• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
How big is a nintendo block? It'd be nice to know how long my Res Evil demo download should take other than 2000 blocks.

d4533

Sorry for going back to the conversation a couple pages back, but a question for the people who recommend that everyone should watch blade runner.

Is there a preferred version to watch? Last time I looked there was 3 versions of the movie available. Is there a consensus on what the best version is?

Sorry for going back to the conversation a couple pages back, but a question for the people who recommend that everyone should watch blade runner.

Is there a preferred version to watch? Last time I looked there was 3 versions of the movie available. Is there a consensus on what the best version is?

The Final Cut. Maybe checkout the original theatrical release afterwards to see how much was changed by studio influence.

The Final Cut is the main version you will find everywhere since it was the one released on HD-DVD and Blu Ray. The DVD Directors Cut release was horrible produced.

Rezbit

Definitely go for the Final Cut. Tarted up a bit for the blu-ray.

Also Tassie in to the ODD final :D Ed Cowan smashed 120 for 100 odd.

Also any AusGAF impressions of ME3 demo? Really reading mixed feelings in the thread.

Also any AusGAF impressions of ME3 demo? Really reading mixed feelings in the thread.

zMauF.gif

Seemed like a polished version of the beta. Could be good. I like some stuff. I don't like some other stuff.

I don't know.

It won't be a day one purchase unlike the last two, and I loved the shit out of both of them.

Agyar

The Blu-ray Final Cut is the definitive version.

markot

Banned
I played some of me and got bored, and I bought me2 and didnt touch it, well I installed it but didnt touch it. Well I played abit and got bored.

Omikron

100 for Wells as well, good stuff.

markot

Banned
Bioware games are generally awful, with bad writing, and 'one' good funny character, if lucky.

Also teh romance is bad, the choices blow, and also I heard they club seals on their off season in Canada.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Badly conceived, more than anything, the demo that is. First half is just the main game intro level, which means it's a glorified, heavily scripted tutorial. It's pretty meh, and I was quite disappointed with how they handled the dialogue and invasion. A missed opportunity.

Second half is a typical shooty shoot level from later in the game. Upgrades you to a higher level so you can try different class and power builds. Here you really see how much better the combat is. It's faster, more tactical, and less whack-a-mole like the previous iterations.

BioWare's main fuckups were locking off this second half until you finish the first half, and requiring you go through the intro every single time. It should have been selectable from the menu. The other issue is the second stage forces you to use a specific load out. If you're an infiltrator you wont get to play with a sniper rifle. This hurts caster style classes, as they benefit from holding less equipment in favour of a faster cool down. Locked to four weapons means you don't get the perks, and they don't play as well as they will in the full game.

So essentially you've got a lukewarm heavily scripted first half, and an intriguing second half, of which is tedious to play and clumsily executed and doesn't benefit players looking to try out exactly how the different class and equipment builds will feel. Time to go back to the drawing board when making your demo, BioWare.

I love Mass Effect, but I love the total experience, and that is impossible to gauge from a demo. Planet hopping, hub wandering, questing, conversing, and customising. I cant really do any of this in the demo, so it doesn't really sell the 'Mass Effect experience' most people expect. Plays more like a typical shooter, not so much the fault of the game, but the demo's structure.

Otherwise there's the multiplayer, which I played briefly and is surprisingly fun, and unlike the single player has a ton of stuff to customise and play with.

Someone else noted this awhile ago, but the funny thing about this is you could replace the pedestal with a corpse, and the 'awesome' with a bullet list of loot. Press A to see a spreadsheet and aaawwweeesommmeee!!!!

Rezbit

Thanks for the impressions, EC. I will try it out tomorrow. I already feel a bit cautious toward it, so maybe it will surprise me. I always said I wanted Mass Effect to become more like Star Control, but instead it's become more like Gears of War. We'll see.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The demo might as well be Gears.

Choc

Banned
On the weekend i was in Brisbane

during this time in a spare moment I visited the Queensland Museum

and more specifically the science exhibits

that shit is awesome

Salazar

On the weekend i was in Brisbane

during this time in a spare moment I visited the Queensland Museum

Ah, it's reopened I guess. Will have to check it out again.

Queensland is still fucked, tho. Did you see -

Yesterday, Main Roads Minister Craig Wallace mocked Mr Newman for mistakenly saying Bowen is north of Cairns.

Today Mr Newman hit back.

"I learnt my geography of Queensland when I was serving my country 25 years ago in the Australian Army, unlike Mr Wallace who's never served the country in that way," he said.

?

d4533

The Final Cut. Maybe checkout the original theatrical release afterwards to see how much was changed by studio influence.

The Final Cut is the main version you will find everywhere since it was the one released on HD-DVD and Blu Ray. The DVD Directors Cut release was horrible produced.

The Blu-ray Final Cut is the definitive version.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll head down to JB at some point and pick up a copy.

Also, for those that dont vist the gaming forum too much and are fans of the Idle Thumbs podcast check out http://www.idlethumbs.net/. They have something in the works, and I cant wait to find out what it is.

What was ME2 like? I normally love bioware games but I didn't dig mass effect 1. I think it was the shooter elements. It just seemed like a third person shooter without particularly good mechanics. If the combat was more like kotor and less gears I think I would have loved it

Choc

Banned
From what I could tell in brisbane, newmans a done deal the way people are talking

also

could the man have ordered any more tunnels as his time with BCC?

Four fucking major tunnels what the fuck :|

also, QLD museum has an awesome exhibit about yasi and the floods

EatChildren

What was ME2 like? I normally love bioware games but I didn't dig mass effect 1. I think it was the shooter elements. It just seemed like a third person shooter without particularly good mechanics. If the combat was more like kotor and less gears I think I would have loved it

Streamlined levelling, stat building, looting and mission structure in favour of more polished and involved weapon play. Main story isn't as good, but the individual character plot arcs are. Some loved it, others loathed it.

Streamlined levelling, stat building, looting and mission structure in favour of more polished and involved weapon play. Main story isn't as good, but the individual character plot arcs are. Some loved it, others loathed it.

I liked ME1 more. Played it twice. ME2 can't even bring myself to beat it. Not sure if I'm even excited about ME3.

EatChildren

I liked ME1 more. Played it twice. ME2 can't even bring myself to beat it. Not sure if I'm even excited about ME3.

Yeah, a lot of people feel the same way.

I fall somewhere in the middle. I like some aspects of ME1 much more than ME2. And I like some changes in ME2 much more than what ME1 did. Both seem to do a bunch of things I love that the other does poorly.

But the games are not-so-guilty pleasure and I'm not ashamed to say I love them. Its the universe, I think. I'm so caught up in it I just want to experience more of it in any form I can. Even when I'm disappointed or annoyed I come back for more.

Like ME3. Intro level was disappointing and I can already tell BioWare will drop the ball on the great potential the story has, but I also know I'm going to pick up my CE at launch and play the shit out if it, loving every second.

hamchan

I love the whole Mass Effect series. Finished both games 3 times each. I even read Mass Effect novels. All I can hope is that Bioware does not make a crap game with Mass Effect 3, because they seem to be doing that a lot lately.

EatChildren

I love the whole Mass Effect series. Finished both games 3 times each. I even read Mass Effect novels. All I can hope is that Bioware does not make a crap game with Mass Effect 3, because they seem to be doing that a lot lately.

We're cursed, you and I.

remz

I've finished me1 like 4 times but only made it through me 2 once.

wasn't keen on 3 until I played the demo, now I kinda am

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
My old man asked me yesterday how my saving was going. Then mentioned if Ive looked into buying a house and renting it out, get in on that negative gearing action. I have thought about it from time to time but it just feels kinda off. I would hate to kick whoever rents it out after 12 months or more and it seems like it might be a bit of a hassle with general maintenance shit.

I do just want to pick up a house on my own. I don't believe you get the first home owners grant if you don't live in it for the first 6 to 12 months which is a downer.

I should be using my savings better but I'm not too sure which direction to go. I'm still dying to wait for the housing prices to drop, although that could happen in 2016 instead of next year. Unless people start believing the world will end this year and sell there houses for cheap, that would be awesome!

Should I seriously look into buying a house and renting it out or is it better to just wait and pick one up for my lonely self?

Mar

My old man asked me yesterday how my saving was going. Then mentioned if Ive looked into buying a house and renting it out, get in on that negative gearing action. I have thought about it from time to time but it just feels kinda off. I would hate to kick whoever rents it out after 12 months or more and it seems like it might be a bit of a hassle with general maintenance shit.

I do just want to pick up a house on my own. I don't believe you get the first home owners grant if you don't live in it for the first 6 to 12 months which is a downer.

I should be using my savings better but I'm not too sure which direction to go. I'm still dying to wait for the housing prices to drop, although that could happen in 2016 instead of next year. Unless people start believing the world will end this year and sell there houses for cheap, that would be awesome!

Should I seriously look into buying a house and renting it out or is it better to just wait and pick one up for my lonely self?

House prices have declined around 10% and the prediction for 2012 is another 10% drop, according to Steve Keen http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/2012/02/01/house-prices-outlook-for-2012/

I personally believe it is a very bad time to buy for investment purposes. You will get more money gaining interest in a savings account. However, the housing market is a funny one, and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to take my advice and for it to be wrong.

Also, I fly out to Melbourne today for the Blip Festival on Friday and Saturday. Any AusGafians going?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
House prices have declined around 10% and the prediction for 2012 is another 10% drop, according to Steve Keen http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/2012/02/01/house-prices-outlook-for-2012/

I personally believe it is a very bad time to buy for investment purposes. You will get more money gaining interest in a savings account. However, the housing market is a funny one, and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to take my advice and for it to be wrong.

Also, I fly out to Melbourne today for the Blip Festival on Friday and Saturday. Any AusGafians going?

Yea that's why i'm holding off since housing prices do seem to be dropping. I don't think i can be bothered dealing with people living in what should be my own little home.

I haven't heard of the festival but holy should totally go. Since he wanted to live in the city to be social, Go be social you lazy shit.

Fredescu

Savings accounts are good for being liquid, if you're likely to need to use the money soonish. It's not the most tax efficient thing to do though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Savings accounts are good for being liquid, if you're likely to need to use the money soonish. It's not the most tax efficient thing to do though.

Yea. Due to the money I make from my savings I now owe the tax buggers money come tax time. Although if i claim a few things here and there I'm able to swing it back in my favour.

I need me some dividends!

Omikron

Yea. Due to the money I make from my savings I now owe the tax buggers money come tax time. Although if i claim a few things here and there I'm able to swing it back in my favour.

I need me some dividends!

Have a child, I hear there are lots of hand outs when you get one.

MrSerrels

I've been thinking about buying a long term investment property in Melb, poss Frankston. Worth waiting a year?

in frankston you will get a lot of renters as opposed to maybe a few longer-term ones. they will also most likely treat your property like shit.

though that's not indicative of everyone from frankston. that's what screening processes are for.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Cookie when you buy an investment property its never based on wanting to live there

its based on

-rental return
-ability for it to appreciate

Yea, It's still Frankston though :D

I wonder if it's actually been cleaned up over the years. It's been a good while since I've been down that way. Although it's still a location everyone jokes about.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Can this smoke all over Perth please fuck off, struggling to breathe, see and fucking itchy everywhere. Goddamn Allergies.

Top Bottom