• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Salazar

3chopl0x said:
It doesn't matter what the monitor has, all the audio output is handled by the motherboard.

Good news.

I am, you see, the one-legged, mud-covered idiot banging on the great doors of the PC Village, begging for pity's sake to be let in.

Echoplx

Salazar said:
Good news.

I am, you see, the one-legged, mud-covered idiot banging on the great doors of the PC Village, begging for pity's sake to be let in.

Don't worry, we all have to start somewhere, it wasn't too long ago I had no idea what i was doing :p

Salazar said:
OK.

Self-humiliation time.

http://www.benq.com.au/products/product_detail.cfm?product=1765&pltag=2&ptag=145

This monitor (which I've bought), seems bullshit on the audio front - it doesn't have speakers itself, and it seems only grudgingly to have a headphone jack. What am I going to do for speakers, and speaker input ?
I'm picking up a Xonar DG soundcard for quality surround sound. Plus some decent Logitech 5.1 speakers, still rocking the solid X-530's. I think the Z-506 is the new model?

Salazar

reptilescorpio said:
I'm picking up a Xonar DG soundcard for quality surround sound. Plus some decent Logitech 5.1 speakers, still rocking the solid X-530's. I think the Z-506 is the new model?

I will take the brand recommendation.

AC:Bro is actually a pretty good game to play without sound.

Danoss

Well, I was waiting for the trifecta to happen. As we know, things come in threes, especially bad things, or in my case, things breaking.

Earlier in the week, I had:

1. HDMI module died on HDTV
2. OG 60GB PS3 died.

Finally today, as I was browsing the web, BAM, reboot. I thought it was a minor power issue or something, instead it goes into a startup repair loop (and will no longer recognise my keyboard, just my nice one, every other one is fine). Time to pull out the old Win 7 disk for a repair using checkdisk and mbr/boot sector repair. No dice, Win 7 disk says it's not compatible with my Windows installation, so:

3. Corrupt SSD, time to reinstall Windows. Enjoy the start to the weekend.

Rahk

Sutton Dagger said:
Thanks for the controller info guys, will probs just get a preowned one from EB then, Ebay seems expessive.
You could get a Razer Onza. I prefer it over the official controller. Got my TE from Amazon, but it will probably cost you over $60 incl. shipping.

I think the standard one would probably be around $50 incl. shipping

Rezbit

For the first time in oh, I don't know, 10 years? I watched a bit of rage. Saw a 30 minute long Beastie Boys clip that was pretty awesome but light on music. Then followed by a heap of absolute shit Lady Gaga song. I know the mainstream like some shit songs, but really...this is a joke right? Surely we're past using religion as being either shocking or cool. I haven't seen any song as pretentious or try hard as that in a long time.

Danoss

That should be me Jintor, I need to mourn the death of my SSD. I thought I breathed life back into it, but it just died again. Installing Windows on secondary SSD now, if it fails again, I have greater problems.

Edit: Secondary SSD did the same thing, looks like my motherboard must be fucked.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Repost from the thread about Tyler the Creators album Goblin,

So I shaved thismorning to look pretty.

Went into the CBD and bought the album. Got ID'd as I had to be over 18 to buy it.. (I'm 23)

then I went to a bar to buy beer. didn't get ID'd

priorities lol

HolyCheck said:
Repost from the thread about Tyler the Creators album Goblin,

So I shaved thismorning to look pretty.

Went into the CBD and bought the album. Got ID'd as I had to be over 18 to buy it.. (I'm 23)

then I went to a bar to buy beer. didn't get ID'd

priorities lol

Seriously? Wow. Didn't know that.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Danoss said:
That should be me Jintor, I need to mourn the death of my SSD. I thought I breathed life back into it, but it just died again. Installing Windows on secondary SSD now, if it fails again, I have greater problems.

Edit: Secondary SSD did the same thing, looks like my motherboard must be fucked.
Are you using the same sata port or cable?

Shaneus said:
Fucking body clock.
I know, right? First morning in about a month that I can have a good sleep in and I wake up at 6:30.

Why can't the Witcher 2 be out already, at least I'd have something new to play!

BanShunsaku said:
Why can't the Witcher 2 be out already, at least I'd have something new to play!
Yeah I even went into ebgames just to ask if my pre-order was still all good and what time they open at. Getting a little sad. On the plus side I have 3500 words to write and the library at uni is only open between 1pm and 5pm so I will have to hideout down in the computer labs instead of in the new multi-million dollar library. Yay!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I downloaded alpha protocol from d2d with their app, installed it this morning. Activation window popped up and failed, figured I might need to update to 1.1. Downloaded that and it's just the game exe, interesting, replace the original with that. Instant crashing on loading app.

