• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Gazunta

I am emptying out my work hard drive. It is very zen like.

wOkRB.png

And nobody ever talked on trains and stuff 30 years ago, it's nothing new.

Deeku

The thing I hate these days is that when you go out to dinner with a group of friends or something, half that group would just whip their iphones out at the table and browse the internet instead of, you know, talking with each other. It's seriously the rudest thing ever.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
reptilescorpio said:
Apple are style over substance. They package things brilliantly and cater to their market perfectly. They are gods of marketing. They create percevied value in their products when any other product is better value based on the product itself. They saw an underutilised market of afluent artistic (in their minds) people who wanted a beautiful looking computer that would make people swoon in appreciation. Laptops arent bad at least.

LOL

commanderdeek said:
The thing I hate these days is that when you go out to dinner with a group of friends or something, half that group would just whip their iphones out at the table and browse the internet instead of, you know, talking with each other. It's seriously the rudest thing ever.

Wow. That has never happened to me, and I have no idea how I'd deal with that situation. Agree that it is incredibly rude though.

jambo

commanderdeek said:

People do this? I can understand checking your phone if it rings or you get a message, but web browsing?

legend166

I'm sloooooooowly making my way through Dune.

I'm like 10% in and still confused about what's going on.

Someone tell me if this is right:

There are these two families, the Harkonnens and the Atredies. They are like nobles. Paul Atredies is like some special kid (how old is he?) who's being groomed to be awesome or something. The Emperor has told Duke Atredies that he must take over Arrakis, AKA the dune planet. The Harkonnens are seeing this as an opportunity to kill off the Atredies for some reason. So they've bribed/planted some people who are around the Atredies family to help them do this.

Is that about right?

elfinke

commanderdeek said:

Yeah I see that all the time. Last time I went out for Thai there was a large party of college students across from me, and when there was a lull in conversation in an area of the lengthy table almost inevitably that part of the table would turn to their phones. Blurgh.

jambo said:
People do this? I can understand checking your phone if it rings or you get a message, but web browsing?

Yeah people do this unfortunately.

Same thing happens when you go out for drinks to "catch up" with a group of friends and half of them browse their phones, instead of "catching up".

legend166 said:

There are these two families, the Harkonnens and the Atredies. They are like nobles. Paul Atredies is like some special kid (how old is he?) who's being groomed to be awesome or something. The Emperor has told Duke Atredies that he must take over Arrakis, AKA the dune planet. The Harkonnens are seeing this as an opportunity to kill off the Atredies for some reason. So they've bribed/planted some people who are around the Atredies family to help them do this.

Is that about right?

Pretty much. It's been a while since I read it, so if I get something wrong, sorry, but Arrakis is pretty much a license to print cash. The spice is the stuff that makes everything possible, and it's only found on Arrakis. Atredies get it and the Harkonnens, who hate each other, want it. They see it as a chance to kill off the Atredies and take Dune at the same time.

Really good book. I have some issues with it, but I thought it was great. Has anyone read the sequels? Are they worth it? I remember being keen to read them after I read Dune, but never got around to it.

legend166 said:

Is that about right?
Basically, the Harkonnens once owned this planet, but they f*cked it up, prompting the emperor to kick them out and install the Atriedes as the rulers. Thing is, Arrakis is hard to defend and Duke Atreides is massively understaffed, so the Harkonnens see a chance to invade, take back their planet by right of conquest and destroy their enemies in one stroke. Anyway, later in the book (spoilers)
the emperor sends his own personal army in with the invading fleet wearing Harkonnen uniforms, so it was all a ploy to plunder the Atreides for all they were worth.

elfinke

jambo said:
So who's going to go see The Lion King 3D in cinemas when it comes out later this month?

I'll be there!

Guaranteed to not come within several hundred kilometers of me, so unfortunately it looks like I'll miss it :(

Was dead keen to see it, too.

Cohsae

codswallop said:
Anyone else watch Louie? Just started last week and am enjoying it.
YES! Been watching second season (never saw the first) and what an amazing show. Hard to describe just why it's so good. It switches from hilarious to surreal to sad/profound in a heartbeat and everyone should watch it.
It's brutally honest too. The end of the episode with Doug Stanhope, and the episode where he's professing his love to that girl who's name I can't remember...those moments have to be taken from his life surely, they just seem so incredibly real in a way that relationships on TV very rarely are.

Frawdder

Red Orchestra 2 beta is up, downloading now.

Also, RO2 beta is this weeks AusGAF Games Night game, again, not 100% sure how it will work, probably attempt to all join the same server.

Next week we'll get off the beta games as we go terrorist hunting in Counter Strike: Source. I was planning to book a GA server so we can have it all to ourselves, but I don't know what are good modes or maps so if you plan on playing please let me know which maps should be included in the rotation and which modes we should play. Good idea?

jambo

Frawdder said:

Also, RO2 beta is this weeks AusGAF Games Night game, again, not 100% sure how it will work, probably attempt to all join the same server.

God dammit, I'm supposed to be packing tonight and tomorrow night.

I'll sneak in a match or two when I get home tonight!

elfinke

Frawdder said:

Next week we'll get off the beta games as we go terrorist hunting in Counter Strike: Source. I was planning to book a GA server so we can have it all to ourselves, but I don't know what are good modes or maps so if you plan on playing please let me know which maps should be included in the rotation and which modes we should play. Good idea?

I realised this week that I had only ordered the standard edition, so no Beta for me :( You guys beta have lots of feedback.

