• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

I have a few friends in Richmond and they hate it there. Outer suburbs is where they are aiming for, no real targeted suburb though lol.

Monopoly is the best board game. It is the entry point to all those board games you want to post up as the correct board games. Without Monopoly to enthral players they would never branch out into the games you are currently playing unless dragged into them.

Just because it is a widely acknowledged entry point, doesn't make it the best :p stop trolling.

@holy - also many fun games with back stabbing or just fun aspects. One in particular involves almost snap like mechanics then a race to grab a totem. Will link it up later. Perfect boozing game.

Here we go, jungle speed - en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Speed

Yagharek

Got to agree with reptile. Monopoly is a simple entry game which means its easy accessible fun for more people straight out. No doubt there are "better" games but that requires a captive audience and a willing one at that. Not something that is always available in the superior boardgame world of those people not known as Omi.

Scrabble is another good game too. I'd argue it's much better than monopoly, but Omi would no doubt lament its randomness. To that I would just say pfffffft on a triple word score tile.

Go Fish is the worst.

Surely this is what you meant to type?

Mouse trap is the worst.

Cluedo is the worst without a doubt. It is like Chess but not. Also it is boring unless you bring in drinking consequences.

Maybe what I am getting at is that to have the most fun you have to make up the rules on the spot depending on who you are playing with and what kind of experience you want to have.

Which is why Beer Pong is always the best board game.

Fredescu

Does anyone have any suggestions for online storage for general photo and home movie backups? I'm getting sick of the Live Mesh restrictions and none of the free sites have enough storage if I'm going to backup videos too. Go Daddy storage seems pretty cheap. 100GB for about $30/year.

Does anyone have any suggestions for online storage for general photo and home movie backups? I'm getting sick of the Live Mesh restrictions and none of the free sites have enough storage if I'm going to backup videos too. Go Daddy storage seems pretty cheap. 100GB for about $30/year.
Dropbox? People seem pretty into that.

My method is USB sticks at my parents place.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I have a few friends in Richmond and they hate it there. Outer suburbs is where they are aiming for, no real targeted suburb though lol.

Monopoly is the best board game. It is the entry point to all those board games you want to post up as the correct board games. Without Monopoly to enthral players they would never branch out into the games you are currently playing unless dragged into them.

Yes I went there the other week. The locals made me angry. Also st kilda is awful.

Rezbit

I've never played a serious board game other than Monopoly. I'm probably missing out on some great stuff.

You are. There are great nerdy themed ones that are pretty epic like Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones. There are others like Last Night on Earth and Munchkin that are a bit more lighthearted.

Most people who play the other games are going to be too ties up in rules to let you muck around and dick about. Which as everyone knows the rules to monopoly, you can.

Therefor more fun.

So you play board games like you play Dota? *trollface*

Monopoly is just the defacto "board game." It's not even that accessible as it is incredibly long and boring. Any time I've been playing Monopoly and drinking I've been well and truly shit-faced by the end of it. Just because it's what people play doesn't make it the best. There is a whole world of awesome board games out there my friend.

I am very aware that there are board games other than Monopoly out there. Its importance should not be downplayed.

$200/year for 100GB vs $30/year for 100GB. People are into the free 2GB for Dropbox (and you can get additional storage through promos), and I've used it myself, but it's nowhere near enough.

Ah, yes I remember now. There was a promo not long ago to get 23Gb for the next 2 years for free. Also this one called Box on Android for 50Gb for free for life but it is over now.

EDIT: Get rid of the corn Cod and that would be delicious.

How could you not want a fish taco (middle, chicken on the right)?

AoJjlL9CAAAdnP3.jpg

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
" Abbotsford is the way to go i reckon. Otherwise, collingwood, northcote, clifton hill, ivanhoe, hawthorn, kew and camberwell for a touch of snobbery."

These were my friends recommendations who originally recommended fitzroy to me.

Any objections?

Omikron

I guess I won the discussion because Vince couldn't counter my major points and resorted to personal attacks? ;)

Also, rezbit is a good guy.

why is ausgaf in gaming but toronto gaf in ot?

just wanted to pop on here and rant a bit.

a) fucking realtors in sydney - my place has a bit of a weird gas leak problem in the bedroom; hard to breathe in the bedroom so I haven't been able to sleep in there Asked them to fix it repeatedly, and finally I told them, I'm not paying you this much rent to not be able to use the room (aka its toxic) and they tell me my lease is up; goodbye. They waited 3 months to tell me that. 3 months. So yeah, CTTTing them

b) interim - looking. Fucking real estates vendor scumbags - I had an eye on a place in surry hills - very expensive. Sent the realtor an email; he wrote back saying he got an application and a deposit; but if I wanted to "discuss" I should contact him. Greedy fuck! I don't care if I don't get it but I don't think he has an application and if he already got the deposit; he's just a sack of shit.

then I look around and somehow prices in almost every suburb has gone up $100-200/wk. WTF is wrong with sydney. St peters which is a ghetto fringe suburb now charges $600ish for a 2 bed slumhole near nothing.

Probably end up paying way too much for something in surry hills/redfern/cityfringe but at least I can save the $25-40/wk on commute if I walk.

SYDNEY IS A SHITHOLE.

/rantover

Just thought a quick post was in order to thank reptilescorpio for buying and sending me a ps3 move gun from the dse sale. Much appreciated.

Bernbaum

I've never played a serious board game other than Monopoly. I'm probably missing out on some great stuff.

Get Carcassone and Ticket to Ride on your iPad. They're good gateway drugs, have decent NPC AI, and can be played asynchronously against a pre-existing GAF community of players. Carc can also be played on your iPhone as a universal app.

You can also get Settlers of Catan and Puerto Rico on iOS, but start with the two I recommended.

Here we go, jungle speed - en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Speed

ooh this is fun, used to play it at school.
Apparently there's a wiiware version.

B-b-but Godaddy is evil.

Alan Wake has gone from a 2/5 on release to a 4/5 since replaying it on PC and thinking back upon it. Watching the behind the scenes stuff today really nailed how much they focus on story and atmosphere, with barely any talk about the mechanics of playing the game.
It was the game that broke the camels back in regards to buying games at full local price on day one, such a huge disappointment. The gameplay just isn't fun at all, too repetitive with no variety and, most of all, ISN'T FUN.
Everything else is fantastic (at least on PC) aside from some disconnect with the story delivery and low grade textures at some points. Atmosphere is incredible and the art work is usually best of the generation level. Music and sound design are orgasmic and the second half is paced to perfection. The first 2 chapters are easily tossed to the side and from the third chapter on you get enough variety in the mechanics to get you through to the end without having to take day breaks in between the continual process of shield off/flare down and shoot shoot shoot.
I hope that Remedy can playtest their next full release to a larger degree as it would have benefited immensely from more down time, playing as an adventure rather than a pseudo survival horror thriller for the entire span of the game. Since the gameplay was lacking it just felt like a dredge.

Just thought a quick post was in order to thank reptilescorpio for buying and sending me a ps3 move gun from the dse sale. Much appreciated.
No probs! Hopefully tomorrow will bring more goodies. Not holding my breath though.

No, a power cord rechargerera
What model is it? You should be able to easily find the correct type and pick up a cheap extended one. Strange that it isn't a USB/HDMI one in some fashion.

markot

Banned
What model is it? You should be able to easily find the correct type and pick up a cheap extended one. Strange that it isn't a USB/HDMI one in some fashion.

Its a 110w windpad of AWESOME!!

I know that I could buy a stupid laptop recharger kit with a thousand plugs, but those expensive!

RE: Boardgames. What about Risk?

I am too lazy though, Shan.

God, tonight was painful. At least Friday is only meetings.

Me too :p Which is why every day is sushi roll day.

Another pronunciation thread seems to have sprung up, with people in this one claiming the England is the only country that still uses British English. Hrm.

See-gah is still the only way to pronounce Sega. Every other country has it wrong.

I'd actually be interested in the story of how we came about that pronunciation.

Is this the same England where teenagers speak with a weird Jamaican accent?

BoB: whoever introduced the brand to Australia probably pronounced it that way in commercials.
My bro and I used to pronounce Nintendo as Nine-tendo and Coleco as COlleco when we were kids in the early 80's. Why? Because we never heard them said any other way.
Audi used to be pronounced Or-di locally until the distributor changed and wanted to pronounced the brand the same as Germans.

we say beta as Bee-ta not Bay-ta, pronounce call of duty in a way that suggests anti-semitism and our PM thinks 'negosiate' is a word.

This country's stuffed

I've had a gutful.

google's stuffed because I can no longer find a decent screencap from The Late Show of the Oz brothers.

Its a 110w windpad of AWESOME!!

I know that I could buy a stupid laptop recharger kit with a thousand plugs, but those expensive!
Reviews here it seems to be the main complaint, 1m long power cord. Go into your local PC place and see if they have a longer cable that would work. They may even have the dock for it.

Yeah I dropped into my local store today, and they had a lot of signs up saying there was a game sale tomorrow. Pretty dismal selection from what I could see, Ill stop by again but not holding my breath.
Most of the stock was held out back and apparently staff aren't allowed to buy any as they are going to track stock numbers and monitor complaints. Could be just bullshit though.

Bu bu but, the japanese!

Like A-nime vs Ah-nime.

I'm so torn on this one. If I say A-nimay I sound like a bogan. If I say Ah-ni-me I sound pretentious. Aaaaaaah.

Sega is "Seiga" for me.

Oh, quote from the thread for reference:

The world speaks, reads, and writes American english.

Only one tiny European island, whose only relevance in the last 200 years or so was some wedding for its monarchs (lol), still clings to a shadow of its former glory

Damn, now I feel bad for them :\ Let's let them have aluminium.

I have a feeling he's trolling but you never can tell with the yanks :p

markot

Banned
Reviews here it seems to be the main complaint, 1m long power cord. Go into your local PC place and see if they have a longer cable that would work. They may even have the dock for it.

Most of the stock was held out back and apparently staff aren't allowed to buy any as they are going to track stock numbers and monitor complaints. Could be just bullshit though.

Thinking of just getting a short, 1m, extension cord >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom