• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

I wants it.

It's thinner and surprisingly lighter than a 4S, ICS is nice (but face unlock useless and voice control not very good). Even though it's big it fits in most of my pockets with no problems at all. Though it's a pentile screen it still looks fantastic with no pixelation -- just like with the 4S screen.

Fredescu

Come again?
Gimme a minute
icyWp.gif

It's thinner and surprisingly lighter than a 4S, ICS is nice (but face unlock useless and voice control not very good). Even though it's big it fits in most of my pockets with no problems at all. Though it's a pentile screen it still looks fantastic with no pixelation -- just like with the 4S screen.

Mmm I played with one for a sec at a phone shop and was surprised how light it was and the UI seemed so snappy.

I'm a bit wary of jumping into Android an OS I know barely anything about when I've been a "power user" (lol what a dickish term) of iOS.

Face unlock was fun for a while. Meh now..

My only 2 issues are lack of Swype and Google removing FB sync.

Half my contacts don't have pictures now and I feel really crippled without swype :(

Cod, are you using any roms on yours? I heard some custom roms have got both swypr and fb sync working on ICS...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What the heck did holy get banned for this time? That silly man.

Why is my keyboard on iPad split in two. I have no idea how I got it like this.

Fixed!

The thing I don't like about the iPad is that there are hd versions of apps. Some require payment over there iPhone versions and apps you wanted to exist don't. I would personally love to use the this to view live streams at full screen size while I play games, but I don't think I can. Twitchtv doesn't have a hd version so it looks like ass and since there's no flash support watching something on the MLG website is impossible. There's also no gom app for the iPad although I don't even think you an use the iPhone version to watch live Starcraft 2 games anyway.

Ok some googling has led me to believe I can watch gom stuff via their mobile site but you need to pay for it. More googling required for the others I guess.

Clipper

AusGAF DnD, make sure you contact me soon with your wishlist of stuff so I can pick things for you from Kritz' campaign. Otherwise you get nothing. Also need your new powers for level 3. And my first night is still planned for Monday at 7pm. I am probably going to cap players at 5, so don't be late. Danoss, if you want to listen in or watch, make sure you contact me too.

Oh, and Holy was banned for for making a drunken troll thread about American health care. He'll be back in February.

Danoss

AusGAF proves once again why we're kept within a gated community.

It was essentially a reaction to what happened in the Ugg boots thread, where the Americans demonstrated both their ignorance and arrogance. It's also a culmination of the "USA is the centre of the universe" attitude that I am told is ever-present outside of this thread.

I can't blame him and I was a part of it to an extent too, as much as I usually stick to this thread.

ICS is boss, got it running on my touchpad.
I was considering doing the same on mine when I saw it'd come out this week, but I couldn't find a pre-built ROM of it.

My only 2 issues are lack of Swype and Google removing FB sync.

Cod, are you using any roms on yours? I heard some custom roms have got both swypr and fb sync working on ICS...
Just install SwiftKeys if you want a swipe keyboard. I find the ICS one is good enough for me. I don't care for facebook sync either. I won't bother with ROMs until Google stops putting out updates for the Galaxy Nexus. I did that same thing with my old phone -- stick with the official updates until they stop and then run to XDA Developers.

Dustforce seems like a cool indie game with a bit of a Super Meat Boy feel to it.

It was essentially a reaction to what happened in the Ugg boots thread, where the Americans demonstrated both their ignorance and arrogance. It's also a culmination of the "USA is the centre of the universe" attitude that I am told is ever-present outside of this thread..
Outside this thread and out in real life too. Although I think most Americans I know have slowly dialled it down since 9/11 and since the financial crisis have been much more open minded about how the world operates thankfully.
Although there are still plenty of morons out there.

Dead Man

Salazar

Ouch. Why is Shanshan banned?

I assume for posting in the Theist self-justification thread that life and the world would be nicer if people just stopped bickering about stuff.

Probably regarded as "synonymous with a 'this thread sux' post". Shan joins me in the dumb ban club.

Danoss

That "who gives a shit" gif must just be a ban magnet. Should it be in the GAF terms that one must at least pretend to give a shit?

That "who gives a shit" gif must just be a ban magnet. Should it be in the GAF terms that one must at least pretend to give a shit?
Thread shitting is generally a bankable offense. Need to contribute something to the discussion, ignore the thread or quietly ask a mod to lock it up.

Tennis is boring. Did you work out who we need to blackmail at Channel 10 to get 24 hour Simpsons Gaz?

Danoss

Thread shitting is generally a bankable offense. Need to contribute something to the discussion, ignore the thread or quietly ask a mod to lock it up.

I looked at her post, it wasn't just that gif. She did actually post content that was worth reading to those in the thread and attracted at least one intelligent response.

Dead Man

I assume for posting in the Theist self-justification thread that life and the world would be nicer if people just stopped bickering about stuff.

Probably regarded as "synonymous with a 'this thread sux' post". Shan joins me in the dumb ban club.

Damn, her post was actually pretty on topic too. I guess I'll be copping one soon for thread shitting there :)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The demo of kingdoms of whatever wasn't to bad. There's enough content in there to at least get a good feel for the game and decide if it's a day 1 or sale purchase.

At this point of time i'm thinking a sale purchase for me. I just have way too much shit I want to play and get through as well.

+ Game is actually enjoyable
+ Combat seemed fine
+ I could see myself spending way too many hours doing just about everything since it's designed really similar to WoW.

- UI is fucking terrible. Menus blow and the general feel of it is 90s. That's "ok" but it could certainly be a lot better.
- The game would randomly freeze up during combat, Fucking annoying
- Sound would drop in and out of sync during combat, also fucking annoying.
- Voice work. It would be like listening to me talk. It's terrible.

It was essentially a reaction to what happened in the Ugg boots thread, where the Americans demonstrated both their ignorance and arrogance. It's also a culmination of the "USA is the centre of the universe" attitude that I am told is ever-present outside of this thread.

I can't blame him and I was a part of it to an extent too, as much as I usually stick to this thread.
Excellent. Now that the American's know what's wrong with their society and culture I assume it's now been magically fixed? We can now move on to another country. Suggestions, anyone? :p <--placed here to ensure everyone knows that I meant that in a whimsical way, not just being a massive jerk. Please note that I am a massive jerk but I'm not trying to be in this paragraph.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of trolling. Big fan of it. Have used the Ancient Techniques of the Troll myself on
almost every
occasion, however, this was not a particularly deft nor effective form of the art.

Anyway, trolling can be used to make other people see hypocrisy/idiocy in someone else but it's rarely changed the opinion of the trollee.

Damn, her post was actually pretty on topic too. I guess I'll be copping one soon for thread shitting there :)
I may be joining you :)

would i get banned for posting who gives a shit in ausgaf.
are we still policed by gaf or are we big enough to be able to do our own thing and not worry about mods? have they left us alone at this point?

haven't seen an instance on anyone getting banned for being a dick in ausgaf.
or for spoonerisms

who shives a git?
Only bans in here I have seen were use of homophobic words.

Shan wasn't thread shitting, after all it was the equivalent of Rez's tag. Enough people must have complained to a mod who didn't appreciate the comment either. Religion is always a dangerous discussion.

hamchan

would i get banned for posting who gives a shit in ausgaf.
are we still policed by gaf or are we big enough to be able to do our own thing and not worry about mods? have they left us alone at this point?

Eatchildren is the only mod we have I think and he's cool. Before that it was Red Scarlet and she was also cool. I think we have a history of cool mods.

So that's why I feel it's safe to say that shanshan's post seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Seems this forum is full of people just waiting to jump on anything, pass their judgement and say their few pointless, snarky lines when no one actually gives a shit about their opinion!
If these people want to waste their time they should do it by playing video games or going out and having fun, instead of wallowing in their own miserable pile of hatred and shit.

This is my recipe for Guinness stew. Actually, that's not entirely correct, it's the framework for Guinness stew because I tend to make improvements/additions/subtractions/substitutions as I go, and I barely measure out ingredients these days as I am a lazy bastard. Also, forgive me if I ramble or if the instructions don't make a heap of sense.
Here goes!

Fap's Guinness (or other stout) stew.
Serves one hungry person with some leftovers, or two people with some leftovers.

Ingredients
500 gm of beef blade steak (This is tough as crap cooked normally, it's not something you would want to eat after a few minutes cooking, but once it cooks for a few hours it will be tender, juicy and delicious. It's also cheap as hell.)
1 cup of regular flour
3 medium/2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, diced finely
3 cloves of garlic, diced or minced. (If you have garlic in a jar, use a generous tablespoon)
Thyme
Salt
Pepper
500ml of liquid beef stock (or a few stock cubes/tablespoons of stock powder dissolved in 500ml hot water)
1 can of Guinness or another stout of your choice. (Just be careful that the stout you choose isn't too strong, otherwise it's a little overpowering. Guinness Extra Stout can be nice but may be too in your face for this dish)
A few tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of sweet or smoked paprika
1-2 cups of frozen peas (not minted)
Two tablespoons of tomato paste
Water if required
A couple of shakes of Worcestershire Sauce

Optional
A teapsoon of sugar if the stew is a little bitter for your liking (because you've used a really strong stout)

Cooking time: Approx. 2 hours.

Preparation.
Make sure your vegetables are peeled and diced/cut. Cut the excess fat off the beef and cut into small, even pieces. Pat off any excess moisture, and put the beef into the bag. Seal the bag and shake until the pieces are evenly covered in a fine coating of the seasoned flour.
If you don't have any clean bags around, put the flour in a shallow bowl and toss batches of beef instead.

Cooking.
Heat up a heavy-bottom pot with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Shake the excess flour off the beef, and in small batches, brown the beef off and be VERY careful that you don't burn the flour otherwise it tastes a bit icky. Using a slotted spoon, put the beef aside in a bowl. If the beef is sticking to the pot after a few batches, add some extra oil.

Once all the beef is browned, check the bottom of your pot. If there is burnt stuff everywhere, clean that shit up and then add a few more tablespoons of oil. If you were careful and there are a couple of brown bits, good! Add some more oil if you need to.

When the oil is heated, add your carrots, onions and garlic, and sautee over a low-medium heat until the onions are transluscent and the carrots tender. This stew tends to taste better if you cook the onions in the beef juices/oil from earlier, but it doesn't matter too much.

Pour your Guinness (or other stout) and the stock in and allow it to deglaze the bottom of the pot. Add the tomato paste and allow it to come to a slow simmer. Add the beef and the juices from the bowl back into the pot. If there isn't enough liquid, just add some water until the beef is covered by a few centimeters. Add the thyme, paprika and worcestireshire sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Taste the broth, if it's a little too bitter for you, add the sugar to taste too. You don't generally need too much.

Allow this to simmer covered on a medium heat for about an hour, and check the liquid levels every now and then as you don't want it to catch or be too watery.

After the hour is up, pop in your potatoes. These can be tricky depending on what type of potatoes you use. Continue cooking the stew with the lid on for another 45 minutes or so, or when the potatoes are tender, whichever comes first. When the potatoes are tender, add your peas and take off the lid of the pot. These take 10 minutes maximum. In this time, you should have tender beef and a nice gravy happening. If it's too watery still, raise the heat with the pot still uncovered, but make sure you stir constantly so the bottom doesn't catch. If there's not enough liquid, add more.

By this stage, it should be done. You can either serve it as is in a bowl with nice bread. If you don't want to eat it this way, serve it with rice and potato mash, but you might die from carb overload. If you really want mash with it, I suggest you omit the potatoes from the stew.

The best tip of all is, taste taste taste your food every now and then to make sure it is seasoned well. Again, add anything else you like. Mushrooms? Celery? Sure.

midonnay

watch the video again. There was a bozo in the crowd who tried to be a linesman and confused things up.

anyways I'll just leave this here >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPBwjZwpOKw

federer was a dick when he was tomic's age. He just had to learn to control his temper before he dominated tennis. (but you can see it occasionally rear its head)

Also Nadal has had his share of "gamesmanship" eg: ohh my back hurts lets get a massage and look at the birds

or the grunting.

and don't get started on djokovic.

generally tennis players are abit up themselves..... but who gives a fuck. You guys are holding them up to some non-existent standard.

/end rant.

hamchan

watch the video again. There was a bozo in the crowd who tried to be a linesman and confused things up.

anyways I'll just leave this here >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPBwjZwpOKw

federer was a dick when he was tomic's age. He just had to learn to control his temper before he dominated tennis. (but you can see it occasionally rear its head)

Also Nadal has had his share of "gamesmanship" eg: ohh my back hurts lets get a massage and look at the birds

or the grunting.

and don't get started on djokovic.

generally tennis players are abit up themselves..... but who gives a fuck. You guys are holding them up to some non-existent standard.

/end rant.

In that video maybe Federer did think the ball was out and lost his cool, we don't actually know. Nadal has a history of injuries so I don't think getting a massage mid-game is anything too bad.

This was a case of Tomic clearly calling for a challenge and then lying about it afterwards. The examples you brought up don't really compare since Tomic's cheating was super blatant.

Salazar

watch the video again.

Video no longer available due to a copyright claim by Tennis Australia.

Tomic has shown himself to be a definite and conscious knob in a number of ways. He's getting a pass from a lot of people because he's Australian. Which is shameful.

midonnay

^^^^^^ the one I posted is still up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMbLRHI5uow&feature=player_embedded

according to the video I posted above you can hear someone cry "out" in the crowd.

Tomic reacted to that and probably was "about" to challenge and looked at the umpire to confirm whether it was a real or fake call...... then he continued playing.

The umpire recognised that and hence deemed it not a challenge. (He even said so....as quoted "he had a reaction")

Obviously dogowhatshisname was hindered by tomic's reaction and the umpire could have called a replay if he thought necessary.....

but thats not Bernie's fault.

Top Bottom