• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Shaneus

Rad is used on Idle Thumbs ALL THE TIME. It's now entered my everyday vernacular.

Bah, was going to #4000 with this post, too. Damnit!

Frawdder

Radelaide is pretty awesome.

Speaking of ages, last night at work my 2IC thought I was 18 and was confident of this "fact". The look on his face when I told him I was 23 was priceless.

Jintor

Just spent an hour and a half watching a colleague play LA Noire. Seeing "Sydney Australia" on a credits screen is really awesome.

Clipper

Frawdder said:
Radelaide is pretty awesome.

Speaking of ages, last night at work my 2IC thought I was 18 and was confident of this "fact". The look on his face when I told him I was 23 was priceless.
Reminds me of when I was about 23 or 24 and was at my flatmate's girlfriend's birthday party (she was 17, in her senior year). One of her friends from school started hitting on me. I tactfully brushed away her advances without letting on my age. Found out later she thought I was about 20. Made me feel pretty good hearing that at the time. Oh.. so long ago now...

Then again, that could have been a lot of fun too, but I doubt I could live down the guilt.

Aon

Jintor said:
Just spent an hour and a half watching a colleague play LA Noire. Seeing "Sydney Australia" on a credits screen is really awesome.

LA NOIRE HALF AN HOUR LONG CONFIRMED! INTERACTIVE MOVIES HAVE FAILED. NO BUY.

Jintor

Neverender said:
Are you able to comment on the game itself?

Uh, I can, I guess? But given I wasn't actually playing (much) of it myself, I'm not sure how much I want to say. Other than it's noir as hell.

Ydahs

Quite insane that just two years ago a lot of local footy grounds in Melbourne were suffering from drought. Heck, the council didn't permit us to train on our ground to a couple of months because of how dry it was.

Yesterday, large parts of our ground was submerged in water and every step not matter where, resulted in a massive splash. The ground can't absorb anymore water and the deep pockets are always wet, even if it hasn't rained for a week.

Funny how things can change so quickly.

Also, following the NPD today and seeing the 3DS struggling I'm really wondering how it's going in Australia. I haven't seen one 3DS in public, yet I rarely see any handhelds anyway. Have we gotten an indication on its performance at all?

Ydahs

Jintor said:
Well, my 3DS at least has passed about 48 other 3DSes in a month and a bit.
Does it track only unique 3DSes or any 3DS in the vicinity?

Haven't bought one myself and don't know of anyone who has one. I'm just waiting for that one killer app (Mario) so I can buy it with three or four other games. Or a revision with a new design and better battery life.

Clipper

Ydahs said:
Does it track only unique 3DSes or any 3DS in the vicinity?

Haven't bought one myself and don't know of anyone who has one. I'm just waiting for that one killer app (Mario) so I can buy it with three or four other games. Or a revision with a new design and better battery life.
You only get one StreetPass per 3DS each time. To get multiple hits from the same person, you have to use the 3DS between the hits. You also get the Mii of the person you passed, so you can be aware of duplicates over multiple days too.

You have to enable the StreetPass functionality manually, so there'll be a bunch of clueless people out there too. Also, it seems the ping frequency isn't perfect, so you might miss out. Sometimes it takes seconds for them to see each other and exchange data, other times minutes.

Moussey choclits bought... This better be good.

Also: had to buy feminine type products for the gf for the first time in 8 years. What a baffling fucking experience.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
God damn rain, I'm soaked and that was just waiting for the bus.

Fuck you metro for running late and making me miss my early bus!

I can always find a reason to be pissed off at those fucktards.

Fredescu

Salazar, if there's still room left in your budget, go up a step in motherboards for better overclocking down the track: http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=106&bid=2&sid=73790

$140 odd left over in your budget might be enough to squeeze in a small SSD if you have money to burn. You'd have to ask cookie or someone about the particular drive, I don't know much about all the different ones. This one is only $138 http://umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2 but I don't know if it's any good. The idea of an SSD is to just install your OS and a few apps on it and install your games and store your stuff on the other drive. They really do load stuff lightning quick, although it makes no real difference to games since they're all based around having load times already.

Also, you'll need to think about a gamepad at some point. If you have a PS3 I think you can get those working with a bit of fiddling. For a 360 controller, you'll either need a wired one, or hunt down a wireless adapter (can be tricky to find).

BanShunsaku said:
Also: had to buy feminine type products for the gf for the first time in 8 years. What a baffling fucking experience.

So buy her a pack of extra large nappies and a roll of paper towels. I guarantee you will never be asked to buy tampons/pads again.

House of the Dead Overkill for $13 on OzGameShop. EBgames will have ME2 SE for $28 and DJ Hero 2 Pack for $38. Heard Mutual Slump by DJ Shadow on Triple J today and was in pure bliss. New Arctic Monkeys song is fantastic, how can you not love a song with these lyrics?
Break a mirror, roll the dice
Run with scissors through a chip pan firefight
Go into business with a grizzly bear
But just don’t sit down cause i’ve moved your chair
Pure gold once again.
Also it seems like Anon have quite a few members who just want to annoy people. You guys really aren't helping us consumers try and tell companies that we are going to play nice with their stuff. Looking forward to the next gen of consoles coming with a personal security officer to stand over our shoulder making sure we aren't haxoring into their company. Also some of you guys like Game Of Thrones. I really don't enjoy watching AFL any more. 70% of the play comes from free kicks and half of them are incorrect.

Kritz said:
Did Brink go back down in price or something? It's $60 usd. I thought it was at like $80 or $90.
Was originally $45 when it went up for pre-order right? Or am I just imagining things?

Fredescu said:
Buying a digital game guide from the internet is even worse. At least a book looks nice on a shelf.
I agree, some of the game guides over the years look good enough to keep out for others to flick through. The Final Fantasy Ultimanias are also incredibly cool.

Choabac said:
Why are they crying poor?
Because everyone feels that they are entitled to do fuck all work and spend most of their lives on holiday. Because rather than buy products that are more than good enough they have to use the ones that cost 4 times more and inflate their self image. Because people don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. People have gotten complacent and greedy. They see big businesses making profit in the face of devastating thousands of people lives and wonder why they should do any differently? Why bother doing the right thing when everyone else will just push on ahead of you, leaving you behind with all the other people who think it is okay to "just get by". All society cares about is profit and progress, while saying we care about all these things/problems, creating committees and councils who sit around all day discussing the problem but never making any push towards putting into place anything to combat the problems, because after all it would cost money. And effort.
Sorry to be all 'the world is shit', some people are trying but it is hard to see us turning it all around before it is too late. On a positive note Sam Simmons did a full 24 hours of radio broadcast to raise awareness of a charity, which was great.

Salazar said:
If I have kids, they'll go public. That said, I will find the best goddamn public school there is.
The bolded part is the important thing. Who cares if it is a private school? I want my son to go to the best school that offers reasonable value for money. Why pay $40,000 a year for a school marginally better than one for $20,000? Plenty of private/religious schools out there that are garbage, same with public. I will ask parents who have previously sent kids to the school, check out the goss on google and bother to physically go to the school and get shown around. I will also ask my son what he thinks of the school while he is there. If he thinks it is crap then what is the point?

Agyar said:
In further expected news, Abbott yet again demands the government call an election because the Liberals weren't voted in last time and not governing for two more years is boring.
I fully expect Abbott to start turning up to work in his pjs and start having press conferences on the beach while he goes for a dip. All he has to do is sling shit for a few more years and watch the swing put him into the big job.

3chopl0x said:
1. Nothing really, I've been described as a cave troll by my friends. I will be studying IT (Diploma/networking).
2. PC, I added my Steam ID to the spreadsheet.
3. It's Geralt from The Witcher being awesome.
4. It certainly is!
Welcome! There is a steam spreadsheet? You are already awesome because you love The Witcher.

