• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few of us bought games during their 50% off sale and elected store pick-up to get our games.
I did the same. Placed an order for 3 games to pickup from Chadstone in Melbourne at 10:30am Wed. I received a confirmation email at 11:30 and another at 14:30 for the same order.

I called at 16:15 and they'd only just made it to orders made at 9am at that store. Received my 'ready for pickup' email at 19:00, an hour after the store closed.

Picked up the order at 16:30 Thurs and it turns out the guy doing internet orders was the guy that usually does computer repairs, and he was the only one. Poor guy was swamped.

jambo

I did the same. Placed an order for 3 games to pickup from Chadstone in Melbourne at 10:30am Wed. I received a confirmation email at 11:30 and another at 14:30 for the same order.

I called at 16:15 and they'd only just made it to orders made at 9am at that store. Received my 'ready for pickup' email at 19:00, an hour after the store closed.

Picked up the order at 16:30 Thurs and it turns out the guy doing internet orders was the guy that usually does computer repairs, and he was the only one. Poor guy was swamped.

I placed my order at about 12:30 on Wed, got a confirmation email at 13:09 and that's the last I've heard from them, so nothing for 2 and a half days =\

I placed my order at about 12:30 on Wed, got a confirmation email at 13:09 and that's the last I've heard from them, so nothing for 2 and a half days =\

Have you tried calling the store? Mine had no idea how long it would take but at least they knew there was a sale on.

That or just pop in if it's close by.

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
I ordered 2 games from harveys wednesday afternnon, then two more wednesday night,I got pick up emails about 10am and 3pm the next day and picked them up last night.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
MD, where's good to go out in the cbd on a saturday night?

I went to a place a while back, buffalo club that was pretty alright. But I've been told its closed now. It was pretty much a fitzroy type scene but bigger then anything in fitzroy coz it was in the CBD

Edit: and you post 5 seconds after me. Spoooky.

HolyCheck

What sort of 'go out'? I posted a few places a couple of pages back.

Go out, have a beer, have some cool music playing in the background that allows for hipsters to stand around semi drunk dancingish.

By cool I mean indie, or electronica or something a bit different, ie some weird slow drum and bass or anything really that's not top 40 rubbish/kanye

Ill have a look for your post when I get home, cheers for the heads up.

Go out, have a beer, have some cool music playing in the background that allows for hipsters to stand around semi drunk dancingish.
Hmm that I can't help with. I'd rather go to an 1806, a Madame Brussels, a Golden Monkey, a Bond Bar or a Gin Palace than a pub nowadays. It's what happens when you get older.

Rezbit

Hmm that I can't help with. I'd rather go to an 1806, a Madame Brussels, a Golden Monkey, a Bond Bar or a Gin Palace than a pub nowadays. It's what happens when you get older.

Oh man. You're right. I ain't even that old! Started with nightclubs, got over them by age 21, moved on to pubs, and now I'm sick of them on Friday and Saturday nights at age 26. I'd rather have a quiet chilled out beer somewhere. 1806 is amazing-tier hang out, but cocktails can be expensive. And it feels weird getting a beer there. The Croft Institute isn't too bad either if the DJ doesn't play the songs too loudly. Madame Brussels is cool but a bit girly. Cookie is alright, as is Rooftop at the same building, though they get busy on the weekend.

I miss the Melbourne social life :(

These are all (mostly) quiet places to get a nice mixed drink as opposed to a pub which I equate with standing up, loud music and lots of drinking. Of beer. Which I also like.

jambo

Have you tried calling the store? Mine had no idea how long it would take but at least they knew there was a sale on.

That or just pop in if it's close by.

Not yet, I'll call them tomorrow most likely.

When I was in the store on the day of the sale none of the floor staff knew about it. They were checking computers until one of the managers came over and confirmed there was a sale, but online only.

MD, where's good to go out in the cbd on a saturday night?

I went to a place a while back, buffalo club that was pretty alright. But I've been told its closed now. It was pretty much a fitzroy type scene but bigger then anything in fitzroy coz it was in the CBD

Edit: and you post 5 seconds after me. Spoooky.

Pubs, not sure. The ones I go to nowadays aren't in the cbd but there's tweet Belgian beer garden near Flinders and pony who play alt music, cherry bar in AC DC lane. Clubs, bang is good for alt music like punk, metalcore and it has a dance room too.

Those are my standard suggestions, I don't go out as much as I should.

My drinking and socializing is done at home nowadays because cheaper. I gabber been craving a pub crawl though. When I get more money to burn I spose.

Edit: you could go to thelions hotel in Melb central if you don't mind a slightly less Saturday nighty type crowd, they seem to have a fair amount of regulars. Even that pub on fed square isn't bad.

HolyCheck

Pubs, not sure. The ones I go to nowadays aren't in the cbd but there's tweet Belgian beer garden near Flinders and pony who play alt music, cherry bar in AC DC lane. Clubs, bang is good for alt music like punk, metalcore and it has a dance room too.

Those are my standard suggestions, I don't go out as much as I should.

My drinking and socializing is done at home nowadays because cheaper. I gabber been craving a pub crawl though. When I get more money to burn I spose.

Edit: you could go to thelions hotel in Melb central if you don't mind a slightly less Saturday nighty type crowd, they seem to have a fair amount of regulars. Even that pub on fed square isn't bad.

i'd heard of pony before in a song! interesting.

i have a friend down from adelaide figured id try and find some where, but the place i wantedd to go to is closed down.. figures

Rezbit

If you want something a bit grungier (dirtier?) you could always go to IDGAFF on Hoddle St. But that involves going to Hoddle St....

HolyCheck

nah dont want dirtier, friends fair mainstream but i cant stand it. trying to find a unique nice place!

ty all for suggestions

Elephant and wheelbarrow. Has a live band that plays terrible cover music I think.

Prob other places around it!

That place is good. Very crowded, cover band is alright, atmos was good. Shitty street though, lots of dumbass drunks, so be way of that. More sensibles in the city, but more bums. More drink dickheads in St kilda but better pubs. Hmmmm

HolyCheck

That place is good. Very crowded, cover band is alright, atmos was good. Shitty street though, lots of dumbass drunks, so be way of that. More sensibles in the city, but more bums. More drink dickheads in St kilda but better pubs. Hmmmm

yeah no way im going to st kilda lol.

might just troll the fitzroy bars :(

Clipper

SydGAD, just thought I'd share what's waiting for you in two weeks time. Here's what the Munchkin stacks look like (with a handful of other cards thrown into the stacks as separators, just in case we decide not to use the whole set on the day).
photo-93.jpg

SO yeah, here's hoping we can actually get a date we can stick to...

I have good things to say about my local Harvey Norman. I got the email yesterday at lunch that my order was ready to pickup but on arriving at the store they had no idea about it and the games dude had already gone home.

Same deal when I turned up today but the games dude explained that the online orders are handled offsite and they don't get told about them except for a email telling them to take an item off the shelf/from out back and put it at the counter for a certain person to pickup.

He just went over to the games section, grabbed a copy of Motorstorm Appoccalips and apologised for the confusion. I can now Motorstorm it up tonight!

Although I might do a cheevo run on Minerva's Den instead.... Also got the Protector Trials for 200 points the other day too!

EDIT: Also We are through the looking glass people! Molly Deux!

HolyCheck

I caught a band a couple weeks back in fitzroy and enjoyed myself... not the worst area to troll bars IMO

yeh its pretty good to troll, just some times some of the places can be a bit too packed because theyre all so small. there are a few places on the side streets i might check out though

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sorry Battlestar, you're too goofy. I'm out.

HolyCheck

Are you sure you didn't accidently put the 1980s BSG series in your DVD drive when you were really trying to watch the 2004 TV series?!

I own the original movie on DVD. Holy shit is it bad. You can see the cells that the ships are printed on moving around the screen

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are you sure you didn't accidently put the 1980s BSG series in your DVD drive when you were really trying to watch the 2004 TV series?!

I wish :(.

BG 2004 has an awesome premise, cool characters and plenty of good ideas, there's just too much soapy cheese I have to dig through to get to the good stuff. And, given my love for videogames and tripe like Mass Effect, my bar was already set pretty low. I can't invest myself enough to care about watching.

So I quit halfway through the first season, skipped through the remaining episodes, and read a summary on how the show pans out.

I am very happy with my decision.

McLaren Vale Ale = YES! Fruity and tasty! Moar!
1) It won people's choice beer a few year back.
2) It's not brewed in McLaren Vale, but Sydney, according to the brewer at Goodieson, which definitely does brew in McLaren Vale. I visited both places a few weeks back and Vale Ale doesn't seem to me like they have any onsite equipment.
3) Try the Vale Ale Wit Bier when it becomes available. Delicious.

Danoss

I've got a cobbled together Chicken Parmigiana in the oven as I type this. Will it be an absolute disaster? We'll soon find out!

Though I am sure most fans of the Chicken Parma will laugh at it and tell me it's fucking horrible.

Danoss

Don't let Holy see pictures!

Don't worry, I doubt it'll make him hungry.

LEUd1.jpg

Yes, that's tasty cheese on top, I wish I had mozzarella but I don't feel up to going to the shops to get some.

Underneath that is some Bertolli Parmigiana pasta sauce, which covers some pre-cooked eggplant slices and a supermarket-bought schnitzel. Like I said, it's cobbled together.

It's nothing special, but it's my dinner tonight. It's better than toast, which is what I really had the energy to cook, but I soldiered on for something slightly less shit.

HolyCheck

fancy stuff!

next time you should give thinning and crumbing your own a go! it's quite fun.

Give it a go with chips and gravy too :)

Danoss

I totally will Holy! This really needs some work, but it'll do for what it is. The breading is far too thick on this and it's really walking all over the other ingredients. The tasty cheese is also far too heavy.

Breading yourself is easy as hell and so much better. I make a nice lemon and garlic crumbed chicken, can't get stuff like that in the shops that's any good.

Danoss

That sounds absolutely delicious.

I was only introduced to Chicken Katsu at a Japanese restaurant by some work colleagues a little while ago and wondered where it had been all my life. Nice job man!

Just ran through Journey. It's certainly stunning audio-visualy and some of the views are evocative but as a whole game package it didn't quite do it for me. Felt more like an interactive multimedia piece than anything and that's fine, but it's not really my deal.

I don't feel like I wasted the time I spent with it, but I'm glad I game shared my brother's copy.

Ventron

I just played Kid Icarus for the first time today. I thought the complaints about the controls were a bit of a beat up...

...until I played. My hand... owie....

(Borrowed it from a friend, so I didn't use the stand)

Danoss

Wagamama? If so, Golden Curry (which is quite widely available) is basically the sauce they use.

Nah, it was some restaurant on York street in Sydney CBD. It was a black sauce that was used for dipping or adding as you pleased. The best way I could describe it was BBQ sauce with some soy added, but that doesn't do it justice at all.

It was better value than Wagamama too, I believe. Lunch box for $15 that came with katsu, rice, sushi, tofu, noodle thingies, a spring roll thingie, miso soup, sauces and wasabi and green tea. I didn't even eat half of it and could barely walk afterwards, I was so full.

Thanks Danoss. Now I have a real fucking hankering for a Bento and nowhere to get one.

Also the gf already said she won't make me Katsudon tonight because we had it last week. And it is 10pm.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom