• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNTAPPD IS A THING THAT IS GOING TO BE DANGEROUS FOR ME

PS. Everyone should check out the auto refresh and quick reply/quote plugins for ChromeGAF. I now know how Reptile does his rapid-fire quotes so easily. Mwahahaha.
Nah I haven't used them for ages now. The auto-refresh never picks up edits and I actually LIKE having 50ppp to avoid clutter. Also GAF now has the multi quote + button anyway! Only use the extension for the 'green highlight for your posts and people quoting you' which is fucking awesome.

Rekorderlig ?

Have to help organise conference at uni. Have never done anything remotely administrative in my life. Could be catastrophic.

Kopparberg%20Strawberry.jpg

Good luck :( Why are they making you do something you have no experience in?

Salazar

Good luck :( Why are they making you do something you have no experience in?

PhDs have to do two advanced studies options. Helping organise the conference counts as one. They're not making me do it, as such, but the alternatives probably involve writing essays on topics in which I have no expertise or interest.

Cider looks good.

legend166

Today has sucked (apart from the Swannies win).

I've got work scheduled to be done at 11pm. Problem is, the change hasn't been approved. I rang up the project manager and told him this, and he said he'd chase it up and get it approved and for me to just hang around. I haven't heard anything yet.

I'm thinking of just going to bed.

maladroid

Hey mate, already given a few away but might have one left later, I will check in if so.
That's alright. Not a big deal, just curious about it.
I have 5 invites to give away as well.
Although if you have one to spare.. ^^'

essendon
lol

ablett is amazing >_>
Why aren't you posting this in the AFL thread? The lack of hair on his head (or eyebrows, more accurately) creeps me out.

maladroid

Mm, I didn't realise he looked so weird. It's just I can't see his eyebrows properly on the telly, so he's looking a bit like Voldemort.

And haha, I wonder which outcome would demoralise the Bombers more: Winning by a small margin, or losing? In all honesty, it'd be nice for Dusty for the Bombers to get a win.
And I wouldn't want them to have extra motivation in thinking they have to prove themselves in their next match, either.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Mm, I didn't realise he looked so weird. It's just I can't see his eyebrows properly on the telly, so he's looking a bit like Voldemort.

And haha, I wonder which outcome would demoralise the Bombers more: Winning by a small margin, or losing? In all honesty, it'd be nice for Dusty for the Bombers to get a win.
And I wouldn't want them to have extra motivation in thinking they have to prove themselves in their next match, either.

theres no real embarressment in it.

that was ports last year

maladroid

No worries. Chuck me a msg on Steam, same username.
Thanks mate. Having problems sending a message, but I think I sent you a friend invite. Username's Beurre.

theres no real embarressment in it.

that was ports last year
I suppose for the team that finished second from the bottom last year there isn't, but the Bombers were in the top 8 last year.

Great powerade ad right there.

midonnay

hope the suns can pull it together before GAJ retires...... he is more impressive now than when he was in Geelong.

absolute beast..... must be averaging over forty possessions a game.

Bernbaum

Turns out that Pushmo on 3DS is top fun. In fact, the 3DS ticks a lot of boxes with its current line-up. If anything, a new RPG would be nice.

maladroid

hope the suns can pull it together before GAJ retires...... he is more impressive now than when he was in Geelong.

absolute beast..... must be averaging over forty possessions a game.
Yeah the 7 commentary team mentioned it. 3 games in a row with over forty possessions. First player to do it since they've been keeping stats. They also showed a graphic where it showed he was doing better than Murphy and Pendlebury over the first two rounds as well.

Considering Essendon only scored ~15 points more in the entire match this match than they did in the first quarter of their match last year with the Suns, I think they've made a marked improvement.

Jintor

I don't normally watch movies on plane flights but you gotta find something to do on those 15 hour long-hauls

So Back To The Future is legitimately a masterpiece, while MiB is less awesome than I remember, but still pretty cool.

Batman: Year One was not as cool as BTAS or Batman Beyond

jambo

Sitting at the airport, about to fly to Darwin.

Never been to Darwin before, and I'll only be there for 4 hours before my flight on to Bali

Clipper

I don't normally watch movies on plane flights but you gotta find something to do on those 15 hour long-hauls

So Back To The Future is legitimately a masterpiece, while MiB is less awesome than I remember, but still pretty cool.

Batman: Year One was not as cool as BTAS or Batman Beyond
Oh, so you're back? Feel free to pop over to SydGAF Board Games later if you're not too jet lagged :p. Also, make sure you let us know if you're going to be at the May 6th one.

