• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

So I actually need to check my old Hotmail email today and I'm getting some strange error when I try to log in, is anyone else having a problem logging in?

Yes I know it's Hotmail etc etc.

Fredescu

I've been thinking about buying a long term investment property in Melb, poss Frankston. Worth waiting a year?
It's probably not the best time. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but I think property will continue it's downward slide from last year and that will accelerate as more people realise what's happening and jump out, until the government steps in to stimulate it. If they overstimulate, property bought now could go up further, but I don't think it really has that much room to go up. The best result of mild stimulus would be to keep prices relatively flat so there isn't any panic selling, but prices go down in real terms due to inflation. I've no idea if this is even possible.

Some argue that the the government won't try to stimulate the property market if it starts getting bad because they've committed themselves politcally to a surplus. I think this is a fairly weak argument, and you can bet that Swann would prefer to be the guy remembered to have broken a promise (who can even keep track of all of those?) than to be remembered as the guy who presided over the worst property crash in our history. A property crash would be bad for everyone, not just for investors, so I think they will do all they can to prevent it.

Personally if I were choosing an investment now, I would get into shares. Something that will pay you franked dividends so you don't pay much tax on them but still make regular money even if the value goes down, unlike a negatively geared property.

nb. I am an idiot who is not qualified to give financial advice. Listen to me at your peril.

Have a child, I hear there are lots of hand outs when you get one.
If you want to throw money at something a child is certainly an effective way to burn cash. Fun too! Most of the time. Placenta was not fun Fred. It was yuck.

Also, I fly out to Melbourne today for the Blip Festival on Friday and Saturday. Any AusGafians going?
That is looking to be a damn good lineup actually, man I hate living down here :(

lol Risk has been such a slut the last few years, nice to see Blizzard putting out games again though!

lord-of-the-rings-risk-boardgame.jpg

halo-risk-board-game.jpg

Risk1_new.jpg

Popcorn. Also lots of laughs. PALGN will be shutting down.

Posting from hellyers road distillery. Hi reptile.
I hope you drown in there you lucky prick.

In other news I need to stop drinking, I won't be able to pay for this wedding if I keep spending $50 a week on booze. Might organise a brewery tour for the bucks night. Going to a mates one in a few weeks in Daylesford. Fucked if I know why we are going there, he is homophobic and all I know about Daylesford is that it has a pretty happening gay and lesbian community. Planning on taking over the cricket ground and playing some 20/20 and getting hammered. Not quite as fun an idea as the original one to go see how cricket bats get made but should be fun.

Stackboy

Finished Saints Row The Third yesterday. Enjoyed the entire ride. Was never stumped when trying to beat a mission and the introduction of new stuff all the time was really rewarding. I wish more games took themselves less seriously.

Now I'm trying to figure out what will occupy my time between now and March 1st for SSX. Probably more Battlefield 3 and some Skyrim.

Ordered it during lunch on amazon. Haven't played my 3ds much lately so might as well get a jrpg for it! Last Tales game I played was Symphonia and I think I liked it. I've heard that Abyss is one the better titles in the series, so should be interesting.

Also, vita games are in stock on amazon now. Will have the games I ordered a week before the vita lol.

those were my thoughts exactly, something i can put a good few hours into. then i decided to go back and try to finish SMT:SJ since i'm a sucker for a good dungeon crawl.

Deeku

Personally if I were choosing an investment now, I would get into shares. Something that will pay you franked dividends so you don't pay much tax on them but still make regular money even if the value goes down, unlike a negatively geared property.
Shares are a bit iffy now though given the current environment. I think there's still too much uncertainty in the market that could hurt the average investor.

Edit:
those were my thoughts exactly, something i can put a good few hours into. then i decided to go back and try to finish SMT:SJ since i'm a sucker for a good dungeon crawl.
Yeah, still haven't really progressed from where I left off in SJ though. I did put in Etrian Odyssey and play for a bit. That game is still awesome, but super tough. Might actually open my copy of EO3 and start that instead since I don't think I can be bothered respecing my EO party and grinding back the levels.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Just throw some shares into the banks cause they are rolling in dat green.

Which is what i might do shortly ... Once i figure out how to D:

Mar

don't pay much tax on them but still make regular money even if the value goes down, unlike a negatively geared property.

nb. I am an idiot who is not qualified to give financial advice. Listen to me at your peril.

dodgy quote due to mobile device posting.

However, good advice. But I'd disagree that a property crash would be bad for everyone. It would be a lot of pain for a lot of people, but overall is something the country needs in order to return a balance.

Tear down the wall!

jambo

I just checked the GAME site and they aren't listing the WiFi Vita anymore =[

That's the one I was planning on pre-ordering tonight, using my 3DS as a trade-in to half the price.

Yug

Even trying to manage a wordpress site is a massive pain in the ass. I'm glad I'm not a web designer.

I am a web designer, and managing wordpress is actually easy compared to alot of other (or custom) content management systems out there.

That said ... it's still a massive pain in the ass :p

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Can I make a personal request that ALL ME3 discussion be spoilered in here?

I know NOTHING about the game and I wish to keep it that way until I can play it (I don't want to play the demo)

Even impressions.

TYIA.

Fredescu

Shares are a bit iffy now though given the current environment. I think there's still too much uncertainty in the market that could hurt the average investor.
This is for a long term investment. The uncertainty makes it a good time to buy. If you buy when things are good there's a chance you'll overpay. There are so many different strategies within shares themselves that to dismiss it as a whole seems strange. Are you suggesting leaving all the eggs in one low paying basket as an alernative? That seems strange advice.

Mar said:
But I'd disagree that a property crash would be bad for everyone. It would be a lot of pain for a lot of people, but overall is something the country needs in order to return a balance.
A property crash will lead to higher unemployment making your job less secure. It would affect you personally. A slow deflation would be best, if at all possible.

Omikron

Even trying to manage a wordpress site is a massive pain in the ass. I'm glad I'm not a web designer.

wordpress is simple compared to many I have used.

That said, I fucking hate web development, the tools you have at your disposal just seem fucking archaic.

Rezbit

Can I make a personal request that ALL ME3 discussion be spoilered in here?

I know NOTHING about the game and I wish to keep it that way until I can play it (I don't want to play the demo)

Even impressions.

TYIA.

Even impressions? Come on man :| You can say how good/bad the thing is without mentioning any story.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Even impressions? Come on man :| You can say how good/bad the thing is without mentioning any story.

I know peoples personal preference towards RPG/FPS / particular elements of the ME universe and could quite easily work out shit based on their like or dislike of the game and elements!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Spoiler-ing spoiler-free impressions is ridiculously excessive behavior that I don't think we should enable. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Future spoiler: I shot a guy, liked some of the characters and ultimately think the game isn't that good.

Spoiler that shit.

Top Bottom