• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

senahorse

codswallop said:
Official release for LA Noire is 20th May but apparently it's been pushed up. Either way it's being sold.

I tried to buy it from wow sight and sound on the way home and they wouldn't budge.

markot

Banned
They really need to change the name of that store >_<

And the ads and the whole branding, kinda seems like a throwback to 'Clint's Crazy Bargains!'

*shudders*

Woo! Going in for my interview for my new job tomorrow, he just wants to make sure I'm not a moron before putting me on. Thankfully everyone at work have been putting in the good word for me so I effectively walk into the job without much effort. Also means the end of my mega-quoting as I will be able to browse gaf at work so enjoy this last, giant post. Fiancée cooked up teriyaki chicken and chicken & avocado sushi rolls. Went down a treat.

Planet_JASE said:
This is RDR in a nutshell. Marsten spends all of his time serving the interests and agendas of those around him. The first act of the game should be subtitled "John is a dirty bitch that likes to be used. Find an unattended orifice and have at it". Mexico, while not that much better, is when John starts to find his voice for his dislike for his situation. Sure, it doesn't stop him from killing people that he doesn't want - and shouldn't, quite frankly - kill or turn a blind eye to the actions of others. But he does everyone's bidding because he has a goal and that's what he needs to do.
The part that has made me frustrated with the game is that I never really understood why he needed to be subjugated by every person in that game. You start off the game by meeting your goals head-on, which doesn't work; but that was because the plan was stupid, not because you didn't have a rag-tag band of characters to help you. In fact, by the middle of the first act, I think I had enough money accumulated that I could have put a $15000 bounty on their heads and had every law man and bounty hunter going after them. I just didn't buy that the hoops that he had to go through we justified or even necessary.
You, my friend, have hit on the ENTIRE theme of RDR. Anyone who hasn't finished the game don't read my spoilers. Marsten gets pulled out of his quiet second life, his family held ransom, to go and destroy the remnants of his old life. RDR is set at the end of the wild old west, cowboys are a relic of the past and government agents are stamping their authority on the country. Marsten thinks he can just walk up to his old friend Dutch and turn him in to the government, while Dutch has already come to terms with the fact that their is no place in America for an old outlaw like him. Rather than turn himself in and hope for a chance at rehabilitation he decides to live the rest of his life the way he wants.
Marsten already left that life behind once to try and raise a family, living an honest life. He wants to believe that he can go back to that dream, that it really can exist. Once cornered Dutch would rather kill himself than be a part of the new America. He has tried to convince Marsten that he will never be allowed to exist. His existence is contradictory to how the government wants to run the new America. Past misdeeds cannot go unpunished.
The game is centred around change. Everyone looks to Marsten as someone who might be able to help them change the situation they are stuck in. He has a reputation from his days as an outlaw, is still alive and most importantly is desperate. He is focused solely on taking down Dutch and getting his family back. Mexico dawdled along but the idea behind its inclusion is sound. They just didn't play test it enough to see how dry and dull a revolution they had created. It has been a while since I finished the game but the lingering feeling was that the world had changed to such a point that Marsten didn't really know what he was doing, he was in an alien society just trying to get back to the comfort of his home.
Once he had returned home and tried to live what he believed to be a normal life it was shattered by the return of Ross. Marsten finally accepted that a relic of the old west like him would never be accepted in the new America they were trying to forge and sent his family away in the hope that they could disappear from that life. Even Ross himself says to Jack that his father killed himself by choosing the life he did. Finally by killing Ross, Jack had become no different to his father. Marsten wanted Jack to never have to kill another man, and sacrificed himself in the end in the hope that Jack could follow a different path. Just out of interest how many people shot Ross's wife after questioning her? How many people didn't want to do the final quest and just finish the side missions without killing Ross?
I really enjoyed the story because I can see parallels with some things that are currently going on in the world. People who fight against change because they feel they wouldn't have a place in the new society, stuff like this is probably exacerbated by globalisation rather than anything else.

