so many awesome venues.

Fredescu said:
Bern, you're a scientician right? 95% certaintity that Higgs Bosun does not exist?!
Morons didn't look under the couch I bet.

Shaneus said:
I think Kotaku would probably benefit from it the most. Serrels seems to have copped a lot of flak for what is essentially guilt by association.
Gawker media in general has dropped off. Some more than others. At least Serrels is flying the flag for us, need him, Vook, Jintor and Jambo to team up to make some super awesome investigative journalism team like those bitchin' 80's cartoons. Jintor can be the head.

Bernbaum said:
Anyone here have an opposite-gender co-worker that they spend more time with than anyone else in their lives who will listen to pretty much anything you have to talk about? Those people are the best. Do everything in your power to keep them around.
Yeah my fellow admin in the office is great to talk to. Especially when it comes to bitching about the company we now work for. Hard for her to get annoyed with me when everyone else are muppets.

Fredescu

AdventureRacing said:
And... "proud history" is hilarious in that context. I'm a Bulldogs supporter. I would never claim that my club had a proud history, because it's actually a pretty shameful one. As is Melbourne's.

Bernbaum said:
I never got my head around it apart from 'If X exists, then this big pile of stuff must be true about the universe'.
Yeah, every time I read up on it I go and read explanations about it for ages trying to understand it. I think it's pretty cool though. For some silly reason I think the notion that "If X doesn't exist, all this stuff we thought before could be wrong" is sort of exciting.

Choc

Banned
Those of you complaining about Melb public transport really should come to Sydney for a few months

Melb PT is light years ahead from what ive used. It's still shit but all of it in Aus is, Sydney is the worst though.

MrSerrels

reptilescorpio said:
Gawker media in general has dropped off. Some more than others. At least Serrels is flying the flag for us, need him, Vook, Jintor and Jambo to team up to make some super awesome investigative journalism team like those bitchin' 80's cartoons. Jintor can be the head.

I should be the spray tanned body.

elfinke

reptilescorpio said:
Lower cost of living? Also the more attractive women. Also better music venues, so many awesome venues.
Posting from phone so I probably made a mess of getting the quote right, but Tivoli Theatre > Melbourne concert venues.

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
Hey Bern, have you heard of a band called Boysetsfire? You should check out their After The Eulogy album. Has one of my favourite songs on it. Thought you might be interested since you have an interest in the old hardcore bands. Actually all their stuff is great. Just a shame they broke up before finding a bigger audience.

Apart from seeing the band's name show up in old Streetcleaner catalogues, can't say I've listened to them.

I recently bought a whole bunch of stuff from alexisonfire, which despite being a band whose name appears on t-shirts of teenagers that choose to clog up my beloved Brisbane CBD with their mopiness, make some pretty great music. I found I only had time for songs where Dallas Green features heavily (he's the 'soft' screamo singer who can actually hit the notes he's going for) and then got one his albums from his solo folk effort 'City and Color'. Great stuff, but I already binged on alt-folk a few years back.

Fun game: 'Dallas Green' performs under the name 'City and Color'.

Think about it.

midonnay

RandomVince said:
The economic stimulus program from 2009 cost ~40 to 50 billion. Much of it went towards covering up the economic hole created by incompetence and lack of oversight in the US market. So it was essentially a waste of money, or rather a bill required to make up for waste going on elsewhere. It seemed to do it's job at least.

I don't think 100bn over a decade or two is a completely outlandish prospect if it could be demonstrated to have major benefits to the country as a whole. Being a major attraction for engineering and highly skilled employees from around the world would be a big boost to the domestic economy. Hell, look at India. It has driven its economy from basket case to rapid growth on the back of a strong focus on employing new technology and intelligent workers.

so a space program as a stimulus program? o_O

not really fair to compare to India where the labour costs are tiny compared to western countries. (around the same number of staff as Nasa at 1/20th the budget)

if you take the euro space agency or NASA's budget as an example its more like 1 or 2 million dollars per employee per year. So many benefit only a couple of thousand people.

Compare that with the opportunity cost of 100 billion dollars used elsewhere. Medical research, e-health, public transport etc which would affect just about the whole population.

Also why do you need to go to space to gain new technology?

isn't it more efficient to fund scientific organisations like the CSIRO directly?

Bernbaum said:
Apart from seeing the band's name show up in old Streetcleaner catalogues, can't say I've listened to them.

I recently bought a whole bunch of stuff from alexisonfire, which despite being a band whose name appears on t-shirts of teenagers that choose to clog up my beloved Brisbane CBD with their mopiness, make some pretty great music. I found I only had time for songs where Dallas Green features heavily (he's the 'soft' screamo singer who can actually hit the notes he's going for) and then got one his albums from his solo folk effort 'City and Color'. Great stuff, but I already binged on alt-folk a few years back.

Fun game: 'Dallas Green' performs under the name 'City and Color'.

Think about it.
Boysetsfire are great. I highly recommend. There was an Aussie band that sounded really similar too, but I can't remember what they were called. And AOF are great. Well there early albums were. There latest stuff has been dull central. Watch Out and Crisis were fantastic though I loved them.

Wait, they broke up? Motherfucker. I mean I've seen them twice, but still. They were good, and they were saying their next album wasn't going to be heavy as hell.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have no idea what happened to this thread and what is happening. Guess that's why I haven't checked it and bothered to keep up with it.

Onedll is prob not wise reptile..

Gazunta

I left the office an hour ago. I am still in the city. To be more accurate I have got on the wrong train, and am now struggling to figure out how the hell to get home.

As someone who has busted his ass worrying about user experience, player navigation and making sure the end user has enough information to make decisions for the past seven years, I can safely say the user interface of public transport is fucking fucked.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gazunta said:
I left the office an hour ago. I am still in the city. To be more accurate I have got on the wrong train, and am now struggling to figure out how the hell to get home.

As someone who has busted his ass worrying about user experience, player navigation and making sure the end user has enough information to make decisions for the past seven years, I can safely say the user interface of public transport is fucking fucked.

Need a hand? What suburb are you heading to and from where?

If I see another twentysomething male sporting an ironic Gunther moustache wearing a stupid grandpa jumper, or a girl wearing clothes from Pretty in Pink, I will punch a baby in the face. I fucking hate hipsters.

Imagine squalling seas of hatred, while Choc screams into a megaphone and tradies are using jackhammers on concrete. That is what it is like in my head when I see hipsters.

Here is a cute kitten.

2hhetfm.jpg

Aww.

FallbackPants said:
Wait, they broke up? Motherfucker. I mean I've seen them twice, but still. They were good, and they were saying their next album wasn't going to be heavy as hell.
Actually they said the new album was going to be even heavier. Turns out the harsh vocalist has taken over vocals for Gallows? Damn it man, Frank Carter had a fantastic, distinctive voice.

Top Bottom