What sorcery is this? Will they be porting that effect over to PC later on? Is that getting released on PS3?

Doesn't matter, I doubt W2 is my kinda game anyway, but I sure as shit appreciate those effects. Looks boss.

All the Enhanced Edition changes are coming out for the PC in an 11Gb patch for the PC version this week when the 360 version releases. Also includes redone textures that they went back and replaced while doing the 360 version, all in only 11 months!

They have hinted at a PS3 version ever since early PC trailers but I would expect another 12 month wait since they want to only work on one project at a time.

TW2 IS YOUR KIND OF GAME, DON'T BE SILLY

Shaneus

27 degrees today. 25 yesterday and the day before. Melboure/Geelong, I fucking love your weather!

Now watch me waste it by spending it inside, bitching here about the irrelevance of the Logies and who the fuck any of the gold Logie nominees are.

Edit: Okay. How much is TW2 going for now? Should I buy it or Alan Wake? The choice is yours.

Fogz

All the Enhanced Edition changes are coming out for the PC in an 11Gb patch for the PC version this week when the 360 version releases. Also includes redone textures that they went back and replaced while doing the 360 version, all in only 11 months!

They have hinted at a PS3 version ever since early PC trailers but I would expect another 12 month wait since they want to only work on one project at a time.

TW2 IS YOUR KIND OF GAME, DON'T BE SILLY

I think the patch is already up on gog.

I wanna play TW2 again now

Jintor

TW2 also had a terrible ending, but for different reasons than ME3

Damned if it didn't look good and the world wasn't super interesting though. (Personally I prefered Witcher 1 but whatever)

Extra content being added to final Chapter yo. 4+ hours. Loved the ending, just a little light on content that Chapter.

I think the patch is already up on gog.

I wanna play TW2 again now
Nope, just up for pre-load and then the final part will download/unlock when it hits release day.

thewitcher.com said:
Do not change the directory of the downloaded files until you update your game. Be sure that the additional files, you will download after the 17th of April will be saved in the same directory.

Now watch me waste it by spending it inside, bitching here about the irrelevance of the Logies and who the fuck any of the gold Logie nominees are.

Edit: Okay. How much is TW2 going for now? Should I buy it or Alan Wake? The choice is yours.
Was down the park for lunch with some friends so the little guy could spend his day running around on slides and shit. Beautiful day to be next to the beach but not actually go in the freezing cold water.

ALSO BUY BOTH

Deeku

I always watch movies on planes because I never watch movies normally. Most of the notable movies of the past 5 years were probably seen on a plane lol.

I can't play games or read though, which is weird.

midonnay

I saw Almost Famous on the plane.....

touched down before it finished
on the scene where the plane looked like it was going to crash in a storm

Shadowrun Returns is going to include a mission just for Kickstarters if it hits $1.5 million backing that bridges the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games. The current funding is enough to add another new city to the game, which is damn exciting.

So if you liked those games lay down $15 for another Shadowrun!

(also I want another Crimson Skies damnit)

midonnay

I wish some japanese companies (like level 5) would join the kickstarter craze....

need some new strategy rpgs like jeanne de arc >_>

Shadowrun Returns is going to include a mission just for Kickstarters if it hits $1.5 million backing that bridges the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games.
Whilst I appreciate the good intentions that this offer originates from, I'm a little bit worried about what this represents. For a while now, people have expressed, quite rightly, about the custom of offering pre-order bonuses from each of the various retailers that are selling games.

This, in my mind, constitutes a variation of that. Are we moving to a Kickstarter model that offers bonuses for those that choose to back a project?

I don't want to come off as being against this sort of thing; after all, it's entirely their right to do this and is being offered as a reward, not as an incentive to milk the consumer for exclusive content. However, I feel a certain amount of hesitancy towards this. I don't think it will bode well if a consumer base is split, when talking about the finished product, by those who gave money to the company as part of the kickstarter and those that chose to give the company money at retail.

The pessimist in me want to cry out "Day One DLC incoming!". I don't like the fact that I thought that, and that it's probably a fairly certain reality.

Hmmmmmm... conflicted.

Whilst I appreciate the good intentions that this offer originates from, I'm a little bit worried about what this represents. For a while now, people have expressed, quite rightly, about the custom of offering pre-order bonuses from each of the various retailers that are selling games.

This, in my mind, constitutes a variation of that. Are we moving to a Kickstarter model that offers bonuses for those that choose to back a project?

