• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

It's that time again! Where I clear out the most precious gaming treasures that I haven't touched in ages and clear out space in my shelves and drawers. This time, it's pretty much all Nintendo, all the time.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/vicious_killer_squirrel/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

Systems:

Gameboy Advance SP2+ (AGS-101 backlit model)

Playstation 2 + accessories

DS:

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (cartridge only)

Radiant Historia w/ Music CD

Tingle's Balloon Fight

GBA:

Final Fantasy VI Advance

NES Classics: Legend of Zelda (cartridge only)

NES Classics: Zelda II The Adventure of Link

Gameboy Color:

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (No box)

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (cartridge only)

Wii:

Kirby's Epic Yarn (JP version)

Super Mario Galaxy (US version)

Gamecube:

Super Mario Sunshine

Madrical

Banned
So where does everyone import games from? I want Mortal Kombat but I've never imported before.. I know PlayAsia is supposed to be pretty decent, and there's always eBay..

Also of note if anyone cares, it seems Bully & the older GTA games are now available on the Australian Steam store. I don't know when this happened so I may be way too late, but just FYI. I couldn't buy them during the recent Rockstar sale.

Madrical said:
So where does everyone import games from? I want Mortal Kombat but I've never imported before.. I know PlayAsia is supposed to be pretty decent, and there's always eBay..

Also of note if anyone cares, it seems Bully & the older GTA games are now available on the Australian Steam store. I don't know when this happened so I may be way too late, but just FYI. I couldn't buy them during the recent Rockstar sale.
OzGameShop
Zavvi
Play Asia (have to pay postage though which sucks)
Some people have used Amazon

Also GameCafe is a really useful search engine to find out where a game is cheapest.

The Rockstar games have been up for a while. It is only Vice City that has been missing which is why we didn't get the awesome pack sale. The first two GTA games are freeware anyway.

Ydahs

Madrical said:

TheHut, a UK site is the one I use.

Mortal Kombat PS3: http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/ps3/mortal-kombat/10207055.html ($47 w/o shipping)

Shipping times vary between a 14-21 days.

Seems you can find Vice City on steam from Aus now. Was able to add it to my cart, didn't buy it cause already have a copy of it; wasn't able to do that before I don't think.

Madrical

Banned
FreeFallin' said:
Seems you can find Vice City on steam from Aus now. Was able to add it to my cart, didn't buy it cause already have a copy of it; wasn't able to do that before I don't think.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I think SA only became available this year too, although I might be wrong. Wish that sale would pop up again now, wouldn't mind playing some VC, and I've never played III!

Ydahs said:
TheHut, a UK site is the one I use.

Mortal Kombat PS3: http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/ps3/mortal-kombat/10207055.html ($47 w/o shipping)

Shipping times vary between a 14-21 days.

Thanks dude, I'll check that out. $47 is a pretty decent price, I think any future console purchases I make (PS3/360 exclusives) are going to be imported from now on. I own around 50 PS360 games and would've been a lot cheaper if I started importing from the start.

FreeFallin' said:
Indeed it is. Wasn't available a few weeks ago when the Rockstar sale was on, wonder what changed?

Note that zavvi.com and thehut.com are the same company, and ozgameshop.com are an Australian front (thus charge in Australian dollars) for 365games.co.uk.

There's also base.com (who I think are also dvd.co.uk). And finally startupmedia.co.uk, *********** and ausgamez.com (I think Australian front end for 4gamez.co.uk?).

I generally use ozgameshop.com or zavvi.com for most of my imports but have used all but the last three above.

Heh, looks like *********** is a blocked term on GAF, so I guess don't use the one that's blocked out (which you can't read).

Madrical

Banned
Wish the shipping wasn't so lengthy for thehut, it'll take probably around a month for it to arrive and by then all the hype will be gone both by myself and on GAF. Shame.

Madrical said:
Wish the shipping wasn't so lengthy for thehut, it'll take probably around a month for it to arrive and by then all the hype will be gone both by myself and on GAF. Shame.
Most get their games in around two weeks, but on occasion up to three. Pretty rare for it to take up to a month (but if it does, there's not much you can do).

