• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Danoss

Anyone know of cheaper .com registration aside from GoDaddy? I need hosting as well so that'd be nice. I'm really bad at this stuff. :(

Try Domain.com and use the code "FILMRIOT" for 15% off. That may be cheap enough to help you out there.

There's also VentraIP for an Australian purchase. I have my hosting with them at present, they're very good.

jambo

Running at low res, plus when I go into advanced settings everything is labelled as not detected. Oh man, now Windows just hangs on startup.

Try going in to safe mode (F8 after POST screen) and uninstalling and then re-installing your video card drivers.

Maybe even use a driver cleaning program to wipe it clean.

Try going in to safe mode (F8 after POST screen) and uninstalling and then re-installing your video card drivers.

Maybe even use a driver cleaning program to wipe it clean.

This is bad, even Safe mod hangs... I'm going into repair mode, what should I be doing. Might join Steam chat for some help if you're on mate.

Kritz

Banned
My keyboard just arrived. Again, it was one of these fuckers:

ttesports-meka-G-unit.png

First impressions are kinda what you expect them to be. Still getting used to the ever so slightly smaller width compared to the G15, so still making lots of awkward mistakes with hitting the wrong button. I absolutely hate that the right shift button is smaller than a normal keyboard, and that the \| button is where the extra length of the thing should be.

Apart from that, I'm not immediately feeling much of a difference from the mechanical keys. Like, I can feel the difference, and the sound of the keyboard is a lot cooler, but I don't think I'm sold on the concept just yet. I'll see how I feel about it a week from now.

The software is almost identical to Logitech's thing, except you can't assign any shortcut to the macro keys - has to be an .exe. Otherwise it's pretty much identical.

I don't really know why, but the WASD, left shift, left ctrl, spacebar, arrow keys and 8 4 6 2 on the numberpad have LEDs lighting them up. You can kinda customise which groups of keys light up, but you cannot make individual keys light up - so my keyboard can't have lit LEDs under K R I T Z. Capslock, numlock and scroll lock all have toggle LEDs.

It also has a dumb christmas light setting where the LEDs will pulse on and off. It's kinda distracting. GAMING KEYBOARDS.

I think I might still look into getting a DAS at some point. Those things look cool.

5/5 Stars

jambo

This is bad, even Safe mod hangs... I'm going into repair mode, what should I be doing. Might join Steam chat for some help if you're on mate.

No Steam at work =P But others should be able to help.

I actually had an issue with Windows not getting past the startup screen a few months ago.Turned out it was an issue with one of my HDDs. So maybe try unplugging some of your other HDDs if you have any.

You could also try a few different RAM combinations depending on how much you have. Just unplugging and reseating some components may also help.

You could also us a Live CD to run some diagnostic checks on different components.

http://www.livecdlist.com/purpose/diagnostics

Yagharek

I'm incredibly sceptical of chiropractors. Too many of them make bullshit fanciful claims that everyone knows (or should know) are impossible.

Such claims include:
* Curing viral (incl HIV) and bacterial infections
* Curing cancer
* Curing mental disorders like schizophrenia

All through the magic of spinal manipulation!

If chiropractors instead limited themselves to dealing with back pain, muscle pain etc, I might believe them. After all, if you have a bad posture or joint, that is going to lead to compensation in your stance, and that may mean that a bad hip leads to shoulder pain and headaches via a chain of compensation in body posture. Nothing controversial there (although I'd see a physio instead).

Shaneus: be very wary. I suspect you are being taken for a ride, but if you have no harmful side affects and actually feel better then it's difficult to advise against only because the adult mental health system can be a nightmare.
If you had a life threatening illness like cancer though, I'd be screaming at the computer for you to keep away from chiropractic frauds.

My wife is a psychologist for children/adolescents, and deals often with people with ADHD. Not everything requires medication as far as I know. If you have any general questions pop them in a pm and I can pass them on to her for general info if you like.

Fredescu

I'm incredibly sceptical of chiropractors.
Awesome (long) comic on chiropractors: http://darryl-cunningham.blogspot.com/2011/08/chiropractic.html

From the guy that brought us this: http://darryl-cunningham.blogspot.com/2011/09/science-denial.html

and this: http://darryl-cunningham.blogspot.com/2011/06/evolution.html

codswallop said:
I was just about to post the exact same thing. No way I could handle that.
When I started my current job they gave me one with that layout. I didn't last a day.

midonnay

pain is such a subjective experience. It can be as much as a state of mind as a physical ailment.

I suspect thats why so many doctors have embraced acupuncture. Better than addiction to painkillers I guess.

Yagharek

Anyone used those turtle beach headsets for xbl? My current h/s is the MS wireless one and its always cutting out mid sentence.

