• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Dick Smith sale is all but a sham? Various Ozbargainers report that almost everything has been reserved by the DSE staff. Especially consoles and accessories. :X

I was in such a good mood after discovering GFW was back I ended up giving a pretty girl on the bus my number and walking her half way home.

Considering that I had to leave home at 6:30 to head into class on a Saturday only to discover all the trains were canceled, this afternoon ended pretty decently.

Now if every day could have something I adore come back, I'd have no more problems at all.
Maybe that pretty girl will become an adoration for you :)

So the Dick Smith sale is all but a sham? Various Ozbargainers report that almost everything has been reserved by the DSE staff. Especially consoles and accessories. :X
Sounds no different to any other big liquidation sale. Considering they may be out of a job soon I am not too annoyed. Only way to see for sure is to turn up on Monday morning and see what is different to today.

Fogz

Stopped by my Dick Smiths while in town. Got heaps and heaps of games but nothing in the way of consoles. Massive stack of 3000 moon points though ;)

Agyar

Stopped by my Dick Smiths while in town. Got heaps and heaps of games but nothing in the way of consoles. Massive stack of 3000 moon points though ;)

I'd love to get some cheap allards, so I'll drop into the local Dick Smith before work on Monday. That said I'm expecting nothing.

Yagharek

Pretty sure I said the other day all the good deals would be hoarded by dse staff. If ulyou had listened you could have saved a lot of effort :p

The staff at my store have no idea what's going on. Were about 6 DSIs there, heaps of MS points, and that was about it really. I'd really just like to get a couple years of XBL Gold, wouldn't mind picking up a DSI if they still have them.

Gazunta

Xbox LIVE is a product that is independent of the console you use it on. In other words, if you were a OG Xbox LIVE subscriber when the 360 came out, your subscription was valid for the new console too.

Did anyone here go to Oz Comic Con in Adelaide this weekend?

Cohsae

It's clearly a parody. Although those people do exist. But in this instance it's a parody based on a show which is actually being made. The Shire will be the Aus version of Jersey Shore.
Was funny to me because not being a Sydneysider I'd had no exposure to the Hobbits until becoming friends with a Cronulla girl at uni last year and seeing how fucking obsessed with the Shire they all are.

Yagharek

Not really, but being the greedy bastards that they are, they might not let you carry over subscriptions to the new system.

They made you pay for Xbox 1 dlc again if you wanted it on 360. My money is on them not making xbla as easy a transfer as it should be...

Actually the renaming to SEN makes me more comfortable that they will support old purchases with the PS4.

Also Anchorman is still sooooooooooooooo good. Finished my last glass of scotch for the next 4 months :(

Bernbaum

I wish :(.

BG 2004 has an awesome premise, cool characters and plenty of good ideas, there's just too much soapy cheese I have to dig through to get to the good stuff. And, given my love for videogames and tripe like Mass Effect, my bar was already set pretty low. I can't invest myself enough to care about watching.

So I quit halfway through the first season, skipped through the remaining episodes, and read a summary on how the show pans out.

I am very happy with my decision.

Fair enough.

The show gets great throughout season 2, and sets some high expectations for a conclusion which is far from obtained in season 4. I'd say the Battlestar Pegasus and Resurrection ship era of season 2 was when BSG was at its strongest. Some of the New Caprica stuff isn't too bad either, even if it meant a dramatic change in tone and direction for the show.

There are a few good standalone episodes thoughout season 3 and 4, but because the show disappears up an existential philosophical butthole, any written synopsis of 'things that actually happen' is going to be a very disappointing read indeed.

Yagharek

Doesn't sound like Sony is going to anything better, if recent rumours prove true.

I don't expect them to make it easy either, they've proven BC is expendable. I expect BC for Wii u, but that's based on dsiware transfers. It will be fiddly I bet.

Every generation brings nasty surprises though. Something will go wrong, like region locking or bad battery life equivalents.

