• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Trying to find a good deal for Deus Ex HR (PS3).

Ozgameshop has it for $59.99, Dungeon Crawl has it for $57 and ebay has it for $55.

Any other place where I might get it cheaper?

hamchan

Just finished David Tennant's run of Doctor Who. He really was a great doctor. ;_;

Now onwards to season 5 and Torchwood season 4!!!

DeathJr said:

Ozgameshop has it for $59.99, Dungeon Crawl has it for $57 and ebay has it for $55.

This link says Play-asia sells it for around $50 shipped, if you're not fussy about region...

DeathJr said:

Play Asia has it for $50, which means it will arrive earlier than the UK copies too. In the future check out gamecafe.com.au as it does a fairly accurate rundown of where you can find the cheapest copies of games. Sometimes they have users put bullshit up but it is quick to see.

Also wtf is with all the random bundles for Dead Island? First all the Turtle Beach headsets now bundling the Zombieland DVD with it?

Damn: Beaten hard.

hamchan said:
Just finished David Tennant's run of Doctor Who. He really was a great doctor. ;_;
I would love to see him in more stuff, he would have made a great Sherlock Holmes too. Not much of a Doctor Who fan but I really enjoyed him, although for some reason his appearance reminds me of Dylan Moran which makes me sad that we aren't getting any new shows with him. :(

Choc said:
im watching sky omi, heh

there is some crazy shit going on there
Do they have strippers writing peoples names on cards and sticking them on a big map?

reptilescorpio said:
Strange, usually I get their stuff in around 5-7 days while UK stuff takes 10-15 days.

Yeah, my last order from P-A was fairly snappy. They can be a little slow around Christmas, but they're otherwise pretty good.

Jintor

I'm still waiting on my 360 control + dongle for PC gamepad needs, been playing with an old gamepad I last used for Metal Slug back in 2004...

Can someone link me to Clipper's Dolphin guide? Thinking of trying out Xenoblade on mah PC. Or at least to see if I need to upgrade...

Jintor said:
I'm still waiting on my 360 control + dongle for PC gamepad needs, been playing with an old gamepad I last used for Metal Slug back in 2004...

Can someone link me to Clipper's Dolphin guide? Thinking of trying out Xenoblade on mah PC. Or at least to see if I need to upgrade...
The last few pages in this thread is focused on getting Xenoblades running as well as possible. Maybe even post in there with any problems while running it.

Omikron

Choc said:
ahahaha PDC is on sky

8)

Also, Joe Cole to lille for the season.

and WHU have shipped off Ilunga by the sounds (rangers is the strong bet, they need left sided players from what I remember when McKay signed for them)

As per the Jaffe keynote, what game has the kind of gameplay that you will think that will still be renowned or enjoyable in 50 years time?
The first to come to my mind is Devil May Cry (and by extension Bayonetta). Even today I can pick it up and have a huge grin on my face as I execute massive, fluid combos as if I had spent the last 20 hours playing.
I think it is also a big reason why I love Rise of Nations as it takes the gameplay of AoE and Civ and melds it into something incredibly enjoyable to wield. I still boot it up today and have a great time, suddenly it is 1am and I have to be up in 6 hours for work.
That is where a game like GTA3 falls down for me. At the moment I still think of it fondly because of the massive leap in technology that it took, as well as the cinematic leap with the storyline. Trying to play it today though, is a painful chore. The gameplay is really rough. It is the kind of game that would need more than a HD polish up, it would need all the improvements that the genre has brought along since. The same will be said of GTA4 once the graphics become antiquated.

reptilescorpio said:
As per the Jaffe keynote, what game has the kind of gameplay that you will think that will still be renowned or enjoyable in 50 years time?

Is it cheating to say Super Mario Galaxy/New Super Mario Bros. Wii et al? Their basis has remained enjoyable for 25 years, it should probably last 25 more.

Yagharek

Pac Man is another. Like Mario bros, its simple, kinetic, frantic and essentially perfect. Like chess and association football, simple concepts prosper when they allow for advanced and lower level play that is still fun.

In contrast, AAA tosh will be forgotten soon enough. They are all tech dependent and superseded within a year. And often forgotten by the next 2 for $50 sale.

