• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Madrical

Banned
Discovered something pretty funny:

153257_detail_v2.jpg

Infamous 2: Hero Edition is $188 at EB Games Australia. The normal and special editions are $98, at EB Games again.

Jump to Gamestop, which owns EB Games I believe, and it's $99.99 for the Hero Edition of inFamous 2. At our current rate, that is $94.57 AUD.

So, not including postage, it's cheaper to get the Hero Edition from the US, rather than buying the retail standard edition at EB Games.

Wut?

EDIT: Any good online stores based in the US that would have this price/product? Not paying $188 for Hero edition but if I can nab it for ~$120 inc. postage I'd be pretty happy.

Arozay

3chopl0x said:
Just when I'm downloading The Witcher 2 I start getting power failures in my suburb :(
Was getting bad download speeds for mine till I turned off a Steam IP filter thing I turned on ages ago and forgot (don't need now with 300gb cap). Sitting at around 900kb now, still nowhere near max though.

Echoplx

Zaro said:
Was getting bad download speeds for mine till I turned off a Steam IP filter thing I turned on ages ago and forgot (don't need now with 300gb cap). Sitting at around 900kb now, still nowhere near max though.

300kb/s here on TPG unlimited, I usually get 1mb/s which is max for my sync speed.

Fredescu said:
Mega, you get a free game if you buy two, so they're $12.66 each. Also Crysis is the maximum edition, making it $12.66 retail vs $30 on Steam.

oh damn. then it's well worth it. get on that suckasssssssssss crytek need your dollars to make watered down pc games

Clipper

Madrical said:
Discovered something pretty funny:

153257_detail_v2.jpg

Infamous 2: Hero Edition is $188 at EB Games Australia. The normal and special editions are $98, at EB Games again.

Jump to Gamestop, which owns EB Games I believe, and it's $99.99 for the Hero Edition of inFamous 2. At our current rate, that is $94.57 AUD.

So, not including postage, it's cheaper to get the Hero Edition from the US, rather than buying the retail standard edition at EB Games.

Wut?

EDIT: Any good online stores based in the US that would have this price/product? Not paying $188 for Hero edition but if I can nab it for ~$120 inc. postage I'd be pretty happy.
I'm currently thinking of buying through Amazon and shipping to one of the places in the US that ships to you. I've used HopShopGo a few times in the past, but MK has shown me that the shipping would be expensive on something like the Hero Edition. Thus, I'm comparing Shipito and PriceUSA, two more sites that provide the same service, to see which is better...

Alternatively, I may just ship to a friend in the States and have them ship to me.

Witcher 2 is glorious.

Played about 4 hours worth last night, and only just finished the prologue/tutorial section. Even on normal difficulty setting I died often. So nice to have to stop and think strategically about combat, especially after Dragon Age 2.

And the game is pretty! Oh so pretty. Only problem is I'm on about 4 hours sleep and have 8 hours of work ahead of me :(

Played a bit of AssBro multiplayer last night. It's exactly as I remembered it. Exhilarating in short bursts, annoying for extended periods of time and the matchfinding is pathetic.

BanShunsaku said:
Witcher 2 is glorious.

Played about 4 hours worth last night, and only just finished the prologue/tutorial section. Even on normal difficulty setting I died often. So nice to have to stop and think strategically about combat, especially after Dragon Age 2.

And the game is pretty! Oh so pretty. Only problem is I'm on about 4 hours sleep and have 8 hours of work ahead of me :(

Sigh, so i caved. id rather put my hand in a blender than play TW1 but ive been assured by a mate that TW2 is amazing and i will like it. so the purchase has been made.

i want to like it, but hes totally refunding me if its sh*t......

Bernbaum

So here’s the custom snack mix that’s got me in a happy place right now. It’s Coles’ ‘Party Mix’ with some Californian Walnuts chucked in.

Nothing in there I don’t like, and it’s got all my favourites. Pretty good soft/crunchy ratio too. I found with other nut mixes that I’d be picking out favourites and there’d be a bunch of unpalatable junk left over. With this mix, I’m guaranteed a smile with every handful.

2duchon.jpg

We’re looking at:

Sultanas, Dried Pear, Dried Apricot, Coconut Cubes, Almonds, Yoghurt Covered-Raisins and yes, our dear friend the Cashew. Not sure how I’d improve on this, maybe chuck some dried apple in there.

Darklord

Banned
Why does LA Noire and The Witcher 2 have to come out at the same time? Why do games do this?! It's like there is nothing for weeks then Mortal Kombat and Portal 2 both released, then nothing for a few weeks then The Witcher 2 and LA Noire released. I can't play both at the same time, it's too much! They're too big.

19th, thats... tomorrow. Fuck, I want to just stick to the Witcher but I know I won't be able to resist picking it up.

I'm my own worst enemy :(

Any chance it will break and come out today? I was planning on going to JB in my lunch break...

Darklord said:
Why does LA Noire and The Witcher 2 have to come out at the same time? Why do games do this?! It's like there is nothing for weeks then Mortal Kombat and Portal 2 both released, then nothing for a few weeks then The Witcher 2 and LA Noire released. I can't play both at the same time, it's too much! They're too big.

I had the exact same issue last year when Red Dead and Alan Wake came one day after the other. Two of my most anticipated games of the year out in the same week. Boourns.

Clipper

Given that I'm importing so much of my stuff, I actually like it when things I want come out together. I can save a ton on shipping.

MrSerrels

BanShunsaku said:
19th, thats... tomorrow. Fuck, I want to just stick to the Witcher but I know I won't be able to resist picking it up.

I'm my own worst enemy :(

Any chance it will break and come out today? I was planning on going to JB in my lunch break...

