• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Danoss

I recall hearing the 9/11 news the morning after. Had an early night as I had an early start at work.

Andrew Denton was on the radio talking about a plane hitting towers. I was bleary-eyed thinking, "he's not very funny this morning". Then, as I realised he was serious and felt the gravity of the situation and turned on the TV to the well known imagery of it.

Nemesis_

Bernbaum said:
Oh, and on 9/11, my racist liberal party voting private boarding school-reared jock room mate came bolting through my room and woke me up with the phrase "The towel heads have blown up the world trade centre". It was with that sentence that I learnt the news.

Fuck you, Brenden, you racist piece of shit. You thought you were fucking top shit with your fancy private school upbringing, toga parties with the Rugby boys and all the trappings of a 'Good Ole Boys' campus jock fuckhead culture whilst you were studying for an accounting degree. You didn't like accounting, but your tightass conservative father wanted you to do it just so you could be an overpaid moron just like him.

Ten years later and I make more money than you, you cunt.

These monologues are never funny. This one just went on for too long.

Stop hating the world.

Fredescu

I'll always respect someone who posts something over the one who creates nothing and has the cheek to trivialise the process

Ydahs

We all talking about 9/11 stories? Well here's mine! I remember waking up for school and seeing my dad home (normally leaves before I wake up). I saw the TV, didn't understand much at that time since I only saw people running away. My day didn't let me go to school because he feared that it might not be safe (Islamic primary school). Turned out there was some abuse by passers-by, mainly swearing at the kids. Think a stone was thrown at a student too in another Islamic school.

I find it odd discussing this when around non-Muslims who know I'm Muslim. It's always like I'm being judged on how I react to the news. Then again, it's hard discussing it with some Muslims too, because they entry conspiracy mode (like today). Will be interesting to here the discussions tomorrow at Uni.

Dead Man

Ydahs said:
We all talking about 9/11 stories? Well here's mine! I remember waking up for school and seeing my dad home (normally leaves before I wake up). I saw the TV, didn't understand much at that time since I only saw people running away. My day didn't let me go to school because he feared that it might not be safe (Islamic primary school). Turned out there was some abuse by passers-by, mainly swearing at the kids. Think a stone was thrown at a student too in another Islamic school.

I find it odd discussing this when around non-Muslims who know I'm Muslim. It's always like I'm being judged on how I react to the news. Then again, it's hard discussing it with some Muslims too, because they entry conspiracy mode (like today). Will be interesting to here the discussions tomorrow at Uni.
Shit like that makes me angry, fucking retards not being able to direct their anger appropriately.

Anyway, since we are swapping them,, I was home, drunk with mates. They were having a laugh before someone remembered I had family in the country. They were all safe thousands of miles away on the west coast, but I got right on the phone, after swearing at the so called friends!

It's that time again! Where I clear out the most precious gaming treasures that I haven't touched in ages and clear out space in my shelves and drawers. This time, it's pretty much all Nintendo, all the time.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/vicious_killer_squirrel/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

Systems:

Gameboy Advance SP2+ (AGS-101 backlit model)

Playstation 2 + accessories

DS:

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (cartridge only)

Radiant Historia w/ Music CD

Tingle's Balloon Fight

GBA:

Final Fantasy VI Advance

NES Classics: Legend of Zelda (cartridge only)

NES Classics: Zelda II The Adventure of Link

Gameboy Color:

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (No box)

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (cartridge only)

Wii:

Kirby's Epic Yarn (JP version)

Super Mario Galaxy (US version)

Gamecube:

Super Mario Sunshine

--------------------------

So what does a month of free PSN Plus mean, exactly? Discounted games?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I remember playing serious sam online with a mate and thinking this was the best movie ever on tv, This shit looked so real and crazy. It was around 10pm or so wasn't it? Maybe closer to midnight so i figured it was some crazy late night movie.

Then i noticed it was on every channel.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fredescu said:
I'll always respect someone who posts something over the one who creates nothing and has the cheek to trivialise the process
what are you doing, man

that's Bernambaumauyamdmbernabaum

Bernbaum

Nemesis556 said:
These monologues are never funny. This one just went on for too long.

Stop hating the world.
We're having the 'I remember where I was for 9/11' talk.

As part of that discussion, I chose to highlight the attitude and language of an individual that was representative of a small but unpleasant element that arose following the attacks. Posting an adjective-laden diatribe against a single person who will never read it in a forum populated by a healthy makeup of different values is part of the catharsis, now that such xenophobic behavior has diminished.

I am dead serious and can 100% guarantee not a single laugh was sought.

Omikron

The whole Osama death celebrations kinda weird me out a bit....don't get me wrong though, he is / was one of the biggest cunts on Earth, but I don't particularly like the whole sink to his level and take the easy path to make us feel 'safer' (ie. murder). I mean, is the US of A supposed to be the 'civilised' part of the world or not?

Feel free to disagree and continue with the rah rah stuff or whatever I suppose.

(I should probably post this in the Osama OT thread.)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, he declared war. If any other soldier shoots at others, they're considered fair game.

Half of these "where was I when 9/11 happened" stories make me feel old. I was working the afternoon shift at a shitty job when the first reports came through on the office TV. We were all dumbfounded at how someone could accidentally fly a plane into a building... until the reports came through that it was intentional. And then a second one hit! And then the buildings fell down!

I picked up the girlfriend (now the wife) who was also working afternoon shift (I didn't really care for the afternoon shift but she couldn't get out of it, and I preferred seeing her more than working early and never seeing her), drove home and we proceeded to watch the coverage until like 4am.

I've since befriended some New Yorkers who were there when the whole thing happened (thankfully far enough away, but still on Manhattan) and listening to them talk about it is surreal.

Maybe a bit too much rah rah going on, but for them it is really a big relief, one of them said "we've cut off the head" to me yesterday, so they've projected a lot of their anger and angst against Bin Laden in the last decade. Probably won't change much, but I'm hoping the US will start to withdraw from the region a little faster.

It's also really interesting how the US paraded Hussein around when he was captured, but with Bin Laden they just wanted him obliterated... and dumped in the sea for good measure.

Rez said:
I mean, he declared war. If any other soldier shoots at others, they're considered fair game.
I get that, but I see where Omi is coming from. Celebrating someone's death, regardless of the type of person and what they've done doesn't sit right with me.

I people was to celebrate the blow that's been dealt to terrorist cells that's fine, or that it may mean more troops can come home or that a decade long chapter of crappiness has ended. But celebrating someone's death. Dunno.

However, I say this from a position where no one I personally know were harmed by 9/11, was sent to war or has been injured.

legend166

Hey people:

ilgAC0.gif

Gazunta

I spent the night of the WTC on IRC with a bunch of people from around the world telling each other what we're hearing on various news stations. Between us we managed to get a clear picture of what was going down, crazy times. Some random memories from the night:

- Friend of mine calling me from his desk at CNN to find out what we knew.

- Friend of mine on IRC worrying about his brother who was in Tower One. Thankfully he got out but it was a pretty harrowing time for him.

- Friend of mine being told by her boss that she still had to go into work that morning (she lived and worked in NYC at the time) and us telling her not to. She works at a much finer place now.

- Friend of mine who lived near the white house telling us about the military planes that were circling around the white house, that would have been weird as hell.

So we didn't have Twitter but we made do. I hope I still have the chatlog somewhere on a long forgotten hard drive.

BTW Bern, top story. I love knowing that I've outperformed pretty much everyone* who came from my shitty, backwards, bogan, xenophobic, boilermaking hellhole of a suburb.

* Except for the blond guy from Savage Garden, he did pretty well for himself

Choc

Banned
WOW

Sony Online Entertainment has just been hit with an attack as well

this time 12,000 or so credit cards HAVE gone

anyone with eq, station, fuck what else do they run? star wars etc need to get a new card

Clipper

Choc said:
WOW

anyone with eq, station, fuck what else do they run? star wars etc need to get a new card
It was the same attack, apparently. They only just figured out that this stuff was taken too.

Choc said:

The first one just sounded like hackers hacking to hack. The timing of this though, since it happened just as PSN comes back, seems like the whole thing is a lot more political that it might have seemed. If it's the same group surely they couldn't have timed things better to hurt Sony.

Clipper said:
It was the same attack, apparently. They only just figured out that this stuff was taken too.
I'm not sure if that's better or worse than what I mentioned above...