Yagharek

hamchan said:
I am currently reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov. It's pretty good.

Have you read his other stuff? Robots/Empire series?

Foundation is fucking phenomenal. I read it in the order:

Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation, Foundation's Edge, Foundation and Earth.

Then read the two prequels; Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation.

I highly recommend the entire series.

There are two characters in particular who are real standouts, but I wont mention their names at all.

edit: and as far as ASoIaF goes, I notice there are several others in the thread like me who are a couple of books in now (I just finished Storm of Swords Pt 1, also the two before it in 5 weeks). So many nasty characters in it. I'd hate to ever meet anyone like them.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Can we make sure we don't go to a new page, I like being greeted with boobs on AusGAF.

reptilescorpio said:
Apple are style over substance. They package things brilliantly and cater to their market perfectly. They are gods of marketing. They create percevied value in their products when any other product is better value based on the product itself. They saw an underutilised market of afluent artistic (in their minds) people who wanted a beautiful looking computer that would make people swoon in appreciation. Laptops arent bad at least.
I don't entirely agree. Apple's approach recognises that people can have a personal attachment to their tech, and don't see their devices simply as commodities. Such people will appreciate good design with respect to those devices and are willing to pay more money in order to get it. A good analogy would be the car industry, where some people will similarly have a personal attachment to the product rather than seeing it as a commodity.

If looking solely at underlying specs vs price, Apple products will fare poorly against competitors, but that fails to take into account the value of good design to the consumer. Again, it's a similar situation in the car industry: if you compare the power output vs price of a BMW and a Kia then the BMW will fare very poorly. But that fails to take into account the value of good design to the consumer.

Many people don't feel a sense of attachment to their tech or their cars, and those people won't be willing to pay a premium for good design of those products, but apparently many others are willing to pay a premium for good design. The final question is just how much of a premium are people willing to pay? Obviously it will vary from person to person, but Apple's job is to figure out the sweet spot that maximises profit for them. Clearly they're doing a fairly good job of it at the moment.

Clipper

VOOK said:
Can we make sure we don't go to a new page, I like being greeted with boobs on AusGAF.
Be careful what you wish for. EatChildren might lock the thread 700 posts before we're due for 4.0... :p

On that matter, we really should start preparing for the transition soon. We'll likely be at the threshold for the new thread in about a week.

Edit: And if we keep up the post rate of the last 24 hours, we'll go over on Saturday!

Clipper

OK, so let's not let this creep up on us at the last moment this time. Are we going to stick with the tired, old 4.0 numbering or go with something new for the thread's next iteration.

AusG4F perhaps :p

We missed our chances to get AusGAF 3D and other cool ideas last time as we waited too late for VOOK to see our suggestions, so let's do it right this time! We should also take banner and new subtitle submissions, although I can't think of much for that right now, at least until the R rating comes in for real.

codswallop said:
Would lots of extra money make you have more confidence in the job and the company?
It would make it easier to get up in the morning knowing that I can save up some cash over the next 12 months and quit with a nice little buffer to find a great job this time.

Also isnt the lock at 30,000 posts?

Also I have an attachment to nvidia and intel after many great years with them but if a competitor will offer better actual value (better price with better reliability and better features) I would make the smart choice. I dont mind if my computer doesnt have awards for style, I own it to serve a functional purpose, not to show off to people.

endlessflood said:
I don't entirely agree. Apple's approach recognises that people can have a personal attachment to their tech, and don't see their devices simply as commodities. Such people will appreciate good design with respect to those devices and are willing to pay more money in order to get it. A good analogy would be the car industry, where some people will similarly have a personal attachment to the product rather than seeing it as a commodity.

If looking solely at underlying specs vs price, Apple products will fare poorly against competitors, but that fails to take into account the value of good design to the consumer. Again, it's a similar situation in the car industry: if you compare the power output vs price of a BMW and a Kia then the BMW will fare very poorly. But that fails to take into account the value of good design to the consumer.

Many people don't feel a sense of attachment to their tech or their cars, and those people won't be willing to pay a premium for good design of those products, but apparently many others are willing to pay a premium for good design. The final question is just how much of a premium are people willing to pay? Obviously it will vary from person to person, but Apple's job is to figure out the sweet spot that maximises profit for them. Clearly they're doing a fairly good job of it at the moment.
It's not even design people want though, it's the idea of luxury. Apple is a premium brand. Even though every arsehole and their dog has one, iPhones, iPads and Macbooks are seen as high end stuff. Regardless of the truth of that.

People are willing to pay more for what they see as a premium product. For example when Volvos first came out they were just an averagely priced car. They went nowhere. They uped the price and marketed themselves as a luxury brand and found huge success. They didn't change the car at all.

jambo

Bernbaum said:
We should all be thankful these films will never get the Lucas/Spielberg 'Lets update with modern effects trololol' treatment.

I was reading through the Star Wars Blu-ray thread earlier and some of the changes are horrible.

Cohsae

jambo said:
I was reading through the Star Wars Blu-ray thread earlier and some of the changes are horrible.
I just will never understand why he has to change things. And so many of the changes are so pointless. I can imagine explaining them to someone and them saying "Why do you even care that he changed that?" But that's precisely the point. WHY!? I DON'T GET IT.

The Vader no in RotJ, God I hope that's not real. How fucking dumb does he think people are that he didn't think we could figure out what's going on in Vader's head in that scene? Does he really think people couldn't get the little bit of subtlety there? ARGH

Top Bottom