I had the exact same issue last year when Red Dead and Alan Wake came one day after the other. Two of my most anticipated games of the year out in the same week. Boourns.

Awesome games coming out in tandem has stopped me finishing games I really enjoyed.

Red Dead stopped me from finishing Alan Wake.
Twilight Princess dragged me away from Okami.

MrSerrels said:
Awesome games coming out in tandem has stopped me finishing games I really enjoyed.

Red Dead stopped me from finishing Alan Wake.
Twilight Princess dragged me away from Okami.

This! And I still haven't finished it a year later :(

Danoss

I started playing The Witcher (1) the other day. I'm in Act 2, have no idea what I was doing and am totally lost. I can't be bothered starting over for the 3rd time and I want to finish it before jumping into The Witcher 2. *sigh*

I burned through a bit over 100 pages of A Game of Thrones yesterday and am enjoying it. I know I have barely scratched the surface, but I'm intrigued and excited for what's coming up.

Bernbaum

With a few more creative ideas thrown in, Alan Wake could have been great. Core mechanics were fine, atmosphere was great, story was suitably cheesy, it just needed a little something more.

There was more in the few extra hours of DLC than there was in the core game.

Bernbaum

Decided on the PS3 version of LA Noire.

New dillema - pre-order from JB today so I can get the pickup the bonus DLC tomorrow, or just import the bastard and buy all the DLC and hope it comes in at under local price?

Are all the DLC cases available from launch?

Fredescu

Danoss said:
I started playing The Witcher (1) the other day. I'm in Act 2, have no idea what I was doing and am totally lost. I can't be bothered starting over for the 3rd time and I want to finish it before jumping into The Witcher 2. *sigh*
Have you tried the Witcher wiki? Pop into Steam chat if you want a hand with it. I've finished it a couple of times.

Choc

Banned
Bernbaum said:
Decided on the PS3 version of LA Noire.

New dillema - pre-order from JB today so I can get the pickup the bonus DLC tomorrow, or just import the bastard and buy all the DLC and hope it comes in at under local price?

Are all the DLC cases available from launch?

if red dead is any indication it may take up to 12 months

RDR preorder dlc wasnt up for 12 months

Danoss

Fredescu said:
Have you tried the Witcher wiki? Pop into Steam chat if you want a hand with it. I've finished it a couple of times.
Thanks man, I'll probably bug you later about it. I tried The Witcher Wiki, but what I was up to, I thought was explained poorly. I just need a hand getting a couple of chains done and I should be back on my own feet again.

I do want to finish A Game of Thrones (a new distraction) first and then I'll be right into it.

Clipper

Omi said:
Is it a full game without the DLC?
Yes, there's something like 21 cases within the main game and each retailer has a selection of only one or two of the several bonus cases or items that are available.

Salazar

Agyar said:
Sounds all happy and cheerful until you realise what's being proposed is legal pluralism and the complete unravelling of centuries of work diminishing the legal authority of religious organisations in favour of common Law.

Eh, je pense non.

Jintor

Agyar said:
Sounds all happy and cheerful until you realise what's being proposed is legal pluralism and the complete unravelling of centuries of work diminishing the legal authority of religious organisations in favour of common Law.

+1

Salazar

Agyar said:
Ok, I guess you refuted my point fairly soundly with a bit of French so we can move on.

Not a refutation so much as a difference of judgement: you forecast a complete unravelling, whereas I do not.

We can indeed move on.

Agyar said:
Ok, I guess you refuted my point fairly soundly with a bit of French so we can move on.
Sharia Law being applied in the private lives of Australian muslims carries about the same weight as Canon Law does for Catholics. The outcomes of any rulings etc. aren't recognised by state or federal courts, the police or anyone with any real power, so it means nothing.

But by all means, freak out and predict the collapse of Western Civilisation if you need to.

Danoss

Agyar said:
Unfortunately, it cannot be stopped as it it a part of their culture. If they sought help from the Australian justice system before consulting a Sheik for religious advice on the matter, they are going against the grain of their religion. It is just the way things work for them. Religion is their law.

There are two main ways this is looked upon.

1. Let them go and do what they like as long as they aren't hurting anyone or breaking any laws.

2. If you let them do this when it goes against what Australian society is built on, it could get out of hand by snowballing into a larger problem.

I think it is 1 at present, plain and simple. The reverse is allowed when people get married in a church. They are married in the eyes of god and then sign a marriage certificate. This is the opposite happening, where they seek release from the shackles of marriage by their religion before they agree to it in the eyes of the law.

If it branches out and is stepping on the toes of the legal/judicial system, then it's worth talking about.

Danoss said:
Unfortunately, it cannot be stopped as it it a part of their culture. If they sought help from the Australian justice system before consulting a Sheik for religious advice on the matter, they are going against the grain of their religion. It is just the way things work for them. Religion is their law.

There are two main ways this is looked upon.

1. Let them go and do what they like as long as they aren't hurting anyone or breaking any laws.

2. If you let them do this when it goes against what Australian society is built on, it could get out of hand by snowballing into a larger problem.

I think it is 1 at present, plain and simple. The reverse is allowed when people get married in a church. They are married in the eyes of god and then sign a marriage certificate. This is the opposite happening, where they seek release from the shackles of marriage by their religion before they agree to it in the eyes of the law.

If it branches out and is stepping on the toes of the legal/judicial system, then it's worth talking about.
Pretty much. I don't know about these days, but there was a time when a Catholic who wanted to marry a non-Catholic either had to have their partner baptised into the Catholic Church, or the Church would not recognise the marriage. I know people who have been excommunicated for just this reason (they're much older, though).

Top Bottom