If Sony are going with an architecture change from Cell to AMD x64, don't expect anything from PS3 or earlier to work at all. At this point, Microsoft stuff would have a better chance, at least technically.

Sorry to hear about the booze, Reptile. I'll pour one out
into my mouth
for you.

Agreed, Bern, I mentioned BSG hit its peak in season 2 a few pages back. After the season finale (or was it mid?) where New Caprica started it headed south. What actually happens in those middle seasons is not nearly important as the tension created, just like what happens in The Wire isn't as important as how it's handled... not that BSG is any where near The Wire. You might call it The Wire Of Sci-Fi, though... It's a pretty low bar.

Danoss

Paging Danoss and Codswallop.
Ah get Scotch, let it breath. Drink with a little water or neat.

Last bottle was Lagavulin. Was fantastic.

I'll find an old post I made about it and edit it in here if no posts are below this in the interim. My head is hurting too much for me to try and type out anything substantial.

Jintor

Persona 4: The Animation was decent all up. Probably wouldn't have meant as much to me if I hadn't watched the Endurance run first though. Goddamn they better have a GB dub.

Teach me how to appreciate scotch please

Try different brands! With and without added water! Or with ice! Purists (Danoss :) will tell you no ice since making it cold mutes the flavour. If you need/prefer to do that, do it anyway (just know that it doesn't taste as strong that way).

You don't have to like it. Maybe you'll like it in a few years. The best advice is to try different brands, blends and ages to see if you hate them all or just certain tastes.

Did anyone go to any Australian Molyjam? So would've loved to have participated somehow.

Fogz

Persona 4: The Animation was decent all up. Probably wouldn't have meant as much to me if I hadn't watched the Endurance run first though. Goddamn they better have a GB dub.

I thought it was great. Haven't seen the last episode yet, but apparently there is a "true ending" episode coming in august sometime

Danoss

Teach me how to appreciate scotch please

From an older post of mine, but no less relevant.

Danoss said:
The best tip is to drink it whichever way you like most.

Now to enter elitist jerk mode. The best way to drink it is either neat or with some water. The higher the percentage of alcohol, the more water you will want in there. 40% is the lowest it will go and still be allowed to be called Scotch. No water is really required here as it has already been watered down, though depending on what it is, sometimes a drop or two can help it to open up.

When you pour a dram of Scotch and add water (or not) let it air for about 10 minutes, this allows the full flavours to present themselves to you when you get into it. Take your time, there's no rush. Smell it, just inhale gently, you don't want to overwhelm yourself, try the gentle inhale whilst passing the glass under your nose. Sip it, roll it around on your tongue and experience the different flavours and enjoy (and get used to) the burn. Don't be discouraged if you can't pick flavours or scents out to begin with or even after many months of drinking Scotch, it's all part of the journey.

To begin with, since you haven't been drinking Scotch this way, you'll initially be getting used to the burning sensation. It can be difficult to begin with, but you will acclimatise soon enough. Buy something cheaper, perhaps Teacher's (that's my preferred blend, quite malty) or something similar around 40% and use that to initiate yourself in the burning sensation. Have one dram per night with water (maybe a few drops or a teaspoon or two) and gradually decrease the amount of water you put in until you are having it neat. You will soon come to like it and discover that the burn can be a characteristic on its own.

The reason I'm not mentioning ice is that it inhibits the enjoyment of a good single malt whisky for me and many others. It mutes the flavours of the whisky without diluting it at all. Think of how different a beer tastes cold vs warm, except whisky tastes best at room temperature, so drinking it with ice is essentially the equivalent to drinking a warm beer. That said, I have scotch blends (like Teacher's mentioned above) with ice, but never a single malt because to me it's a waste.

You can take as much of this as you like as snobbery, but it should at least be a good starting point for you to get into drinking it and finding what you like best. The world of scotch whisky is vast and well worth exploring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom