• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Choc

Banned
Kotaku AU is really fucking pissing me off recently

not serrels but the useless twats commenting on there who are sony fanboys, have no idea how big this breach really is and why identity theft is something they should be very scared about (sony or otherwise) in this day and age

fucking moronic kids

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not exaggerating when I say comments sections are, for all intents and purposes, invisible to me on websites. They never ping on my radar, I never read them. I don't know why anyone would.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
Kotaku AU is really fucking pissing me off recently

not serrels but the useless twats commenting on there who are sony fanboys, have no idea how big this breach really is and why identity theft is something they should be very scared about (sony or otherwise) in this day and age

fucking moronic kids

We have awesome commenters generally - but I've noticed a few idiots in there recently. This PSN thing really has had them flocking to the site.

I've definitely had to do a lot more moderating since this whole thing blew up.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Worst moderation time for me was during E3 2008, I just gave up.

The anger...

Oh yeah Serrels your emails are coming up as junk for me, mine coming through alright?

Dead Man

Rez said:
I'm not exaggerating when I say comments sections are, for all intents and purposes, invisible to me on websites. They never ping on my radar, I never read them. I don't know why anyone would.
Indeed.

Jintor

mind you, without comments sections we wouldn't have the incredible space opera/gaming media crossover mashup fanfiction that's currently going on in KotakuAU

Choc

Banned
Rez said:

i am usually the same but Kotaku AU generally has a good bunch of people just talking games

sony fanboys have invaded though

Idle Thumbs is over. During the last 5 or 6 weeks I may not have finished any games but I did listen to all 83 episodes totaling 103.5 hours.

And I beat them. I beat them all.

Now I need a new gaming podcast to fill the void. Any suggestions, collective intelligence of AusGAF?

Shaneus

Planet_JASE said:
Idle Thumbs is over. During the last 5 or 6 weeks I may not have finished any games but I did listen to all 83 episodes totaling 103.5 hours.

Now I need a new gaming podcast to fill the void. Any suggestions, collective intelligence of AusGAF?
Same. I only just finished them on Monday or Tuesday. Feels so weird to be listening to music on my iPhone again.

I think the Giant Bombcast is supposed to be good, but I've never listened to one.

"Shadow! Colossus! My office, now!"

legend166

Planet_JASE said:

Not gaming, but go download the entire Get This! catalogue.

Cohsae

Planet_JASE said:

If you've already listened to GFW Radio then you've already listened to the only other gaming podcast that I ever thought was worth my time.

Jintor

Well, my buddy Adam Ruch just got another thing posted on KotakuAU, so all the smart people seem to be congregating there or something.

/edit I don't know why but episodes 25-32 of the old series are down for me, so I'm starting from the beginning and working up. This show is so different without the established memes.

Oh my god the very beginning of THE WIZARRRRRRD

Rahk

Planet_JASE said:

Unfortunately there's nothing current at the quality near Idle Thumbs. :(

The only podcast I listen to these days is MBMBAM (My Brother, My Brother and Me), which isn't really gaming related.

Have you listened to GFW Radio?

Shaneus said:
Same. I only just finished them on Monday or Tuesday. Feels so weird to be listening to music on my iPhone again.

I think the Giant Bombcast is supposed to be good, but I've never listened to one.

"Shadow! Colossus! My office, now!"
I was nervous listing to the Conf Grenades for fear that they roll back down the hill and then explode...

I think I may have heard a Bombcast or two but they both seemed to focus on drinks for periods of time. It may just be a coincidence that both of them just contained this subject but it sort of turned me off of listening to more. I will give it a go if the general consensus is positive.

I've heard podcasts like Player One Podcast, Weekend Confirmed and Games, Dammit! mentioned around NeoGAF. Are any of these any good?

Choc

Banned
sorry for ripping this from Kotaku mark but seriously.......

truncheon
If someone specifically wants your personal details they can get them. The idea that you are protected from any evidence of your existence leaking out to the public seems ridiculous to me. The fear of identity fraud seems silly too. How much irreparable damage could someone do if I posted all my personal details online or on a billboard along a highway somewhere? People share every detail of their lives on Facebook and twitter without a second thought. If you really felt your details were so sacred you must think you are pretty special. The reality is no one cares about your BS.

