• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Jintor said:
those are som well thought out narrative v design ideas you got there, buddy.
Don't even get me started on how out-of-place the Stranger and Ambient Missions are. In a game where the quicker John reaches his goal the quicker he
can get back to his family (I'm not sure if this is spoiler worthy)
the game seems to provide situations and goals that are at constantly at odds with that.

If I had what was at stake I would not be riding across the country 15 times to supply some pillock with 6 Beaver Furs. I would not scour the land in search of 12 Crapwillow flowers. I am not going to support your idea that picking herbs is a competitive sport. So much of the game actively contradicts the narrative use of time-is-of-the-essence as a means of adding drama.

It's a really weird game design.

Planet_JASE said:
What made john's situation unacceptable for me was that he has spent the whole time telling people what a badass he was and that if they don't give him what he wants after this mission he'll make them sorry for stringing him around. And then he does another mission for them.
This was probably my biggest problem with the game. The supporting characters were great, their individual storylines in isolation were pretty good and the locales and big set pieces were fantastic.

But there really wasn't enough of a main story to hold everything together, and it was way too drawn out. I get the point that John needed something from all these people and had to do their will, but by God if they didn't all string him along longer than any man in his position would accept. I don't know if I would prefer a shorter story
and more for Jack to do instead in free roam
or more depth to it, but it definitely missed the mark.

That said, if you can get all the way to the real ending, it's still worth it. And I enjoyed the stranger and random missions, because they were unexpected. Not that they integrated into the story well -- but it is a game...

Jintor said:
just got back from an la noire event. pretty rad. skipped getting a copy because to do so would be kindof dickish
Next time you feel that way, take it as a prize for AusGAF in a competition which AusGAFfers have to do increasingly embarrassing things in order to win.

Damn, I don't know what to do. Should I get Civ5 from Ozgameshop for $21 or get Crysis from Steam for $15? I want to test out my computer, so maybe Crysis?

Shaneus

codswallop said:
That said, if you can get all the way to the real ending, it's still worth it. And I enjoyed the stranger and random missions, because they were unexpected. Not that they integrated into the story well -- but it is a game...
Real ending... is that something you reach by doing more than just the main story and quests? If I have to fucking gather herbs to see it, then I'm not ever going to see it.

Shaneus said:
Real ending... is that something you reach by doing more than just the main story and quests? If I have to fucking gather herbs to see it, then I'm not ever going to see it.
Not going to spoil it, but no it's not due to side quests. When if feels like the game has finished, there's another hour or two of story content there (that initially seems quite dull but actually fleshes out the characters and relationships a bit) which gives you the good ending.

Basically, if the credits haven't rolled, you haven't finished it.

Gazunta said:
Buy Civ 5 and download some tech demo to test your computer with and then play Civ 5 every day until you die.

Sounds like a plan. Any suggestions for what Demo I should try? I was thinking Bulletstorm seeing as it is new.

Also should I get Virus protection on the Windows side? I'm only using it for Steam really.

Edit: Downloading Bulletstorm demo. Steam is maxing out my net connection, why haven't I been doing this sooner?

Gazunta

Get Microsoft Security Essentials and you're set.

OK, I'm in work today after taking time off sick yesterday, place your bets until how long its is until I regret this decision.

Gazunta said:
Get Microsoft Security Essentials and you're set.

OK, I'm in work today after taking time off sick yesterday, place your bets until how long its is until I regret this decision.

I think ull be over it by 10:30

EDIT: Also, yay member status!

Whenever I think I am ready to come back to work after being sick, it usually means I need one more day off. Can be hard to do some times but you always feel better for it!

In other news, the Witcher 2 is easily an early contender for my GOTY. I spent about 2 hours last night just exploring the world and didn't complete a single quest. I can't remember the last time a game environment has been so detailed and beautiful and fun to explore.

/gushing

Bernbaum

Happy LA Noire day.

Two weeks ago, I knew nothing about the game except for title and the 'sandbox' part. Today, I can't go out for a coffee without seeing a fazillion ads for the thing. I hope the almost guaranteed success of the title at retail does good things for Team Bondi and good things for the local development industry.

ada2c9fd.jpg

Rahk

codswallop said:
Not going to spoil it, but no it's not due to side quests. When if feels like the game has finished, there's another hour or two of story content there (that initially seems quite dull but actually fleshes out the characters and relationships a bit) which gives you the good ending.

Basically, if the credits haven't rolled, you haven't finished it.
Isn't that after the credits?

Unless you're talking about something else.

Damn it, my hype for LA Noire is reaching fever pitch.

I'm going to try my hardest to avoid shops for the next couple of weeks until I finish Witcher 2.

Fucking hell, I want both. I'm such a child when it comes to games!

Choc

Banned
Shaneus said:

are we talking RDR?

the real ending is so worth it

Gazunta said:
Everyone who wants to make something creative should read this.

(Yes a lot of it is written about comics, but it applies to any creative output)
That was awesome. Some days I can't beleive that I'm letting potential talent waste by not drawing. I know I have some talent, in that I'm above the average person's level of drawing but for some reason I'm scared at letting myself explore how much potential I have and how far it could take me. The worst thing that could happen is that I wouldn't have to work at my crappy job that I don't enjoy any longer.

Shouldn't that be reason enough to try?

Thanks for posting that, Gaz. Really, thank you.

Shaneus

Planet_JASE said:
That was awesome. Some days I can't beleive that I'm letting potential talent waste by not drawing. I know I have some talent, in that I'm above the average person's level of drawing but for some reason I'm scared at letting myself explore how much potential I have and how far it could take me. The worst thing that could happen is that I wouldn't have to work at my crappy job that I don't enjoy any longer.

Shouldn't that be reason enough to try?

Thanks for posting that, Gaz. Really, thank you.
As someone who's trying (nowhere near enough, though) to get into creating music, that article truly inspired. Thanks from over here too, Gaz.

r1chard

Shaneus said:
As someone who's trying (nowhere near enough, though) to get into creating music, that article truly inspired. Thanks from over here too, Gaz.
Similarly I make video games as a hobby. A lot of the advice in that article is quite relevant. Great stuff.

Sutton Dagger said:
Any AusGAF tried Dolphin emulator. Seriously, Wind Waker looks better than any 360/PS3 game... I'm blown away.

I have. Played through a bit of Wind Waker, amazing visuals at >720p. Couldn't bring myself to play through yet another Zelda.

The biggest hurdle I think I need to overcome is making the effort to be critical of my own work instead of negative. Being able to self evaluate the merits of my own work is essential to helping my skills grow and develop. Without being able to see the areas of improvement avilable to me I would stagnate artistically.

The issue with this is that I need to take the negative connotations of my own self evalutations. Replace the "that arm/head/leg/pose sucks" with "that was awesome but could have been awesomerer if I had ________".

In my head I know it's a simple mindset change except that my art sucks and will never be good.

Choc

Banned
According to reports on Nyleveia.com, Eurogamer, and NeoGAF, Sony’s PlayStation Network password reset system-the one just put in place after the PSN hack-has been compromised, allowing hackers to change a PSN password if they know your email and date of birth. Exactly the sort of information that was released in the original hack.

Sony has taken the password reset system offline. Kotaku has reached out to Sony for comment.

so who was it that says lightning doesn't strike twice?

get your shit off psn, now.

Omikron

Choc said:
According to reports on Nyleveia.com, Eurogamer, and NeoGAF, Sony’s PlayStation Network password reset system-the one just put in place after the PSN hack-has been compromised, allowing hackers to change a PSN password if they know your email and date of birth. Exactly the sort of information that was released in the original hack.

Sony has taken the password reset system offline. Kotaku has reached out to Sony for comment.

Surprise. Rushed rebuild has major, simple, security issues.

Clipper

Choc said:

It wasn't hacked, the vulnerability was discovered by someone who immediately told Sony and it was quickly replaced. Yes, it could have been another disaster, but thankfully there is nothing to worry about.

From the sounds I'm hearing, the guy in the stall next to me has some crazy wiping technique I've never heard of.

I
hope he isn't sticking his finger in.

Update, he just flushed 6 times.

MrSerrels

If the mainstream media jump on this second breach, Sony are in bother. It's a small one, and they've fixed it - but jeeze man...

This just can't get any worse for Sony.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
MrSerrels said:
If the mainstream media jump on this second breach, Sony are in bother. It's a small one, and they've fixed it - but jeeze man...

This just can't get any worse for Sony.

If it's not all up by E3, oh boy.

On to the third case in LA Noire. I am impressed.

It's been a while since we had an Australian-made console game with any ambition. I'm glad they pulled this off.

lazy does not mix well with ambition. Neither do games with birds

Ok so Bulletstorm was running at full 30fps in native res with everything set to High. If I add AA it does start to take a framerate hit. It seriously looked incredible. This isn't even a gaming machine and it smokes the 360/PS3, I think I may end up being a full PC convert when I build a gaming PC in a couple of years.

Downloading Crysis now :)

Fredescu

Did the early episodes always get 2 million+? I got the impression that after the first few episodes it dipped and then picked up in popularity as the number of contestants reduced. I think people get interested in it when they can watch the personalities and styles of the individuals, but when there are too many contestants that gets watered down and people can't follow their "favourite" or whatever. I don't know.

Top Bottom