Shaneus said:
Real ending... is that something you reach by doing more than just the main story and quests? If I have to fucking gather herbs to see it, then I'm not ever going to see it.
Planet_JASE said:
If I had what was at stake I would not be riding across the country 15 times to supply some pillock with 6 Beaver Furs. I would not scour the land in search of 12 Crapwillow flowers. I am not going to support your idea that picking herbs is a competitive sport. So much of the game actively contradicts the narrative use of time-is-of-the-essence as a means of adding drama..
The problem here is that you don't have to do it. Marsten doesn't remark that he wants to go pick some plants for some random dude. The choice to do all the ambient stuff in the world is up to the player. It isn't a requirement to do all the challenges to make it to the final credits. You have to do a few menial tasks to gain the favour of a few people who will help Marsten get what he wants but nothing more. Most of the time is spent killing their enemies to get them further in life.

Sutton Dagger said:
Damn, I don't know what to do. Should I get Civ5 from Ozgameshop for $21 or get Crysis from Steam for $15? I want to test out my computer, so maybe Crysis?
Sounds like Civ4 is prefered to Civ5 but maybe that has changed since it has been out for a while now. Also I would wait for Crysis to go on sale again, it was only $3 during the recent EA sale. Crysis 2 is really worth picking up too, although it is still $44 on OzGameShop. The Witcher 2 looks stunning, look into the Anno series too.

Gazunta said:
Get Microsoft Security Essentials and you're set.
Checkout Malwarebytes as that is another one I hear recommended all the time. So much happier now that I use MSE, uses less memory and is a lot less annoying.

Sutton Dagger said:
Any AusGAF tried Dolphin emulator. Seriously, Wind Waker looks better than any 360/PS3 game... I'm blown away.
Love Dolphin, I traded my Wii in 12 months ago and I still buy games just to play on Dolphin. Check out the GAF thread or even just google the game to find preferences to run different games better.

Choc said:
ot serrels but the useless twats commenting on there who are sony fanboys, have no idea how big this breach really is and why identity theft is something they should be very scared about (sony or otherwise) in this day and age
Kotaku originally had a bunch of great commentors too, only lasted about 2 years though before it gave way to the usual GameFAQ's shit that you get on every site. I don't even bother reading the comments on RPS anymore.

Cohsae said:
If you've already listened to GFW Radio then you've already listened to the only other gaming podcast that I ever thought was worth my time.
I agree with is opinion. Plenty of other decent podcasts around but none that I have enjoyed 10% as much as GFW and Idle Thumbs.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm generally pretty cynical when it comes to R*'s PR strategies, but man, LA Noire is tempting. I think I'll buy it tomorrow.

Rahk

Damn, Terraria was the fourth most played game on Steam today at 28.5k, behind CS, CS:S and MW2.

Speaking of, did anyone buy a 4 pack and are selling a copy?

Rezbit

Did the first few missions of LA Noire (seems to be more tutorial stuff at this stage, without explicitly saying so - me like). Will engage me.

Cohsae

Rahk said:
Damn, Terraria was the fourth most played game on Steam today at 28.5k, behind CS, CS:S and MW2.

Speaking of, did anyone buy a 4 pack and are selling a copy?
I bought a 1 pack and YOU CAN'T HAVE IT.
Enjoying it a lot more than Minecraft, mainly because it doesn't rely on me being creative in order for me to be entertained.

Jintor said:
Where you working scorps?
Deakin Uni, moving into administration for a science faculty even though I study Commerce. Just down the corridor from the IT school though so I plan on hitting up the dev labs to use their fancy expensive computers. It's funny because my best mate graduated with a Commerce degree, got a job as a felt engineer for Huyck flying around the world checking production lines, since it got shut down he is now a manager at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Torquay. Aside from accountants, everyone else hasn't used their degree. Once I've finished my degree I plan on transitioning into Marketing here, it is a sweet setup at Deakin. Once you are in, you have it made for life.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Deakin Uni, moving into administration for a science faculty even though I study Commerce. Just down the corridor from the IT school though so I plan on hitting up the dev labs to use their fancy expensive computers. It's funny because my best mate graduated with a Commerce degree, got a job as a felt engineer for Huyck flying around the world checking production lines, since it got shut down he is now a manager at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Torquay. Aside from accountants, everyone else hasn't used their degree. Once I've finished my degree I plan on transitioning into Marketing here, it is a sweet setup at Deakin. Once you are in, you have it made for life.
If you see a guy running around patching network cables and doing cabley-type stuff, it's probably my brother who's doing work out at the 'Ponds ATM.

Are you Waurn Ponds or in the city?

Shaneus said:
If you see a guy running around patching network cables and doing cabley-type stuff, it's probably my brother who's doing work out at the 'Ponds ATM.

Are you Waurn Ponds or in the city?
Ponds, would love to work in at Waterfront for the great views and great views but most of the jobs are out there. I get along pretty well with some of the IT guys but they are mostly installers or admin. How old is your brother? Any distinguishing features? It is surprising how many people work at Deakin that I actually know. Degrees of separation and all that jazz, I know.

Shaneus

He's not an actual employee, the company he works for (Geelong Telephone Company) are upgrading the switches out there. Nothing really distinguishing, other than his GTC shirt and he's a really nice dude.

Shaneus said:
He's not an actual employee, the company he works for (Geelong Telephone Company) are upgrading the switches out there. Nothing really distinguishing, other than his GTC shirt and he's a really nice dude.
Ah those GTC guys have been hanging around uni for ages now. Wondered what they were actually doing. It is INSANE the amount of contractors floating around all the time. 3 construction sites going at the moment and 3 smaller construction projects have been finished in the last 6 months. The sure do like spending money. I especially like the 6 story building in town that has only had a floor and a half used. And the fact they are building a new giant structure at Waurn Pond which that those offices will be moved into. Le sigh.

Shaneus

Yeah, he's mentioned to me how much some of the switches and other networking equipment are worth... absolutely ridiculous. Poor bastard's been working out there on weekends and nights as well. He must be swimming in money (always gifting me random shit on Steam for no reason) but is definitely suffering for it.

Shaneus said:
Yeah, he's mentioned to me how much some of the switches and other networking equipment are worth... absolutely ridiculous. Poor bastard's been working out there on weekends and nights as well. He must be swimming in money (always gifting me random shit on Steam for no reason) but is definitely suffering for it.
Weekends? Man most of the people at Deakin barely work on Friday let along the weekend. Even the library is only open from 1pm to 5pm on weekends. Shut at night too. His boss must be pushing him hard as contracting for Deakin is a cushy gig, one of the electricians spends half his time in the common room watching NBA or NFL. They pay really well and it is really hard to get fired/in trouble.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Weekends? Man most of the people at Deakin barely work on Friday let along the weekend. Even the library is only open from 1pm to 5pm on weekends. Shut at night too. His boss must be pushing him hard as contracting for Deakin is a cushy gig, one of the electricians spends half his time in the common room watching NBA or NFL. They pay really well and it is really hard to get fired/in trouble.
I think (as is my understanding) that because it's network stuff that essentially brings entire areas down at a time, it has to be done when there's next to no-one there.

Salazar

Bernbaum said:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

I can drive to the place where the hotel was where I stayed for E3 in LA Noire!

LIFE IS WEIRD

I could almost paddle to the beach in front of my house in Transworld Surf.

But then a shark would eat me.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Got LA Noire for $48 at GAME, traded in Dead Space 2. Now to find time to place it!

Clipper

BanShunsaku said:
So the world ends tomorrow apparently. I guess I have no choice but to buy LA Noire today.
Nah, it's a rapture prediction. The same prediction says that the world won't actually end until October 21. And it also seems it's going to happen at 6pm in each timezone, so at least we get it first ;).

So I just fired up Crysis, and all the character models aren't appearing. I can see the backgrounds (I'm flying over the island in a plane I assume), but not characters are appearing. I even changed the settings to the lowest possible so it isn't the computer struggling to render them (I think). Any ideas?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Are you in dx9 or dx10 mode? 32 or 64bit? Make sure directx is updated as well.

Wasn't there a backlash against civ5? That it wasn't all that great, the support was terrible etc?

I celebrated LA Noire's release by buying it yesterday, installing it, playing it for 45 minutes, then returning to my replay of the latter stages of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. will get back on LA Noire over the weekend.

Ydahs

Sutton Dagger said:
So I just fired up Crysis, and all the character models aren't appearing. I can see the backgrounds (I'm flying over the island in a plane I assume), but not characters are appearing. I even changed the settings to the lowest possible so it isn't the computer struggling to render them (I think). Any ideas?
Try it in non fullscreen and switch between dx9 and dx10.