A mate is telling me to get the x41 which is $250.

pain is such a subjective experience. It can be as much as a state of mind as a physical ailment.

I suspect thats why so many doctors have embraced acupuncture. Better than addiction to painkillers I guess.

There are other strategies that don't involve expensive appointments either.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I'm the only one in the office for the fortnight :( Already not used to having someone to bounce thoughts off!

time to go for a walk to JBHIFI to make small talk with sales clerks

Ydahs

Brother is checking a few stores in the city today, asking if they're selling Zelda. I'll let you know if he has any luck in finding a copy.

Stop seeing chiropractors and go to a physiotherapist. And if your GP recommends a chiropractor, get a new GP because they didn't listen in their first year of medicine or even their undergraduate degree.
I get the 2 confused. She went to a physio for her neck problems. Got a massage and "realignment". Never been to either as I am too tough for that kind of medical stuff. When I hurt I just start being all awesome and get better. Actually googlemaping the place it was a Chiro!

I'm thinking of buying myself one of those new Xbox 360 steering wheels for myself. Has anyone tried them out?
Bern picked one up to.

On the topic of AusGAF group organization. Is it too early to bring up AusGAF Secret Santa?
Steam Secret Santa sound like a great idea.

Oh man, the system restore actually worked. That was fucked up, stay away from the beta CCC that has been posted, the new drivers are fine though.
System Restore actually worked really well for me on my last computer. Same with the OS recovery when it turned out that my hard drive was a bit screwy and it kept thinking I didn't have Win7 installed properly.

Anyone used those turtle beach headsets for xbl? My current h/s is the MS wireless one and its always cutting out mid sentence.
I got the XLC ones for $20 from LOGS the other day and they are pretty average looking but do the job surprisingly well for the price.

Ydahs

Brother is checking a few stores in the city today, asking if they're selling Zelda. I'll let you know if he has any luck in finding a copy.

Well, JB in the city isn't selling Zelda nor Tales of the Abyss 3DS.

He's buying Skyrim instead and demands I help him pay it off...

edit -
AUSGAF SCOOP: EB Games on Bourke Str (?) will not be breaking street date, because they are having a midnight launch.

Any AusGAFfers been to England recently? Are the train fairs normally ridiculously expensive? The equivalent of travelling from the Central Coast to Sydney (which costs me about $12 return) is like $35...ONE WAY! That can't be right, can it?

Ydahs

I guess I should never have imported Mario 3DS. Hasn't arrived yet and I would have been able to get it for the same price locally.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Well, JB in the city isn't selling Zelda nor Tales of the Abyss 3DS.

He's buying Skyrim instead and demands I help him pay it off...

edit -
AUSGAF SCOOP: EB Games on Bourke Str (?) will not be breaking street date, because they are having a midnight launch.

>_> I'm sure atleast one other person here knew this

Ydahs

>_> I'm sure atleast one other person here knew this

But no one reported on this piece of breaking news, therefore it is a scoop!

A GAFer works there?

Also, we now don't have to highlight spoiler tags to show the spoiler. We can just click on it :eek:

Deeku

It's in Adelaide apparently lol

Also, I too am disappointed about JB not stocking limited edition Zeldas. Who the hell do I price match now??

Edit: wait a second, markot where did you get your JB info from? JB's site says you can preorder it in store:/

Choc

Banned
Just got back from Shin Tokyo =3

b6j6gl.jpg

why no zelda

edit: Yes its normal for UK trains to be horrendously expensive. It's one reason the motorways are clogged.

Get used to it whilst you are there. They also have 3 national companies and so you need to make sure you buy the right ticket for the right company. In London it can get very confusing

The subway itself is not expensive if you get an Oyster. Do that, seriously. Oyster is brilliant. Once you hit a daily cap you don't get charged anymore. If you dont have an oyster you do.

Mistle

It's in Adelaide apparently lol

Also, I too am disappointed about JB not stocking limited edition Zeldas. Who the hell do I price match now??

Edit: wait a second, markot where did you get your JB info from? JB's site says you can preorder it in store:/
JB is stocking the limited edition. I have it preordered.

edit: Yes its normal for UK trains to be horrendously expensive. It's one reason the motorways are clogged.

Get used to it whilst you are there. They also have 3 national companies and so you need to make sure you buy the right ticket for the right company. In London it can get very confusing

The subway itself is not expensive if you get an Oyster. Do that, seriously. Oyster is brilliant. Once you hit a daily cap you don't get charged anymore. If you dont have an oyster you do.

Is it worth hiring a car and driving to London from Snodland (haha best name)? I'm guessing the parking is expensive as well? I just cant fathom paying $80 a day just for the train, seriously WTF.

Top Bottom