• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Thanks for the post Danoss, I'll do some more research with that information and have a look around.

My budget depends on what I like when I listen to it. Probably willing to spend up to $2.5k, but I'd rather stick around $1.5k. The speakers are indeed for my bedroom. The thing is so packed, which is why I've avoided buying speakers (I use headphones for my TV, record player and PC) but I really want a nice set.. not amazing quality quite yet, but still pretty damn good.

And I love everyone's reaction to Bose. I remember I posted in either this thread or another thread on Gaf asking if Bose was a recommended brand and I got torn a new one for even mentioning the name. Are they really that bad?

But thanks dude, I really appreciate it -- I'll look around! :)

As Danoss mentioned in that price range you are going to get quality stuff.

However with that said, especially as this is your first "foray into hifi" I'd personally grab an old stereo amp (nad, rotel etc) and go from there. With regards to speakers its a very personal thing, and there is alot of bias when you go shopping for them. Im a fan of krix

Also when auditioning speakers see if you can get them to do blind tests, as the difference between a $500 speaker and a $2k speaker can really be quite small.

So $200ish for the amp and $600ish for a pair of bookshelf speakers you'll be set. When you start spending more then that you hit the diminishing return situation. I've auditioned high end stuff before, and I could tell the difference but I was hard pressed to

Also check out http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/ there are a lot of knowledgeable people there and the for sale section is quite good as well.

Where are you located as I will be selling some of my hifi gear in the near future?

Choc

Banned
finally you all see him for what he is worth, a useless howard hack politician that needs to fuck off and put MT in charge

and yeah i read mroe of the ars article.

jambo

I vote Liberal, come at me bro

Gimme a minute
icyWp.gif

Madrical

Banned
Oh hey, they're not pretty at all. They're sheepskin turned inside out in the shape of a boot for warmth and comfort. I don't think they were designed to be worn well outside the house for anyone.

Pretty much! The one time I wore my ugg boots outside my house was to my mate's house where we were having a LAN. Plus I brought a pair of shoes for a party that night. That said, his girlfriend used to wear ugg boots everywhere. Guess it just depends how much you give a shit about how you look.

Also, looking at picking up the Dynaudio Excite X12, Danoss. At least, that's what I'll be looking at when I first go in store.. found a pretty nice Hifi store in the city which I'll check out tomorrow.

Danoss

Pretty much! The one time I wore my ugg boots outside my house was to my mate's house where we were having a LAN. Plus I brought a pair of shoes for a party that night.

A LAN is a perfect occasion to wear them out of the house. A party, not so much, Smart move.

The yanks in that thread were thick as. I don't think they really read any of our posts, because well, what would we know about them?

Also, looking at picking up the Dynaudio Excite X12, Danoss. At least, that's what I'll be looking at when I first go in store.. found a pretty nice Hifi store in the city which I'll check out tomorrow.

They are a lovely pair of speakers! If they deliver music in a way you like, you really are in for a treat. Let me know what you think of them when you hear them.

Though if you're like me, you'll pick them up, run to the counter and say "Shut up and take my money!" To my ear, the Dynaudio's in that price range leave everything else for dead, but that's my personal taste. Don't let me or anyone else influence you; your ears will tell you all you need to know.

Madrical

Banned
They are a lovely pair of speakers! If they deliver music in a way you like, you really are in for a treat. Let me know what you think of them when you hear them.

Though if you're like me, you'll pick them up, run to the counter and say "Shut up and take my money!" To my ear, the Dynaudio's in that price range leave everything else for dead, but that's my personal taste. Don't let me or anyone else influence you; your ears will tell you all you need to know.

Yeah I read a couple of reviews and they both said that they're probably the best speakers you can buy for under $2k, which pretty much sums up how impressive they're supposed to be.

But as you said I'll give 'em a test in store hopefully and see how I feel. Hopefully they suit a pretty broad range of rock music from contemporary/soft to death metal. :)

Does anyone else reckon Abbott looks like a reptile? Like, sometimes when he's talking I think it looks like his tongue is slightly forked or something. And he has that weird scaly skin tone.

I'm just sayin'.

Edit: Apparently I'm not alone.

tonyabbott_rainbow.jpg

frilled+neck+lizzard.jpg

Yagharek

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

shit hit the fan at work today, it is like windows pushed out an update that fucked our application over and the number of helpdesk requests and issues is making me sad.

I like a device that does everything :p

Trendy US starlets wearing ugg boots does not erase YEARS of ugg-wearing bogans clogging up shopping centers.

I started Skyrim today (GMG FTW). Oh my. I like it but there's still the "Patrolling the Mojave makes you long for Nuclear Winter"effect that makes me miss Fallout. But then I prefer SF to fantasy. I also started a play of ME2 that i picked up cheaply on steam ages ago (beat it already on 360). This will be tough.

So here's a question. If I'm in the US, can I make a steam account while I am there that will work as a US steam account when I return to Oz?

Attempting to whittle down my Bluray pile of shame (I've managed to keep the games under control). I picked up Green Lantern cheap from Black Friday sales but oh lord I don't know if I can make it all the way to the end. It's awful.

Omikron

what does your application do?

Client/server app that enables people to (in real time) schedule tasks across large distances etc as well as a massive amount of asset management type stuff.

The real time stuff is what is dropping out atm. We have our own custom protocol that operates over tcp/ip.

jambo

Hello Ausgaf, after waiting many a year to be registered it's finally happened and thought I'd say hi from sunny Perth.

Welcome. Welcome to NeoGAF.

You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining gaming forums.

I thought so much of NeoGAF that I elected to establish AusGAF here in the Community forum so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors.

I have been proud to call NeoGAF my home. And so, whether you are here to stay, or passing through on your way to URLs unknown, welcome to NeoGAF.

It's safer here.

Welcome. Welcome to NeoGAF.

You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining gaming forums.

I thought so much of NeoGAF that I elected to establish AusGAF here in the Community forum so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors.

I have been proud to call NeoGAF my home. And so, whether you are here to stay, or passing through on your way to URLs unknown, welcome to NeoGAF.

It's safer here.

Trust me I've lurked here for so long that I don't have any intention of leaving. I actually registered whilst i was at my old job with that company email address almost 3 years ago and upon getting a new job registered again thinking I'd missed my place in the queue so was pleased it was only 6 months.

Guessing you don't get many freo supporters around these parts.

Salazar

Mr Abbott was questioned about the incident during an interview after riding in a bicycle cancer charity event in South Australia this morning. Describing the comment as ‘‘banter’’ he said he accepted it was probably not something he should have said.

"I was asked a light-hearted question, I gave a light-hearted response. It’s probably not the subject that people should be bantering about, even on morning radio but look, I think that’s all that needs to be said about it and let’s move on to other subjects.’’

lol, what a priceless fucking idiot. "Light-hearted". Labor need to cut an ad with the audio.

I actually met her in person when I was working at the convention centre and she was doing telethon just after Australian Idol.

When she walked there was a gravitational pull between my eyes and her ass.

Top Bottom