Compare ozgameshop's price after taking currency conversion, shipping and credit card currency conversion fees into account. Sometimes it's a bit cheaper, sometimes a bit more expensive.

Madrical

Banned
codswallop said:
Most get their games in around two weeks, but on occasion up to three. Pretty rare for it to take up to a month (but if it does, there's not much you can do).

Compare ozgameshop's price after taking currency conversion, shipping and credit card currency conversion fees into account. Sometimes it's a bit cheaper, sometimes a bit more expensive.

Yeah, the price is around the same however ozgameshop is sold out at the moment. Not surprised since anyone in Australia who wants to play MK has to import it or buy it whilst overseas.

Yagharek

zavvi are rubbish and its often a gamble as to whether or not your orders turn up from them.

Play asia may make you pay for postage, but zavvi dont give you the option to pay for couriers - hence mail gets lost. Play asia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> burn.com >>>>>> ozisoft = zavvi

RandomVince said:
zavvi are rubbish and its often a gamble as to whether or not your orders turn up from them.

Play asia may make you pay for postage, but zavvi dont give you the option to pay for couriers - hence mail gets lost. Play asia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> burn.com >>>>>> ozisoft = zavvi
Really? Never had a problem with Zavvi, prices are much lower than Play Asia. If a package gets lost I would expect them to re-send it as when my Tactics Ogre order took a few days too long I emailed them and they promptly emailed back and said if it didn't arrive they would send out another copy. Cdwow re-sent Fallout 3 when it never arrived.

Ydahs said:
Actually that works out to $50 according to XE when using the 2 pound off voucher BHB2. Seems to be the going rate at the moment on GameCafe.

Yagharek

I made a total of about 12 orders from them, and only 4 or 5 went through without any hassle. 5 week+ shipping times, duplicate orders, missing orders and pathetic customer service.

RandomVince said:
I made a total of about 12 orders from them, and only 4 or 5 went through without any hassle. 5 week+ shipping times, duplicate orders, missing orders and pathetic customer service.
How long ago was that? I've done about 10 orders, all have been fine. Taken 2-3 weeks, all arrived in my letterbox no problem. Also like I said, customer service was great. Plus I'm more willing to use them now since they changed to free worldwide postage.

Nemesis_

I think everyone who has Mortal Kombat here posts their gamertags.

To clarify: You must create a US account to enter your Kombat Code. Once the code is on your console, you can play online with your own Australian gamertag.

My gamertag is Nemesis556.

Anyone else who has the game and is in Australia should add me! I would like some friendly competition. I play random characters and for fun, not to win so I don't consider myself super cheap. =P

But yeah, post your gamertags (or PSN IDs) and I'll maybe collate them all together at some point. =P

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
How long ago was that? I've done about 10 orders, all have been fine. Taken 2-3 weeks, all arrived in my letterbox no problem. Also like I said, customer service was great. Plus I'm more willing to use them now since they changed to free worldwide postage.

Within the last six to eight months. Before the christmas rush too.

RandomVince said:
Within the last six to eight months. Before the christmas rush too.
Interesting. I've been using Zavvi for about the last 18 months and never had anything go missing, ever. Including when the volcanic ash cloud slowed everything coming out of Europe to a crawl.

Yagharek

codswallop said:
Interesting. I've been using Zavvi for about the last 18 months and never had anything go missing, ever. Including when the volcanic ash cloud slowed everything coming out of Europe to a crawl.

My orders were around that time (a bit before). I had orders from gameplay.co.uk sent after the zavvi ones, and they still beat zavvis orders by a good 3 weeks.

everything I've ordered from zavvi has shown up but it's been by far the slowest supplier i've used in the last year or so by far (and historically only Amazon.ca was slower). If you've the patience, then fine.

sendit.com have decent shipping times though their shipping costs can be a bit much. I occasionally by the odd game from them.
I used to use them a lot when they were Blackstar

CDwow were usually ok but they haven't competed on price for games in years. the aussie site doesn't sell DVD's anymore for some reason but the UK one does.

for DVD's and books I still go to amazon but for some reason they won't ship games

RandomVince said:
Ahh. I wasnt aware of the distinction.
I have no idea how it works. The whole Australia Amazon thing is too weird for me to understand so I don't really buy anything from Amazon after trying to grab some bargains once. The one time it would ship to Australia for me the postage was like, $30 so I didn't bother. Great range of stuff though and the site is organised brilliantly.

Darklord

Banned
Neverender said:
Yes it is invalid on my Aussie GT. My theory worked though, I made a US account and downloaded the online pass, now any tag on my console can play online. Can't take it to a friend's house and play though :/

Fuck! Really? So if you make a US account, use the code, and go back to your aussie account it's ok?

Edit: Oh, just read Nemesis' post. So that is right. How annoying.

Jintor

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming for an AusGAF breaking news art!

tumblr_lkgqvageah1qgs4kh

We now return you to your regularly scheduled importing-related bullshit.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does anyone else tend to feel that a lot of games seem to shit themselves once they get towards the end? Up until that point it's been a joy then all of a sudden it just throws really pointless dumbfounded things at you to stretch out the experience for another 2 hours.

I think that's why I have trouble finishing games. I always get close to the end and then something happens that makes me go, Fuck this, I'm close enough, We are done here.

Darksiders is the latest victim although I do believe I will actually finish it, I'm trying not to give up this time. It isn't a terrible end game but it sure is annoying for some reason.

RustyO

Whats the best way to go about buying MSPoints for use on an Australian XBox?

Obviously taking into account the current exchange rates and MS's joke of an approach to spacebucks.

Madrical

Banned
evlcookie said:
Does anyone else tend to feel that a lot of games seem to shit themselves once they get towards the end? Up until that point it's been a joy then all of a sudden it just throws really pointless dumbfounded things at you to stretch out the experience for another 2 hours.

I think that's why I have trouble finishing games. I always get close to the end and then something happens that makes me go, Fuck this, I'm close enough, We are done here.

Darksiders is the latest victim although I do believe I will actually finish it, I'm trying not to give up this time. It isn't a terrible end game but it sure is annoying for some reason.

Yeah, agreed. Dead Space is a perfect example, the last level of that game sucks.

Madrical said:
Yeah, agreed. Dead Space is a perfect example, the last level of that game sucks.
I would say that Dead Space ends with one of the most impressive bossfights in the history of videogames, so probably not the best example! :p

Aon

Dead Space 1 or 2?

I thought the end encounter of the first one was kind of garbage. I can't say I made it to the end of the second, I couldn't push myself through the corridor of endless enemies aboard the (late games spoilers)
Ishimura

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
evlcookie said:

I feel like all the best developers are long past this sort of thing, this feels like a very 90s-mid/late 2000s problem. My problem with many high profile games in 2011 is the second act. They know how to hook you, and they finally have the good sense to attempt leave you walking away with a good taste I'm your mouth, but the middle bit? That shit's tough.

Rez said:
My problem with many high profile games in 2011 is the second act. They know how to hook you, and they finally have the good sense to attempt leave you walking away with a good taste I'm your mouth, but the middle bit? That shit's tough.
Rockstar suck so much at the second act it hurts. All their games start and end brilliantly but there is always a mediocre, boring period of complacency in the middle. Just feels like the B-team was asked to keep the story going for 5 hours while the A-team focus on the mechanics and setpieces.

RustyO said:
GameLane have cheaper Gold sub cards. Also if you bought Mortal Kombat from a different region I would say you would need to use a pre-paid card from that region to use DLC going by the region locked online code. This 3000 point card is $48.95. You save like 50 cents over buying them through the marketplace. The cards are region locked so hopefully someone else will have an idea where they are cheaper but I've asked in the past and gotten no reply. Damn americans get plenty of cheap point cards.

evlcookie said:
Games have been doing this for years, harks back to the whole feeding coins in to a machine thing. By making the final section as hard as possible they hope you keep failing and have to keep putting coins in so you can see the finish screen. These days games like to use game length as a bulletpoint so they will use some content even if it would be more enjoyable to draw back the challenge and make it reasonable.

RustyO

reptilescorpio said:
RustyO said:

This 3000 point card is $48.95. You save like 50 cents over buying them through the marketplace. The cards are region locked so hopefully someone else will have an idea where they are cheaper but I've asked in the past and gotten no reply. Damn americans get plenty of cheap point cards.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I just dislike spacebucks and the whole 100MSP = US$1.25, 100MSP = AU$1.65 annoys the hell out of me.

I'd buy a lot more games off XBLA if the pricing was more reasonable / we had parity. Games like Torchlight (1,200), Outland (800), Hard Corp Uprising (1,200) and Might & Magic Clash of Heroes (1,200) are sitting there waiting to be purchased / on my want list.

Thats 4,400MSP / US$55 / AU$72.60 of games. (US$55 = AU$50.14 or AU$72.60 = US$79.63)

But I'll probably wait until they either come out on PSN, Steam, or not bother at all (silly principles) or just buy different games instead, as $72 = 3 full retail XBOX/PS3 games to me.

And I guess bugger all chance of MS adjusting the pricing, or a boycott going on.

Unless I totally misunderstand the whole thing?

On Rockstar games: I hope the next GTA game takes a page out of Yakuza 4's playbook and has multiple characters that you play as. As mentioned in this thread already, a 30hr single player campaign with Nico is a real drag. I think the GTAIV DLC was about the perfect length to tell the story of a single character.

Basically, make it an interactive version of The Wire where you play the game from the perspective of a cop, a drug dealer and Omar Little. That's all I ask.

edotherocket said:
On Rockstar games: I hope the next GTA game takes a page out of Yakuza 4's playbook and has multiple characters that you play as. As mentioned in this thread already, a 30hr single player campaign with Nico is a real drag. I think the GTAIV DLC was about the perfect length to tell the story of a single character. Basically, make it an interactive version of The Wire where you play the game from the perspective of a cop, a drug dealer and Omar Little. That's all I ask.
The episodes DLC was great, they made a brilliant city so it would have been a shame to only have Niko to play with. I have said this before, make the whole thing episodic, like The Wire as you said, that way the story is 3 hours each but they all intertwine at the end. Pulp Fiction shit in Liberty City. Story would be awesome and instead of 10 hours of greatness padded by 10 hours of crap like they have been doing it can just be 3 hours blocks with each person, coming together at the end for a 10 hour mission or something. Less Godfather more Lord of the Rings. Make that thing epic.

RustyO said:
Thats 4,400MSP / US$55 / AU$72.60 of games. (US$55 = AU$50.14 or AU$72.60 = US$79.63) But I'll probably wait until they either come out on PSN, Steam, or not bother at all (silly principles) or just buy different games instead, as $72 = 3 full retail XBOX/PS3 games to me. And I guess bugger all chance of MS adjusting the pricing, or a boycott going on. Unless I totally misunderstand the whole thing?
No you are correct. It is hard now to look at buying games on XBLA since the same game is now much cheaper on Steam because of the exchange rate. A 1200 point game is now more expensive because of the flip in interest rates, which is one of the reasons Microsoft went with the points system (along with other more important ones). Even PSN stuff in Australia is priced higher than expected. Thankfully most Steam stuff isn't adjusted for Aussies so we can still buy stuff like Hot Pursuit for $20 or even Portal 2 for $45 even though COD was adjusted up. It means I wait for a sale on XBLA stuff now instead of buying day one. If we had access to discounted points cards like I read about with the USA than I would probably buy a lot more games.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Darksiders finished. Glad I pushed through it, Loved the ending, Was like a fuck yea I look forward to the sequel moment.

Darksiders 2 now on my radar and I could see it being a day 1 purchase on PC. As long as they port it across as well :D

Top Bottom