• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Danoss

I remember wow doing a huge open beta weekend >.<

But server issues dont matter that much really, wow had a shocking first 2 months, but people stuck with it cause the game was great underneath the problems, I think this fixation on server stability is kinda over blown to be honest, and I think their handling of it with Warhammer online helped to kill server community instead of fostering it >.> (Hell, thats been true for most of wows life! lots of problems, but under it all a solid game with a great combat system, although its showing its age now)(And warhammer had 99 other problems too!)

I think EA/Bioware are smart to want to have servers as stable as possible. I think they want people to have every reason to choose their game over WoW. Since WoW servers are relatively stable at the moment, if SWTOR servers aren't when the game is released, it gives people a reason to abandon SWTOR. Some players may go "ah, I'll come back when it's fixed" and may never bother to return.

SWTOR will be compared to WoW at present, not WoW at launch. Bioware really appear to be listening to the community in the most positive way and if it continues, will make WoW look like the dinosaur it is. The launch window is something they have to handle very carefully as it may make or break the game for them and its reputation.

Shaneus

Yeah I think it is a major reason why SC2 and Diablo 3 are coming out after such a long break, they focused on WoW to the point where they made huge bank but then realised they need to leverage the other IP's to keep things going when WoW hits some low points. I wonder if they will spin WoW off into an RTS. World of Warcraft: Moving Tabletop Edition.
Or they could just call it Warcraft. That would make an excellent name for an RTS series, IMO.

Echoplx

Speaking of Dota 2, it's hilarious trolling my housemate about how LoL is going to die because of Dota 2 ;P

(He's a high ranked player apparently)

markot

Banned
Speaking of Dota 2, it's hilarious trolling my housemate about how LoL is going to die because of Dota 2 ;P

(He's a high ranked player apparently)

They are pretty different games. (kinda >.<, although Valve did scare Lol into the 10 million or whatever it was buck season 2)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Did any of my beautiful children get the SMS I sent from JB Bourke St for Zelda pre-orders?

mandiller

Also, anyone buying Tales of the Abyss 3DS tomorrow? The official thread said it's JB exclusive in Australia, so I may get my brother to pick me up a copy tomorrow.

JB were selling copies of it today. I poked my head in and had a look. I wasn't quite sold on it considering there's no reviews so I didn't pick it up. I might get it later if it proves to be good. *haven't played the original*

Choc

Banned
fogz you've played more than me and i used to do it for a living!

284 is my count

i didnt enter any doubles so maybe you guys did? (where for example FIFA 10 showed twice in the list)

hamchan

So, from the AusGAF Game Ranking spreadsheet, I've made the following "Best Of" list for games released this generation.

Games with a perfect 5/5 score:
The Orange Box
The Witcher
Portal 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The remaining top 20 in order:
  1. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  2. Battlefield 2
  3. Fallout: New Vegas
  4. Mirror's Edge
  5. Saints Row 2
  6. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  7. Call of Duty 2
  8. Wii Sports
  9. Burnout Paradise
  10. Resident Evil 4
  11. &#332;kami
  12. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  13. Super Meat Boy
  14. Psychonauts
  15. Super Mario Galaxy

Conversely, here are the top 10 worst games this generation that AusGAF have played:

1. Spore
  2. Mario Kart 7
  3. Age of Empires III
  4. Scribblenauts
  5. Borderlands
  6. Indigo Prophecy
  7. inFamous
  8. Prototype
  9. Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam
  10. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Note: Only Spore and Mario Kart got less than a 2.5/5, and from Infamous onwards, the score was 3/5 and up.

So far, there have been:

107 1/5 Star ratings
240 2/5 Star ratings
554 3/5 Star ratings
700 4/5 Star ratings
445 5/5 Star ratings

The average score given to a game is a 3.5/5 stars. Justin.au was the strictest reviewer, averaging a 2.6/5 stars between all his rankings. choplogulas, Hamchan, x3n05 and Jintor were the most generous, giving a 3.8/5 stars on average.

