• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Why you go to England

To visit family and see the sites. We are then going to Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome (I love Roman history so that's why we will be in Italy the longest). We didn't book accommodation in London because we're staying with a family friend outside the city, but with the train fairs, we may as well bloody just stay in London.

Dead Man

To visit family and see the sites. We are then going to Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome (I love Roman history so that's why we will be in Italy the longest). We didn't book accommodation in London because we're staying with a family friend outside the city, but with the train fairs, we may as well bloody just stay in London.

*Sights* That shits me so much. Sorry. Anyway, yeah, the train is pretty expensive between some towns in England, I caught buses mostly when I was there, but I was in no rush, much much cheaper though.

A couple of things about the spreadsheet:

Can I really change the privacy and editing permissions for others simply as an editor? Seems a bit much for every editor to be able to do.

Should there be an 'owner' column?

There isn't a way to comment on it somewhere is there? Would be better than me posting here.

and just to say again it's a really cool thing y'all doing. I'll check if I have anything worthwhile but my tendency to not finish any games and them all being pretty shit means I probably won't have anything to share heh

yay for you. When are you going?

*Sights* That shits me so much. Sorry. Anyway, yeah, the train is pretty expensive between some towns in England, I caught buses mostly when I was there, but I was in no rush, much much cheaper though.

Oh yeah, sorry I meant grave sites :)

So buses may be an option then...mmm So car hire is a bad idea? Accommodation in London is bloody expensive as well.

Deeku

Sounds like a great trip! I really want to do a big UK/Europe tour. Only place in Europe I've been to is Milan and it was more for work than pleasure.

Jintor

A couple of things about the spreadsheet:

Can I really change the privacy and editing permissions for others simply as an editor? Seems a bit much for every editor to be able to do.

Should there be an 'owner' column?

There isn't a way to comment on it somewhere is there? Would be better than me posting here.

and just to say again it's a really cool thing y'all doing. I'll check if I have anything worthwhile but my tendency to not finish any games and them all being pretty shit means I probably won't have anything to share heh

Just make a new column if you want to contribute. I might add a 'contributed by' column later. Think of the editor thing as imparting a certain level of trust, and modify your behaviour accordingly.

Choc

Banned
Is it worth hiring a car and driving to London from Snodland (haha best name)? I'm guessing the parking is expensive as well? I just cant fathom paying $80 a day just for the train, seriously WTF.

if you are willing to put up with the motorways then possibly. Cars from heathrow are expenisve due to the airport tax, from London city not so much.

Expect a lot more cars on the road and a lot of jams, but that said, they do layout their roads very well.

Shaneus

Shaneus: be very wary. I suspect you are being taken for a ride, but if you have no harmful side affects and actually feel better then it's difficult to advise against only because the adult mental health system can be a nightmare.
If you had a life threatening illness like cancer though, I'd be screaming at the computer for you to keep away from chiropractic frauds.

My wife is a psychologist for children/adolescents, and deals often with people with ADHD. Not everything requires medication as far as I know. If you have any general questions pop them in a pm and I can pass them on to her for general info if you like.
In what regard should I be wary of that treatment? The GP I see in Melbourne was diagnosed with ADHD only a few years ago (I think he's just hit 50 now) and he was the one who suggested the treatment. He's also done a surprising amount of investigation into it and seems to think there's a strong correlation between that issue and people with ADHD.

As far as how I am now, it's more than just "feeling" better, as my posture/stance/gait has improved considerably (my shoulders are now even rather than lopsided), I can turn my neck further than ever and I can sleep on my back without the slightest tinge of feeling restless or uncomfortable (as well as my back actually feeling flat rather than having a slight curve to it). Walking is a new joy as well as I don't have to be constantly changing my balance to what I think looks "right".

For the rest of the ADHD stuff, I'm actually coping quite well. There seems to be less of a reliance on dex than there was prior to having my C1 adjusted, but nowhere near enough to contemplate eliminating it completely. Definitely a reduction in symptoms when off the meds, though.

The retail chain Kmart has been forced to withdraw a line of underwear for young girls that carries slogans such as "call me" and "I ♥ rich boys" after the store was accused of sexualising teenagers.

undies729-420x0.jpg

markot

Banned
The retail chain Kmart has been forced to withdraw a line of underwear for young girls that carries slogans such as "call me" and "I ♥ rich boys" after the store was accused of sexualising teenagers.

undies729-420x0.jpg

Jesus >_<;

And in other news, if you could only buy one, what Mario or Zelda?! AND ITS FOREVER CAUSE YOU ARE GOING TO THE MOON AND THEY ARE BANNING GAMES AND ONLY ALLOW YOU TO CARRY ONE GAME AND ONE CONSOLE! (3DS IS A CONSLE FOR SPACE TRAVELING PURPOSES)

In what regard should I be wary of that treatment?
It's a "newly-discovered" treatment. I can't find anything about who R. C. Schumperli is, but where is his degree? Where's the medical research to prove that this treatment is scientifically sound? That there are very few Google matches is a warning sign, and most of the sites don't seem convincing to me. Not to mention that it has a poor sales pitch with the "99% of people have a problem"... except those of us who 'get' the secret of Atlas Profilax? There's also talk of a special device, which after having just read the comic on chiropractors sounds suspiciously the same.

But the burden of proof lies on the Atlas Profilax practitioners to prove that it is effective. Until then, I will be skeptical.

jambo

Breaking Batman PC is really shitty, no one will be able to play for days.

Mums and Dads will have no idea about the Steam unlocking stuff.

markot

Banned
They terraformed the moon and found like an infintite supply of power there, moon rocks!

And yeah, breaking Batman is pointless,

4d377e5e7f8446e7b1745e59767f1341-computer-says-no.jpg

Oh yeah, its only steam for the steam version (STUPID WARNER!)

jambo

Anyone here got a European Club Nintendo account?

I thought Batman was only Steamworks if you get it from Steam? If that makes sense. Probably not, carry on.

I double checked and it uses GFWL, not Steamworks, so it should be ok to break the release date then.

I thought Batman was only Steamworks if you get it from Steam? If that makes sense. Probably not, carry on.

That's correct.

@codswallop. Exactly, it's still in the realm of a Today Tonight 'miracle cure' until there is a body of scientific evidence regarding its effectiveness. That's not to say it didn't genuinely help you Shaneus, but I wouldn't recommend people spend $250 (that was the price, right) a session until we know it is scientifically sound.

Choc

Banned
so i guess we are stuck with ponting and johnson for a another 6 months

always pulling it out last minute boys!

Yagharek

In what regard should I be wary of that treatment? The GP I see in Melbourne was diagnosed with ADHD only a few years ago (I think he's just hit 50 now) and he was the one who suggested the treatment. He's also done a surprising amount of investigation into it and seems to think there's a strong correlation between that issue and people with ADHD.

Anecdotally, there are a number of GPs around who have alternative practices on the side. Some friends of ours dropped $3k on a fad diet their gp advised, and it was dangerous.

GPs arent the authority: evidence based research is. The problem is when a gp steps outside that.

Rahk

a suggestion would help.

Is there even a good headset for 360?
I don't really know much about 360 headsets, but Turtle Beach is probably your best bet from what I hear.

I presume 3chopl0x was comparing the brand to high quality headphones, in which case he'd be correct as I doubt they'd compare in sound to a set of Audio-Technica or Beyerdynamics in that price range.

You're paying extra since it's a niche product that is higher quality than other 360 headsets.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've done way too much running around on my day off.

Now it's time to drink.

Jintor

Hmmm. The PCPP forums are talking about some kind of mass Steam-culling of accounts that have used VPNs to tunnel through to the US or Russian Steam stores that is apparently taking place over the last few months. US games are being refunded and removed, while accounts with Russian purchases are apparently being banned entirely (though they are rescuable with a support inquiry).

This, if verified, is presumably related to the hack that occured a week or two ago...

Yagharek

I don't really know much about 360 headsets, but Turtle Beach is probably your best bet from what I hear.

I presume 3chopl0x was comparing the brand to high quality headphones, in which case he'd be correct as I doubt they'd compare in sound to a set of Audio-Technica or Beyerdynamics in that price range.

You're paying extra since it's a niche product that is higher quality than other 360 headsets.

Thats all well an good, but I was asking about headsets that doubled as headphones, not headphones. In which case his 'advice' wasnt that helpful.

Choc

Banned
Hmmm. The PCPP forums are talking about some kind of mass Steam-culling of accounts that have used VPNs to tunnel through to the US or Russian Steam stores that is apparently taking place over the last few months. US games are being refunded and removed, while accounts with Russian purchases are apparently being banned entirely (though they are rescuable with a support inquiry).

This, if verified, is presumably related to the hack that occured a week or two ago...

welcome to why VPN tunneling a region locked game is not a good idea

Buying US stuff is usually ok though

Choc

Banned
The saying used to be labor government = union strikes and chaos

seems that may be now the liberals slogan if you look at Vic and NSW right now

All the "mods" that have been released for Skyrim so far are just .ini edits, right?

Not exactly just ini edits but they won't be really substantial until Bethesda release the mod tools. I have heaps of higher quality texture 'mods' enabled though, some of them (like a GAF members better water mod) look amazing.

jambo

Not exactly just ini edits but they won't be really substantial until Bethesda release the mod tools. I have heaps of higher quality texture 'mods' enabled though, some of them (like a GAF members better water mod) look amazing.

I need to get some of the mods and stuff set up, I've been having some weird issues with shadows and the horse one sounds helpful.

Kritz

Banned
I finished Saints Row 3. Pretty disappointing game in a lot of spots, but still has some great moments. Also feels really, really short and never really gives you the chance to access those higher tier unlocks until after you've already beaten the game. That may be for the better, but it's a shame that what were essentially skill-based unlocks in Saint's Row 2 have turned into xp grind unlocks here.

The game has also taken a massive, massive dive in the amount of customisation you can have. Gone is the choice to have separate undershirts, shirts and coats which have been streamlined into the one thing. The advantage to this is that the clothes themselves generally have a bit more detail and some physicsy floppy bits such as scarves or bottoms of jackets, but I think I prefer Saints Row 2's system more.

While the game does have some silly weapons, I so seldom used the ones featured in all the trailers and marketing promos, as I found them ineffective. Worse still, a wide range of them are locked behind pre-order or DLC paywalls, so I didn't even get a chance to use them.

There are also less standard weapons this time around, with revolvers, LMGs and any kind of decent shotgun mysteriously missing from the game. At that, you can no longer freely choose between using a single pistol or dual wielding them. In Saints Row 2, you could simply pick up a second gun and use them together, and if you wanted to, you could return to using one. In this, you need a specific unlock to be able to dual wield, and once you've unlocked it, you can never not do it.

Car customisation remains mostly the same, although I swear this game has half the cars that Saints Row 2 had, and nearly every second car is a sports car. The car radio is decent enough, but the 80s radio station is a pale comparison to Saints Row 2. The game only has about five good, memorable songs, and each one of those are played during a select few special missions, which was a fantastic touch.

You no longer get a choice between which mission chain you want to do, either. You will often have 3 available missions, but if you progress too far into one gang's missions, you get locked off until you do others. The upside of this is that you only have to do the grunt work missions once, and by the end it's pretty much a four hour climax of crazy shit. The bad thing is you never really feel a sense of resolution from destroying any one gang.

It's also unfortunate that
they kill off Johnny Gatt in the first hour of the game, off screen, and never satisfactorily address it. From what I've read, this may have come down to the voice actor sodding off. It's just a shame that Saints Row has now killed off every character from the first game except the main character. It's not like anyone really comes to this series for the story, but it'd be nice if they could at least try to make it interesting.

The ending(s) were also both really kinda half done. You get a choice at the end that dictates what your final mission will be, with one being set on a flying air-carrier thing, and the other being set on Mars. Both endings feel kinda really dumb, but not in the cool Saints Row style.

I never felt like I was finishing anything, so there will totally be a Saints Row 4 sometime down the line. As someone who's been a fan of the series since the first, I'm kinda super bummed out about how it's been treated. I enjoyed all the dumb silly bullshit that they've done, but I kind of just want something more from it.

This is a game for people who didn't like Saints Row 1 or 2. It's a new starting point for the series, with the trade-off being a disappointing game for anyone who enjoyed the subtleties of the second game. I disliked it, but there will be a large audience who will love what the series has become.

5/5 STARS - KRITZ.NET

Top Bottom