Permalink Reply

Choc
May 19, 2011 at 2:15 PM
Ask Jeremy clarkson his answer to this. He thought it was a load of crap as well, put his full details and bank account in a UK newspaper and seven days later posted a massive retraction after tons of money was taken out and loans and various other things were taken out in his name

Pretty much the same as putting it on a billboard.

sums it all up really. The lack of knowledge in the public about how dangerous it can be is phenomenal.

legend166 said:
Not gaming, but go download the entire Get This! catalogue.
I shall seek it out. Thank you.

Cohsae said:
If you've already listened to GFW Radio then you've already listened to the only other gaming podcast that I ever thought was worth my time.
No, I haven't. It is well established that I don't play games on my computer (Heretic! Burn Him!!!) so is it very PC-centric? Or is there stuff in there for lowly console cretins?

Jintor said:
I don't know why but episodes 25-32 of the old series are down for me, so I'm starting from the beginning and working up. This show is so different without the established memes.

Oh my god the very beginning of THE WIZARRRRRRD
I beleive they're working on getting the missing episodes back onto the site. If it doesn't happen, I might be able to help you out. I'm not sure how, but I'm sure we can do something.

Rahk said:
Unfortunately there's nothing current at the quality near Idle Thumbs. :(

The only podcast I listen to these days is MBMBAM (My Brother, My Brother and Me), which isn't really gaming related.

Have you listened to GFW Radio?
That name is certainly unique. I haven't listened to GFW but if it's not that reliant on PC gaming I'll give it a go.

On a side note, I have a real issue with where to start long running podcasts, it seems. Do I go to the very beginning, and learn the various idiosyncrasies of the cast as they happen or do I jump in feet first with a fairly recent one and then work back if I find it enjoyable?

Shaneus

I'm glad I started at the start of Idle Thumbs. Great to hear how "scoops", "the wizard" and "video games" all came to be. I don't think other 'casts (into your face) have similar running jokes but I could be wrong.

Puffins!

PS. Where's the best place to get GFW Radio? I've looked on iTunes but there's only 7 or 8 episodes.

jambo

Bernbaum said:
Satisfaction is beating your personal trainer's bests at lifting weights. Shame I still look like a pie-eating council worker.

Shouldn't true satisfaction be beating your own personal bests each week? =P

Cohsae

GFW definitely has a bit of everything, I mean it was part of 1Up so it had it's share of the guys playing whatever the big new game was (which these days is usually on a console), but the guys themselves were mostly PC players so it works out quite a bit like Idle Thumbs where often they will bring up a random game and discuss it. I'd say it's a bit more focused towards the new releases at the time but whenever I've gone back to one it doesn't feel that dated.
The other similarity it had with Idle Thumbs was the hosts uncanny ability to make you laugh at something completely retarded, then following that up with some of the most intelligent discussion about video games that you'll hear.

Madrical

Banned
Megadrive said:
From the sounds I'm hearing, the guy in the stall next to me has some crazy wiping technique I've never heard of.

I
hope he isn't sticking his finger in.

Update, he just flushed 6 times.

Thanks dude, that update just made me spit Pepsi all over my keyboard at work. Everyone stared at me.

I haven't had this many games to play in probably over a year. I'm addicted to Terraria, I've played Witcher 2 for a mere 5 minutes, and I'm picking up LA Noire after work today.

Not to mention that I'm buying season 2 of Mad Men also, after finally enjoying season 1
(expect Peggy having the baby, that was random)
, downloading the whole series of Six Feet Under, and getting the first couple of seasons of Breaking Bad from a friend of mine.

Huzzah. Wish I had a free weekend soon.

Danoss

Okay, so I started raiding the Idle Thumbs archive and it is indeed borked. It seems that all podcasts they hosted on ShackNews have been deleted or moved. Either way, they are no longer obtainable. If anyone is able to help me get hold of these podcasts, I would be very grateful. There is quite a large gap it seems.

I am missing podcasts between 10/06/09 and 14/06/10 inclusive. This is basically episodes 30-50 of the original and 1-8 after their return, including 10 specials so 39 podcasts in all. :(

Danoss

I don't have anywhere with that amount of space to upload that all to, unfortunately. The best I can think of is uploading to a fresh Dropbox account (which is a lot of uploading on slow Aussie connections).

Unless you want to burn them on a disc and mail them to me?

Speaking of Podcasts (though not gaming podcasts), anyone else listen to We're Alive? It is an awesome Zombie podcast in the style of the old radio dramas, if you haven't listened to it, give it a go. The first couple of episodes may not do it for you, but by the end of the 3rd I was completely hooked.

Danoss

Sutton Dagger said:
Speaking of Podcasts (though not gaming podcasts), anyone else listen to We're Alive? It is an awesome Zombie podcast in the style of the old radio dramas, if you haven't listened to it, give it a go. The first couple of episodes may not do it for you, but by the end of the 3rd I was completely hooked.
I totally have Sutton, it's bloody awesome. Some of the voice acting is bad, but that can be easily overlooked.

I got up-to-date with it, waiting for them to produce the next episodes, but forgot exactly where that was. Thanks for reminding me of it, I'll go back and catch up from where I left off.

Rahk

Planet_JASE said:
No, I haven't. It is well established that I don't play games on my computer (Heretic! Burn Him!!!) so is it very PC-centric? Or is there stuff in there for lowly console cretins?

That name is certainly unique. I haven't listened to GFW but if it's not that reliant on PC gaming I'll give it a go.

On a side note, I have a real issue with where to start long running podcasts, it seems. Do I go to the very beginning, and learn the various idiosyncrasies of the cast as they happen or do I jump in feet first with a fairly recent one and then work back if I find it enjoyable?
I started listening to GFW Radio when all I had was a PC that could run Peggle and I still loved it. They primarily talk about PC games, but like Idle Thumbs it's entertaining even when they're talking about a game you've never played and never intend to play.

There's also a lot of off-topic talk which is hilarious and also talk about the game industry in general.

Not sure if I'd recommend starting from the beginning as they didn't find their stride until later on.

I don't remember a specific moment when it became 'good', but you can't go wrong with any episode from when the name changed from CGW to GFW.

I remember the first episode when Robert Ashley came on as a guest was gold, as well as pretty much every episode he has been on, so maybe start with one of those to see if you like it then go back. None of the games they talk about will be current anymore so it doesn't really matter where you begin.

Shaneus

Danoss said:
Okay, so I started raiding the Idle Thumbs archive and it is indeed borked. It seems that all podcasts they hosted on ShackNews have been deleted or moved. Either way, they are no longer obtainable. If anyone is able to help me get hold of these podcasts, I would be very grateful. There is quite a large gap it seems.

I am missing podcasts between 10/06/09 and 14/06/10 inclusive. This is basically episodes 30-50 of the original and 1-8 after their return, including 10 specials so 39 podcasts in all. :(
They're all on iTunes... at least, when I downloaded them on my iPhone a couple of months ago they were. I'd offer to upload some of them but uploads are counted on my home account :(

Fredescu

Megadrive said:
If you have a windows live account, you get 25gig of free space with SkyDrive.
It has a pretty low max file size though. 50MB or so? Some of the casts are bigger than that aren't they?

Danoss said:
I totally have Sutton, it's bloody awesome. Some of the voice acting is bad, but that can be easily overlooked.

I got up-to-date with it, waiting for them to produce the next episodes, but forgot exactly where that was. Thanks for reminding me of it, I'll go back and catch up from where I left off.

You probably listened up to the end of season 1, they had like a 6 month break after that. There are now heaps of episodes of season 2, definitely get back into it, such a great concept.

Danoss

Sutton Dagger said:
You probably listened up to the end of season 1, they had like a 6 month break after that. There are now heaps of episodes of season 2, definitely get back into it, such a great concept.
Yeah, after having a look, there has indeed been heaps of episodes since I last listened. I think the last episode I heard was #12 aka
The War

Downloading them now, thanks again for the reminder.

Danoss said:
Yeah, after having a look, there has indeed been heaps of episodes since I last listened. I think the last episode I heard was #12 aka
The War

Downloading them now, thanks again for the reminder.

No probs, give me an update on what you think after you have given the new episodes a listen.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It's not up yet, but will probably be tomorrow.

Jintor, the article goes up on Vooks and Kotaku - happens all the time. I do the Nintendo store updates every Friday for Kotaku AU.

It's getting really hard to write those when so much crap is coming out.

sjt333

I downloaded all of idlethumbs not long ago, two failed to download but I think they were UK podcasts.

My idlethumbs folder is 4gb so Dropbox is out.

Top Bottom