• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

FUCK YOU MICROSOFT WHY CAN'T I PLAY ARKHAM CITY NOW? WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOUR PIECE OF SHIT GFWL WORK OUT HOW TO PATCH THE DAMN THING?

Great. Now I can't play in my Live account. So now I have all the functionality of a pirated version. Just nothing but brilliance from GFWL.

EDIT: Had to custom run the patch editing the correct path for it to see the bloody install folder. Why the hell can't they just be like every other installer and let me choose the damn folder rather than just spit out an error message?

Deeku

I actually think the voice work is pretty good. It's the script that holds it back. There are moments, especially where Vanille and the kid are doing anything when I'm taken out of the story and just sit there shaking my head in utter disbelief.

The way they act may be endearing or funny in an ultra moe anime and in Japanese, but when it's coupled with the pseudo-realism of the game, it's jarring and just a little disturbing. You might think I was joking about Vanille having a learning disability, but that's genuinely how I default to feeling about her while playing.
Vanille's running action seals the deal!

I think I put about 20 hours into it until I got stuck on a boss. Really should put it back in and at least get to the part where the game opens up. Battle system is great, menus are really slick, and dat battle theme!

Problem is, while most movies have a DTS or DD stream (which is fine, because it just passes it through) very few games use that sort of encoding, meaning you either have to use the 3 analogue ports on the back (FL/FR, RL/RR, C/SW) or just deal with stereo being passed through HDMI.
Ahh, I've got a 'proper' Pioneer amp which pretty much decodes anything currently on the market (except 3D as it's a few years old now).

However I only use it for movies, and such not gaming, so that situation may be different.

I enjoyed SC Conviction quite a bit. The gameplay encouraged stealth but allowed for some action as well. Never did get around to the co-op campaign which was apparently quite good.

I actually think the voice work is pretty good. It's the script that holds it back. There are moments, especially where Vanille and the kid are doing anything when I'm taken out of the story and just sit there shaking my head in utter disbelief.

The way they act may be endearing or funny in an ultra moe anime and in Japanese, but when it's coupled with the pseudo-realism of the game, it's jarring and just a little disturbing. You might think I was joking about Vanille having a learning disability, but that's genuinely how I default to feeling about her while playing.

I agree. I think it would have been nice to have a Japanese/English option, because although the voice acting is generally good, I can't get into it because its so embarrassing to listen to.

I really need to go back and finish FF13. I guess the problem is I got about 10 hours in and then the PS3 broke, so I'd have to start again. Might watch it online, then I won't have to put up with the endless battles.

EDIT: Woah, vanille's voice actor's accent is the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsSY4svjABA&feature=fvwrel sounds like an Aussie who has lived in the US for a long time.

Deeku

I agree. I think it would have been nice to have a Japanese/English option, because although the voice acting is generally good, I can't get into it because its so embarrassing to listen to.
You need to buy the asian (chinese) version of the game which has Japanese voices with english text!

Shaneus

Ahh, I've got a 'proper' Pioneer amp which pretty much decodes anything currently on the market (except 3D as it's a few years old now).

However I only use it for movies, and such not gaming, so that situation may be different.
Ah. I'm curious whether you can get surround sound from games as well, as my big eureka moment was when I noticed I could hear surround using SPDIF out in VLC, but the Logitech would only ever get stereo when playing anything else. Works out better this way for me anyway, as the USB soundcard is hooked up via an ultra-long USB-extender/booster cable so I only need a regular sized optical lead.

Looking into that Steam frontend thing, too. Do you know if even just vanilla XBMC can be controlled with a pad? Either way, it has me tempted to set it up, because the documentation online made me realise that not only could I get all my Steam stuff comfy-couched, but emulators as well if I go via XBMC. But there doesn't seem to be any "from scratch" how-to or automated package for setting it up.

Reptile, whereabouts did you hear that Comfy Couch wasn't far off? I honestly would've thought they'd be keen to have it running for their Christmas sale period, but maybe Valve just didn't have it complete enough.

Also, Comfy Couch just makes everything so much more playable. Driver SF feels surreal when playing it on a big TV in 1080p at a full 60fps and a controller. Quite bizarre.

Oh shit, that reminds me. Big screen Blur! BRB

cupw.png

Did I get all of cup-gaf?

Sorry, its crappy paint :p

Yagharek

Regarding the Vanquish CE statue:
I bought The Conduit 2 (laugh, go on) and it came with a free statue that looks almost exactly the same as the Vanquish one. Similar pose, same armour design and completely worthless. If it is the same mould, you arent missing much tbh.

Here it is: http://www.esperino.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Conduit-2-Limited-Edition-EB-Exclusive.jpg

Looks different but still similar material by the looks.

