• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

senahorse

evlcookie said:
As long as it still has the tits, It's all good.

Still going to hold out until mid june when i upgrade though. I will hate everyone of you who is playing it in steam chat, taunting me with your enjoyment of said title.

Apologies if this has been posted, in a rush to leave work but this is what was cut apparently:

Why The Witcher 2 Was Altered for Aussies
By Tim Colwill - Tue May 3, 2011 12:50pm -

The Witcher is a quite, err, sexy game
Overnight, we received word that The Witcher 2 had received an MA15+ rating for "Strong violence, sex scenes, nudity and coarse language". With the game being rated 18+ in the UK, did the developers change anything for the Australian system? We've been in touch with Australian distributors Namco Bandai who can confirm that they did - and here's what it was.

Only one thing was changed: Geralt is no longer able to choose to accept sex as a reward for successfully completing a side quest. The idea of receiving sex as a reward was not suitable for inclusion within an MA15+ classification, so Namco Bandai requested that CD Projekt remove the option of choosing to have sex as one of the rewards for that quest. The quest and the character who offers it are still in the game, but presented in a "slightly different context".

We are assured that this is the only change made to the Australian version of the game: the rest of the game remains untouched.

link

Dead Man

x3n05 said:
Apologies if this has been posted, in a rush to leave work but this is what was cut apparently:

Overnight, we received word that The Witcher 2 had received an MA15+ rating for "Strong violence, sex scenes, nudity and coarse language". With the game being rated 18+ in the UK, did the developers change anything for the Australian system? We've been in touch with Australian distributors Namco Bandai who can confirm that they did - and here's what it was.

Only one thing was changed: Geralt is no longer able to choose to accept sex as a reward for successfully completing a side quest. The idea of receiving sex as a reward was not suitable for inclusion within an MA15+ classification, so Namco Bandai requested that CD Projekt remove the option of choosing to have sex as one of the rewards for that quest. The quest and the character who offers it are still in the game, but presented in a "slightly different context".

We are assured that this is the only change made to the Australian version of the game: the rest of the game remains untouched.

link
Bloody hell, this getting ridiculous. I thought it was bad enough when Morphine was not able to used as the name of a medical drug, but this is also crap. New rules are needed.

x3n05 said:

link

So now you only get a blowjob when you complete the quest in question?

Dead Man said:
Bloody hell, this getting ridiculous. I thought it was bad enough when Morphine was not able to used as the name of a medical drug, but this is also crap. New rules are needed.
Sex as a reward has been something that will earn RC for a long, long time. It was one of the reasons older GTAs had their ratings changed.

Dead Man

codswallop said:
Sex as a reward has been something that will earn RC for a long, long time. It was one of the reasons older GTAs had their ratings changed.
Indeed. It just seems to be picking at a very small nit given the amount of other content in the game. The rules have always been very arbitrary about what constitutes RC, and decision like this reinforce that. Plenty of films deal with sex as a reward. Gah, shit just makes me mad.

Choc

Banned
so wanna know why MK got banned here

the fatalities? nope

the extreme violence and shattering bones? nope

Spoilers for you importers

in the story mode Johnny Cage continuosly hits on Sonya Blade. After a while Sonya gets jack of it and tells him to piss off. Johnny resolves this by beating the shit out of her (this is called sexualised violence in Australia) and then she is poor and defenceless and Kano comes along to help her out. This is one of the main parts of the story mode. No wonder it got banned. Without this, it would have got in

senahorse

Personally I am not bothered by what was cut, apparently sex is still in the game just not the option to take it as a reward. Let's face it, after you have seen it once are you really going to choose it over cool loot?

Dead Man

x3n05 said:
Personally I am not bothered by what was cut, apparently sex is still in the game just not the option to take it as a reward. Let's face it, after you have seen it once are you really going to choose it over cool loot?
It's not that, I just hate being treated like a child and having decisions made for me. I probably won't be getting W2 for ages anyway, being that I haven't even got around to playing the first one yet. It is the principle of the thing.

Edit: It is also the weird criteria of the thing. You can have all this sex, and all this violence, and all these other adult things... but not this one.

Bernbaum

The classification system's fussiness over context will always be a source of frustration.

Are they aliens or humans you are shredding into pieces with you Lancer?

Did you exchange good or services for sexual intercourse, or did you earn that?

Are these generic recreational drugs, or drugs with real-world names?

Such a redundant matter.

Mar

Choc said:
Spoilers for you importers

in the story mode Johnny Cage continuosly hits on Sonya Blade. After a while Sonya gets jack of it and tells him to piss off. Johnny resolves this by beating the shit out of her (this is called sexualised violence in Australia) and then she is poor and defenceless and Kano comes along to help her out. This is one of the main parts of the story mode. No wonder it got banned. Without this, it would have got in

Does that mean what I think it means?

I'm seriously questioning buying this game now.

Fredescu

x3n05 said:
Only one thing was changed: Geralt is no longer able to choose to accept sex as a reward for successfully completing a side quest.
I could live without the cut content, that doesn't sound terribly appealing to me. On the other hand, I want to play the game as the developer intended and judge them on that. I might try and get a Steam copy gifted as I'm sure they will have to protect the GoG version.

codswallop said:

In agreeance with x3n05 i would far rather phat epic loot or similar as a reward over a sex scene. If i wanted to quest for sex i would go play frank's island 3 or some bloody japanese love sim.

Choc

Banned
Mar said:
Does that mean what I think it means?

I'm seriously questioning buying this game now.

that johnny cage is a girl basher? yes. that the video game could be seen as promoting violence as a way to fix this. yes.

Mar

Choc said:
that johnny cage is a girl basher? yes. that the video game could be seen as promoting violence as a way to fix this. yes.

I'm referring to Kano 'helping her out'. Does this imply rape? Kano helping Sonya just doesn't sound correct in the context of all previous MK narrative.

Choc

Banned
Marshmellow said:
In agreeance with x3n05 i would far rather phat epic loot or similar as a reward over a sex scene. If i wanted to quest for sex i would go play frank's island 3 or some bloody japanese love sim.

Grand Theft Auto was banned because you could kill the hooker after sleeping with her

not because you got health as a reward

Choc

Banned
Mar said:
I'm referring to Kano 'helping her out'. Does this imply rape? Kano helping Sonya just doesn't sound correct in the context of all previous MK narrative.

nope. it means that kano comes to kick the shit out of Johnny

senahorse

Dead Man said:
It's not that, I just hate being treated like a child and having decisions made for me. I probably won't be getting W2 for ages anyway, being that I haven't even got around to playing the first one yet. It is the principle of the thing.

Edit: It is also the weird criteria of the thing. You can have all this sex, and all this violence, and all these other adult things... but not this one.

I can understand that, and nor do I agree with video game censorship in this country. In this case I am just glad the game is being released here rather than RC'd, especially when it presumably isn't a game breaking change, just a tacky (albeit in tune with the witcher personality and universe) option. Having said I can fully understand people's frustration and desire to source the game from elsewhere. Me, I will just keep my original Aus Steam pre-order.

Bernbaum

Oh, courtesy of a tweet from Serrels, I'm reminded that soliciting for sex in Australia is perfectly legal for adults, and that prostitutes have a government body set up to support the industry.

But if it's polygon sex, boy, do I have news for you!

LAUGH OUT LOUD AUSTRALIA GUVVERMENTS

Choc

Banned
the stupid thing is under the regulations it probably would have got through

Namco have decided to pre-censor without even taking it to the COB

you cant kill the character after sleeping wtih her so there is no sexualised violence

jambo

Choc said:

TMnuH.gif

Fredescu

x3n05 said:
Only if it doesn't appear on Steam between now and release. I still think it will pop back up on Steam in the next week at a higher price.
If there is a censored version, it should work like L4D2, right? Meaning, if you get the US version gifted, you have the uncensored version. If there is a censored version coming, they will have to create a new App ID for it. Your existing pre order will be the US version, and thus uncensored.

Rahk

x3n05 said:
Only if it doesn't appear on Steam between now and release. I still think it will pop back up on Steam in the next week at a higher price.
Even then your copy will still likely be uncut. The version you get is determined at the time of your purchase, not what country you are in while downloading. So at the time you purchased the game it would have been the uncut version, and I doubt they are going to bother to determine who from Australia bought it previously.

senahorse

Fredescu said:
If there is a censored version, it should work like L4D2, right? Meaning, if you get the US version gifted, you have the uncensored version. If there is a censored version coming, they will have to create a new App ID for it. Your existing pre order will be the US version, and thus uncensored.

Ah, I see what you mean, in that case I guess so (will post back when I get it). And yeah my L4D2 is a gifted version which is uncensored.

Fredescu

Folks with a Kindle, is it worth getting 3G, or is it easy enough to live with Wi Fi only? Did anyone get an ad supported one? Any funky region restrictions I should know about?

senahorse

Fredescu said:
Folks with a Kindle, is it worth getting 3G, or is it easy enough to live with Wi Fi only? Did anyone get an ad supported one? Any funky region restrictions I should know about?

We (gf and I) both got the wi-fi only version a few weeks back and don't regret it one bit. The 3G is handy if you travel a lot and/or you don't have access to wi-fi or a phone you can tether (e.g. iPhone). Also we paid the extra and got the Amazon case with a light, although at $60 it is overpriced, it is a great case and I recommend it.

If you want to save the money and get the ad supported version I believe you can pay a fee down the track to disable them.

Fredescu

jambo said:
I get 3G on any device I can, it just makes everything so much easier!
It's $114 for ad supported wi fi only, and $189 for 3G + wi fi. That's a bit of a jump, and I have my phone for web browsing and junk.

x3n05 said:
We (gf and I) both got the wi-fi only version a few weeks back and don't regret it one bit.
Nice.

I reckon I can handle a few ads. Steam spews ads at me all the time.

senahorse

Fredescu said:
It's $114 for ad supported wi fi only, and $189 for 3G + wi fi. That's a bit of a jump, and I have my phone for web browsing and junk.

Nice.

I reckon I can handle a few ads. Steam spews ads at me all the time.

I think (may be wrong) the ads only pop up when you put it to sleep, I am sure they won't pop up between pages lol

Rahk

Fredescu said:
I have 3G but have barely used it. Might come in handy if you're travelling and really want a new book or something, but so far every book I've bought is has been on Wi-Fi. You could always just prepare in advance or find a Wi-Fi spot. Books tend to take a while for me to get through, so maybe if you do a lot of reading it would be more useful.

There's an experimental web browser that you can use for free on 3G, but it's what you would expect on a Kindle (sluggish and difficult to navigate). Useless if you have a smartphone.

I figured I'd just go ahead and pay the extra for the functionality in case I ever use it. It's nice to know it's there if I ever need it, but it's probably worth saving yourself $40 and going for the non-3G.

As for region restrictions, there are some books unavailable in Australia but you can easily switch your country to America and it won't cost you any extra (some books might even be cheaper), even if you download from 3G. Only costs extra if you send files to your Kindle email or something.

I didn't know there was an ad supported one. I like the screensavers, so given the choice I'd still pay the extra to not have them replaced by ads, but I can see it being appealing if you want to save some money and it doesn't bother you.

Fredescu said:

If you think you're going to download books away from wi-fi then go for it, but don't do it for the web browser, I hear it's terrible.

I think I also might get a Kindle soon. $139US is pretty damn cheap. What's the shipping cost?

senahorse

roosters93 said:
If you think you're going to download books away from wi-fi then go for it, but don't do it for the web browser, I hear it's terrible.

I think I also might get a Kindle soon. $139US is pretty damn cheap. What's the shipping cost?

We paid around $25 for 2 of them, there was no option, courier only. The plus side is it was here in 3 days :).

And just a general comment on the screen, believe the hype, the pearl e-ink screens are amazing to read from, literally no fatigue :D.

Fredescu

Rahk said:
As for region restrictions, there are some books unavailable in Australia but you can easily switch your country to America and it won't cost you any extra (some books might even be cheaper), even if you download from 3G. Only costs extra if you send files to your Kindle email or something.
I've heard about people getting locked out of the store for a certain period of time if you try to buy from the US store while in Australia. Apparently it doesn't happen every time, just sometimes.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I just got on the bus that claims to be my original bus choice but 15 mins late. I wonder where I'm going.

Adventure time!

Omi said:
This isn't really directed at you but I have pirated plenty of games in the past. How else would I play a game like Mother 3? This generation has been a blessing in that thousands of games that had passed us by are now being made available through the Virtual Console, PSN, XBLA or even Steam. My hard drive has all the classic Lucasarts adventures in a folder along with ScummVM, most of the games were purchased but a few are impossible to find for sale. Thankfully companies are re-releasing these games, either as HD upgrades or just dusting the polish off and working out the legal rights. I would never tell someone to pirate a game, if anything the problems with the classification board can be solved through mods or just basic importing. The original Witcher was edited for American gamers and CD Projekt just put up a patch for people to turn their copy of the game into an unrated version, with all the Tarot cards they could handle. The ease of importing games has meant that there are few games that are out of our reach, even though MK was banned people are playing it. Even though Last Window wasn't made available here people are playing it.