This game gave me hell trying to setup, mainly due to me have a 64-bit PC

evlcookie said:

Wasn't there a backlash against civ5? That it wasn't all that great, the support was terrible etc?

Not sure about dx9 or 10? It's Windows 64bit. I went to the AMD site and updated the drivers and that, hopefully that fixes it. It's also downloading a Crysis update through Steam as we speak, so that may be all it is. Will update you when I finish.

Ydahs said:
Try it in non fullscreen and switch between dx9 and dx10.

This game gave me hell trying to setup, mainly due to me have a 64-bit PC

It was in fullscreen mode so that might be the issue. Will try that once it is updated through Steam.

Bernbaum

ClivePwned said:
I celebrated LA Noire's release by buying it yesterday, installing it, playing it for 45 minutes, then returning to my replay of the latter stages of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. will get back on LA Noire over the weekend.
I don't know what I think of it yet. Completed what I believe are the 'tutorial' cases of the game (cleverly denoted by the regular police officer's uniform) and had a bit of a drive around. Viewed as an adventure game, the open world part, for now, seems redundant - why not just select a location from a map? There's a sense of separation between the player and the world they are exploring. 1940's LA all looks the same from the window seat with little to characterise each neighbourhood and apart from heavy traffic the streets aren't particularly lively.

There isn't any great punishment for ballsing up a case. Interviews can be re-tried and brute forced in order to succeed. The solution to certain 'puzzles' isn't always the cleverest, and there isn't the 'A-ha, Eureka!' moments like in Braid, Portal or traditional PnC games. There's also no middle ground when approaching interviews - the game demands a single correct answer in order to proceed, meaning you'll loop back to that moment if initially unsuccessful.

Within the confines of the tutorial, several elements are introduced that, at least in early stages of the game, don't gel together that well. Driving, gunplay, and foot chases all stand out as discrete gameplay 'moments' and don't transition into each other in a seamless manner.

The gunplay is the same as a lot of games you've already played. Phelps feels overpowered with his shotgun, but he also feels vulnerable so at least there's an element of tension at all stages of a shoot-out.

As a stylised narrative, however, the game is tip top. The best facial animations yet seen in a game make up for the technical short-fallings of the presentation and the dialogue is exceptionally well thought out. There's flashbacks and extensive sequences of banter on long drives and the writers have nailed the tone and atmosphere pretty damn well.

It's an adventure game, and the game is at its strongest when it sticks to that tune and not the sandbox component. What the game will really need to do to amaze me is to tie together the two parts of the game in an effective way and offer me more to do in the Los Angeles they've created.

evlcookie said:

This. if dx10 doesn't work, google to find out how to run it in dx9.

@gaz winnar :p

@shady it ran fine for me except dx10 fullscreen 1080p being blurry. Seemed to only support up to 1050 or something. played in windowed, got zero issues

Aon

Gazunta said:
I celebrated the release of L.A. Noire by installing a Neo Geo emulator on the Wii and playing through Nam 1975 with it.

Oh god I was playing the RANDOM GAME ON MAME game the other day and I played this for a bit and it was surprisingly fun for a weird and stupid thing.

I think it has the best intro of any game as well. So bizarre.

Agyar

Jintor said:
It was like a old timey Civ player backlash. People who just liked playing Civ didn't mind that much

There was some fairly broken AI stuff but a lot of that has been improved in patches. People just like to whinge after Civ 4 had a bzillion expansions, patches and whathaveyou to get the balance just right and Civ 5 wasn't like that out of the box.

Mar

Bernbaum said:
With a few more creative ideas thrown in, Alan Wake could have been great. Core mechanics were fine, atmosphere was great, story was suitably cheesy, it just needed a little something more.

There was more in the few extra hours of DLC than there was in the core game.

Couldn't agree more. In fact I said pretty much the same thing here, and here.

I didn't terribly enjoy the original game but the DLC was fantastic.

Dead Man said:
Bill Hunter 'gravely ill'

061734-bill-hunter.jpg

Dat eyebrow

Shaneus

I celebrated the release of L.A. Noire by playing The Michael Jackson Experience, then playing that marble game on XBLA that came out yonks ago.

Top Bottom