I don't want to come off as being against this sort of thing; after all, it's entirely their right to do this and is being offered as a reward, not as an incentive to milk the consumer for exclusive content. However, I feel a certain amount of hesitancy towards this. I don't think it will bode well if a consumer base is split, when talking about the finished product, by those who gave money to the company as part of the kickstarter and those that chose to give the company money at retail.

The offer comes because they expected to need around $400,000 to make a decent Shadowrun game, with the focus being on providing the editing tools required to allow the community to make their own runs to expand beyond what they could afford to create in terms of content.

When they found that more people wanted the game than they had budgeted for they had the option of expanding the content of the game (or pocketing the extra money but that of course wouldn't have looked good). By reaching $1,000,000 they have added a whole new city to the game, so now we have runs in Detroit as well as another city that will be brainstormed up and will most likely be chosen depending on what city backers are interested in.

This offer is more of an incentive to current backers to publicise the Kickstarter to try and draw to more peoples attention so that the goal can be met and everyone gets a mission that is highly likely to be more interesting to people who would back the damn thing in the first place since the entire point of backing the game is on the pedigree of the developers who made the series in the first place! The bridging mission is a tip of the hat to the fanbase who are currently allowing the team to go back to the series they made famous in video game circles.

And Kickstarter exists ENTIRELY to offer bonuses for those that choose to back a project. Otherwise you would just buy it on Steam after it comes out. The lure of Kickstarter for gamers is that you can get some sweet extras with the game (as well as know that you are helping to create a game that you actually want, for better or worse) that would most likely cost tons more after the fact due to bulk ordering or not even exist!

Rezbit

Just started reading about the Shadowrun kickstarter. Man it sounds really good, but I don't like turn-based games :\

Still might chuck in anyway just because the universe is awesome.

And Kickstarter exists ENTIRELY to offer bonuses for those that choose to back a project. Otherwise you would just buy it on Steam after it comes out. The lure of Kickstarter for gamers is that you can get some sweet extras with the game (as well as know that you are helping to create a game that you actually want, for better or worse) that would most likely cost tons more after the fact due to bulk ordering or not even exist!

The issue here is that said bonus is gameplay content exclusive to backers. Sure, giving people who helped fund the game some swag is cool, but locking out content from people who purchase the game when it actually comes out (or offering it to them for a price afterwards) is where it gets iffy.

When they found that more people wanted the game than they had budgeted for they had the option of expanding the content of the game (or pocketing the extra money but that of course wouldn't have looked good). By reaching $1,000,000 they have added a whole new city to the game, so now we have runs in Detroit as well as another city that will be brainstormed up and will most likely be chosen depending on what city backers are interested in.
Excellent. One would hope that if a Kickstarter Project garners more money than needed they would put that money into strengthening or expanding the original scope of the project. Like you said, they are under no obligation to spend that money on the project and very well could pocket the money for themselves.

I am 100% percent behind this.

This offer is more of an incentive to current backers to publicise the Kickstarter to try and draw to more peoples attention so that the goal can be met and everyone gets a mission that is highly likely to be more interesting to people who would back the damn thing in the first place since the entire point of backing the game is on the pedigree of the developers who made the series in the first place! The bridging mission is a tip of the hat to the fanbase who are currently allowing the team to go back to the series they made famous in video game circles.
I'm going to have to start taking issue with it right here. The aim of this new city, to me, seems to be a dangling carrot to get more "preorders." If they were just after making the best game they could have said "If we get $X we will be able to do X, Y, and Z, which will be great for everyone." What they are doing, instead, is saying "Unless you give us money now, you will not be able to access these very cool things. You don't want to play the game knowing that you're missing out on this, do you?"

I was all for their approach earlier, where they said "If we can get to $X we will be able to employ these additional industry professionals to help us." To a potential backer, this lets me know that they just want to make the best game they can for everyone to enjoy. Not only that, but the increase in quality will make their game more marketable and in turn, hopefully more profitable for them.

Raising money to produce something and not put that in the game seems short sighted on a couple of fronts. Mainly, though, it makes me not want to back the product as they would be either sending out an incomplete retail product or selling it later as DLC, making their incentive less special to backers. Either way it's not a business decision that I find palatable.

No. No it doesn't. Kickstarter exists entirely to allow a single person or company to crown fund an idea. The rewards, traditionally, are more about offering a extras beyond the project itself. Poster, digital/physical copies, postcards, t-shirts, behind the scenes looks, etc are all given out on top of the same base product that the public will receive.

Also, you usually get the product cheaper than the retail price. On quite a number of projects that is the only bonus you receive. But that's the point.

The reason why most people back something in Kickstarter is because it's a product they like the sound of, wish to see produced, get a few extras and also get to tell people that they funded a project.

I'm not against games that give the player a couple of in-game bonuses (special skill, ability to name your character, what have you) but I don't like the idea of creating another city that won't be in the retail product. That sounds like a fair chunk of contact to wall off from your retail base.

Having a look at the Kickstarter page, it seems like I'm not the only person that feels this way. At the end of the day it's entirely the companies decision but I would hope they change their mind about this. Not only from a business standpoint but also to avoid fracturing their customer base.

The issue here is that said bonus is gameplay content exclusive to backers. Sure, giving people who helped fund the game some swag is cool, but locking out content from people who purchase the game when it actually comes out (or offering it to them for a price afterwards) is where it gets iffy.

Why is that iffy? If people know the content isn't available to them then they can decide how much the game is worth without this piece of content that was created especially because Kickstarter backers met their $400,000 target to make the game and then went on to back $1,500,000 I don't understand the concern. You buy a game based on a valuation of what it is worth compared to what you have to pay for it. Similar to the release of Professor Layton and the Last Specter Vs. Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call.

Jintor

Jetlag hitting harder than I thought, collapsed and died for like four hours there. My sleep schedule is going to be fuuuuuuuuuucked uuuuuuuuuup

Why is that iffy? If people know the content isn't available to them then they can decide how much the game is worth without this piece of content that was created especially because Kickstarter backers met their $400,000 target to make the game and then went on to back $1,500,000 I don't understand the concern. You buy a game based on a valuation of what it is worth compared to what you have to pay for it. Similar to the release of Professor Layton and the Last Specter Vs. Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call.

I just don't like the idea of offering part of a game only to those willing to pre-commit to purchasing it.

What they are doing, instead, is saying "Unless you give us money now, you will not be able to access these very cool things. You don't want to play the game knowing that you're missing out on this, do you?"
Actually they didn't say that at all. They said they will develop a module (if that is the easiest way to describe it) that will tie in to the SNES/Genesis titles. They didn't say you would be missing out on anything in the actual game itself. It is superfluous to the main story that is going to be told. It is a tip of the cap to the Kickstarter fanbase who have been asking for something extra. It is extra content for a DRM free game that will be available to the people who do't want to kickstart the game as soon as it is emailed out to backers on all the usual pirating spots.

If someone was worried about "missing out" on the game wouldn't they have been one of the first to back it? In the worry that the game wouldn't even be created?

I was all for their approach earlier, where they said "If we can get to $X we will be able to employ these additional industry professionals to help us." To a potential backer, this lets me know that they just want to make the best game they can for everyone to enjoy. Not only that, but the increase in quality will make their game more marketable and in turn, hopefully more profitable for them.
Are you thinking of Shadowrun or the recent Wasteland 2 Kickstarter where once they made a reach goal and said if they make it they will be able to bring in Chris Avellone?

Raising money to produce something and not put that in the game seems short sighted on a couple of fronts. Mainly, though, it makes me not want to back the product as they would be either sending out an incomplete retail product or selling it later as DLC, making their incentive less special to backers. Either way it's not a business decision that I find palatable.
So if they waited to develop the content AFTER it was released it would be okay?

No. No it doesn't. Kickstarter exists entirely to allow a single person or company to crown fund an idea. The rewards, traditionally, are more about offering a extras beyond the project itself. Poster, digital/physical copies, postcards, t-shirts, behind the scenes looks, etc are all given out on top of the same base product that the public will receive.
I was speaking as a consumer since I don't currently have any projects up on Kickstarter asking for funding. I, as a consumer, fund on Kickstarter because of these extras. Without the extras I would not fund more than the base amount. That is how the last few Kickstarters I have backed have made large amounts of money, by offering extras and rewards that you would not get outside of Kickstarter.

I'm not against games that give the player a couple of in-game bonuses (special skill, ability to name your character, what have you) but I don't like the idea of creating another city that won't be in the retail product. That sounds like a fair chunk of contact to wall off from your retail base.
Again, I think you are misunderstanding the project and should actually read the Kickstarter page. The extra city is already funded. It is going to be a part of the game already. It will be in the retail game when it is released. They are not locking people out of the second city. The second city was a reach goal established after the realised that the scope of the project could be expanded because it would bring in more than the $400,000 initially set.

The backer exclusive content is one mission that has references to the old titles. Probably. It hasn't been started yet, hell it hasn't even been discussed further than what we have seen. From what he has said it would be an extra module, similar to one that you or I could create from day one of release. The point of the game is to create a game that the community can use to make their own stories for years to come, almost like an AGS for Shadowrun RPG's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom