• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

I think I'm gonna buy Kingdoms of Amalur. The demo was really fun (and 60+fps!) and when it ended I was sad. Therefore as soon as it is less than full price, I will buy it. Even if it's 10% off.

I think I'm gonna buy Kingdoms of Amalur. The demo was really fun (and 60+fps!) and when it ended I was sad. Therefore as soon as it is less than full price, I will buy it. Even if it's 10% off.

Mega, the title is self published onto steam, but it there now for $60 (which is stuff all) thank you sir.

Yes game is fantastic, it is refreshing to see such a nice solidly built game that just works and is enjoyable. Also gameplay is as addictive as Skyrim.

also 2 questions.
1. anyone on playing wow, can you give me a quick rundown of what is new in last 6 months
2. anyone else tried out TERA, opinions?

Was just wondering if there is anything alluring to bring me back to WoW for a while

Also i played some of the TERA beta and must say despite the game being enjoyable and really nice, i found myself getting bored quite quickly. I will need to test other classes before i drop the title but playing ranger was utterly cheese, "point at mob, press attack, hold key till dead,move on"

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
also 2 questions.
1. anyone on playing wow, can you give me a quick rundown of what is new in last 6 months
2. anyone else tried out TERA, opinions?

Was just wondering if there is anything alluring to bring me back to WoW for a while
I don't think much? I haven't played cata wow in a good while but from my understanding it's just your usual raid / instance content being added with the usual class changes.

I don't believe anything drastic has changed.

Myself, orbi, 3chop and arnie are currently playing wow upto wrath on a priv server. Not too sure why but so far it's working, pretty much just leveling as a group.

It's bound to blow up soon! But it could be an interesting experience for those who haven't played vanilla wow. To see how it changed from exp to exp before they redid the old world with cata.

I don't think much? I haven't played cata wow in a good while but from my understanding it's just your usual raid / instance content being added with the usual class changes.

I don't believe anything drastic has changed.

Myself, orbi, 3chop and arnie are currently playing wow upto wrath on a priv server. Not too sure why but so far it's working, pretty much just leveling as a group.

It's bound to blow up soon! But it could be an interesting experience for those who haven't played vanilla wow. To see how it changed from exp to exp before they redid the old world with cata.

Yea i expected as much, i am pretty good with TOR atm anyway was interested though.

Sweet, the 3rd book in a series i have been reading is out in 9 days. Robin Hobb - City of Dragons. Order Success!

Jezabel

Yeah that's what my work does. But I'd just ask if they want one when you call them.

The business with GC united is ridiculous. The a league expansion has been a complete failure save for the heart. I wonder why united have failed? I mean the titans are well established now, last season hopefully being a blip, and the suns had a good first run.

Gold Coast need more community roots and media. i heard they hardly did any communtiy programs or media pushes into the area when they developed. probably hurting them now, also there form cannot be helping. I went to a game up at skilled last year when i was on holiday. terrible atmosphere

Thanks for the updates guys. I would respond to you all individually but I am posting from my craptacular phone and even with images and avatars turned off it still takes an age to load a page and scroll to where I want, let alone reply.

You can get it for $45 from UK Steam if you can get someone to gift it for you.

I think I may just do this. This will have to be the last game I buy until the end of march.

GF's little sister's birthday, her dad's birthday, her cousin's birthday, my birthday, my sister's birthday, a day on the green.

holy shit im gonna be poor

Gold Coast need more community roots and media. i heard they hardly did any communtiy programs or media pushes into the area when they developed. probably hurting them now, also there form cannot be helping. I went to a game up at skilled last year when i was on holiday. terrible atmosphere

Hasn't Palmer refused to open up stands to accommodate extra fans at times? Pretty much capped it at like 3000 people? Not a good way to run a successful team

I don't live on the Coast, but I don't think I've ever seen any United advertising or people wearing their merch in Brisbane. You see Titans stuff everywhere and I've even seen goddamn North Queensland Fury stuff around, but never a United shirt.

Off topic of soccer, but on topic of sport on the Gold Coast, you see Titans stuff in Brissie all the time. Especially on kids. Actually it's something that should pay off massively for them in the long run. The Titans may have had a rough season last year but they've done an amazing job of attracting young fans. That will pay off hugely at these kids grow up (not to mention Idris, Champion and Myles).

Thanks for the updates guys. I would respond to you all individually but I am posting from my craptacular phone and even with images and avatars turned off it still takes an age to load a page and scroll to where I want, let alone reply.

Secondapps that shit dude. It will change your neogaf browsing life

Shaneus

A lot of companies work off of the "2 or more consecutive days" or "if it's a Friday or Monday" you must get a certificate rule.

Could you not ask when you call in sick?
Emailing it in. But I received a reply from my boss with a reminder that I need one given this is my third. Looks like I'll be heading in for a visit to my local GP (or one of those bulk billing joints) this arvo!

I've read the first three trilogies but haven't gotten around to the Rain Wild Chronicles yet. Good? Have you read the previous books?

Oh excellent a fellow Hobb fan. I have really enjoyed it so far, not as much as the Farseer Trilogy (royal assassin) but still really good.

Royal Assassin was the 1st one of 3 i read and i fell in love, it blew my mind it was so good.
I went straight from that to rain wild.

Are the others any good? which ones should i read?

Oh excellent a fellow Hobb fan. I have really enjoyed it so far, not as much as the Farseer Trilogy (royal assassin) but still really good.

Royal Assassin was the 1st one of 3 i read and i fell in love, it blew my mind it was so good.

I got lent assassin's apprentice and havent read it yet. should i? i love love love raymond e feist for comparison.

Fredescu

The Liveship trilogy is probably my favourite of the three, and it sounds like it would be the most closely related to new series. The Tawny Man trilogy is most closely related to the Farseer trilogy. Both are worth reading. Apparently the Soldier Son trilogy isn't very good, and it's not set in the same world so I've never bothered.

Deeku

Did anyone here pickup Tales of the Abyss for 3ds when it released here? Is it decent?

Apparently US version is limited print so I think I might need to grab it with my vita games from amazon soonish.

I got lent assassin's apprentice and havent read it yet. should i? i love love love raymond e feist for comparison.

Whatever book is the 1st, read it. If you don't want to read the next 2 afterwards i will refund you the cost of the 1st book. It is currently my most enjoyed book series ever.

Texting in sick is even better!

I do this, it is win.

The Liveship trilogy is probably my favourite of the three, and it sounds like it would be the most closely related to new series. The Tawny Man trilogy is most closely related to the Farseer trilogy. Both are worth reading. Apparently the Soldier Son trilogy isn't very good, and it's not set in the same world so I've never bothered.

Thanks Fred, looks like i am set for the next.....4 years for books to read. (i read hell slow, lol)

I don't accept people emailing or SMSing that they're sick. I demand a phone call. IMO it reduces the number of sickies people take because they have to at least put a little effort in.

Omikron

Yeah I always call up reception if I am sick, email/sms don't count.

If I am late I will SMS my manager or whatever, out of courtesy as we are on flexible hours anyways, so no drama.

I can understand the no texting or emailing sickie, but where I work it's a small team and we are like family, so no one takes advantage anyway. I've been with the company for almost 9 years as well so that helps.

I can understand the no texting or emailing sickie, but where I work it's a small team and we are like family, so no one takes advantage anyway. I've been with the company for almost 9 years as well so that helps.

Our environment is pretty relaxed, also mates with manager so a casual SMS to say i won't be in is usually cool.

Mate just linked this, sounds like an interesting read. especially for Choc/Gaz?

http://aigamedev.com/open/interview/evolution-in-cityconquest/

Hoegaarden for $30, Stella for $30 in Melbourne.

I'm using PayPal so they don't have my credit card details and will cancel as soon as the codes hit my Steam account. If they try and put a charge through I will flag it with PayPal and get it refunded.

Emailing it in. But I received a reply from my boss with a reminder that I need one given this is my third. Looks like I'll be heading in for a visit to my local GP (or one of those bulk billing joints) this arvo!
Bulk Billing clinics in Geelong are awesome, usually only a half hour wait at most and they get you in and out quick.

I don't accept people emailing or SMSing that they're sick. I demand a phone call. IMO it reduces the number of sickies people take because they have to at least put a little effort in.
Yeah I always call just so I don't seem like a lazy prick trying to get out of work. Only ever been actually sick myself once, every other time is because the gf was sick and I had to stay home and take care of the little guy.

wonzo

Banned
Did anyone here pickup Tales of the Abyss for 3ds when it released here? Is it decent?

Apparently US version is limited print so I think I might need to grab it with my vita games from amazon soonish.
I picked it up from jb before it became hard to find. put in a few hours before i got distracted with other things and put in on the neverending backlog :(

seems like a pretty damn good port though

jambo

6dXHrl.jpg

Aw man you so close to the pig. I was on the other side of the building from it.

I think I've seen better concerts from a musical perspective, but nothing even close as far as a spectacle.

What did you think of the second half? I thought
it was a bit too much of the movie, and not enough of the original projection stuff they had going on in the first half.

depends on your tastes i'd say. i've played about 15 hours of it and while it's a solid production i'm thinking the Tales... games in general are just not my cup of tea. If you are a Tales fan, the thread seems pretty positive.

If we can all get past the horizontal layout (or read it on a phone), here is another awesome article from the Global Mail. It's about the Catholic Bishop who was fired a year or two ago by the Vatican. Really interesting insight into how the church operates and what went down before he got the boot.

http://www.theglobalmail.org/feature/the-inside-story-of-how-rome-ousted-a-bold-bush-bishop/55/

I went to a catholic high school in Toowoomba so I saw him at big school events a couple of times per year. Even as an avoid atheist, I wouldn't say a bad word about Bishop Bill. Really down to earth and seemed to take the threat of sexual abuse far, far more seriously than others in the church

Deeku

I picked it up from jb before it became hard to find. put in a few hours before i got distracted with other things and put in on the neverending backlog :(

seems like a pretty damn good port though

depends on your tastes i'd say. i've played about 15 hours of it and while it's a solid production i'm thinking the Tales... games in general are just not my cup of tea. If you are a Tales fan, the thread seems pretty positive.
Ordered it during lunch on amazon. Haven't played my 3ds much lately so might as well get a jrpg for it! Last Tales game I played was Symphonia and I think I liked it. I've heard that Abyss is one the better titles in the series, so should be interesting.

Also, vita games are in stock on amazon now. Will have the games I ordered a week before the vita lol.

Shaneus

Bulk Billing clinics in Geelong are awesome, usually only a half hour wait at most and they get you in and out quick.

Yeah I always call just so I don't seem like a lazy prick trying to get out of work. Only ever been actually sick myself once, every other time is because the gf was sick and I had to stay home and take care of the little guy.
Because I start when the rest of the business starts, there's rarely anyone in by the time I know I'm sick... and if I call up right when I'm supposed to start then I figure that's being a bit shit with notice. At least with email, if a manager checks their Blackberry beforehand they know :)

If I was a new starter or whatever then I'd definitely put in the effort but given my usually-awesome attendance record and almost decade tenure, I'm pretty well right.

Also got a cert for up to today and another to cover tomorrow as well if needed, so that's all apples.

Did I tell you guys how awesome my NAS is? Now all my TV series are sorted into shows and seasons, up-to-date, properly named and will automatically update when a new episode is out. It's the shit. Perfect for a fully-sick guy (literally) like myself.

Fredescu

Choc levels of argument. :p

(valid point however)
I'll read the whole thing, but basically we're "the richest country in the world" because a) our property prices are severly inflated and b) our dollar is high and this shit tends to be measured in USD. People are feeling the pinch because they're in debt up to their eyeballs, moreso than any other country (http://www.dailyreckoning.com.au/au...-disposable-income-ratio-in-world/2010/02/03/).

"By the time we members of the vast Australian middle class have saved some 10 per cent of our income (not counting superannuation), paid for the private school fees, the house extension, the new flat screen TV, the overseas trip (did I mention the number of Australians taking advantage of the high Aussie dollar by holidaying abroad was up 13 per cent in the year to November 2011, compared with the same period the previous year, and up 34 per cent in two years?), our wallets are a little light."

To have a concluding paragraph make no mention of our record levels of household debt is a little insulting.

Omikron

I'll read the whole thing, but basically we're "the richest country in the world" because a) our property prices are severly inflated and b) our dollar is high and this shit tends to be measured in USD. People are feeling the pinch because they're in debt up to their eyeballs, moreso than any other country (http://www.dailyreckoning.com.au/au...-disposable-income-ratio-in-world/2010/02/03/).

"By the time we members of the vast Australian middle class have saved some 10 per cent of our income (not counting superannuation), paid for the private school fees, the house extension, the new flat screen TV, the overseas trip (did I mention the number of Australians taking advantage of the high Aussie dollar by holidaying abroad was up 13 per cent in the year to November 2011, compared with the same period the previous year, and up 34 per cent in two years?), our wallets are a little light."

To have a concluding paragraph make no mention of our record levels of household debt is a little insulting.

Oh yeah, household debt is high, but as the article states, is that because the cost of living is high? or more because cost of lifestyle is high?

Salazar

Choc, Choc, Dead Man, LULZ

Mr Newman also took his own swipe at a senior Labor Government Minister.

Yesterday, Main Roads Minister Craig Wallace mocked Mr Newman for mistakenly saying Bowen is north of Cairns.

Today Mr Newman hit back.

"I learnt my geography of Queensland when I was serving my country 25 years ago in the Australian Army, unlike Mr Wallace who's never served the country in that way," he said

HOW GLASS-CHINNED A PISSANT CAN HE BE ???????

Top Bottom