• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
No, it says Say-gah, just with the "aye" sound a bit off. Can't you hear the excessive audio clipping? The Megadrive wasn't known for it's awesome sound chip like the SNES was.

Ooh-bee-soft

clearly says SEE GAH

also

lol
522196_10150641486476246_651901245_9640507_1027547562_n.jpg

midonnay

But Sega isn't a Japanese word nor is it Japanese in origin - it started in Hawaii from memory. It stands for Service Games (Se Ga) and was concatenated from that.

there are tens of thousands of japanese words that are bastardised versions of english though....

eg: word processor can be waa poo roh

ps: according to google, sehgah is the pronunciation for masturbation in Italy hence some games trying to change the pronunciation to See gah....

are they taking the piss or for real?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Haha Fremantle. Never to win a flag.

I've got statute of limitations imposed with my cousins wife, if the Dockers don't win a flag before we're 50 (24 years away) then after that she can't rub it in if they win a flag.

I'm confident in my bet.

midonnay

the annoying thing is they're hyped up virtually every year nowadays....

yeah, they have the team this year...its their year...

every fucking year....it isn't >_<

the annoying thing is they're hyped up virtually every year nowadays....

yeah, they have the team this year...its their year...

every fucking year....it isn't >_<

At least us Richmond supporters have just given up hope. If we don't finish last we have a party! And with GWS and GC, parties every year!

midonnay

I dunno. Doesn't really matter. Would make more sense if it was see-gah. SErvice GAmes. The SE is SEE. The GA is a GAH.

Maybe the Americans have dumbed me down.

&#26666;&#24335;&#20250;&#31038;&#12475;&#12460; is their incorporated name

the last two letters say sehgah >_<

/end weeaboo defense force

Clipper

I hate people that say you-chube. Like, what the hell?

Hmm... I'll have to try to remember not to mention YouTube at any future SydGAF that you come along to...

Although my pronunciation is definitely a tchube rather than a chube. Same way I pronounce Tuesday. The difference is subtle, so I don't know if that's the type of pronunciation you dislike or not, though... I can't seem to avoid the inserted 'ch' without slowing down my speech immensely, which makes me consider it to be more part of the Aussie accent than an error...

Deeku

By the way midonnay, I ordered those Makino grammar books you suggested and they arrived this morning. I was just flipping through the beginner one, and omg it's amazing! Like, the onomatopoeia section, I never learnt any of this stuff properly in uni!

Hmm... I'll have to try to remember not to mention YouTube at any future SydGAF that you come along to...

Although my pronunciation is definitely a tchube rather than a chube. Same way I pronounce Tuesday. Is that what you have a problem with? I can't seem to avoid the inserted 'ch' without slowing down my speech immensely, which makes me consider it to be more part of the Aussie accent than an error...

It's part of the accent. Deek's just anal. I wonder if you get annoyed when people say Cay-dee instead of Kay-tee for Katie.

midonnay

but see gah doesn't make sense

if you're using service games as the etymology

technically you should be pronouncing it Suh Gah as in yes sir

Jintor

You're a kid in the US?

Hahahahaha, have fun with that =P

This is the worst

and by worst, I mean coping with Las Vegas without alcohol is probably impossible

I've only been here about 5 hours and I think I've already had my fill of Vegas

midonnay

By the way midonnay, I ordered those Makino grammar books you suggested and they arrived this morning. I was just flipping through the beginner one, and omg it's amazing! Like, the onomatopoeia section, I never learnt any of this stuff properly in uni!

they're expensive :x

I have the first one, but use the other two in the library

but yeah, tonnes of example sentences (there is an anki deck in the shared repository so you don't even have to type them up.....although watch out for the odd error)

Deeku

How do you say it? you-toob?

That's very American of you.
The way I say any tu word - you-tee-yoob..but quicker.

I think clipper is right though. When you say the tube part quickly, it sorta starts to morph into a t-choob, which is fair enough. But there is still a "te" sound in there!

