• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
reptilescorpio said:
Zomg persona 4 vita! And a fighting version? Hook it into my veins.jpeg

Please let the Vita be released ahead of schedule

I swear GAF are the only people who give a shit about that game.

elfinke

Seems to be largely regarding the Minister's declaration that Malaysia is fit to send asylum seekers to. High court didn't agree with the argument - needed to be 'more rigorous'.

Any agreement between Malaysia and Australia that outlined the necessities of such a deal was not viewed by the HCA the same way that the govt's lawyers did. The HCA didn't think that any proposed deal would be upheld - pertaining to the rights of the asylum seekers.

Can't wait to hear Abbott et al going on about this now...

elfinke

http://www.smh.com.au/national/high-court-rules-against-malaysia-swap-20110831-1jl1d.html

High Court rules against Malaysia swap
August 31, 2011 - 2:33PM
High Court judgment
The federal government's Malaysian people swap deal has been ruled unlawful by the High Court, in a 5-2 judgment.

Chief Justice Robert French said the court ordered Immigration Minister Chris Bowen and his department to be restrained from sending asylum seekers to Malaysia.

Advertisement: Story continues below
''The declaration made ... was made without power and is invalid,'' Justice French said.

The government had wanted to send 800 asylum seekers to Malaysia in exchange for 4000 already processed refugees in Malaysia.

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
So has the idea of sending them all to Tasmania been floated yet? Less voters to get outraged, plus mainlanders would be cool with that idea. win win!

Tasmania took Kosovo refugees back in ye not so olde days.

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
So has the idea of sending them all to Tasmania been floated yet? Less voters to get outraged, plus mainlanders would be cool with that idea. win win!

They tried that once and they went and settled Melbourne eventually.

elfinke

5-2, but I can't find who dissented yet.

Unaccompanied minor's can't be taken from Australia without the minister's written agreement. Looks like a challenge on legislation might be on, which will be fun for this minority govt.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
top up your myki

*click next*

please wait...

10 minutes later i'm still waiting.. and its been doing this to me for 2 days so i'm having to pay $10 a day ugh

Omikron

HolyCheck said:
top up your myki

*click next*

please wait...

10 minutes later i'm still waiting.. and its been doing this to me for 2 days so i'm having to pay $10 a day ugh

Use the machine at the station? Easier.

jambo

HolyCheck said:
top up your myki

*click next*

please wait...

Have you tried different browsers?

Other people topping it up for you?

Machine at the station?

Shaneus

Clipper said:
OK, so let's not let this creep up on us at the last moment this time. Are we going to stick with the tired, old 4.0 numbering or go with something new for the thread's next iteration.

AusG4F perhaps :p

We missed our chances to get AusGAF 3D and other cool ideas last time as we waited too late for VOOK to see our suggestions, so let's do it right this time! We should also take banner and new subtitle submissions, although I can't think of much for that right now, at least until the R rating comes in for real.
Nah, 4usGAF.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
HolyCheck said:
top up your myki

*click next*

please wait...

How are you doing it and why aren't you using a myki pass like the rest of us? You work 5 days a week, go with a 28 day pass. $160, it's how I roll.

Will try and grab ro2 beta tonight but I'm 50 pages or softom the end of book 2 in a song of fire and ice, must finish that tonight.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
evlcookie said:
How are you doing it and why aren't you using a myki pass like the rest of us? You work 5 days a week, go with a 28 day pass. $160, it's how I roll.

Will try and grab ro2 beta tonight but I'm 50 pages or softom the end of book 2 in a song of fire and ice, must finish that tonight.
'
yeah thats what i do but because it's expired and i didnt realise it was expiring and then i know itll take 5+ days to put the credit on there... ugh

got it done using my touchpad lol.

wont get home til 8pm tonight but atleast I have some schnitzels ive made waiting for me <3

elfinke

Hearing now it was 6-1 HCA decision. That's some emphatic disagreement.

Refugee lawyers asked the High Court to strike down the deal, arguing that the Immigration Minister did not have the power to send asylum seekers to a country that has no legal obligations to protect them.

They also argued that sending unaccompanied minors to Malaysia would breach the minister's duty of care as their legal guardian to act in their best interests.

But Commonwealth Solicitor-General Stephen Gageler argued the government could lawfully declare Malaysia a safe third country even though it had no domestic nor international legal obligations to protect asylum seekers.

A majority of the full bench ruled Mr Bowen's declaration that Malaysia was an appropriate country to which to send aslyum seekers was invalid.

elfinke

lol Holy.

Spoiler contains disbelief at Manly v Melb incident that I only just watched. If you're a passionate NRL supporter, don't read it.

What a crock of crap that was. Handbags and lipstick at 12 paces followed by nancy slap handing while walking off? And it's cost the clubs $50k each? What a joke of a sport.

midonnay

according to someone on Sky news.... we still have to accept the 4000 refugees from Malaysia....

that would truly be epic fail if true >_<

Top Bottom