• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Mar

Fredescu said:
hour and 20 from Sydney to Wollongong. Not that much different is it?

Bwah? I can't even imagine it.

Depends what part of Sydney you're starting from I guess. But from my experience, you'd take 1 and a half hours in peak to get from Sydney to the Shire. From there, I have no idea what it's like, and you've got a long way to go yet.

remz

Rahk said:
So Brink is sounding pretty awesome. Maybe we can get some AusGAF games going? At least one session...
Yeah... I'm most likely gonna buy it, even if it's been hard to find it cheap. Everyone will get it on PC, yeah?

Danoss

Rahk said:
So Brink is sounding pretty awesome. Maybe we can get some AusGAF games going? At least one session...
I'm keen for that, though I've bought mine from ozgameshop, so it'll be a bit after launch. I don't think I'm the only one doing this, I'm sure there are a number of others. I'm looking to brink as a game to play regularly and hoping it lives up to what I want it to be.

If done it should be good, our AusGAF gaming sessions are few and far between but are great when they do happen.

Edit: Remz: here for $38

Frawdder

reptilescorpio said:
Bit rash to blame CD RED for a publishing dispute. They had it for $45 on GOG and Steam for quite a long time before they were pressured to put the price up. Also Ubisoft gets a pass? After their last stab at PC DRM? They thankfully dropped it but I wouldn't be surprised if they try again soon. At least TW2 only has Day One protection, don't even need a retail DVD in the drive. Not to mention the way they treated the original Witcher.
The list was only for games from companies that are price jacked on Steam and therefore warrant waiting for a sale or getting it gifted. I'm not blaming CD Projekt RED for anything (other than, perhaps, for choosing Namco Bandai for local distribution). It's not a mark against CDPR, but if Namco Bandai are going to continue to distribute CDPR's games in Australia then it's best to start looking for importing/gifting options.

Ubisoft gets a pass because they, as yet, don't jack the price of their games for Australian customers.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It has also been corrected on GOG. The witcher 2 is now priced locally and i believe we get credit back for the difference along with the fact it's now censored.

As usual, Importing it from ozgame or something for cheaper and uncensored is the best way.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Jintor said:
Or good old international Steam gifting.

Going by previous posts, It looks like L4D2 may have gotten changed for some people? So I have to wonder if the same thing might happen here.

I think i will pick up brink but a week or two after it's been released, See how the game reviews and fairs, If there's a good amount of people playing on the PC side as well.

Rahk

evlcookie said:
Going by previous posts, It looks like L4D2 may have gotten changed for some people? So I have to wonder if the same thing might happen here.
That was for people who bought it themselves before it was known it would be censored.

All gifted copies have remained uncensored.

Salazar

Google ad is for a laptop at JB with a "nanometer coating chassis".

Someone more educated than me will have to let me know if this is as nonsensical as it appears.

Fredescu

Mar said:
But from my experience, you'd take 1 and a half hours in peak to get from Sydney to the Shire. From there, I have no idea what it's like, and you've got a long way to go yet.
I don't go via the Shire, but man, and hour and a half? From where? On a horse? My brother lived in Cronulla for the longest time. From the Ryde area or Hills area it would never take me more than an hour unless there was an accident on the M5 or something. Don't you live in the Inner West? It's just down the road. Liverpool before that? You wouldn't go via the Shire to Wollongong from there, it's quicker to take the Hume and then Picton road.

I know the M5 can be pretty crap with all the tunnel screwups, so if it's seriously taking you and hour and a half to get to another suburb, take M2>M7 and get out of Sydney that way. It may look a long way on the map, but there is never heavy traffic on the M7. Once your past the Beecroft tunnel it's usually plain sailing even at peak. I can't imagine where you'd have to be in Sydney for that to take longer than an hour and a half to be out of Sydney. Like I said earlier, maybe the far Nor East like Palm Beach.

CryptiK

Ship Carrier: DHL
Tracking ID:
Latest Event: Los Angeles Gateway CA
Departure Scan - May 05, 2011 1:16:00 PM
Text Trace:
Sign-up to receive text tracking alerts

Ship Carrier: DHL
Tracking ID:
Latest Event: Los Angeles Gateway CA
Arrival Scan - May 05, 2011 6:53:00 AM
Text Trace:
Sign-up to receive text tracking alerts

Did my package arrive back in time?

edit: Nope just an amazon screw up.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rahk said:
That was for people who bought it themselves before it was known it would be censored.

All gifted copies have remained uncensored.

I got mine gifted and it's uncensored, I thought that was the case but you always hear random ass stories.

I'm still waiting until june / july for the witcher 2. Well i'm going to try to.

My iMac arrives next week, so just trying to get the low down on steam. How easy is it to set up controller support? Can I use the 360 wireless controller? If I buy a game on steam for Mac, do I also get the Windows version?

Cheers.

Mar

Fredescu said:
I don't go via the Shire, but man, and hour and a half? From where? On a horse? My brother lived in Cronulla for the longest time. From the Ryde area or Hills area it would never take me more than an hour unless there was an accident on the M5 or something. Don't you live in the Inner West? It's just down the road. Liverpool before that? You wouldn't go via the Shire to Wollongong from there, it's quicker to take the Hume and then Picton road.

