• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
A lot of people would argue that the taste/value is linked to the packet design as well. Addiction does weird shit to your brain.

Also when I posted that abc link on my facebook I was happy to hear some stories of people would are also disgusted at the pokie situation and someone shared their story about working at a club in Corio that had pokies.
Any chance you could copypasta that story? Not concerned with who wrote it but I am curious as to what it was about (and where it was).

Shaneus said:
Any chance you could copypasta that story? Not concerned with who wrote it but I am curious as to what it was about (and where it was).
Short version to omit details and names
Getting my RSG opened my eyes to this (as well as my mother working in the industry). The dude running it worked at crown for X amount of years, told us win/loss percentages, how pokie machines work etc. My work opens 9am. My mother starts work at 7. By 8 there's a line of people waiting to get in, even on Christmas day etc. Walking through the gaming room at 1pm, knowing some of those people have been there since 9, makes me a sad puppy.
She is my best mates girlfriend and has told me stories about the old grannies who tell the same anecdote every day to her when they come in. And how they have never walked out smiling.

Shaneus

Shit, that's scary. Just how exactly do people get like that? At least with videogames I have a fair idea of what level of enjoyment I'll get out of them. With pokies you're almost always guaranteed to walk out with less than you came in.

SMH.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
Shit, that's scary. Just how exactly do people get like that? At least with videogames I have a fair idea of what level of enjoyment I'll get out of them. With pokies you're almost always guaranteed to walk out with less than you came in.

SMH.
They get that way because a billion dollar industry researched how to get people that way. If you walked up to someone and offered them 83c in exchange for a dollar, they would laugh at you. But if you offer them a chance to win 100 for $1 they will think about it. Peoples intuition, in general, sucks at probability and statistics. It seems a glaring omission in our evolution that we have not developed a better intuition about these things, but maybe that would stop us taking enough risks. Any way, badly structured rant over.

Shaneus said:

SMH.
You read the article didn't you? There are a lot of studies out there on gambling addiction. Even the Fev interview the other night may have talked about it. Most of my sporting mates do a lot of gambling. First it was Poker which included all night sessions at Crown. Then it was horse racing with lots of trips to Melbourne. Then it was Pokies with lots of in and out sessions at the pub. They find it a fun way to spend their money. You only ever hear when they have a decent win. I make a point of asking how they did the last 7 days just to rub in how much they have spent. Problem is that gambling is accepted strongly in the community. A few years back every pub had free poker nights, I had a friend who if he went out early at one pub knew to drive down to Torquay as they started later. The instant gratification of flashing lights or the thrill of pulling off a hand keeps you going while you are running cold. To be honest it is a little bit like the old Street Fighter arcade machines. You end up losing but you made it one more opponent than last time so you want to have another go to see how far you can end up. At least video games have evolved to have a story and to let you experience something you couldn't usually do in life, pokies still just light up and ask for more money. Even on the TV when you watch the footy you are bombarded by ads and constant figures during the game of what you can bet on. It is incredibly easy to set up a phone or internet banking account and you can chew through thousands of dollars really quickly. You will never come out a winner. You might do okay in the short term but you need to stop right there. If you do another bet in the future you are likely to lose. It is a billion dollar industry for a reason.

Gazunta

Hypothetical.

What would be your reaction to the government introducing time and money limits to your video gaming or Internet access?

For your own good of course.

Gazunta said:
Hypothetical.

What would be your reaction to the government introducing time and money limits to your video gaming or Internet access?

Anger. Why not introduce similar limits for books or film?

Edit: so after catching up on what this is in reference to I'd say that gambling addiction (specifically pokies) is such a widespread problem that it should have some kind of limit placed upon it. If you were to look at the claims of internet addiction/gaming addiction and compare them to the number of gambling addictions you would see very different percentages. Dead Man brought up a good point that man does have a very sketchy view of statistics/probability in general, why else would we have the gambler's fallacy, and it could be partially to blame for widespread gambling addiction.

Dead Man

Gazunta said:
Hypothetical.

Unless there were some very convincing arguments, I would Chocrage. Hard. Why?

Salazar

Gazunta said:
Hypothetical.

Scorn and defiance, slight regard, contempt. I don't think the analogy has any purchase on the gambling argument, though.

In truth, I limit my own video gaming time, because I have the patience of an infant.

jambo

Gazunta said:
Hypothetical.

Govt can get stuffed.

Gazunta said:
Hypothetical.

Depends on how many studies say that 2 videogames a day will increase your chance of cancer.

Also didn't they already do that with WOW?

legend166

My sister is trying to buy a Wii game for a little 6 year old that she nannies.

She kept going through crappy shovelware games asking me if they are good. I'm now looking through Zavvi to find something for less than $20.

Reckon a 6 year old could deal with de Blob 2?

legend166 said:
My sister is trying to buy a Wii game for a little 6 year old that she nannies.

She kept going through crappy shovelware games asking me if they are good. I'm now looking through Zavvi to find something for less than $20.

Reckon a 6 year old could deal with de Blob 2?
Do it. That or Sonic Racing. Nah go with Okami. Madworld is $8 on OzGameShop. ;)

Serious though maybe one of the Rayman Rabbids? Or Just Dance? Or a Lego game.

legend166

reptilescorpio said:
Do it. That or Sonic Racing. Nah go with Okami. Madworld is $8 on OzGameShop. ;)

Serious though maybe one of the Rayman Rabbids? Or Just Dance? Or a Lego game.

It's a boy, so Just Dance is probably out. I was thinking Lego Batman. That way I could get him a decent video game AND introduce him to Batman. Kids still like Batman, right?

legend166 said:
It's a boy, so Just Dance is probably out. I was thinking Lego Batman. That way I could get him a decent video game AND introduce him to Batman. Kids still like Batman, right?
EVERY kid should like Batman. It is a rule. Seems Harry Potter game is cheap too.

Shaneus said:
I am stalking you Mr Shaneus from the classic Simpsons thread
fb04y7k1p.jpg

Yagharek

legend166 said:

Any of the Lego games would be awesome from what Ive seen.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I should make music. Just include the words club, party, and mention some extreme alcohol consumption and/or copious amounts of sex. Add shitty techno beat and auto tune. I'm rich!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
VOOK said:
I should make music. Just include the words club, party, and mention some extreme alcohol consumption and/or copious amounts of sex. Add shitty techno beat and auto tune. I'm rich!
yep. it's that easy. you do that and get back to me when you're rich.

Gazunta

I should do a Webcomic. Just add some lol faces, something about video games and some stick figures. I'm rich!

:/

Feel your pain Vook. It's why I pretty much just listen to Absolute Radio 90s :/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i think any bitter person sitting in front of a computer screen can talking about how easy it is to influence people and make money

I'll always respect someone who creates something over the one who creates nothing and has the cheek to trivialise the process

Bernbaum

Went to trivia night at the Mana Bar and we won because we used teamwork and I was the one who come up with the teamwork idea.

Shaneus

You were right, rs... I remember now!

That was a while ago, though. Things have changed. People have changed. The world... has changed.

(I'm too tired to change avatars now :( )

Bernbaum said:
Went to trivia night at the Mana Bar and we won because we used teamwork and I was the one who come up with the teamwork idea.
Bern-baum! Bern-baum! Bern-baum!

Shaneus said:
That was a while ago, though. Things have changed. People have changed. The world... has changed.
All good, you are not Shaneus anymore anyway. You are inanimate carbon rod, saviour of the human race from enslavement by the giant space ants.

Gazunta

Bernbaum said:
I've always been curious about the Mana Bar trivia nights. Are the trivia questions mostly about Commodore 64 and Amiga games, or about UK video game magazines from 1985 - 1996? Because they're pretty much all I know.

PS: Yug if you're reading this plz reply to my email :)

Bernbaum

Gazunta said:
I've always been curious about the Mana Bar trivia nights. Are the trivia questions mostly about Commodore 64 and Amiga games, or about UK video game magazines from 1985 - 1996? Because they're pretty much all I know.

PS: Yug if you're reading this plz reply to my email :)
It's on all sorts of stuff - there are even a few geography and history questions thrown in there for good measure. If you've spent time on GAF/Wikipedia reading about games you'll never play, then you'll do okay. The night is more about just having a laugh anyway, the prizes are ancillary.

We were behind on points but Yahtzee gave out bonus points for the best obituary written in haiku, so I wrote this one about Will and Kate and we won the day!

Gifts not listed on
Royal Wedding registry:
Passenger airbags.

Accompanied by a handrawn image of a gruesome car crash. Yay comedy!

Bernbaum

It’s worth mentioning that the day of September 11 I was in my first year of University and was paying through the nose for minutes of internet access at the Uni Library and spent the day reading (not watching) the news as it came in across an internet that didn’t know facebook, twitter or youtube.

I was out today and nowhere near a computer. I saw the news on twitter on my iPhone within minutes of the rumour breaking through; checked The Australian (which had a one-sentence placeholder article under a page that was still adorned by Royal Weddings Headlines; NeoGAF (when there were three threads active - all on their first pages); loaded up ABC iView on my iPad and watched the news in real time, all whilst I was playing board games with a bunch of mates.

10 fucking years. If you showed me a fully functional internet capable iPad 10 years ago, I would probably explode.

Bernbaum

Oh, and on 9/11, my racist liberal party voting private boarding school-reared jock room mate came bolting through my room and woke me up with the phrase "The towel heads have blown up the world trade centre". It was with that sentence that I learnt the news.

Fuck you, Brenden, you racist piece of shit. You thought you were fucking top shit with your fancy private school upbringing, toga parties with the Rugby boys and all the trappings of a 'Good Ole Boys' campus jock fuckhead culture whilst you were studying for an accounting degree. You didn't like accounting, but your tightass conservative father wanted you to do it just so you could be an overpaid moron just like him.

Ten years later and I make more money than you, you cunt.

Bernbaum said:
You didn't like accounting, but your tightass conservative father wanted you to do it just so you could be an overpaid moron just like him.

Thanks dude. Made me feel real good about myself. :(

Jintor

Bernbaum said:
Oh, and on 9/11, my racist liberal party voting private boarding school-reared jock room mate came bolting through my room and woke me up with the phrase "The towel heads have blown up the world trade centre". It was with that sentence that I learnt the news.

Fuck you, Brenden, you racist piece of shit. You thought you were fucking top shit with your fancy private school upbringing, toga parties with the Rugby boys and all the trappings of a 'Good Ole Boys' campus jock fuckhead culture whilst you were studying for an accounting degree. You didn't like accounting, but your tightass conservative father wanted you to do it just so you could be an overpaid moron just like him.

You're a good person

I remember watching the televisions at before-school care, smoke billowing from the skies, the panic and terror still barely audible at the edges of the news anchor's constant river of information. I had a smart class, but that day, it was pretty damn silent.

Fredescu

I found out about 9/11 on an Everquest forum and I found out about Bin Laden on the NeoGAF. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I was up playing Diablo 2 and my brother came in saying something like America just got bombed. He was talking about the first plain hit where no one really knew what was going on, we were watching live when the second plane came in.

Clipper

I found out the next morning, probably when expecting to watch Cheez TV too. It seems I had turned off the TV and gone to bed less than 5 minutes before the first crash was reported on the night. It was certainly a weird day at Uni that day (my final year of undergrad). Everyone was just in shocked disbelief.

Top Bottom