GOTY

Darklord said:
Zavvi has it for $36. Although, that means an extra week of waiting.
Had the mega special edition pre ordered at EB, ended up cancelling and just getting it for
$42 on GOG. Got it preloaded and ready to go, according to the FAQ on GOG it will be unlocking 10pm GMT on the 16th, which is 8am on Tuesday.

Going to be tough to go to work that day!

evlcookie said:
I downloaded alpha protocol from d2d with their app, GOTY
Moral of the story, buy steam redeemable games from d2d. Also AP is pretty damn good, hope you can get it up and running. Once you are in-game put plenty of points into chain shot and enjoy the ride.

Echoplx

BanShunsaku said:
Had the mega special edition pre ordered at EB, ended up cancelling and just getting it for
$42 on GOG. Got it preloaded and ready to go, according to the FAQ on GOG it will be unlocking 10pm GMT on the 16th, which is 8am on Tuesday.

Going to be tough to go to work that day!

I think they actually changed it now so it also unlocks on the 17th :(

Really hoping the Steam pre-load happens, it was mentioned in an interview and we have TF2 hats to go with it now!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The Saturday train begger is back, I don't think he ever left. He seems to float around on the pakenham line train asking people for money so he can eat.

I wonder how much this gets him every week.

markot

Banned
evlcookie said:
The Saturday train begger is back, I don't think he ever left. He seems to float around on the pakenham line train asking people for money so he can eat.

I wonder how much this gets him every week.
Follow him!

Jintor

Hopefully enough to eat.

One of my friends is more or less starving to death over the next eight weeks because Centrelink cut off her payments, but she's too prideful to ask for help. Infuriating.

Jintor said:
One of my friends is more or less starving to death over the next eight weeks because Centrelink cut off her payments, but she's too prideful to ask for help. Infuriating.
Why did they cut her off? Unless she went against their wishes Centrelink will work with her to get her enough money to get by. It is only if they told her to go to work training or she continually misses appointments that they will cut her off completely.

Danoss

evlcookie said:
Are you using the same sata port or cable?
I fixed the problem. My motherboard is indeed a piece of shit.

What it decides to do is switch around the hard disk boot sequence. If the boot drive isn't at the top, it will fail to start (but if cd-rom is listed as a boot device above it, this doesn't matter and it will still boot). I still don't know what started everything with the random restart, there were no power issues or anything similar, I assume the motherboard will be dying soon.

A couple of USB ports are now dead and unusable.

Jintor

reptilescorpio said:
Why did they cut her off? Unless she went against their wishes Centrelink will work with her to get her enough money to get by. It is only if they told her to go to work training or she continually misses appointments that they will cut her off completely.

Bam. Missed three appointments in six months. Stupid of her, but I don't want her to starve.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm temped to buy one of those expensive waterpicks even though that is madness.

What is madness is super Mario bros on nes in gametraders for $50. The fuck??

where is that 1001 videogame book located in book stores? I can't find that fucker at all

Danoss said:
I still don't know what started everything with the random restart, there were no power issues or anything similar, I assume the motherboard will be dying soon.

A couple of USB ports are now dead and unusable.
Start replacing bits or building a new system now. There's every chance the faulty motherboard will start taking other hardware down with it, making things more expensive in the long run.

Anyone else getting pissed and watching Eurovision?

choodi

Banned
Jintor said:
Bam. Missed three appointments in six months. Stupid of her, but I don't want her to starve.
This will probably sound really harsh, but if she's unemployed, what else did she have to do that was so important?

Danoss said:
I fixed the problem. My motherboard is indeed a piece of shit.
All the more reason to jump on board the upgrade wagon! i5 2500k will last for years. Otherwise wait until AMD Bulldozer comes out if you are into AMD. I think it's meant to hit in June/July.

Jintor said:
Ah, well hasn't she got any family to live with while she tries to find a job? It took a fair bit of screwing around but I managed to keep Centrelink going while I was at uni full-time even after going over my allotted allowed time for the course. Well, until I had to work full-time to pay for a baby anyway. I'm sure an opportunity will come up for her, plenty of honest jobs out there is you ask enough people.

Danoss

codswallop said:
Start replacing bits or building a new system now. There's every chance the faulty motherboard will start taking other hardware down with it, making things more expensive in the long run.?
Too poor to do this at present. I'll just keep saving and hope my wallet beats my computer to the punch.

reptilescorpio said:
All the more reason to jump on board the upgrade wagon! i5 2500k will last for years. Otherwise wait until AMD Bulldozer comes out if you are into AMD. I think it's meant to hit in June/July.
It's not like my computer is ancient, I'm running an i7 950, 6GB RAM and ATI 5870. It's barely 6 months old.

Shaneus

Well, picked up my package from the post office. It was... my Kinect.

Whoever ordered it from The Hut (damnit, I can't remember), did they write the name of the game on the box?

PS. Just signed into my 360 for the first time since I sent my Kinect away and there's an "update" for my device. Any ideas?

legend166

Jintor said:

For fear of sounding harsh because I don't know the actual situation - give her some money for food for a couple of weeks, and tell her to get a job?

It's a employee's market out there.

Shaneus said:
PS. Just signed into my 360 for the first time since I sent my Kinect away and there's an "update" for my device. Any ideas?
Australian Accent patch!

So here I am in the underground computer labs. Downloaded a powerpoint and a pdf to print out. I'm logged into my staff account as we get unlimited (but still monitored downloads) which means all printing will be on my staff card. Format and print the exact pages that I want and go to the nearest printer to swipe and print. Turns out there is a "networking error". Which means my card hadn't been activated for printing. Joy. Log into the computer next to me in my student account after emailing the documents to myself off the desktop. Oh joy. This computer doesn't have Reader on it. And we are blocked from admin access for installation obviously. Jump to the computer on the otherside. Oh. Monitor is buggered, no dice. Had to move down to the next row of computers to print the damn documents out. Also printing one b&w page is 6c. The default is to print double sided to save paper (although every lecturer tells you to print single sided, with 1.5 spacing of course). Double sided printing costs 11c. So you save 0.5c per page for the annoyance of having to turn the paper over.
/end rant
probably to be continued with more adventures at uni

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I seem to have wacky feet, they roll out and I need a insole for extra cushioning.

I tried on a pair of merrels in 9 with the insole and it was super tight, are shoes meant to be? I'm so used to my shoes being lose and crappy that I don't know how a shoe is meant to feel. Expensive too as you would expect, but I did get to stand on the athletes foot machine woo. I tried Brooks on as well and they seemed like they could have been nicer but didn't look as cool. Could have been the shoe lace technique.

Might have a ponder and go buy a jacket and bag then pick up some shoes. I'm in a fuck it mood, let's buy stuff since my feet are killing me with these runners.

Why am I so bad at buying things. Wtb hot femalewho gives me a false sense of worth when it comes to shopping.

evlcookie said:
I seem to have wacky feet, they roll out and I need a insole for extra cushioning.

I tried on a pair of merrels in 9 with the insole and it was super tight, are shoes meant to be? I'm so used to my shoes being lose and crappy that I don't know how a shoe is meant to feel. Expensive too as you would expect, but I did get to stand on the athletes foot machine woo. I tried Brooks on as well and they seemed like they could have been nicer but didn't look as cool. Could have been the shoe lace technique.

Might have a ponder and go buy a jacket and bag then pick up some shoes. I'm in a fuck it mood, let's buy stuff since my feet are killing me with these runners.

Why am I so bad at buying things. Wtb hot femalewho gives me a false sense of worth when it comes to shopping.
I love Merrels walking shoes. I've used them on holidays where I walk 15-20km in a day and though my feet do hurt at the end of it, I find that my feet hurt if I walk 2km in my Chucks... I find the Merrels incredibly comfortable for extended use.

The ones I have at the moment have a neoprene "sock" which makes them fit very snug, but normally should be a little bit of wiggle room. Best to 1) get shoes at the end of the day when they've expanded after lots of walking and 2) wear the socks you'll wear with the shoes when you're trying them on.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Australian Accent patch!
I wish. The Kinectimals demo said that it didn't have speech support because of my country/region :/

Oh, to add insult to injury, I bought that caramel mousse or whatever. Severely overrated.

You guys want nice chocolate? Look for Valrhona single estate. Easy to find and incredible.

In Melbourne, can be found at Monseur Truffe in Collingwood.

Jintor

yeah, she`s freelancing writing, so no secure income. think she might be going back for teaching jobs, since that`s what she`s traned in. as to what she was doing to miss appointments... didn`t ask.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Where the heck can I buy a bag from, finding a good one is hard. I thought I had found one but the strap is a little short :/

Salazar

Jintor said:
yeah, she`s freelancing writing, so no secure income. think she might be going back for teaching jobs, since that`s what she`s traned in. as to what she was doing to miss appointments... didn`t ask.

Aww man. Been there.

Still there, in a sense, but now with university funding as a buoyancy device.

Top Bottom