Gazunta said:
I spent the night of the WTC on IRC with a bunch of people from around the world telling each other what we're hearing on various news stations. Between us we managed to get a clear picture of what was going down, crazy times. Some random memories from the night:

- Friend of mine calling me from his desk at CNN to find out what we knew.

- Friend of mine on IRC worrying about his brother who was in Tower One. Thankfully he got out but it was a pretty harrowing time for him.

- Friend of mine being told by her boss that she still had to go into work that morning (she lived and worked in NYC at the time) and us telling her not to. She works at a much finer place now.

- Friend of mine who lived near the white house telling us about the military planes that were circling around the white house, that would have been weird as hell.

So we didn't have Twitter but we made do. I hope I still have the chatlog somewhere on a long forgotten hard drive.

BTW Bern, top story. I love knowing that I've outperformed pretty much everyone* who came from my shitty, backwards, bogan, xenophobic, boilermaking hellhole of a suburb.

* Except for the blond guy from Savage Garden, he did pretty well for himself
The day of the WTC/Pentagon attacks, I was 16 and doing a week of work experience at Telstra, of all places. I woke up, got my breakfast and turned on the TV. They had a newsfeed from the US playing and what I was hearing was so outlandish that for a second, I was like “It’s a bit of an odd time to be playing a movie…” Then Tracy Spicer’s head popped up and I was like holy shit. The rest of the week was me learning about Islam for the first time and reading the newspapers (since the guys at Telstra had nothing useful for me to do).

Choc

Banned
I will never forget what i was doing when i found out about 9/11

i found out about it just as the second plane hit. I was installing a soundcard into my pc

all night i had the tele on in bed watching it

it was surreal, seeing that second plane hit is so hard to believe.

Do you guys remember initially they reported it as a plane crash as only one hit then when the second one in the tone went much more terrorism.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not to make you guys feels old, but I was ten years old, about to head into primary school for another day of Grade Four. I remember walking into the lounge room and seeing my mum watching it, she'd been watching it as it happened. Switching the tv channels and seeing them all showing literally the same thing really creeped me out.

A lot can happen it ten years.

Shaneus

codswallop said:
The first one just sounded like hackers hacking to hack. The timing of this though, since it happened just as PSN comes back, seems like the whole thing is a lot more political that it might have seemed. If it's the same group surely they couldn't have timed things better to hurt Sony.
PSN is back up?

Mar

Bernbaum said:
Oh, and on 9/11, my racist liberal party voting private boarding school-reared jock room mate came bolting through my room and woke me up with the phrase "The towel heads have blown up the world trade centre". It was with that sentence that I learnt the news.

Fuck you, Brenden, you racist piece of shit. You thought you were fucking top shit with your fancy private school upbringing, toga parties with the Rugby boys and all the trappings of a 'Good Ole Boys' campus jock fuckhead culture whilst you were studying for an accounting degree. You didn't like accounting, but your tightass conservative father wanted you to do it just so you could be an overpaid moron just like him.

Ten years later and I make more money than you, you cunt.

I assume this person did more to be labeled a racist than saying the phrase "towel head", because when someone declares war or kills some of your own (let's just let it slide for now that it was in the USA and not here, which is another story and something I find funny about Australians), it's easy to say inflammatory things.

Just look at choc every day.

Choc

Banned
Mar said:
I assume this person did more to be labeled a racist than saying the phrase "towel head", because when someone declares war or kills some of your own (let's just let it slide for now that it was in the USA and not here, which is another story and something I find funny about Australians), it's easy to say inflammatory things.

Just look at choc every day.

;_;

ive been alright recently

Kritz

Banned
I don't look for excuses.

I just pick one out of my gigantic stockpile at random. They're like fortune cookies, really.

Fortune cookies that all say "comics are hard".

jambo

Dead Man said:
I don't think he is far wrong saying the eurotrance crap is a triumph of marketing over music.

Since when did eurotrance have lyrics about getting drunk in clubs and feature techno beats and auto tuning? =\

This information, which was discovered by engineers and security consultants reviewing SOE systems, showed that personal information from approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts may have been stolen, as well as certain information from an outdated database from 2007. The information from the outdated database that may have been stolen includes approximately 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes), and about 10,700 direct debit records of certain customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain.

So, SOE had expired credit cards from outside the US stolen, and direct debit from some European countries stolen.

Why would they have an "outdated" database from four years ago still online? Seems a bit fishy to me.

Danoss

Fredescu said:
So The Witcher 2 was modified for Australian release. Fun.
Really? Jerks.

I would like to have purchased The Witcher 2 through Steam and have a free download, but it looks like GOG is the answer. I hope you choke to death in your sleep OFLC.

Also, great work Sony, I love that you have clearly stored peoples CC numbers unencrypted, perhaps including mine. Not everywhere requires the CVV number to purchase goods, so the fact hackers didn't get it means nothing. Hopefully other companies take this opportunity to fix their shit, this is unacceptable.

Clipper

It's not a good idea to be advocating one of those options you just gave on GAF, Omi.

Danoss said:
I hope you choke to death in your sleep OFLC.
The OFLC name choked long ago. It's the Classification Board now. Also, they have no fault in this. It seems the uncut Witcher 2 was never even submitted to them. The cut version would be the pure choice of the developer/publisher in this case. And yes, the dev/pub made to cut the game may have been because Australia doesn't have the R rating, but the Classification Board doesn't decide that either. They just follow the guidelines they have been given by the Governor Generals.

Stackboy

Sup Ausgaf!

Been on holidays for the last 11 days.

Played lots of Wii games. Clocked 4 player NSMBWii and a good chunk of Donkey Kong Country Returns. Got plenty of SSX3 in as well, just because I am hyped for a new one. Took my wii with me on my beach holiday.

Crazy times in the world huh.

jambo

I want to marry the man who created the fsmgmt.msc run command

EDIT: I really need to get my Wii out of it's box and set it up. Haven't used it since I moved 3 months ago =\

Fredescu said:
So The Witcher 2 was modified for Australian release. Fun.

Really? Even after they showed that slide at that presentation that said it was one version worlwide?

But...but... it was a slide!

(Link?)

Omikron

Clipper said:
It's not a good idea to be advocating one of those options you just gave on GAF, Omi.

People don't like jokes? Because, yeah, I am an advocate for piracy....

Edit: The OFLC site no longer lists 'modified' on the classification summary.

Fredescu

evlcookie said:
Any word on what was actually modified?

I'm guessing GOG is still DRM free and not locked down?
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=813353&page=14

"I will post a press release shortly on this issue. Just to note that the AU version has all the nudity, gore, sex scenes, drug use and everything else in it. It only has one small change and it didn't affect the content of the game."

Maybe it's another Fallout 3 thing and they had to alter the name of a drug or potion or something.

Clipper

Omi said:
People don't like jokes?
The mods certainly don't when that word comes into play.

Edit: The OFLC site no longer lists 'modified' on the classification summary.
Interesting. I guess there's nothing to worry about then.

Fredescu said:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=813353&page=14

"I will post a press release shortly on this issue. Just to note that the AU version has all the nudity, gore, sex scenes, drug use and everything else in it. It only has one small change and it didn't affect the content of the game."

Maybe it's another Fallout 3 thing and they had to alter the name of a drug or potion or something.
This, along with Omi's note makes me think that what they did was to pre-modify the game before submitting. No big deal, I guess.

jambo said:
I want to marry the man who created the fsmgmt.msc run command
There's more (including what you get with fsmgmt.msc) available with compmgmt.msc, if you weren't aware.

Missed this from @supererogatory today:
Judging by the blog visits from Rockstar/Take 2 networks after reposting Agent stuff, I'm certain the game's still very well in development

Danoss

Clipper said:
The OFLC name choked long ago. It's the Classification Board now. Also, they have no fault in this. It seems the uncut Witcher 2 was never even submitted to them. The cut version would be the pure choice of the developer/publisher in this case. And yes, the dev/pub made to cut the game may have been because Australia doesn't have the R rating, but the Classification Board doesn't decide that either. They just follow the guidelines they have been given by the Governor Generals.
I didn't know the name had changed. They obviously didn't choke hard enough. I know they don't set the rules, I'm just letting out a little frustration and it's a bit easier than saying "I hope you choke in your sleep legislation dictated guidelines related to the issue which has raised my current frustration level somewhat".

Omikron

Clipper said:
The mods certainly don't when that word comes into play.

E. Emulation/Piracy

The topics of emulation and piracy, including the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software will all result in the banning of the user in question.

*shrug*

Top Bottom