• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

jax (old)

Banned
Cut caffeine out a few months ago. Had excruciating withdrawal headaches for the first few days, but now it feels really good. It's a bit of a pain when it comes to selecting diet soft drinks at times, but the lack of jitters is worth it.

thought about cutting caffeine.. i go btw 5-6 shots of coffee a day - don't tend to drink caffienate softdrinks buts I've been thinking about it. Its hard though; get so sleepy during the day

thought about cutting caffeine.. i go btw 5-6 shots of coffee a day - don't tend to drink caffienate softdrinks buts I've been thinking about it. Its hard though; get so sleepy during the day

I was in the same boat for a while, once I cut out my work coffee I had a few exhausted days but now I don't have coffee at all and I feel fine during the day. Maybe try and supplant it with something that will distract your mind, like getting up and going for a walk/stretching or having some trail mix at your desk. I am throwing out ideas based on you working in an office as this has helped me lately. Your body will adapt quicker than you think. Exercise, sleep and a full range of foods help too of course.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You don't necessarily need a new player. Get yourself a Fiio E1, which is a headphone amp that gets the line-out audio from the base and pulls power from that port as well to power it as well. It has controls on there for playback, volume and next/prev track.

It's dirt cheap and will actually make it sound *better* than before. Just check it's compatible first. And it's only around $20 or so.

Perfect. I owe you a beer.

Use your smartphone? Since getting my Galaxy S2 I have just dumped a bunch of music on there and used Winamp. The standard Samsung headphones were actually really great quality before they got damaged to/from work. Much easier than carrying around an iPod and drag and drop is my kind of file system.

No smart phone for me!

Jintor

Argh, my brain still thinks I'm on a goddamn airplane. I guess 18 hours of flight will do that to you. Rrgh.

In for secret santa.

Choc

Banned
The new Dashboard is really nice. It's a lot like the windows phone interface. It's amazing how many times Microsoft has reinvented the 360 with a new dash

i looked up the original dash last night, horrible :p

giri

The new Dashboard is really nice. It's a lot like the windows phone interface. It's amazing how many times Microsoft has reinvented the 360 with a new dash

the blades?

they were awesome!

Omikron

You can slowly see MS converting all their OS products to use the one unified interface. Phone, Windows 8, xbox.

Guarantee you it is built using Silverlight.

giri

Choc, do you have a stat that will show which banks have passed on interest rate changes (up and down) over the last 2 years?

IIRC, this will be about the 3rd of 4th interest rate decrease that the big 4 haven't passed on.

a full 1% makes a huge difference over 30 years.

Choc

Banned
rateChangeChart.gif

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I didn't think ms was using silver light in their os anymore. The w8 thingy was all HTML5 based and jscript. I'm sure there was some uproar by the silver light lovers when it was announced.

Fruit Ninja on Android for 10c today only! More deals for the next 8 days!
Ape Escape Move for PS3 for $17!
Sonic Generations on 360 for $38!

Comic done. Should I have gone with Reptile's suggestion? Maybe?
Definitely
I may or may not have voted for Chuck Rock 7 times. Won't beat out Smash TV (especially since I put another 3 votes on it last night in a failed effort to get it higher than Another World for the lols) but hopefully we will see silly Mr. Rock drop a boulder on his house and charged with dinocide in 2 weeks time!

What the fuck am I doing on the other side of the world
Make sure to ask if their toilets flush left to right!

Nice to see Microsoft release an Xbox LIVE app on IOS, but not nice to see or hear nothing about an Android one.
Could be interesting, the Playstation app on Android is meh though so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Loved the original dashboard. The new one certainly looks nice and syncs up well with their current OS across the board but a lot of the added functionality isn't for me. I wish the marketplace was set out better.

Omikron

I didn't think ms was using silver light in their os anymore. The w8 thingy was all HTML5 based and jscript. I'm sure there was some uproar by the silver light lovers when it was announced.

Windows 'Metro', still can use XAML (basis of Silverlight and WPF GUI definitions)

110913%20Windows%208%20Platform%20diagram.JPG

Choc

Banned
the banks are playing a very dangerous game imo. If they choose not to pass a cut of any type the government will probably step in and do something for the future.

like i said, if the RBAs main lever for economic stability and improvement can be ignored by billion profit banks, then the entire point of the RBA cutting rates is moot.

FUCK THEM ALL.

one day someone will firebomb their offices.

the banks are playing a very dangerous game imo. If they choose not to pass a cut of any type the government will probably step in and do something for the future.

like i said, if the RBAs main lever for economic stability and improvement can be ignored by billion profit banks, then the entire point of the RBA cutting rates is moot.

FUCK THEM ALL.

one day someone will firebomb their offices.

You seem angrier than usual Choc. What's up?

You seem angrier than usual Choc. What's up?

Choc mad, he said a bad word.

Fk house hunting btw. Have app in, could come back as accepted, then we get 2 days to accept.

There is also a house i can inspect next thursday though that could be good, but would sacrifice this house for a chance to look at the one next week. RAGE i HATE this!

greedy fuckwits making 65 million a day by not passing on a cut that is designed to improve the economy of the nation

and laughing all the way to the bank in their fucking mercedes

CUNTS
Choc is the 99%?

Joking aside this is no different to what they have been doing the last few years, can't remember a point in time when I would have considered banks to be doing business for the greater good rather than for the greater profit.

Choc

Banned
they will lose 10 million each if they give the cut

10 million out of a SIX BILLION quarterly profit

give
me
a
fucking
break

biggest problem is the governments fucked. They can't pull the guarantee they have on deposits right now because that is what is keeping the lending costs to Australian banks low, if they do interest rates will go up.