People that just outright say youchooob, chooouesday, chooolip, chooona...terrible.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I have to back Megadrive on that one actually, the games that had the audio on the SEGA logo always said SAY GAH, as that youtube vid clearly shows. Personally my friends and I still pronounced SEGA as SEE GAH, and that was the way it was pronounced in the Aussie ads as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPI9ceIKCpQ

You hate Australians? :p

then my brain and everyone i know is broken.. because to me i'm hearing SEE GAH in that video..

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I was able to pick up once upon a monster for $5, brutal lengend for $5 and ratchet clank 4some for $10. I picked those up from the closing down dse so it only cost $17.

Wasn't much there at all. Lots of brutal legends about, rayman was 10 for wii. Hardware was long gone.

Is everyone pissed at the Mass Effect 3 ending because
of the stupid fucking ghost child
, or
the stupid fucking Deus Ex 3 push-a-button ending
or
the fact that choosing different options doesn't make a whole lot of difference
or all of the above?

Yagharek

I was trying to type in the word 'vulcanism' in a post in OT in the context of "major disasters". The browser's spellchecker suggests 'republicanism' is a viable alternative spelling for an apocalyptic event.

Given that this was with regards to the USA, +1 to firefox spellchecker.

Few things

1. leave Freo alone

2. From DSE I now have a few 3 month live subscriptions and an extra copy of kinect games rabbids alive and kicking and carnival games some crap or other. Did anyone happen to get a spare copy of Once upon a monster, would love it for my daughter and happy to trade

3. I skipped lost planet 2 but loved the first, did i miss out?

4. Did we ever get resolution on legends facebook date request?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
2. From DSE I now have a few 3 month live subscriptions and an extra copy of kinect games rabbids alive and kicking and carnival games some crap or other. Did anyone happen to get a spare copy of Once upon a monster, would love it for my daughter and happy to
I grabbed once upon a monster. If Shaneus doesn't want it then it's all yours.

Hi Reptile
Pervert

Xbox points and subs are meant to be cheap at dse right? I've seen a crapload at each shop I've checked but they aren't displayed as being on sale.
Cards went in the last sale, barely any though as they were only the super old cardboard type. $5 headphones for PC at DSE too!

Also had PS3 Steering Wheels for $10! No pedals though.

At least us Richmond supporters have just given up hope. If we don't finish last we have a party! And with GWS and GC, parties every year!
I join in that party too every year, although a first up win was very nice.

Oh joy Max Payne 3 is $90US. Expected but still bullshit >:[
Import import!

Well I'm just relieved we dont know of any Sega edition of Monopoly in existence, otherwise AusGAF civil war would ensue.
Pretty sure I remember seeing one a few years ago. Would buy if includes sound effects.

2. From DSE I now have a few 3 month live subscriptions and an extra copy of kinect games rabbids alive and kicking and carnival games some crap or other. Did anyone happen to get a spare copy of Once upon a monster, would love it for my daughter and happy to trade

3. I skipped lost planet 2 but loved the first, did i miss out?

4. Did we ever get resolution on legends facebook date request?

2. I've got an extra copy if no-one closer can get you one. I'm in Warrnambool, VIC.

3. It was awesome co-op, single player was broken until it was fixed in a patch. Very niche game, love hate. LP3 has a great developer!

4. No good result sadly.

Rezbit

The way I say any tu word - you-tee-yoob..but quicker.

I think clipper is right though. When you say the tube part quickly, it sorta starts to morph into a t-choob, which is fair enough. But there is still a "te" sound in there!

People that just outright say youchooob, chooouesday, chooolip, chooona...terrible.

You say it tew-nah and tew-lip? You pretentious twat.
Just joking by the way!

EDIT: Well, that pretty much covers it jambo. No premiership, crap theme song that they tried to change but it ended up being a more cock-rock version of the old one, chokers, shit players like Ballantyne and McPhee, did I mention no premiership?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom