• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

I have a reflux issue, sometimes if i choke on food my throat swells up :( so now nothing can go down! not even saliva!
Is it some kind of allergic reaction to something if your throat closes over? Might be able to find out what it is and add/take out stuff to your diet to counteract it. A woman at my old work had a deficiency of some kind that made her have reactions to foods until she started having more nuts (of some kind) and brussel sprouts of all things.

Point out a frustrating area in a game? Well it's obviously because you have the IQ of a rat and just really suck at video games. It couldn't be that the area of the game is poorly designed. I've basically played video games my entire life. I've played all the games in the series. If I found it frustrating, people without that much experience will too.
Every one will have different opinions on situations in games, a lot of people just throw shit at you though rather than try and help see the situation in a different way. UC3 was definitely designed to be played in a very different fashion to UC2. Doesn't mean you are a moron if the game doesn't do it for you, I for one didn't like playing Metroid Prime. Doesn't mean I'm shit at FPS's, just that I didn't enjoy the way they made the game.

I'm still not quite getting the performance I was expecting out of my SSD. I bought a 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 (with the Sandforce chipset) but it doesn't feel like it's much quicker than when I was running off a single 7200rpm 120gb WD SATA drive. Maybe I need a reinstall :/
Those Vertex 2's read up to 285MB/s and write 275MB/s while the new series are about twice as quick.

Why this certainly sounds like a good game!
I think I will take 10 copies!
Only buy if you like Halo Wars as they basically just reskinned it for Starcraft 2. Same with that Dawn of War stuff.

Buy Football Manager 2012 instead, it's only $40

choc will turn this thread around and go straight back home if you kids aren't careful
and
*sigh*

That was awkward.

Ring up customer

"Hello, it's Nick from **** is, **** available please?"
"let me just check"
*puts me on hold* *plan what im going to say*
*they take me off hold "are you there?"
"hi nick!.. i mean ****.. I'm Nick"

:(
lol heartily!

Perhaps you'd be interested in Scientology.
Childish dude.

what are ausgaf's top 5 favourite games, out of interest?
Curse of Monkey Island
Max Payne 2
The Witcher 2
Vanquish
Crash Team Racing
EDIT: Half Life (how the fuck did I forget the best FPS ever?)
EDIT: System Shock 2 (fuck! again! seriously, like the best FPS/RPG ever. Bioshock wishes it was good enough to suck SysShock 2's cock)

They are definitely games that make me smile and want to play them again and enjoy every giddy minute. Also FF7 and Wonder Boy in Monster Land are hallmark games that got me hooked on gaming and will always have a special place in my heart. There are also tons of games that are loved for similar reasons to those above;

CMI - Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle and LeChucks Revenge
MP2 - Uncharted 2, Resi4
TW2 - Planescape Torment, LttP, Alpha Protocol
V - Shadows of the Damned, Killer 7, Saints Row 2
CTR - Crash 3, Jak 1, R&CF 2

Also a special meantion for The Bourne Game for being the biggest surprise game I've played. Cannot fault it in any way and was fantastic from start to finish. Highly recommend to anyone who loves either the TPS genre or the IP.

You're actually going to report me for that?
You really should know that that kind of language is not accepted on GAF by now.

Anyone who doesn't have Crackdown in their top 5 hasn't played Crackdown.
Queue everyone posting "Yah I played it and it was OK I guess"
I played it and it was okay. Solid 3/5. It could have been a LOT better but there really isn't anything else to scratch that itch anyway.

I think I'll base my list on games I've played multiple times and will play them again multiple times

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
Final Fantasy VIII
Curse of Monkey Island
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Zork: Grand Inquisitor
You have impeccable taste.

Yoshi's Island is so in my top 10. And Red Dead Redemption may be my favourite game this generation now that I think about it Codswallop.
Damn RDR will be one that I remember fondly, one of the games of the generation without a doubt. Atmosphere is king in that game, also perfects the GTA mechanics that suit the wild west perfectly. Controls like a dream compared to GTA4 too. The red horse goes the fastest!

They are pretty good, especially with some diane sauce, maybe some mushrooms and some cracked pepper.
215532998_apntB-L-2.jpg

Google should stop toying around and just cure cancer already.

Super Mario World is easily the best Mario game

Like Mario 64 it's a great game, but not necessarily a top tier Mario game. Mario games should be less about exploring and more about straight up platforming challenges. Yoshi's Island gets away with it because it's a largely a Mario game in name only.

Jintor

Batman on PC is a bit of alright, but the main draw is that it's on a PC and now I can take my goddamn time with it. Oh, and it doesn't have an obnoxious overlay over the entire thing.

Shaneus

rs: Do you know if I'd see a difference in performance with either the new Sandforce (apparently they're having issues, though)-based SSDs or whatever else there is if I'm only running a SATA2-capable mobo? I'd happily drop $150 or so for another drive to drop in my PC if it would improve performance markedly. Then, I could put the Vertex 2 in my Thinkpad or DJ/music notebook for totally bitchin' performance.

And AusGAF, I've been thinking about how I'll raise my kids if I ever have any. Media-wise. There'll be no current kids TV shows for them to watch, nor big Hollywood movies. They'll be raised on what I can scrounge up of the best kids shows of the 80s and when they get a little older, I'll be showing them classic comedies like Top Secret (What... phony dog poo?) and Fletch. In their early to mid-teens, they'll be fed nothing but John Hughes teen movies.

Seriously, fuck kids who are watching the new Transformers movies, Pirates of the Carribean and using their basis for stupid humour as all those bland parody "movie" movies. If they need violence, they will have Die Hards 1 and 3 and Big Trouble in Little China. For action, Romancing the Stone and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

God damnit, I'm going to go impregnate some slapper just so I can raise a kid who, without any pushing, will instantly appreciate Community as soon as he can understand words.

Yes, right now I'm watching Top Secret. No kid should grow up without knowing this movie.

Echoplx

rs: Do you know if I'd see a difference in performance with either the new Sandforce (apparently they're having issues, though)-based SSDs or whatever else there is if I'm only running a SATA2-capable mobo? I'd happily drop $150 or so for another drive to drop in my PC if it would improve performance markedly. Then, I could put the Vertex 2 in my Thinkpad or DJ/music notebook for totally bitchin' performance.

And AusGAF, I've been thinking about how I'll raise my kids if I ever have any. Media-wise. There'll be no current kids TV shows for them to watch, nor big Hollywood movies. They'll be raised on what I can scrounge up of the best kids shows of the 80s and when they get a little older, I'll be showing them classic comedies like Top Secret (What... phony dog poo?) and Fletch. In their early to mid-teens, they'll be fed nothing but John Hughes teen movies.

Seriously, fuck kids who are watching the new Transformers movies, Pirates of the Carribean and using their basis for stupid humour as all those bland parody "movie" movies. If they need violence, they will have Die Hards 1 and 3 and Big Trouble in Little China. For action, Romancing the Stone and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

God damnit, I'm going to go impregnate some slapper just so I can raise a kid who, without any pushing, will instantly appreciate Community as soon as he can understand words.

Yes, right now I'm watching Top Secret. No kid should grow up without knowing this movie.

Make him a Scientologist while you're at it.

Yagharek

Kids should be free to watch whatever they want. Otherwise I'd be a fan of Lionel Long and Dolly Parton songs like my Dad is, and Beatles/Elvis as my mum is.

Any kids I have can watch/play what they want (age/maturity level appropriate of course) with only six conditions, being that they see:

1. Film - Bladerunner
2. TV - MacGuyver
3. Book - I, Robot
4. Music - Thriller (album)
5. Games - Super Mario Bros (original)
6. Internet - no facebook

only #6 will actually be enforced, the rest are just good ideas. But seeing as I'll play/watch/read the others at some point, exposure to them is inevitable

Shaneus

Make him a Scientologist while you're at it.
Hm. Not getting into that again. I'll happily update those in here with changes (both positive and negative) for those curious but I'm not going to get caught up in any slinging matches about what I may have experienced or am going through, or any arguments that were unnecessarily brought up in this thread.

Ugh, this copy of Top Secret is the same as the DVD one. Music mixed at far higher levels than the speech track, meaning I'm constantly reaching for the remote :/

Kids should be free to watch whatever they want. Otherwise I'd be a fan of Lionel Long and Dolly Parton songs like my Dad is, and Beatles/Elvis as my mum is.

Any kids I have can watch/play what they want (age/maturity level appropriate of course) with only six conditions, being that they see:

1. Film - Bladerunner
2. TV - MacGuyver
3. Book - I, Robot
4. Music - Thriller (album)
5. Games - Super Mario Bros (original)

only #6 will actually be enforced, the rest are just good ideas
Same wavelength, broseph. Obviously I'd have slightly different choices, but there will be (somewhat) mandatory viewing. Ferris Beuller's Day Off would be somewhere in that list, too.

I actually think that parents being at least a little restrictive (or at least, strongly influential) in regards to what their kids enjoy as far as media goes can only be a good thing. They'd get the benefits of years of filtering from the last 30 or so years of movies/TV etc. but also be allowed to make their own choice. It kinda disappoints me that my nephews are more than happy to watch Generic Kids Show #43 or Pixar Movie #4 when there's so much more they could be absorbing. 40 or so years of Disney flicks, a good 20-30 of kids cartoons, all forsaken for whatever's being marketed the heaviest at that current moment.

I can't wait until my eldest nephew can kinda read by himself, as I have a box set of Dr. Seuss books that I can't wait to read with him. He's about 3 years 6 months now, I reckon mid-next year should be perfect as a birthday gift.

Shaneus

OH SHIT, the cell/vent scene in Top Secret! The first bit where he meets Dr. Flammond!

Doctor Flamond: You see, a year ago, I was close to perfecting the first magnetic desalinization process so revolutionary, it was capable of removing the salt from over 500 million gallons of seawater a day. Do you realize what that could mean to the starving nations of the earth?
Nick Rivers: Wow. They'd have enough salt to last forever.

Echoplx

Hm. Not getting into that again. I'll happily update those in here with changes (both positive and negative) for those curious but I'm not going to get caught up in any slinging matches about what I may have experienced or am going through, or any arguments that were unnecessarily brought up in this thread.

Woah there! I'm indifferent on the whole thing, was just making a joke :p

Deeku

Pretty sure I will monitor the crap out of my kid's internet usage. No way are they gonna get into that "buy a toy and play a free mmo" bs that kids are into these days. It's going to be Legos, books and maybe some video games depending on what games are out in like 15 years. No iphones or whatever either until they're responsible enough! And I'm gona make them play the piano!

Echoplx

You guys are gonna be hated by your kids, just sayin'

How would you feel if your parents tried to control everything you ever did in your life, especially during that 'rebellious' phase.

Yagharek

You guys are gonna be hated by your kids, just sayin'

How would you feel if your parents tried to control everything you ever did in your life, especially during that 'rebellious' phase.

My Dad made me watch Alien and Aliens when I was about 10. Scared the shit out of me and I loved it.

Pretty sure I will monitor the crap out of my kid's internet usage. No way are they gonna get into that "buy a toy and play a free mmo" bs that kids are into these days. It's going to be Legos, books and maybe some video games depending on what games are out in like 15 years. No iphones or whatever either until they're responsible enough! And I'm gona make them play the piano!

Just on that, if my kids ever want lego or meccanno, there is no way I'll stop them. It might be expensive, but there's a life lesson in earning money there, and they are the perfect toy to play around with. Freeform, adaptable, encourage imagination and you get to learn about tactile stuff like building and engineering without the maths scaring you away.

Kritz

Banned
I think I'm discovering why it's a bad idea to apply ~5000 cells with formulas in them into a google docs spreadsheet with 12 people in it.

Yagharek

I think I'm discovering why it's a bad idea to apply ~5000 cells with formulas in them into a google docs spreadsheet with 12 people in it.

A masterpiece in industrial design, functionality and a true pioneer of intellectual fortitude. 5/0 - kritz.net

It's not the job of a parent to be their kids friend.

Quoted for maximum truth.

Parents wanting to be their kids friend is part of what's wrong with kids these days.

My parents were strict and sure, there were times when I felt like I hated them because of it, but the discipline and respect that they taught me is something that I still carry with me today. Something that a lot of kids these days seem to seriously lack.

Get off my lawn etc.

Deeku

Just on that, if my kids ever want lego or meccanno, there is no way I'll stop them. It might be expensive, but there's a life lesson in earning money there, and they are the perfect toy to play around with. Freeform, adaptable, encourage imagination and you get to learn about tactile stuff like building and engineering without the maths scaring you away.
I have 2 storage boxes of all the legos I ever had all mixed up together. I'm going to give them that and let them go nuts. A lot of the lego these days is not lego-y enough! But yeah, couldn't agree more with what you said.

Jintor said:
lololololololol

but what about swot shop
:eek:

Never heard of swot shop, I looked it up and it's for gifted kids which explains why lol.

Back then it was all about Kumons and Northshore! But I never went to Northshore because I already got into my school so I didn't need that Northshore edge for selective school tests or whatever.

Protip: enrol your kids now if you want them in a certain private school. It's never too early!

Yagharek

I have 2 storage boxes of all the legos I ever had all mixed up together. I'm going to give them that and let them go nuts. A lot of the lego these days is not lego-y enough! But yeah, couldn't agree more with what you said.

There is nothing quite like opening a new lego set (especially technic or lego space) and putting it together to see what makes it tick. Then taking it apart and making your own. I think you need both the "complex kit with instructions" experience as well as the "build your own" one.

That said, I'd personally prefer to keep away from the licensed IP Lego kits like star wars (yuck), harry potter or pirates of the carribean. Generic space/medieval/city style lego is more my thing. The new kits seem to be all about the brand and not the imagination that a Lego Moon Walker or Intergalactic Mission Commander with separate landing pod and moon buggy might inspire.

On the healthy food wagon! Picked up a fresh crusty loaf sliced and some hummus from Safeway. Also drinking a Becks since they were on special for $30 at Dan's. Don't judge me.

Shit also forgot GTA3 which is one of the most influential games of all time in my opinion!

Also, you're a bit late, the "berate Danoss for not drinking the Kool-Aid" party finished a while ago.
Not berating at all. Just don't think it is fair to pidgeon hole anyone who is into natural/alternative medicines as a Scientologist.

Some of the posts have been a little more pointed than expected. I personally have no interest in seeing a doctor, let alone someone who will touch my precious bones, but after seeing all the shit my friends have been through with cancer and leukemia treatments I disagree with the notion that if it doesn't have 15 scientific journals and $5 billion worth of pharmacutical funding behind it, the treatment (or whatever they want to call it) won't improve the quality of life for someone. Shit, the last dozen or so treatments for our close friend who had breast cancer were focused on maximising the amount of time she could stand during the day. If Shaneus (or anyone else) feels the courage/motivation to go out and do something they were too self-concious to do before then the $250 will have been well spent. If he came in here and said it was going to make him a Superman and prevent cancer then I would have laughed at him but he was restrained enough with his description that I thought it was another interesting avenue for people to try if they have the interest. Also I am not religious.

rs: Do you know if I'd see a difference in performance with either the new Sandforce (apparently they're having issues, though)-based SSDs or whatever else there is if I'm only running a SATA2-capable mobo?
SATA3 is required for the new controller I am fairly certain so I don't think you can take advantage of the quicker drives. Maybe think about an upgrade when the next GPU's hit.

1. Film - Bladerunner & Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. TV - MacGuyver & Simpsons Seasons 3-10
3. Book - I, Robot
4. Music - Thriller & Queen Greatest Hits 1&2
5. Games - Super Mario Bros & Link to the Past
Agreed wholeheartedly and added my conditions. Don't think that keeping him off Facebook full time will be hard as I want to keep him active and give him plenty of options for after school activities. Jack of all trades hopefully until he works out what he enjoys best in High School some time. Most parents I know that have a problem with their kids sitting on the internet all day is because they aren't/weren't willing to go out and do things with them.

Jintor

The sound design for Rayman Origins is at the very least the equal, if not superior to, the art design. It's fucking amazing.

Dead Man

There is nothing quite like opening a new lego set (especially technic or lego space) and putting it together to see what makes it tick. Then taking it apart and making your own. I think you need both the "complex kit with instructions" experience as well as the "build your own" one.

That said, I'd personally prefer to keep away from the licensed IP Lego kits like star wars (yuck), harry potter or pirates of the carribean. Generic space/medieval/city style lego is more my thing. The new kits seem to be all about the brand and not the imagination that a Lego Moon Walker or Intergalactic Mission Commander with separate landing pod and moon buggy might inspire.

The greatest Lego kit of all time:

The number of things I made from that kit was unreal.

Ydahs

My missus and I just had a baby girl and I've never felt this stoked before!
Congrats :D
Brilliant
YnN01.jpg

THAT IS ALL.
I had convinced myself that I do not need the limited edition. You have now convinced me that I do.

Also, anyone buying Tales of the Abyss 3DS tomorrow? The official thread said it's JB exclusive in Australia, so I may get my brother to pick me up a copy tomorrow.

hamchan

Also, anyone buying Tales of the Abyss 3DS tomorrow? The official thread said it's JB exclusive in Australia, so I may get my brother to pick me up a copy tomorrow.

I want to but I can't find it on their online store! No JBs in a convenient spot near me too.

Yagharek

Not berating at all. Just don't think it is fair to pidgeon hole anyone who is into natural/alternative medicines as a Scientologist.

Some of the posts have been a little more pointed than expected. I personally have no interest in seeing a doctor, let alone someone who will touch my precious bones, but after seeing all the shit my friends have been through with cancer and leukemia treatments I disagree with the notion that if it doesn't have 15 scientific journals and $5 billion worth of pharmacutical funding behind it, the treatment (or whatever they want to call it) won't improve the quality of life for someone. Shit, the last dozen or so treatments for our close friend who had breast cancer were focused on maximising the amount of time she could stand during the day. If Shaneus (or anyone else) feels the courage/motivation to go out and do something they were too self-concious to do before then the $250 will have been well spent. If he came in here and said it was going to make him a Superman and prevent cancer then I would have laughed at him but he was restrained enough with his description that I thought it was another interesting avenue for people to try if they have the interest. Also I am not religious.

Examples like this are why I am always highly skeptical of alternative medicine:

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/specials/desperateremedies/default.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/austory/specials/desperateremediestwo/default.htm

This is/was a very high profile case in WA in recent years.

This week's program tells the story of Penelope Dingle and an untimely death that's rebounded on those closest to her in unpredictable ways.
Mrs Dingle was a former model and actor married to a TV science guru. At the age of 43 she was diagnosed with a common cancer regarded as highly curable if it’s caught early...
But, in baffling circumstances, she turned her back on conventional medicine – with far reaching consequences for almost everyone concerned.

If someone is taking clove oil or horseradish for flu symptoms or rheumatoid arthritis, I don't get bothered so much. But I take issue when alternative medicine practitioners start ingraining a culture of deceit in the community - where they make claims that they can cure cancer or state that immunisation is dangerous. These people are costing lives and quality of life; preying on people's fear of death and mistrust of science.

There is a simple principle about 'alternative medicine' that needs to be applied (and unfortunately is not applied as often as needs be).

That principle is this: if you can show that your method works, and that it has concrete, measurable and repeatable benefits, then it no longer is 'alternative' and becomes part of prefix-free medicine. If you cannot prove something works, or has a known range of results, why should you trust it?
An obvious answer is desperation, for a lot of terminally ill patients

The same reason we laugh at reports of traditional Asian 'doctors' prescribing endangered Indonesian pygmy hippopotamus foreskin salt for suppressed libido or Bengal tiger penis is the same reason we should be highly suspicious of 1:10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 diluted solutions as per homeopathy, or violent spinal manipulation of infants whose bones are not meant to be contorted in such ways.

If any of my closest family tried to use a chiropractor/homeopathist/reiki/spiritual healer for a serious illness, I would tell them why it was wrong. Crushing someone's hope through cold hard reality might be seen as a bad thing, but surely giving the same person false hope for an exotic fee is a far worse crime?

Top Bottom