I know the M5 can be pretty crap with all the tunnel screwups, so if it's seriously taking you and hour and a half to get to another suburb, take M2>M7 and get out of Sydney that way. It may look a long way on the map, but there is never heavy traffic on the M7. Once your past the Beecroft tunnel it's usually plain sailing even at peak. I can't imagine where you'd have to be in Sydney for that to take longer than an hour and a half to be out of Sydney. Like I said earlier, maybe the far Nor East like Palm Beach.

It almost always took an hour and a half to get from Randwick to Liverpool via the M5 in peak (when I used to drive, which I did for 4 years and mostly took the Hume as the M5 was slower).

Admittedly I've never been from Randwick to Wollongong along the Princes Highway, but I just can't imagine you could do it in an hour and a half. Perhaps my peak hour driving has altered my expectations.

Yes I live in Newtown now, and the longest traffic jams from my home to work is 30 minutes. I have no basis to complain (now).

Fredescu

Ah, yeah I feel for you. The M5 is easily the worst M.

Or rather, I felt for you*. You have it nice now. I now live and work in the West. 10 minute drive to work is sweet.

Edit:
* More correctly, I feel for your past self.

Mar

Fredescu said:
Ah, yeah I feel for you. The M5 is easily the worst M.

Or rather, I felt for you*. You have it nice now. I now live and work in the West. 10 minute drive to work is sweet.

Edit:
* More correctly, I feel for your past self.

I am strangely aroused.

Whereabouts in the west if you don't mind me asking?

Sutton Dagger said:
My iMac arrives next week, so just trying to get the low down on steam. How easy is it to set up controller support? Can I use the 360 wireless controller? If I buy a game on steam for Mac, do I also get the Windows version?

Cheers.

Don't know about the controller but yes if you buy a Mac/PC Game on Steam you have it for both

The Xbox controller will probably not work out of the box (least not with proper trigger support) like it does on PCs, due to it being Microsoft's drivers. You'll need to Google for answers to that.

I have an iMac 27" and I haven't been able to get the Xbox 360 controller to work with it properly yet... I believe there are ways around it but it's a pain in the arse.

You're probably better off using Bootcamp or something.

I also just picked up Mass Effect for $5 on Steam... that is a crazy good bargain :)

Dead Man

Danoss said:
I'm keen for that, though I've bought mine from ozgameshop, so it'll be a bit after launch. I don't think I'm the only one doing this, I'm sure there are a number of others. I'm looking to brink as a game to play regularly and hoping it lives up to what I want it to be.

If done it should be good, our AusGAF gaming sessions are few and far between but are great when they do happen.

Edit: Remz: here for $38
Hm... I thought it was MP only, guess not. Might have to give it a go if I can run it.

mandiller

Here's the latest gizmo I've picked up, I thought I'd share:

SzHyl.jpg

YLxO9.jpg

t2Mqr.jpg

I ordered the 3G version from Amazon and it got here from the US to Australia in just two days. I was pretty surprised it got here that quickly. All together with courier shipping it came in at $199, which is an awesome price (thank you strong Aussie dollar!).

This is my first e-reader and first experience with ebooks. I'm really impressed with the Kindle. The screen is easy to read and doesn't hurt your eyes. The contrast level is really nice and you can tweak a bunch of text settings like choose between three different fonts, change the size, line spacing etc. The whole device seems really well put together.

The 3G works perfectly fine in Australia (I'm in a capital city though, coverage may vary), so I can use the web browser on it to surf Gaf in grayscale when I'm out an about
3AQmK.gif
Definitely a nice feature. Free 3G internet is kind of unheard of so I'm really surprised it works here in Australia.

With the 3G (or wifi) you can access the Kindle bookstore right on the device and buy books. They're all pretty cheap and there is reasonably good selection. All the big titles are there and some of the smaller titles too, and a lot of free classics of course. I'm reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell at the moment and it only cost me $7.60. I've got another bunch of books lined up after this so I've got my work cut out for me.

Finished ME1, second runthrough.
Wrex alive, Rachni Queen alive, let Kaiden die, saved the Council, chose Anderson, full Renegade.
Ran through the game the second time with Ashley and Tali, first time with Garrus and Wrex.

Looking forward to playing ME2 with McDongs Shepard! Since Orbi asked, this is my first run. I've played maybe two hours worth before my computer died last year, so this will be 90% new to me.

Jintor

You know, i'm really glad Dad impulse bought a Kindle back in Christmas back when I had no interest in it. When my interest picked up it was right here.

Anyway, at the moment I'm finding it most useful for research books for university and the like. Don't have to wait two weeks for material... just straight outta the interwebs!

jambo

Man I really need to get back in to ME2, I played a tonne of ME1 and it burnt me out so when I started playing ME2 I got bored after about 3-4 hours.

Port wilted as expected in the final quarter. At least we didn't crash and burn like I expected. Doesn't look promising for Hawthorn though. Went through a 7 pack of XXXX, doing my part for the flood appeal.

evlcookie said:
My L4D was gifted during the thanksgiving sale and it is still the unedited version

Fredescu said:
I have a feeling it's going to be fairly easy to "fix". Probably just a file replacement or something.
I expect the people on the forum will have details within the first hour of release going by how hardcore some of those people are. I usually grab a DVD crack but this is the first time I will be downloading a pirated fix for quite a while. Ah PC gaming, you certainly are a mysterious mistress.

Megadrive said:
ME2 with McDongs Shepard!
I know it has been said to death but the game is a lot better with FemShep.

mandiller said:
Here's the latest gizmo I've picked up
It has rave reviews from others on AusGAF, just waiting for the dollar to peak.

Jintor

I'm regretting never going through some kind of blog-writing phase. I found one of my friend's old livejournals from like 2002/2003. Omnia mutantir, nihil interit.

Shaneus

Can you get magazines (like Edge) on Kindle as well? I had no idea the display looked that good up close. Must be a ridiculously high resolution/dpi.

e-ink FTW!

Not sure how good magazines heavy on images etc would look on it, but I honestly haven't tried.

I know I always crap on about my love for my Kindle, but I can't recommend them enough. For me it is like when I got an iPod for the first time and wondered how the hell I ever lived without it. My Kindle goes with me almost everywhere now :)

The Kindle platform in general (and airsync) is fantastic as well. I have the kindle app on my desire, my ipad, and my ipod. If I'm ever on a bus/in queue at the bank/on the toilet and don't have my Kindle, odds are I will have something with the Kindle app on it and it only takes a second to sync my progress and start reading from where I was up to.

In related news, I finally finished Wise Man's Fear last night. Probably didn't quite live up to the hype I had for it, but a decent read overall. Going to start on Peter V Brett's Painted Man, anyone here read it?

Bernbaum

Nice pickup Mandiller.

Will be particularly interested to see what your long-term impressions are, as I know you're an iPad owner. I've got the Kindle app on my iPad 2 and prefer almost everything about it to Apple's iBooks - namely the richer catalogue. I've bought a few things on Kindle and am delighted to know that there's parity across platforms for my purchases.

Quick question: I have no interest in 3G. Is the Wi-fi only model ad-supported? That sounds like such an obnoxious intrusion of something I consider to be a personal experience - reading a book.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
There was housing talk a page or so ago and I wanted to ask. If the housing market does crash, Will apartments fall also or do they stick around a similar price to what they are now due to their location, Say the CBD?

Bernbaum said:
Quick question: I have no interest in 3G. Is the Wi-fi only model ad-supported? That sounds like such an obnoxious intrusion of something I consider to be a personal experience - reading a book.
There's a normal wifi model and then a cheaper ad supported model. ($25 less)

Amazon also gives you the option to pay the $25 later if you get sick of the ads which is nice.

Bernbaum

roosters93 said:
There's a normal wifi model and then a cheaper ad supported model. ($25 less)

Amazon also gives you the option to pay the $25 later if you get sick of the ads which is nice.
Ta.

Very good chance I'll drop an order for one next week. Sounds to me like Amazon want to get as many of these things into people's hands as possible. The $150 or so the thing will cost seems damn reasonable, especially considering I have a perfectly iPad fine and getting a Kindle would essentially provide nought but the luxury of convenience.

Last chance to get in on the action!

http://shop.ebay.com.au/vicious_killer_squirrel/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

Systems:

Gameboy Advance SP2+ (AGS-101 backlit model)

Playstation 2 + accessories

DS:

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (cartridge only)

Radiant Historia w/ Music CD

Tingle's Balloon Fight

GBA:

Final Fantasy VI Advance

NES Classics: Legend of Zelda (cartridge only)

NES Classics: Zelda II The Adventure of Link

Gameboy Color:

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (No box)

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (cartridge only)

Wii:

Kirby's Epic Yarn (JP version)

Super Mario Galaxy (US version)

Gamecube:

Super Mario Sunshine

Why couldn't you just block whatever ad server the ad-supported Kindle looks to at your router if you just had the wi-fi version?

I wonder whether it's clever enough to know if it's being blocked and pop up a "stop being a bastard" type message.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Gazunta said:
It's free comic book day everyone, get your ass to your local comic shop and enjoy goodies!
I'm heading into melb cbd, got a link or any extra info?

Looks like I've found 3 stores, how does this work? I assume it's a selected set of comics?

It is a select set. I hope I get darkwing and inspector gadget!

Bernbaum said:
you'll be asked to endure "advertisements on the bottom of the device's home page and on its screen savers."
I would probably just pay the extra $25 so I never have to worry about it in the future.

Gazunta said:
It's free comic book day everyone, get your ass to your local comic shop and enjoy goodies!
I would if Geelong had a comic book store. There is one on Brunswick Street in Melb that I enjoyed but it is way too far to go.

Bernbaum said:
With Paul Verhoeven? Awesome, I always enjoy it when he gets more time on Triple J Like when he took over breakfasts from Tom & Alex this week. Has great taste in music, anyone who plays The Naked & Famous followed by Dead Letter Circus is alright in my book. Hopefully they avoid the childish acting that drew me away from Good Game. Please no memes.

Top Bottom