• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

elfinke

Omi said:
Where is choc, he is missing out on the transfer fun! :p

West Ham have arguably strengthened and balanced their squad from last season, which is kind of amazing in some ways. List of ins:

Faye (Stoke, Free)
Nolan (Newcastle, Undisc)
Taylor (Bolton, Undisc)
O'brien (Bolton, Free)
Carew (Villa, Free)
McCartney (Sunderland, Loan)
Baldock (MKDons, Undisc)
Montenegro (Deportivo Maldonado, Loan)
Diop (AEK, Free)
Bentley (Spurs, Loan)
Lansbury (Arsenal, Loan)
Demel (Hamburg, Undisc)

The hammers have had an unreal transfer period. Nolan is a huge buy, and my heart goes out to the Toon army for his loss and the idiocy they are enduring under Ashley.

And that's to say say nothing of the quality Bentley brings to the wings. I hope he finds his feet.

Strong Argentine presence at LFC now too.

Omikron

elfinke said:
The hammers have had an unreal transfer period. Nolan is a huge buy, and my heart goes out to the Toon army for his loss and the idiocy they are enduring under Ashley.

And that's to say say nothing of the quality Bentley brings to the wings. I hope he finds his feet.

Nolan in, Parker out means we lose nothing really. For all of Parker's upsides, he didn't want to play for WH anymore.

With Bentley and Matt Taylor on the wings, C.Cole will score plenty and I am glad we hung onto him.

So, because I bought one of those HP TouchPads, I got a free box.net 50GB account, forever. Now, box.net are allowing you to give "colleagues" free 50GB accounts as well, but they're limited to email addresses in the same domain you used when you signed up.

But I signed up with my own domain.

codswallop said:
So, because I bought one of those HP TouchPads, I got a free box.net 50GB account, forever. Now, box.net are allowing you to give "colleagues" free 50GB accounts as well, but they're limited to email addresses in the same domain you used when you signed up.

But I signed up with my own domain.
It's obvious what you must do. Free ausgaf emails at codswallop.com.ai!

Yagharek

Fredescu said:
I agree with your list, but don't really agree with this phrase. On the rare occaision that the story (and/or writing) is actually good, the game becomes timeless. See stuff like Planescape: Torment. I think I will be able to play Mask of the Betrayer and Fallout: New Vegas for example in 20 years and still really enjoy them.

Well my point was more that there are an extremely limited number of games with good writing. Planescape Torment is perhaps one of those 1 in 10,000 titles that actually have good writing. Games that are actually renowned for their storytelling, and are written in a manner comparable to the best writing in other media are so few and far between.

I was more singling out stuff like Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Heavy Rain etc - lots of modern day games that trade off their story as much as the gameplay, and the story itself is nothing special and often nonsensical.

Half Life 2 is a bit different in that sense in that there is very little actual story delivered to the player, rather a sequence of events that string the world and the nature of it to the player. You are essentially passing through an embattled society and witnessing the behaviour of people and seeing an implied history via abandoned architecture. It's a different method to the 'cutscene - shooting bit - cutscene - boss fight' method the other games I mentioned employ.

Except Heavy Rain, which is just bad writing.

Fredescu

FallbackPants said:
Seriously? Half Life 2? Did we play the same game? It was good sure, but story wise I'd barely put it much above something like Halo.

Games like Planscape, as Fred mentioned, kick the tar out of it.
Eh, as a "story", strictly speaking, yes. In terms of immersion in a game world via interactivity, it beats both Torment and Halo and most other games handily. Playing Torment is like sitting down to read a book. Half Life 2 is much better video game. From a single player point of view, Halo doesn't belong in a conversation alongside these games.

Jintor

One thing I think HL2 does particularly well is 'acting' by in-game characters. I think it comes second in Bloodlines to that though. Human Revolution made this highly apparent by having every single character you talked to be hopped up on caffine 80% of the time (barring conversation battles)

Yagharek

Fredescu said:
Eh, as a "story", strictly speaking, yes. In terms of immersion in a game world via interactivity, it beats both Torment and Halo and most other games handily. Playing Torment is like sitting down to read a book. Half Life 2 is much better video game. From a single player point of view, Halo doesn't belong in a conversation alongside these games.