Bernbaum said:
1. Mastodon - Crack the Skye
2. Sarah Blasko - As Day Follows Night
3. Tron Legacy: Reconfigured
4. yOya - Nothing to Die
5. Four Tet - There is Love in You
You should check out;
1. Kaura - That Which Defines Us / Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet / Battles - Glass Drop
2. Ball Park Music - Rich People Are Stupid / Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes / Amanda Palmer - Popular Hits Of Radiohead EP / Dangermouse - Rome
3. Skream - Shot Yourself In The Foot EP / Daft Punk - Remix After All (Tribute) / Deadmau5 - 4x4=12
4. The Wombats - This Modern Glitch / TV On The Radio - 9 Types Of Light / Broken Bells - Broken Bells / Junip - In Every Direction EP
5. Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972 / Burial - Street Halo EP / Kode9 - Black Sun / The Field - From Here We Go Sublime

Shaneus said:
Eat it Collingwood. Getting pantsed by Geelong ATM.
I would say the umpires are pantsing both teams at the moment. Plus Geelong can't kick straight to save a little boy in hospital right now.

Picked up Burnout 3, Freak Out (Stretch Panic outside of EU) and King's Field 4 from the ebgames 3 or 2 sale. For $20. KF4 is pretty much mint condition. Haven't played Burnout 3 since I lived with my last housemate who had an Xbox.

senahorse

fappenmeister said:
Cadbury-Mousse-Caramel-variety supremacy!

I like the caramel, but I prefer the standard I think. Either way they are both awesome, *breaks off another ice-cream cone shaped block*

edit:

Seriously ausgaf, the best chocolate is the one combined with peanut butter and so I present to you my latest favourite chocolate nibblies

Peanut Butter Lindt Balls

Lindt+Peanut+Butter+Balls+-+01+Box.jpg

Peanut Butter M&Ms

big-bag-mars-peanut-butter-m-m-s-143-p.jpg

Echoplx

Thanks for the welcome guys!

reptilescorpio said:
Welcome! There is a steam spreadsheet? You are already awesome because you love The Witcher.

The spreadsheet in the OT has a section for putting your Steam ID but there is also a general GAF Steam spreadsheet here :)

I really do love The Witcher, I just wish the books would be translated faster!

Choc

Banned
reptilescorpio said:

Because everyone feels that they are entitled to do fuck all work and spend most of their lives on holiday. Because rather than buy products that are more than good enough they have to use the ones that cost 4 times more and inflate their self image. Because people don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. People have gotten complacent and greedy. They see big businesses making profit in the face of devastating thousands of people lives and wonder why they should do any differently? Why bother doing the right thing when everyone else will just push on ahead of you, leaving you behind with all the other people who think it is okay to "just get by". All society cares about is profit and progress, while saying we care about all these things/problems, creating committees and councils who sit around all day discussing the problem but never making any push towards putting into place anything to combat the problems, because after all it would cost money. And effort

1233928590_citizenkaneclapping.gif

Fredescu said:
Also, you'll need to think about a gamepad at some point. If you have a PS3 I think you can get those working with a bit of fiddling. For a 360 controller, you'll either need a wired one, or hunt down a wireless adapter (can be tricky to find).

Can you use a PS3 controller with steam games (that support gamepads) or only 360 ones? I can't find the wireless receiver for the 360.

Sutton Dagger said:
Can you use a PS3 controller with steam games (that support gamepads) or only 360 ones? I can't find the wireless receiver for the 360.
Google Motionjoy for the PS3 controller. 360 requires a wired controller or the wireless receiver. Just buy a wired controller from ebgames for $20 preowned.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
I would say the umpires are pantsing both teams at the moment. Plus Geelong can't kick straight to save a little boy in hospital right now.
Ugh, it was fucking painful to watch. An extra two or three straight shots would have us even, if not #winning.

Shaneus

If you're wanting to use a 360 pad, wired would be the only way to go. I've heard of some weird problems with the wiress + dongle.

Edit: Double post! Herpa derpa.

Sutton Dagger said:
You can download the MotioninJoy drivers and use your PS3 controller via USB as an emulated 360 wired controller, then all you have to do is change how the shoulder buttons work.

Edit: Beaten, damn.

Fredescu

Shaneus said:
If you're wanting to use a 360 pad, wired would be the only way to go. I've heard of some weird problems with the wiress + dongle.
Wireless works fine in most cases, and its handy because there are no wires. There's a fix for all the games it was working strangely with.

Thanks for the controller info guys, will probs just get a preowned one from EB then, Ebay seems expessive.

Also, what is the best way to stream 1080p content to the TV from a Mac? Apple TV can't do 1080p right?

Top Bottom