Bernbaum said:
The classification system's fussiness over context will always be a source of frustration.
Are they aliens or humans you are shredding into pieces with you Lancer?
Did you exchange good or services for sexual intercourse, or did you earn that?
Are these generic recreational drugs, or drugs with real-world names?
Such a redundant matter.
The most annoying thing is that I just did a quest in TW where in exchange for protecting a few prostitutes they won't charge me for sex, instead I give them a bouquet of flowers so they know I am the man who protected their sisters. So the reward for the quest was making paid sex cheaper. So free sex is forbidden but cheaper paid sex is fine and dandy? These people are supposed to be our peers? It irritates me that I am 24 but I am only allowed to play games suitable for a 15 year old. It just amplifies the argument that people think video games are only for kids.

Shaneus said:
Saaaame. Though if not, my fresh copy of Wipeout 3 SE is definitely waiting for me, so at least I can use my PS3 for that.
PSOne WipEout was sooooo good. Picked up a copy of 2097 a few months back and have had a great time reliving the tracks. I'm sure you already have HD but man, HD is so awesome. They really need to get a full sequel out and about to parade around in Microsofts face. It is a flagship series and needs to be treated as such.

legend166 said:
Also, Channel 9 just described Osama as 'the most hated man since Hitler'. Stalin? Pol Pot?
Kyle Sandilands?

Fredescu said:
Considering it. The wife wants a tablet with a phone, so she won't be swayed by an iPad, even though the tablet is basically to replace her iPod touch. I think she wants to replace the phone and the laptop at the same time. Am I right in thinking that the next wave of Android tablets don't let you make phone calls?
I've seen a few places selling the Tab along with a Galaxy S as a bundle. I think Telstra do it, didn't seem too expensive.

Kritz said:
I don't look for excuses. I just pick one out of my gigantic stockpile at random. They're like fortune cookies, really. Fortune cookies that all say "comics are hard".
What gets you excited to draw a comic? There has to be something that would make you just draw and draw and draw. I look at Presidog and get the feeling that every time Gaz thinks of him he gets a little smile on his face and has a giggle at the funny little guy.

Rez said:
Not to make you guys feels old, but I was ten years old, about to head into primary school for another day of Grade Four. I remember walking into the lounge room and seeing my mum watching it, she'd been watching it as it happened. Switching the tv channels and seeing them all showing literally the same thing really creeped me out.
I was 14 and can't really remember. Hell I can barely remember my first year of uni let alone that far back. The main thing I remember was the invasion of Iraq, can't remember the initial push into Afghanistan either. I remember when my godmother died I was at an Oktoberfest celebration in Geelong but can't remember what I did when I was told my grandfather died. Strange.

senahorse

Rez said:
Not to make you guys feels old, but I was ten years old, about to head into primary school for another day of Grade Four. I remember walking into the lounge room and seeing my mum watching it, she'd been watching it as it happened. Switching the tv channels and seeing them all showing literally the same thing really creeped me out.

A lot can happen it ten years.

Yeah right, I just turned 25 the week before lol

I was at home and my younger brother called me and told me to turn on the news, just as I did I saw the second plane fly behind the reporter and into the second building, it gave me goosebumps.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
PSOne WipEout was sooooo good. Picked up a copy of 2097 a few months back and have had a great time reliving the tracks. I'm sure you already have HD but man, HD is so awesome. They really need to get a full sequel out and about to parade around in Microsofts face. It is a flagship series and needs to be treated as such.
Yeah, have HD. The main reason for buying it was so I could rip the music to use in HD/Fury (just like I did with 2097 ;) ). I'm also curious to see how the high(ish) res looks via the PS1 emulator.

Shaneus said:
Yeah, have HD. The main reason for buying it was so I could rip the music to use in HD/Fury (just like I did with 2097 ;) ). I'm also curious to see how the high(ish) res looks via the PS1 emulator.
The SE also had old tracks didn't it? I remember a kid at my school had it but I never got to play the 3rd one aside from the demo. Just played the first 2 to death. Until the PSP ones. Probably should try the PS2 releases but I don't even remember seeing them in Australia?

Fredescu

Did you guys notice that NFS:HP is $30 on the US store but only $20 on the AU store? Well done Choc! This means it should be $10 tomorrow I guess. Bargain for anyone that hasn't picked it up.

Top Bottom