Jintor, Frawdder and viciouskillersquirrel don't play games they don't like - none of them gave a 1/5 star rating.

Roosters93 thinks no game is perfect, and did not give any game 5/5 stars.

Of the people who have contributed, there has been a combined 2046 games played this generation, with the average person having played 136.

Fogz has played the most games, ranking 304. Hamchan the second most at 280.

Of all the games released this generation, only 94 of them have been played by more than four of the people who went through the rankings.

AAaaand that's all the stats I care to make at the moment. If you want to edit it still, here's the link. You may have to add some cells and fiddle around down the bottom to get all the stats updating nicely, but I can look into doing that in a weeks time if there's significant change in the results. A few people haven't completely finished going through the thing, so yeah, if anything changes, I'll let y'all know.

5/5 Stars

Fascinating, thanks for this. Should go into the OP because it's awesome.

Poor Mario Kart 7, not even out yet and people hate it lol.

justin.au

Did anyone actually finish Spore?

I'd forgotten it existed, to be honest, but now that it has been brought back into my life I can definitely say that it has been the worst game of the generation (for me).

hamchan

Spore is definitely the worst game relative to the amount of hype it had. I think I only put a couple of hours into it and then gave it up because it was so bad.

I enjoyed the start of spore just swimming around getting collectibles but once it got beyond that i found it quite boring. Considering it was once being hyped as GOTY material calling it a disappointment is an understatement.

Dead Man

I was going to make a light-hearted mention of "he chose poorly" and Indy Jones/Last Crusade, but then I noticed the second line. So sorry to hear that, seriously. I'm lucky in that I've only known one person in my extended family to die of cancer (and for that matter, actually die of anything... 3/4 of my grandparents had gone before I was born, the other was from old age but she had dementia) so luckily for me, I can hardly relate... just sympathise.

Of course, on the idea of alternative vs. proven treatment methods involving life or death situations, I'd stick firmly on the side of the latter, and only when those options had been exhausted would I consider being comfortable with someone choosing alternative therapies. About the only time I'd side with someone who made that choice, is when there's little chance of survival or only a small benefit from going through something like chemo, as opposed to having a better quality of life but for a shorter period of time. But it's their choice.

I completely agree with Vince's megapost as well, but it's too late and I'm too tired to try and explain why. It seems to echo my own feelings fairly well.
Nah, it's all good, you need to laugh at life. I sort of put that in there for Indybait anyway :)

Dead Man

giri

I think LoL will be fine as it is substantially different from Dota. HoN on the other hand is just a complete Dota clone so I don't really see a place for it when Dota 2 hits.

i dunno, i don't watch much LoL at all. But the guys i know who play HoN have bascially written it off and are ready to move straight away.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh, and in case anybody was wondering, GAME didn't 'break' the Skyward Sword release date, just like EB Games didn't 'break' Mario 3DS. Word came down from the top that pre orders could be honoured because someone was selling imported stock.

Sirius

Just got back from the Zelda Launch Event @ EB Swanston. Dear god that was brilliant, didn't expect so many people in such awesome cosplay. Looking foward to getting home tomorrow morning and finally trying out Skyward Sword!

Is this Sam Fisher statue worth $28? Not sure if want.

Still 2 more Gig of Batman to download. Fantastic! Not like I was planning on getting it installed this morning so when I come home I can give it a burl. Nice work Capsule!

Couldn't be happier that AusGAF doesn't like inFamous.

For my money, it was the most over-hyped game of the generation.
For my money it is one of the most UNDERrated games of the generation. It was great enough for me to grab Infamous 2 just after it came out because I enjoyed the first one so much.

No more spicks and specks :(
Yeah that was a shock to find out last week. :(

SWTOR will be compared to WoW at present, not WoW at launch. Bioware really appear to be listening to the community in the most positive way and if it continues, will make WoW look like the dinosaur it is. The launch window is something they have to handle very carefully as it may make or break the game for them and its reputation.
Since people have to pay for the game, as well as pay a sub they really need to blow people away in the beginning to avoid dropping the player base too quick. A free massive beta brings in a shitload of people to trial the game and get a taste of it hopefully to the point where they are willing to fork up the initial cost of the game. They really need to get the Marketing train moving too.

