• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Omikron

Hmmm. The PCPP forums are talking about some kind of mass Steam-culling of accounts that have used VPNs to tunnel through to the US or Russian Steam stores that is apparently taking place over the last few months. US games are being refunded and removed, while accounts with Russian purchases are apparently being banned entirely (though they are rescuable with a support inquiry).

This, if verified, is presumably related to the hack that occured a week or two ago...

Pretty sure I have heard this before. My vpn obtained left 4dead2 remains.

Oh and I also have old republic beta access...

I need to get some of the mods and stuff set up, I've been having some weird issues with shadows and the horse one sounds helpful.

Have you used any ini tweaks either? Liquidmetal posted an ini for 'Ultra High' settings that I have been using and it gives me a viewing distance much further than the game normally allows on Ultra.

I'll post it and some good mods tomorrow for you to have a look at, I have to head off now though.

jambo

Have you used any ini tweaks either? Liquidmetal posted an ini for 'Ultra High' settings that I have been using and it gives me a viewing distance much further than the game normally allows on Ultra.

I'll post it and some good mods tomorrow for you to have a look at, I have to head off now though.

All I did was tweak some of the ini values because of my sound issues and also to change the FOV.

Other than that it's vanilla Skyrim.

Choc

Banned
probably because under the liberals they're not just getting their way?

no because the two governments have decided to fuck with the public service and in particular essential services (nursing and policing)

the NSW government has decided police disability benefits needs to be cut. They have rocks in their fuckin head.

Both Governments are run by boof heads who have no idea and got in on land slides because labor was so bad. Shame the electorate never knew this was going to happen. None of BOF's policies were taken to the polls because he knew he had it in a cakewalk so didnt need to

Shame Barry Shame.

Danoss

and by deterring you from wasting 250$ on shitty headphones I'd say i'm being very helpful.

Nah, you're totally wrong. $250 on Turtle Beach 'phones is totally justified.

Totally kidding. $250 would be better spent professionally recording a fart, then listening to it for hours.

Nah, you're totally wrong. $250 on Turtle Beach 'phones is totally justified.

Totally kidding. $250 would be better spent professionally recording a fart, then listening to it for hours.

HAHA that made me laugh way too much. Yeah i would never spend $250 on TB phones, I spent $199 on some Tritton AX360's a couple of years back and now I never use them cause I don't even play the Xbox :)

jambo

Wait, did he actually buy TurtleBeach headphones for $250?

:lol :lol :lol

Beyerdynamic MMX2 would be a much better choice, or maybe some Senny's with a mic.

Omikron

My guess is RandonVince needs the headset in order to exclaim in prefect clarity how well his fellow gamers make bunches of sticks.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
EatChildren. I wish to write a hard hitting article about JBhifi's change in staff hiring policies. Jambo, if you've been to the cbd jb recently you'll know what I mean.

There's some big questions that need answering. Who's shaking up the system? Who's cracking down on the bias for hot women hiring policy?

This is a wrong that must be protested.

Rahk

Wait, did he actually buy TurtleBeach headphones for $250?

:lol :lol :lol

Beyerdynamic MMX2 would be a much better choice, or maybe some Senny's with a mic.
Well, considering he seems to want something that will be primarily for his 360, that's not going to help as the mic won't work, I don't believe.

I agree that $250 is overpriced though (considering they seem to be $160 in the US), and Dolby 7.1 and wireless seem pointless for headphones.

I think Razer also makes some 360 headsets that might work on PC as well, so perhaps look into those, Vince. Just do some research and pick something cheap based on reviews. I wouldn't really pay over $100 for something that's only going to be used on the 360, but if you play multiplayer games on 360 a lot perhaps it's justified.

Fredescu

Well, considering he seems to want something that will be primarily for his 360, that's not going to help as the mic won't work, I don't believe.
You can get an adapter that lets you plug standard heaphones and mic into the 360 controller. I have one, but I didn't use it much.

XLfEi.jpg

Cheers for the heads up on the 3DS deal ausgaf

ahh brings back memories of working at a call centre

system restore seems to actually work (!!!) on win7 unlike it's shittier predecessors

edit: spoke to soon lol

How's the Xmas bonus work?

Rahk

You can get an adapter that lets you plug standard heaphones and mic into the 360 controller. I have one, but I didn't use it much.
Cool. Never used a mic on 360, so I wouldn't know.

Fuck the Turtle Beach then. Get the Beyerdynamic MMX2 and an adapter. Cheaper than the Turtle Beach option, can use it for PC or anything else, and way better sound.

Edit: Wait, how would that work? Wouldn't that only provide sound for voice and not actual game sound?

Dead Man

I finished Saints Row 3. Pretty disappointing game in a lot of spots, but still has some great moments. Also feels really, really short and never really gives you the chance to access those higher tier unlocks until after you've already beaten the game. That may be for the better, but it's a shame that what were essentially skill-based unlocks in Saint's Row 2 have turned into xp grind unlocks here.

