• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Yo choc,

Do you ever get any work done?

haha yes

:)

i just leave gaf open all day and refresh every so often.

also being on a gaming forum is not necessarily not part of my job.

Fredescu

jambo said:
My main sources of news these days are

- NeoGAF
- AusGAF
- Twitter
- Facebook
- The Daily Show
- The Australian
My #1 news source:

aela6.jpg

Omikron

jambo said:
it's better than The Advertiser, and I normally skip the political parts, just read up on national news and sports.

The Age
Guardian
Crikey
BBC
ABC

Wahay. Waiting for leftists labels now. :p

Jintor

jambo said:
My main sources of news these days are

- NeoGAF
- AusGAF
- Twitter
- Facebook
- The Daily Show
- The Australian

Well those are more like news distributors, since presumably you use them to aggregate important info but you head to those news organisations for the actual stories.

jambo

Omi said:
Wahay. Waiting for leftists labels now. :p

Hippie! :lol

Sorry for not reading the right newspaper Omi.

Jintor said:
Well those are more like news distributors, since presumably you use them to aggregate important info but you head to those news organisations for the actual stories.

A lot of the time people quote the entire story so there's no need to.

Shaneus

So, today's the day I received some supplements from the US and my copy of Wipeout 3 SE from the UK. I'd better fucking have a copy of Mortal Kombat waiting for me from the UK
LLShC.gif

Omikron

Fredescu said:
I do, I was just poking fun. I bet you even listen to their football podcast. "Crouchies 'avin his nachos"

Best football podcast going around by some distance. Good summarisation of all the major leagues, even if the guys on there can be a little... biased at times. :D

Gazunta

I don't see Presidog in that thread *sulks*

Damn, this has completely blown my afternoon. Back to work or take the rest of the day off? YOU DECIDE AusGAF

Dead Man

Gazunta said:
I don't see Presidog in that thread *sulks*

Damn, this has completely blown my afternoon. Back to work or take the rest of the day off? YOU DECIDE AusGAF
I think if anyone posted that in there they would get lynched. And I am not sure that it would be a figure of speech.

Choc

Banned
Obama is an amazing man

he announced the news during the time the apprentice is supposed to be on air

fucking gold lol

Danoss

Omi said:
I just can't stand The Australian. :p
I'm seeing a lot of dislike for them here. I don't really read it to be honest, but I will mention something.

I was on the jury for the Sydney terrorism trial, which was no doubt well known. After it was over and the articles hit the papers, The Australian was the only one whose facts were correct throughout the articles. The other newspapers and commercial TV news presentations had numerous, glaring errors.

This may be down to the journalist/s who wrote said articles for The Australian and only applicable to that point in time, but I thought it was worth noting.

Choc

Banned
Danoss said:
I'm seeing a lot of dislike for them here. I don't really read it to be honest, but I will mention something.

I was on the jury for the Sydney terrorism trial, which was no doubt well known. After it was over and the articles hit the papers, The Australian was the only one whose facts were correct throughout the articles. The other newspapers and commercial TV news presentations had numerous, glaring errors.

This may be down to the journalist/s who wrote said articles for The Australian and only applicable to that point in time, but I thought it was worth noting.

The Australian is against the NBN and has a massive agenda against it and regularly runs articles to discredit the system.

Hence, IT people don't like the Australian.

The shit they make up about the NBN is beyond ridiculous

Dead Man

Danoss said:

Their journalism is fine to me, but their opinion pieces are trash and pander to the worst aspects of humanity.

Omikron

Dead Man said:
Their journalism is fine to me, but their opinion pieces are trash and pander to the worst aspects of humanity.

And then they attempt to wrap up their agenda driven opinion as news that really gets me.

Danoss

Fair enough, as I said, I don't really read them. That was one of the few occasions when I had. I thought, since I spent the better part of a year in the courtroom that it would be interesting to see the newspapers/tv news take. It is a rare occasion when I know all the facts on something and can cast a critical eye, fairly.

Choc said:
Obama is an amazing man he announced the news during the time the apprentice is supposed to be on air fucking gold lol
Nice to know he is finally gone but still, ten years. Pretty sure he hasn't even been running the terrorists since he went underground. Killing Osama (lol Obama, oh you Fox news!) won't suddenly mean al Qaeda will see the error of their ways and embrace their American neighbours in song and dance. Shit is still going to be happening. Even killing 80% of them won't stop the attacks. Things need to change at a cultural and societal level if we want to avoid the next Osama popping up in the next few years.

Choc said:
The Australian is against the NBN and has a massive agenda against it and regularly runs articles to discredit the system. Hence, IT people don't like the Australian.
The shit they make up about the NBN is beyond ridiculous
The guys at work listen to Gold FM and the radio ads against plain packaging cigarettes are fucking incredible. I wouldn't be surprised if they said that every time cigarettes are put into a plain package a fairy dies or some shit. Money talks, money controls all.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
The guys at work listen to Gold FM and the radio ads against plain packaging cigarettes are fucking incredible. I wouldn't be surprised if they said that every time cigarettes are put into a plain package a fairy dies or some shit. Money talks, money controls all.
Shit, I love those ads! Counterfeit cigs, kids smoking younger, putting local traders out of business... all gold, Jerry.

Choc

Banned
Whilst I am not against plain packaging of ciggies I do think Nicola Roxon is barking up the wrong tree if she honestly thinks its how the packets look as to why kids smoke

its the action of smoking and being a rebel.... who gives a shit what it looks like.

jambo

I'll see if we get The Age and The Guardian in Adelaide. Might pick them up, as long as they're the full editions.

Shaneus said:
Yeah yeah, and they're all in your thread. We get it.

I didn't mean that, I just thought it was interesting

=[

Choc said:
Whilst I am not against plain packaging of ciggies I do think Nicola Roxon is barking up the wrong tree if she honestly thinks its how the packets look as to why kids smoke
its the action of smoking and being a rebel.... who gives a shit what it looks like.
Eh, I just don't understand why it is a bad thing? Makes them look less desirable, I know people who based their choice on what the packet looks like. Wouldn't plain packaging be cheaper to manufacture as well? Just irritates me that people are fine with companies spreading lies so readily. No wonder so many people are so damn ignorant and uneducated. Plain packaging won't kill your son and the pokie regulations won't slit your grandmas throat so why do we allow people to say they will?

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
Eh, I just don't understand why it is a bad thing?
It's a bad thing for their interests because implementing further regulation costs them money, and it also renders the billions of dollars they've spent on brand recognition worthless. No one should give a shit about their interests of course, but you asked.

Danoss

I think the people who smoke Holiday and Horizons will be glad for plain packets to come in. Then no one will know that they're smoking the cheapest and nastiest cigarettes available.

I'm quite glad I quit smoking in '09 and was shocked to hear the price of cigarettes now from a friend of mine who still smokes. I used to smoke rollies and could get by spending around $10-12 a week on them. Now that people are spending well over that per day without blinking is really terrible.

jambo

People really base their purchasing decision on the packet design? I have a few mates who smoke and all of them buy certain brands because of the flavour or $ value.

Choc

Banned
Danoss said:
I think the people who smoke Holiday and Horizons will be glad for plain packets to come in. Then no one will know that they're smoking the cheapest and nastiest cigarettes available.

I'm quite glad I quit smoking in '09 and was shocked to hear the price of cigarettes now from a friend of mine who still smokes. I used to smoke rollies and could get by spending around $10-12 a week on them. Now that people are spending well over that per day without blinking is really terrible.

as a non smoker i had not considered this. Thats a really bloody good point

It's somewhat a social status i guess if you get the premium stuff

wow, i think i just got shutdown!

Dead Man

jambo said:
I'll see if we get The Age and The Guardian in Adelaide. Might pick them up, as long as they're the full editions.

I didn't mean that, I just thought it was interesting

=[
We get the Age, but it is very Melbourne centric, so be aware of that. As for the Guardian, I find their website is best, rather than paying a premium for an imported newspaper.

jambo

Dead Man said:
We get the Age, but it is very Melbourne centric, so be aware of that.

That's why I would get The Australian, it has a good spread of national articles.

Now that I have Foxtel I don't really need much football coverage, I just watch the analysis shows and match replays.

jambo said:
People really base their purchasing decision on the packet design? I have a few mates who smoke and all of them buy certain brands because of the flavour or $ value.
A lot of people would argue that the taste/value is linked to the packet design as well. Addiction does weird shit to your brain.

Also when I posted that abc link on my facebook I was happy to hear some stories of people would are also disgusted at the pokie situation and someone shared their story about working at a club in Corio that had pokies.

On topic if anyone is trying to quit smoking here is a low cost solution! Only $8! Also Trackmania on Wii is only $14 at the moment. Big W is doing their "cheap" game a day thing again too.

Clipper

I don't really understand many of the arguments against the plain packaging. If nobody is basing their decisions on how the package looks, then why does it matter if they all look the same? Also, if, as the tobacco companies used to claim in their ads, that the plain packaging won't lower sales, then why are they paying so much to tell you that? If it doesn't affect sales, they shouldn't care.

Gazunta

Choc I got a couple of hundred extra visits to the site, which was a nice way to start the month. I think 75% of any extra traffic I got was hotlinking directly to the comic, which is OK too. Doesn't earn anything, but it has the URL in it.

It gave me an opportunity to tinker with the site and add Facebook functionality to every post for easier sharing, which seems to work OK.

(Goes back to drawing)

Top Bottom