Word came down from the top that pre orders could be honoured because someone was selling imported stock.
That doesn't seem like a reason that Publishers would agree with. I thought selling grey imports don't change the release date?

Kritz

Banned
With the extra three reviewers on the chart thing since I last did the stats, it might be enough to get some slightly more accurate stats.

The best / worst game selection I did only included games with more than four reviews - so there were a few bad / good games that weren't being counted because not enough people played them.

I'll also try and get the most popular (widely played), diverse (largest swaying opinion) and probably redo the best / worst of list. Also, maybe some graphs. I'm not sure how to condense this down into an interesting set of graphs, though, as there is so much data.

I'll relink the spreadsheet in the afternoon for anyone who might have missed it, and also post it in the steam chat every now and then for anyone who has the time.

---

On another note, I has a job interview at 10am for a systems support officer role. Considering that's what I've done for two and a half years, I should be qualified enough. It is a group interview, though, and I haven't quite worked out how to stand out in those. Not sure of how to dress, either. Probably just my formal-casual thing I usually do (nice pair of pants, nice button up shirt, clean shave (I'm sorry movember, you were going so well)).

---

Does anyone else ever get super annoyed / worried when somebody doesn't close off the parenthesis / quotes in a paragraph? Like, you're just waiting for it to finally be resolved but they never do it. "Boy I love a good long black in the morning!

But anyway I hope people like the ranking stuff (I know it took me a while to make, at least, so I hope to put it to good use.

Choc

Banned
That doesn't seem like a reason that Publishers would agree with. I thought selling grey imports don't change the release date?

Under the terms of trade it does not but the thing is you can at any time ask a publisher to release a game early and break the date with a sanctioned release.

Obviously Nintendo wanted to fuck game traders up

Kritz

Banned
DEeWm.png

Fogz

Orcs Must Die for US$3.75 seems like a good deal

And of course steam sales HAVE to hit when we've fallen below parity again

Kritz

Banned
AusGAF's most popular games:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 17 reviews
Half-Life 2: Episode One - 17 reviews
Mass Effect - 17 reviews
Assassin's Creed - 16 reviews
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - 15 reviews
BioShock - 15 reviews
The Orange Box - 15 reviews
Grand Theft Auto IV - 15 reviews
Psychonauts - 14 reviews
Civilization IV - 14 reviews
Crackdown - 14 reviews
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 14 reviews
Crysis - 14 reviews
Burnout Paradise - 14 reviews
Fallout 3 - 14 reviews

I gotta go soon, I'll do the rest later.

Shaneus

So, fucking Black Friday sales. I've already seen tempting deals from Steam (Portal 2 is DAMN cheap) and The Oatmeal (the OTHER funnywebcomic). I didn't even think it was Friday in the US!

Edit: Attn: Cookie!
Edit #2: Attn: reptilescorpio! and anyone else thinking of getting RR Vita

Kritz

Banned
Top 10 most opinion-diverse games:

1 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles
2 - Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony
3 - Final Fantasy XII
4 - Infamous
5 - Black
6 - Peggle
7 - Braid
8 - Far Cry 2
9 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
10 - Indigo Prophecy

note: I am not very sure if standard deviation is a very good way to calculate this. Because Assassin's Creed, Bioshock and GTA4 should probably be there somewhere, too.

The least diverse games, using the same method, are the following:
  1. The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
  2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
  3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All
  5. The Orange Box
  6. Portal 2
  7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
  8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  9. Dirt 3
  10. Resistance: Fall of Man

This means that scores given between everyone were more or less the same. So in the example of Resistance, 5/6 people gave it a 3/5 rating, and the sixth person gave it a 4/5.

Top Bottom