5/5 STARS - KRITZ.NET
I agree with all your complaints, but I still rate it as an awesome game. Pretty disappointed in the length, that is probably my major gripe.

Deeku

Some MW3 voice chat is pretty funny! Well, I thought it was funny.

"Jon look at me, I got a riot shield!"
"Get a gun dude"
"Nahh, I like my shield better...Jon? Can you get a golden riot shield???"
"No"
"Why not?"
"Cos that's fuken stupid"
"No it's not:(!!"....Jon do you like my camping spot?"
"Where are you?"
"I'm next to a box. Jon? What's an emp??"
"..."
"Jon?"
"..."
"Joooooooooooon??!"

:lol

hamchan

Some MW3 voice chat is pretty funny! Well, I thought it was funny.

"Jon look at me, I got a riot shield!"
"Get a gun dude"
"Nahh, I like my shield better...Jon? Can you get a golden riot shield???"
"No"
"Why not?"
"Cos that's fuken stupid"
"No it's not:(!!"....Jon do you like my camping spot?"
"Where are you?"
"I'm next to a box. Jon? What's an emp??"
"..."
"Jon?"
"..."
"Joooooooooooon??!"

:lol
Lol, yeah some people are alright. Then you get the kids whose voice haven't broken yet or the racists. The best part of the game is hearing your opponent after you kill them. I'm so glad they added that.

Rahk

I've played 20 hours of SR3 and have hardly done any of the main missions.

Looking at my stats it seems like the side missions are apart of the total missions and I only have about 15 to go though.

Choc

Banned
Lol, yeah some people are alright. Then you get the kids whose voice haven't broken yet or the racists. The best part of the game is hearing your opponent after you kill them. I'm so glad they added that.

the best thing about the game is the mute option

Card Boy

Banned
Whats the go with Mortal Kombat (2011) on PS3? Last i read on whirlpool was that ISP's where IP locking out (banning) the game from being played online.

Can someone who is cluey give me a rundown.

If its too much trouble i might get King of Fighters 13 instead.

Deeku

:eek:

I didn't know that! That explains why I sometimes get some angry cursing after I get a kill. I just thought it was someone on my team.

I tend to only mute people that are intentionally loud and disruptive, or playing music in the background. I kinda enjoy listening to randoms go on about stuff. It's extra special when you get people with thick country accents swearing up a storm lol.

Shaneus

It's a "newly-discovered" treatment. I can't find anything about who R. C. Schumperli is, but where is his degree? Where's the medical research to prove that this treatment is scientifically sound? That there are very few Google matches is a warning sign, and most of the sites don't seem convincing to me. Not to mention that it has a poor sales pitch with the "99% of people have a problem"... except those of us who 'get' the secret of Atlas Profilax? There's also talk of a special device, which after having just read the comic on chiropractors sounds suspiciously the same.

But the burden of proof lies on the Atlas Profilax practitioners to prove that it is effective. Until then, I will be skeptical.
Here's a shitload of information my doctor (who was, understandably, hesitant to be named... at least until there are solid studies done) had gathered on the subject. There is quite a lot of information regarding the condition, as well as several treatments, papers and many references as well as personal anecdotes.

FWIW, the Atlas Profilax "method" is not the only way to get this done, there are other very similar methods (I think here is a little more specific, though I've yet to thoroughly check out that site) but looking up "atlas subluxation" would yield better results as that's the name of the condition, as opposed to "atlas profilax" which is the specific name of the treatment.

Anecdotally, there are a number of GPs around who have alternative practices on the side. Some friends of ours dropped $3k on a fad diet their gp advised, and it was dangerous.

GPs arent the authority: evidence based research is. The problem is when a gp steps outside that.
Eh, his recommendation was very much off the record and he has literally zero to gain by suggesting any method, as he has no association with any of the people "qualified" to do the treatment. From my point of view, he's someone who (I guess) sees in his ADHD patients something that can be fixed to make their lives markedly better. Coming from the position he's been in from actually suffering from ADHD, there's no reason for me to not believe in his research.

While he gave me a lot of information on the problem, the onus was on me to research the issue as much as possible and ultimately make the decision of whether the treatment would be beneficial, harmful or complete bullshit. Thankfully, I made the right one as the benefits thus far have been numerous *and* obvious. No "I think I might be feeling better, perhaps maybe" crap.

It most certainly would deter visitors, and the federal government realises that.
Will never happen.
I agree it won't happen but coastal communities are fucking stupid. The locals fight tooth and nail to be as anti-tourism as possible. Really gives me the shits when I hear the crap they try and come up with. The council here recently denied a policy brought up by the flagging businesses of Warrnambool to have free on street parking during the Christmas period to encourage people to drive into the shopping district to have a look. It is already retarded that a place like Warrnambool you have to pay $2 an hour to park anywhere near the centre of town, even out the front of my work where there is nothing other than a Pharmacy that would be of concern to consumers it is parking meters everywhere.

EB strikes again
Batman PC broken
markot does the moon have electricity?
I would be more annoyed if I didn't still have SR3, RAGE and BF3 to tide me over until AC releases.