That's the kind of point I was trying to get across in my last post just above.

And there are very few stories in games that could be directly transposed into a book and not be laughed at. Torment is one of those (allegedly - I'm going on reputation here).

I think we are all arguing the same point here. Writing in video games sucks.

I get what you mean by Half Life's immersion but I still don't necessarily think its story is particularly good. It's, and this is where my Halo comparison came from, just an above average sci fi game story.

But yeah the immersion was great in HL2. I wonder why it was such a flash in the pan? It was so widely praised and still loved, and yet games are still cut scene heavy.

Yagharek

For the same reason there aren't many platforming games as good as a Mario game. It takes time and skill to make a quality game, and Valve polishes their games like few others do.

elfinke

http://www.cracked.com/article_18571_5-reasons-its-still-not-cool-to-admit-youre-gamer.html

Was this article mentioned, is it what started this conversation?

I finished HL2 for the first time ever this past week (yes yes, it's my quiet shame. I won't say anything about my history with the Zelda franchise either given the Skyward Sword lovein earlier), despite owning it since brand new. Thoroughly enjoyed every part that wasn't vehicle based. The immersive cutscene-less method of story telling was much appreciated. The tension that was built up in the climactic crescendo ending was nicely done.

elfinke

RandomVince said:
Oh god, please play Ep 1 and 2 as soon as possible.

Yep, they're on my to-do list these coming weeks. I've never played them, not even started them up. At least I had played up to the jetski part of HL2 when I first bought it... yeah that still sounded lame.

Shaneus

Clipper said:
I keep nearly buying the Williams collection on multiple systems, but still haven't yet.

I expect I'll wait for the 3DS one to hit budget prices. I think it's kind of cool that they have a mode where you hold the 3DS upside-down so that the bottom of the table is in 3D, but not enough to buy it at retail price.
It's worth buying on either PS3 or 360 just for the extra tables you get... I'm not sure which ones are available on the 3DS. I'd imagine resolution and ball movement wouldn't help on such a tiny LCD either.

If you have a PS3, you can import it from the US for dirt cheap. Think I paid around $30 for mine still sealed.

Shaneus

Hm. Boxed LE of PC Deus Ex from Ozgameshop is rather cheap. Tempting, too!

Anyone know if the box for the LE is anything special or is it just one of those shitty slightly-bigger-than-DVD-cover?

Omikron

Shaneus said:
Hm. Boxed LE of PC Deus Ex from Ozgameshop is rather cheap. Tempting, too!

Anyone know if the box for the LE is anything special or is it just one of those shitty slightly-bigger-than-DVD-cover?

I think I got the LE... came with a code for an extra mission and some items.

elfinke

So, those of you lucky enough to be playing the RO2 beta (I just saw games.on.net were giving away Beta keys, and a heap of them went to first-ever-post-scum who aren't 'node members, grrr), what's it like? Someone threatened to post up some huge screenshots a page or two back, and none have eventuated, and the gaming threads are rather quiet at the moment.

Jintor said:
Anybody got the Ambassador games yet?
Yeah, but I have an American 3DS.

I've either gone rusty with old age, or the buttons and D-pad on the 3DS suck. I tried to do the slide under the blocks trick in world 1-2 of SMB and I couldn't do it.

Also, I'd much prefer to use B for jump and Y for run/fireball. I had this problem on the GBA as well. I got so used to using the tip of my thumb for B and the first joint for A on the NES pad as a kid that this scheme of rolling my thumb from B to A has always felt unnatural. How in the name of all that is shiny am I meant to do a running jump?

Shaneus

Omi said:
I think I got the LE... came with a code for an extra mission and some items.
Ah, okay. Other than that, nothing special about it?

Anyway, just looked and it's completely sold out at Ozgameshop anyway. Seems like a good way to postpone my purchase of it until after I finish some games.

Edit: Looks like the Augmented Edition that came out in Europe and here contains an extra mission, but isn't available in the US one. Sounds like I should hold off until I track down an EU/AU version of it for cheap.

Omikron

Shaneus said:
Ah, okay. Other than that, nothing special about it?

Anyway, just looked and it's completely sold out at Ozgameshop anyway. Seems like a good way to postpone my purchase of it until after I finish some games.

Yeah, don't believe so.

I was a bit worried when I got it and put in the key, it came up 'UK Only', but all good. 8)

Kerrby

Banned
jambo said:
Shit I forgot to download the Ambassador games this morning?

America has them and it's not even the first of September there, it's the first of September here and we still don't have them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Megadrive said:
Don't feel too bad. I still haven't finished it. :)

Megadrive
Banned
(Today, 09:56 AM)
Reply | Quote

Deeku

B to jump? What is this nonsense?!

D pad position on the 3ds is pretty awkward though. Played through Link's Awakening using mostly the nub.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm thinking of picking up one of these, HP Proliant N36L mini server for my media. OCAU seems to be loving it and it's going to cost around $250 for it without hard drives.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=958208

Anyone here have any experience with it or any thoughts? I have been tempted to buy a AMD Brazo and throw it into a large case, But in all honesty I doubt my media is going to expand at such a rate I need 8 hard drives. If that time comes then I would expect NAS's to be dirt cheap with 50 bays that run off solar power, So many years away.

commanderdeek said:
B to jump? What is this nonsense?!
It puts the jump button under the first thumb joint and lets me press the attack/run button with the tip of my thumb, just like I did on the NES and Super Mario World. Can't do that anymore unless I hold the system at a weird angle.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Megadrive said:
Don't feel too bad. I still haven't finished it. :)

Same, I started playing a few months ago and got bored with it, then I started using cheats to just walk through doors as the game was taking too long, then it glitched out so I quit

Omikron

HolyCheck said:
Same, I started playing a few months ago and got bored with it, then I started using cheats to just walk through doors as the game was taking too long, then it glitched out so I quit

Man, kids these days, all about the instant gratification.

jambo

HolyCheck said:

Man, now I'm glad you moved interstate.

Choc

Banned
picked up driver from the ubisoft doodz today

will play later

also, yes West Ham had an amazing transfer window. Pretty much a premier league team in the championship now. You should get promoted.

Sunderland on the other hand, Bendtner, fuck.

:|

stoke got crouch >_<

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
jambo said:
That's pretty awesome, being able to run a server almost constantly that only draws 150W would be awesome, would make streaming media and download shit a lot easier!

Yea. I did just find a synology blog with packages for the apps that i do want to use.

So maybe I might just grab a 4 bay synology and throw in some drives, install the apps and away it goes.

More expensive than the HP but less fucking around i guess, just plug them in, get the apps going and leave it be. Should use less wattage as well i would think.

Kerrby

Banned
VOOK said:
Red 3DS September 22nd.

How'd you like to do some investigative work and find out when we get the NES games :)?

____

If we're talking about Premier League, FUCK MEIRELES. Asks for a transfer with 30 minutes left and wants to go to Chelsea. Exact same situation with Torres.

Choc

Banned
ok it is time to start feeling a bit sorry for Gillard. She just cannot take a trick.

THE Salvation Army has pulled its support for the Gillard government's controversial pokies cap, putting Labor at odds with the nation's most iconic anti-gambling group.

The turnaround - which follows suggestions that clubs were prepared to bar Salvation Army collectors from their venues - will have major ramifications for the ALP.

Under the deal struck to form government, Prime Minister Julia Gillard must pass the reforms or lose the confidence vote of independent Andrew Wilkie.

when has a prime minister had so much go against them before?

viciouskillersquirrel said:
It puts the jump button under the first thumb joint
... or else it gets the hose again.

Fusebox said:
Only the first season, I found it very hit and miss but when he was on he was really on.
Cohsae said:
YES! Been watching second season (never saw the first) and what an amazing show. Hard to describe just why it's so good. It switches from hilarious to surreal to sad/profound in a heartbeat and everyone should watch it.
(Sorry Cohsae, I missed your response)
Yeah, I don't laugh out loud at much, guess I'm too jaded, but this is brilliant stuff. Alternates between incredibly funny stuff and some super dark depressing stuff.

evlcookie said:
So maybe I might just grab a 4 bay synology and throw in some drives, install the apps and away it goes.
Yeah the Synology and QNAP devices are pretty much what I want to get. Starting to run out of space so it's buy one of these and chuck in some 3TB drives or a SATA card and hope my current big, loud PC can handle it. Really want to move away from WHS though.

Top Bottom