Box of Bunnies said:
Is it cheating to say Super Mario Galaxy/New Super Mario Bros. Wii et al? Their basis has remained enjoyable for 25 years, it should probably last 25 more.
Not cheating but it is the easy answer since they have already stood for so many years. Much more interested in games from the last decade or so as I like to acknowledge whether a game did indeed only succeed on its execution or if it had such a brilliant base idea that it will always be considered great gameplay.

RandomVince said:
Pac Man is another. Like Mario bros, its simple, kinetic, frantic and essentially perfect. Like chess and association football, simple concepts prosper when they allow for advanced and lower level play that is still fun.

In contrast, AAA tosh will be forgotten soon enough. They are all tech dependent and superseded within a year. And often forgotten by the next 2 for $50 sale.
The indie games lately have been a great example of a simple concept without the superfluous bullshit that has been attached during the AAA marketing process. I would also argue that Space Chem has such a tight, yet deep gameplay model that it will still be enjoyed in 50 years time.

Yagharek

I'm just going to throw out another statement:

Well crafted games like Half Life and Deus Ex will be long remembered too because they are well written and internally self consistent, congruent worlds. But that's a harder argument to make and one I'll come back to in the morning.

I'll just leave it that half life 2 is the greatest narrative game this side of ocarina, possibly its equal and at least as lovingly crafted.

Music games should generally hold together pretty well. Taking something intuitive like rhythm and adding a simple gameplay concept on top allows them to be accessible to everyone but open to deeper mastery, and their gameplay shouldn't be affected by age for the most part.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
The first to come to my mind is Devil May Cry (and by extension Bayonetta). Even today I can pick it up and have a huge grin on my face as I execute massive, fluid combos as if I had spent the last 20 hours playing.
I think it is also a big reason why I love Rise of Nations as it takes the gameplay of AoE and Civ and melds it into something incredibly enjoyable to wield. I still boot it up today and have a great time, suddenly it is 1am and I have to be up in 6 hours for work.
That is where a game like GTA3 falls down for me. At the moment I still think of it fondly because of the massive leap in technology that it took, as well as the cinematic leap with the storyline. Trying to play it today though, is a painful chore. The gameplay is really rough. It is the kind of game that would need more than a HD polish up, it would need all the improvements that the genre has brought along since. The same will be said of GTA4 once the graphics become antiquated.
I'm going to cheat and say any one of the multitude of pinball machines. While most games we are familiar with now may be thought of to have gameplay that will transcend graphics and time, there were games that felt like that in the past which almost certainly haven't. Pinball, however, has largely stayed the same and a table that has decent design and a good theme can be replayed hundreds of times with next to no enjoyment lost... if anything it's increased.

Kind of a cop out answer, but it's really the only gaming platform that won't succumb to technological advances.

If restricted to strictly video games, I'd have to throw my hat in the ring for something that is capable of providing an incredibly simple but fun environment for same-room mainstream multiplayer. Rock Band, classic Bomberman, Mario Kart... simple games that will still hold up for many years not strictly because of game design but how easily they allow people to play with and against each other.

Yagharek

Box of Bunnies said:
Music games should generally hold together pretty well. Taking something intuitive like rhythm and adding a simple gameplay concept on top allows them to be accessible to everyone but open to deeper mastery, and their gameplay shouldn't be affected by age for the most part.

Agreed. Stuff like Rez as well would fall under that category too. Add to that shmups of Treasure ilk, with the simple core mechanics.

Yagharek

And cinematic wank like heavy rain etc will be forgotten quicker than Twilight. Puerile, immature fanfic level rubbish that has less intellectual merit than a Today Tonight phone poll.

Add to that list: LA Noire, Assassins Creed, Gears of War, Mass Effect and any other game that takes its story seriously. Especially with the level of writing we see in games today. Do all writers and gamers have a fucking Messiah Complex?

Hacks!

RandomVince said:

Well crafted games like Half Life and Deus Ex will be long remembered too because they are well written and internally self consistent, congruent worlds. But that's a harder argument to make and one I'll come back to in the morning.

I'll just leave it that half life 2 is the greatest narrative game this side of ocarina, possibly its equal and at least as lovingly crafted.
Both very correct. Deus Ex is still regarded warmly even though so much of it is covered in shit. The basic idea that Ion Storm had shines through the garbage and people still play it today and wish more games had similar gameplay systems, which is why DE3 is getting such great reviews. Not many games looked at the potential handed to the player as they move through the world and decided to do the same thing. Which fucking sucks. Also System Shock 2.

Half Life took the idea of FPS and decided, "Why make it first person if you don't want to immerse the player in the world?" Valve created a thrilling, visceral experience that, although not as strong today, makes your time in Gordon Freeman's boots your time. They become your boots even though it isn't your name. The final moment of the series so far is STILL so powerful that I cannot see how another Half Life game will raise the bar again. Half Life focuses its efforts rather than spreads them out, with each piece of gameplay intrinsically linked to the narrative so it feels like you are controlling the story rather than running the gauntlet. You only really ever have one path but you aren't gaping blindly in the dark. You automatically FEEL like you know what to do, where to go, how to shoot. Again it helps that few other developers have tried their hand at doing a better job than Valve.

Box of Bunnies said:
Still love the hell out of Amplitude and picked up Rock Band on PSP just to relive the experience. Audiosurf will hold up well, Beat Hazard not so much since it is so freeform. Again it is because the developer has distilled and polished their concept to such a point that the gameplay allows the player the ability to create their experience. Your enjoyment is based entirely on how much you want to put into the game so if you want to relax you can, if you want to push yourself to the limits you can. Choice is a very powerful gameplay technique if implemented to the player correctly. False choice destroys any immersion a player could feel and renders the game nothing more than a product.

RandomVince said:
Add to that list: LA Noire, Assassins Creed, Gears of War, Mass Effect and any other game that takes its story seriously. Especially with the level if writing we see in games today. Fucking Messiah Complex and nothing else. Hacks!
Mass Effect will be remembered for its story but the clunky (yet great) RPG/combat system will hold it back from being remembered fondly in 20 years time. The converse is ME2 which has great combat but has much less depth than it feels like it should. It will be remembered as a competent shooter but nothing more.

At least Assassins Creed has a fantastic gameplay system, the first may have had some crappy mission designs but the core aspect of combat and movement is great to play much like Sands of Time. I feel one of the titles (probably the second as the third may have introduced too much extra bullshit) will be remembered well in 20 years time.

Shaneus said:
If restricted to strictly video games, I'd have to throw my hat in the ring for something that is capable of providing an incredibly simple but fun environment for same-room mainstream multiplayer. Rock Band, classic Bomberman, Mario Kart... simple games that will still hold up for many years not strictly because of game design but how easily they allow people to play with and against each other.
The gameplay system of Pinball is generally the same, save the same differences between boards so I wouldn't really count them in terms of video games as games have such a wide variety.

The point of same room multiplayer is a big point though. It in itself is a great example of drawing back an idea to simplicity not out of laziness but to create an even playing field for players to inject themselves into. No one was allowed to play as the monkey in Time Splitters 2 because it wrecked the balance of determining who could use the gameplay techniques better in a situation raised by human control, the smaller monkey gave an unfair advantage to only one of the players, breaking the enjoyment of using the game as a playground of sorts.

Same reason LBP was so much fun to play with my girl friend, even when I did push her into the lava it was funny because she knew I did it on purpose. Goldeneye and Mario Kart still come out on campus because anyone can pick up and play and have a great time. The simplicity of the gameplay allows for immediate enjoyment without sifting through bullshit waiting for the fun to begin. Screwing with that formula or adding new things takes away the fun.

Shaneus said:
Kind of a cop out answer, but it's really the only gaming platform that won't succumb to technological advances.

I don't think I've played on an actual pinball table in fifteen years or more. Then again, the only arcade cabinet I know of around here is one of those multi-game things shoved into a corner of one of the local pubs (which is pretty good for a go of Bomb Jack or Donkey Kong when out with mates).

The Gottlieb collection for Wii was pretty awesome, though. Don't think the Williams one ever came out here, which is a shame.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
and any other game that takes its story seriously.
I agree with your list, but don't really agree with this phrase. On the rare occaision that the story (and/or writing) is actually good, the game becomes timeless. See stuff like Planescape: Torment. I think I will be able to play Mask of the Betrayer and Fallout: New Vegas for example in 20 years and still really enjoy them.

Jintor

Torment yes, Mask maybe, Vegas probably not - Bethesda (and Obsidian) jank really make that game suffer.

Fred, did you end up giving Rezbit advice on his PC Build?

Jintor

I'll check in with the tech editor... probably don't need to get a sound system, keyboard and mouse though, i'll just reuse this lot.

Hmm, I can probably reconfigure this PC as a media server once I'm done...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
reptilescorpio said:

Not God of War, thats for sure.

I agree with you, actually. Bayonetta specifically, but mostly that style of play. Mechanically the Devil May Cry/Bayonetta games dont feel like an extension or hybrid of another genre. They're highly defined on a functional level, and usually guaged in quality by the way they present those functions.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I sit here awake realizing I have 3 months to somehow get my license. It's not too bad if I miss out since there's only a 3 month wait after I re-get my l's before I can do the test again. So I either get in before december this year or around my bday in march / April next year.

Why was I so lazy on this task. Makes me sad and sick of myself.

Shaneus

Box of Bunnies said:
The Gottlieb collection for Wii was pretty awesome, though. Don't think the Williams one ever came out here, which is a shame.
I pretty much bought a PS3 solely so I could import the Williams Pinball Collection! They've actually announced a local release date for PS3 and 369 of sometime this month, I think... brings the delay to about a year and a half or something.

If it's a budget title (it should be) I highly recommend picking it up. Some amazing tables in it, a few of which I've played IRL.

Clipper

Shaneus said:
I pretty much bought a PS3 solely so I could import the Williams Pinball Collection! They've actually announced a local release date for PS3 and 369 of sometime this month, I think... brings the delay to about a year and a half or something.

If it's a budget title (it should be) I highly recommend picking it up. Some amazing tables in it, a few of which I've played IRL.
I keep nearly buying the Williams collection on multiple systems, but still haven't yet.

I expect I'll wait for the 3DS one to hit budget prices. I think it's kind of cool that they have a mode where you hold the 3DS upside-down so that the bottom of the table is in 3D, but not enough to buy it at retail price.

EatChildren said:
Not God of War, thats for sure.

I agree with you, actually. Bayonetta specifically, but mostly that style of play. Mechanically the Devil May Cry/Bayonetta games dont feel like an extension or hybrid of another genre. They're highly defined on a functional level, and usually guaged in quality by the way they present those functions.
Yeah Jaffe admitted that, he said the reason it was a big hit was the execution that resulted in an epic adventure which is correct.

Great story does indeed make for a timeless game Fred but will it be played in 50 years time? Torment has a gameplay system dependant on choice which will help it stand the test of time but games that don't have that to back up the story will go unplayed by future generations.

Hope you are feeling better rooster!

legend166

Rez pretty much had my build, except with a different graphics card.

I got:

i5 2500k CPU
ASRock Z68 Pro3 MB
8GB G.Skills RAM
Crucial M4 64GB SSD
Corsair HX-650 650W PSU
COOLER MASTER HAF RC-912 Advanced Case
Samsung 2TB(HD204UI) F4EG EcoGreen HDD

Cost $1260 all up.

RandomVince said:

Seriously? Half Life 2? Did we play the same game? It was good sure, but story wise I'd barely put it much above something like Halo.

Games like Planscape, as Fred mentioned, kick the tar out of it. I'd even argue something like Red Dead has a better narrative than HL2.

That's not meant to be an insult to HL2 either, it says more about the state of videogame writing than anything. Someone will eventually make a game with an amazing narrative and set everybody straight. And it won't be Heavy Rain bullshit either, I agree with you on that one Vince.

Stackboy

Has anyone purchased a digital radio? I'm looking for a $100-150 option. Most digital radios I've found are $150+.

Keen to get on the digital bandwagon, since I like listening to the radio while playing Halo, COD online.

Omikron

Where is choc, he is missing out on the transfer fun! :p

West Ham have arguably strengthened and balanced their squad from last season, which is kind of amazing in some ways. List of ins:

Faye (Stoke, Free)
Nolan (Newcastle, Undisc)
Taylor (Bolton, Undisc)
O'brien (Bolton, Free)
Carew (Villa, Free)
McCartney (Sunderland, Loan)
Baldock (MKDons, Undisc)
Montenegro (Deportivo Maldonado, Loan)
Diop (AEK, Free)
Bentley (Spurs, Loan)
Lansbury (Arsenal, Loan)
Demel (Hamburg, Undisc)