But the fact that the Government is guaranteeing the money and therefore keeping borrowing costs down for the banks should force them to fucking cut

sigh

also the 1% who are on news sites going FUCK YOU ALL I HAVE BANK shares. Well how about for once htinking about someone OTHER THAN YOURSELF

oh wait, i forgot we left that behind a long time ago. FUCK SOCIETY

Fredescu

can't remember a point in time when I would have considered banks to be doing business for the greater good rather than for the greater profit.
In 2008 when the government guaranteed the deposits of the big four is when you should have realised that someone thought their ongoing existence was for the greater good. That's what makes this bad. If they're propped up by the government because they're too big to fail, they need to accept some degree of government say so in their operations. The government doesn't want to go hardline with regulation because investors will see that as additional "regulatory risk" and bank shares will plummet, which a lot of people and funds are invested in.

also the 1% who are on news sites going FUCK YOU ALL I HAVE BANK shares. Well how about for once htinking about someone OTHER THAN YOURSELF
I take your general point, but I reckon a lot more than just the 1% are heavily into banks. Probably a lot of super funds and the like.

also a 3ds pokemon game is out
So that's why Reddit is flooded with Pokemon jokes that I still don't get.

In 2008 when the government guaranteed the deposits of the big four is when you should have realised that someone thought their ongoing existence was for the greater good. That's what makes this bad. If they're propped up by the government because they're too big to fail, they need to accept some degree of government say so in their operations. The government doesn't want to go hardline with regulation because investors will see that as additional "regulatory risk" and bank shares will plummet, which a lot of people and funds are invested in.
That is what I meant. Banks are important, as we have seen overseas with those going under. Rock and hard place for the Government. Banks laughing all the way to the bank at the situation.

Kritz

Banned
Question: Has there ever been a successful melb-gaf meetup?

Also, unrelated, I will be in Melbourne next month from the 24th until either the 28th or 29th. The 28th is a Saturday.

So that's a thing.

Choc

Banned
like i said if the government pulls the deposit guarantee interest rates will skyrocket as the cost of borrowing will go up for the banks again

but that said, given they are being propped up they have a responsibility to fucking cut the rates and take a hit

without the government they would be taking a hit anyway due to higher costs

so fuck them.

Fredescu

like i said if the government pulls the deposit guarantee interest rates will skyrocket as the cost of borrowing will go up for the banks again
As of right now, borrowing from several smaller lenders is cheaper than borrowing from the big four. While the big four rely on deposits for two thirds of their lendings, credit unions and the like rely on close to 100%. If it's even more expensive to borrow from the big four, the gap will only widen, and many other lenders will be competitive. Isn't that a good thing?

Choc

Banned
As of right now, borrowing from several smaller lenders is cheaper than borrowing from the big four. While the big four rely on deposits for two thirds of their lendings, credit unions and the like rely on close to 100%. If it's even more expensive to borrow from the big four, the gap will only widen, and many other lenders will be competitive. Isn't that a good thing?

of course it is but what im saying is the governments in a rock and hard place right now and the banks know it.

They should have a social conscience and realise their borrowing is low thanks to the aussie taxpayer but they are all to busy wearing 20 grand suits, driving 200 grand cars and sniffing cocaine off hookers in their office to care

Shaneus

Also, unrelated, I will be in Melbourne next month from the 24th until either the 28th or 29th. The 28th is a Saturday.

So that's a thing.
I'll go. I'll bring a packet of gold stars so you can put them on everything.

Choc

Banned
ok so rba is 4.25 and anz is 7.30, 3.05% more

isnt it generally about 2.5% more

the lot of them are still a bunch of cunts because before the GFC it was about that. Every single one of the tossers is using the GFC as an excuse and will continue to do so.

So that's a thing.
Christmas with the family? I'm in Melbourne next Friday you should come have a few drinks! Or whatever the customary meeting up thing to do is in Melbourne.

They should have a social conscience and realise their borrowing is low thanks to the aussie taxpayer but they are all to busy wearing 20 grand suits, driving 200 grand cars and sniffing cocaine off hookers in their office to care
Well now I can't be mad at them. Sound like fun. Plus it's not their faulty they are awesome since they are drug addicts. We should feel sorry for them.

without the government they would be taking a hit anyway due to higher costs
Maybe we should have a government bank or something.

Choc

Banned
so xbox cloud saves is shit

you choose cloud as your storage device and then it access that

no internet? no save game. XBL down? no save game

PS3 does it like this. saves locally then uploads, so its a backup and not relied upon.

Sigh microsoft.

Deek thats exactly WHY the rba cut rates to try and shield us from that shit. But the banks urgh...... any excuse. They all have AAA ratings, they all get the lowest rates in lending because of the government guarantee

time to share the love with teh people guaranteeing your fucking deposits

Oh Choc.

As the partner of someone who worked in corporate banking for many years, there is so much wrong with this sentence that I think my head is going to explode.

But I won't let facts get in the way of your incessant raging, so carry on.

Choc

Banned
Oh Choc.

As the partner of someone who worked in corporate banking for many years, there is so much wrong with this sentence that I think my head is going to explode.

But I won't let facts get in the way of your incessant raging, so carry on.

deary me i jest ;)

seriously, this is the news limited take on it thats all ;)

don't search for #bankgrinches on twitter because thats the vitriol you get

Deeku

I'm sure one of the bank excuses is the volatility of the EU, meaning there are risks associated with sourcing international funds, which is a good reason I think.

Also, I haven't read anything about the recent cut, but I doubt it has anything to do with avoiding effects of the EU.

And yes, I agree with ban too even if I knew choc was "kidding" lol

Top Bottom