Hmmm. The PCPP forums are talking about some kind of mass Steam-culling of accounts that have used VPNs to tunnel through to the US or Russian Steam stores
My RAGE is still fine. I was of the impression that the only publisher to revoke keys was Activision.

turtlebeach are shit and not worth 250$, so no I'm not wrong.
I agree on the price but disagree that they are shit. If you import a pair of Turtle Beach at a decent price they are totally worth it, especially with the consoles and getting the right audio to come through. The PX21 would be perfect for PC/PS3/360 use and only $70 when imported rather than $120 at JB. I love the 7.1 on my G930 headset for PC but listening to music/podcasts on the can isn't a dealbreaker.

I agree that $250 is overpriced though (considering they seem to be $160 in the US), and Dolby 7.1 and wireless seem pointless for headphones
I found the 7.1 has really increased the enjoyment of my PC games for me, my replay of TW2 last week really showed how great surround sound gaming can be.

I've played 20 hours of SR3 and have hardly done any of the main missions. Looking at my stats it seems like the side missions are apart of the total missions and I only have about 15 to go though.
Same here. About 55% of the way through the game and only done 14 of the story missions. Loving the hell out of it, much improved over SR2 even though it has lost most of the customisation options. Kind of like what GTA4 did!

I was wrong about Skyrim? How the fuck do you even draw that shit out?

turtlebeach are shit and not worth 250$, so no I'm not wrong.

TB is heavily overpriced and over rated. 250 bucks for a TB headset is a waste of money.

My guess is RandonVince needs the headset in order to exclaim in prefect clarity how well his fellow gamers make bunches of sticks.

No, he needs perfect audio to
complain
better.

Whats the go with Mortal Kombat (2011) on PS3? Last i read on whirlpool was that ISP's where IP locking out (banning) the game from being played online.

Can someone who is cluey give me a rundown.

Don't think so, I've had it since launch and played it online without any issues.

Yagharek

Awesome, so I'm not allowed to ask for advice here or else it's considered complaining. Time to put ausgaf on ignore.

AusGAF 1-5: Don't ask for advice, we'll tell you you're wrong.

Echoplx

Awesome, so I'm not allowed to ask for advice here or else it's considered complaining. Time to put ausgaf on ignore.

I gave you advice (don't buy TB for 250$) and you said I was wrong. What exactly did you want to hear?

Maybe you should put the 'mate' who recommended you waste your money on ignore.

And a few other people gave you recommendations on what you should buy instead just up the page.

Agyar

Clipper

PS3 issues are finally over. It arrived today and I got an Amazon rep that understood the situation this time. They politely asked to charge my card back for the $300 and thankfully agreed not to recharge shipping.

The only real issue now is that I don't feel like playing the included Uncharted 3 as Skyward Sword will arrive in a day or two. Ah backlogs...

Danoss

Here's a shitload of information my doctor (who was, understandably, hesitant to be named... at least until there are solid studies done) had gathered on the subject. There is quite a lot of information regarding the condition, as well as several treatments, papers and many references as well as personal anecdotes.

I think the placebo effect is coming your way. That woman's video you linked, I couldn't help but laugh at many of the things she said. There is no way that the number of things she claimed were ailments that were cured actually happened. Reflexology would no doubt have given her the same effect.

As I mentioned before, I went to a Chiropractor and he just made me feel worse. I will admit that the University clinic I went to made me feel somewhat better, with the exercises they instructed me to do; they did no adjustments at all.

This episode of Penn and Teller: Bullshit! may show you the side of Chiropractics that is rather disturbing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyG5_jJk7MM (part 2 holds the Chiropractics content here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Sw7De0E7c&t=0m52s)

Shaneus

No, there aren't, because because it's another shonky chiropractic subluxation snake oil treatment for a problem that doesn't exist.
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but if you're flat-out denying that I've been treated for problems that don't exist and my newly found posture is just a result of something other than said treatment that has somehow eluded me for the past 25 or so years up until the last week, then you can go fuck yourself.

PS. This book may be of interest if you're willing to at least entertain the idea that this issue might have some merit behind it.

I think the placebo effect is coming your way. That woman's video you linked, I couldn't help but laugh at many of the things she said. There is no way that the number of things she claimed were ailments that experienced actually happened. Reflexology would no doubt have given here the same effect.
Ain't no placebo effect in my posture. Unless you've lived with standing/walking awkwardly your whole life you have no idea how much time you actually spend thinking about how you carry yourself until you don't have to do it. Take my word for it, or you can join the GFY club right over there with Agyar.

SR3 is so much fun. Tanks make everything a little too easy. Same with calling up and having your notoriety wiped.

This is why I expect Old Republic to go free to play after 12 months at most.

hmm live thread extension ain't working for some reason even though it was working fine after newgaf.
The fact that it doesn't pick up on edits meant I got too frustrated to use it full time. If they can incorporate edit refreshing into it I would probably grab the extension again.

Top Bottom