FUCK YOU MICROSOFT WHY CAN'T I PLAY ARKHAM CITY NOW? WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOUR PIECE OF SHIT GFWL WORK OUT HOW TO PATCH THE DAMN THING?

Great. Now I can't play in my Live account. So now I have all the functionality of a pirated version. Just nothing but brilliance from GFWL.

EDIT: Had to custom run the patch editing the correct path for it to see the bloody install folder. Why the hell can't they just be like every other installer and let me choose the damn folder rather than just spit out an error message?

Think about the poor developers! All them filthy pirates means they cant feed their children caviar, so people who buy it legit need to suffer in unison with them.

Shaneus

Think about the poor developers! All them filthy pirates means they cant feed their children caviar, so people who buy it legit need to suffer in unison with them.
It hasn't affected me yet, but if anyone's screwed the pooch regarding this sort of thing, it's Ubisoft. I was looking up last night to see if there's a way to skip the UPlay screen that loads ahead of what appears to be all their games (in this case, it was Driver SF) and not only were there server issues at the end of last year, but there was a cock-up of monumental proportions where the console editions either didn't ship with a multiplayer code AT ALL, or (and here's the kicker) they were sent codes that were several characters short of what was required. Serial keys have been used with PC games and applications for literally decades but they manage to screw that up completely? Not only do they have the wrong attitude toward PC piracy (implementing a system that only shafts paying customers when there's a server-side issue? Brilliant work, Einsteins) but something as simple as generating codes was screwed beyond belief.

Industry folk without a clue shit me up the wall.

On a completely different note, AusGAF, I have really sore hands after a few hours in the garden. It's sore to type etc. and even after washing them, they feel kinda dry. Ideas? Hand wash didn't seem to make anything any better :(

Arkham City is much more playable for me with 360 pad. Maybe I need a new keyboard. Loaded up my save game after all the fucking around to get it going and got a 35 hit combo right off the bat. Unlocked a bunch of gadgets now though that will mean I suck at the combat until near the end game by the looks of it. SO MANY GADGETS.

Anyone have a great dictionary for Chrome so I don't have to keep adding stuff like Arkham or google a misspelling because I am lazy?

Reptile, whereabouts did you hear that Comfy Couch wasn't far off? I honestly would've thought they'd be keen to have it running for their Christmas sale period, but maybe Valve just didn't have it complete enough.
RPS mentioned it in the recent Steam statistics roundup.

Sorry, its crappy paint :p
Paint makes everything even more entertaining.

Regarding the Vanquish CE statue:
I bought The Conduit 2 (laugh, go on).
FbFKV.jpg

I just really want one of the figurines but there are a few I have seen on another website that are stupidly expensive but stupidly cool.

It hasn't affected me yet, but if anyone's screwed the pooch regarding this sort of thing, it's Ubisoft.
I think I remember hearing that Heroes is still out of action or was out all holiday period? Had a heartily lol when I saw that UPlay is still in beta even after it coming out in exactly the same condition in Assassins Creed 2.

I think deek mentioned the avatar was of a Japanese lady if I recall correctly?

Have you guys been in the gaf tinychat? There are some other Aussie chicks on there, but I've never seen them post so I dunno if they're members or not...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Have you guys been in the gaf tinychat? There are some other Aussie chicks on there, but I've never seen them post so I dunno if they're members or not...

Single? I know where i'm going!

Are you going to post that picture in the jan real pic thread?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

I've gone on there a few times just to troll.

The highlight was getting Bucca to throw his sponge bob toy into his fan due to peer pressure.

Good times.

Shaneus

I dared venture in there a long time ago. In fact, even bought a webcam after some heavy pressure from a non-AusGAFfer. Haven't been in there since.

So, on yet another Shaneus-esque aside, I really do love the iOS app update summaries from the PocketWeather guys:
fX6z6.png

Their last one was great too, but I never got around to posting it :(

Yagharek

It hasn't affected me yet, but if anyone's screwed the pooch regarding this sort of thing, it's Ubisoft. I was looking up last night to see if there's a way to skip the UPlay screen that loads ahead of what appears to be all their games (in this case, it was Driver SF) and not only were there server issues at the end of last year, but there was a cock-up of monumental proportions where the console editions either didn't ship with a multiplayer code AT ALL, or (and here's the kicker) they were sent codes that were several characters short of what was required. Serial keys have been used with PC games and applications for literally decades but they manage to screw that up completely? Not only do they have the wrong attitude toward PC piracy (implementing a system that only shafts paying customers when there's a server-side issue? Brilliant work, Einsteins) but something as simple as generating codes was screwed beyond belief.

Industry folk without a clue shit me up the wall.

From memory, EA, Sony and Ubisoft have all done this. Oh and Rocksteady did the code fuckup with Batman too.

Jintor

I am heavily immersed in two things: Dark Souls, and Katawa Shoujo. The weird rogue-like unforgiving Eastern Europen-style death march is from Japan, while the incredibly well-written and emotionally-affecting visual novel is from the West.

What is happening

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I am heavily immersed in two things: Dark Souls, and Katawa Shoujo. The weird rogue-like unforgiving Eastern Europen-style death march is from Japan, while the incredibly well-written and emotionally-affecting visual novel is from the West.

What is happening

Will you be watching the bayonetta speedrun?

All Shaneus' talk about comfy couch PC gaming makes me want to bring my gaming PC into the lounge to connect to the 55" TV and 5.1 system (mmm 12" sub), but the reason it's where it is is so the wife can actually use the TV on occasion.

I suppose if I get better speaker setup I could probably make do with sitting a foot away from a 24" screen instead of metres from a 55" one...

Also, what's with secondapps? The box to type posts/replies doesn't seem to work with Android autocorrect (at least on Ice Cream Sandwich).

Also, what's with secondapps? The box to type posts/replies doesn't seem to work with Android autocorrect (at least on Ice Cream Sandwich).
Found it to drop out a lot recently. Autocorrect that you gave me seems fine though.

ps deek is this virtual you

tumblr_lxetbgAfls1r7ecdio1_500.png
Dude, right click -> Search Image on Google. Reverse image search is built in now. Deeks avatar is Angela Aki. This has come up before! Also that pic you posted is Kim Shin Yeong and is worth quoting to see again. Chrome reverse image search has made life much more fun. :)

Cup Gaf? What do I need to be involved.
2 Trinest's 1 cup

Jintor

Dude, right click -> Search Image on Google. Reverse image search is built in now. Deeks avatar is Angela Aki. This has come up before! Also that pic you posted is Kim Shin Yeong and is worth quoting to see again. Chrome reverse image search has made life much more fun. :)

What? I am using the chromes and it is not right click reverse image searching :T

Shaneus

From memory, EA, Sony and Ubisoft have all done this. Oh and Rocksteady did the code fuckup with Batman too.
The code fucking up thing or just the code thing? I'm not sure if they're actually aware, but (from last time I looked into "the scene") modded consoles can't go online anyway, so blocking something from going online via a code or somesuch doesn't make a lick of difference to those who use modded consoles to pirate games anyway. So in the end, all they're doing is wasting money on infrastructure to register the codes AND the extra printing that goes toward the code. And that doesn't count the inevitable bad press they'd get from users having to put codes in to go online anyway.

Jase: Yeah, it's a shame people don't do little things like that outside of gaming (at least). If I had any kind of role at a company with something customer-facing like that, I'd certainly have fun. Shit, it's almost worth it's price ($1) just for those summaries alone.

Deeku

Tell me of this Bayonetta Speedrun

ps deek is this virtual you

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxetbgAfls1r7ecdio1_500.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
:o

I totally wear those glasses irl!

Edit: also, that's the type of pose I expect Sal to make if he does a real pic!

What? I am using the chromes and it is not right click reverse image searching :T

Really? I originally installed the extension at home but I'm at work at the moment using the version of Chrome I installed a few months ago with no extensions or anything and it is second from bottom in the right click menu. Strange. Here is the extension that it is using, maybe the IT guys hooked it up? I am a bit too creeped out to ask...

Gazunta

I figure my drawing is on one of those cups, so that's good enough for me.

WHO'S EXCITED ABOUT GOING BACK TO WORK NEXT WEEK

:(

Yagharek

The code fucking up thing or just the code thing? I'm not sure if they're actually aware, but (from last time I looked into "the scene") modded consoles can't go online anyway, so blocking something from going online via a code or somesuch doesn't make a lick of difference to those who use modded consoles to pirate games anyway. So in the end, all they're doing is wasting money on infrastructure to register the codes AND the extra printing that goes toward the code. And that doesn't count the inevitable bad press they'd get from users having to put codes in to go online anyway.

Jase: Yeah, it's a shame people don't do little things like that outside of gaming (at least). If I had any kind of role at a company with something customer-facing like that, I'd certainly have fun. Shit, it's almost worth it's price ($1) just for those summaries alone.

Code fucking up thing was done by Batman Arkham City. I know that for certain. Sony have done the online DRM (or allowed Capcom to use it) when their system was down.

Just on the bit you've bolded: it's another case of publishers going after a legitimate used market rather than a pirate. As usual, people who pay up real money are the victims.

Top Bottom