• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The backer exclusive content is one mission that has references to the old titles. Probably. It hasn't been started yet, hell it hasn't even been discussed further than what we have seen. From what he has said it would be an extra module, similar to one that you or I could create from day one of release.

So it's essentially a retailer-exclusive pre-order mission. Man, you must love the approach Capcom are taking with Mercs maps in Resi6.

I would prefer it NOT to be only for backers. BUT. I can understand the decision behind it.

I am mainly annoyed at all the people throwing their arms up about it who have no idea about the game they are talking about. If you are going to state an opinion at least read up about it for fucks sake.

EDIT: It is 100% likely that within the next day they will come out and say it is no longer exclusive anyway since they have followed the backers discussions from day one and it would not benefit them in ANY way to keep it exclusive.
So it's essentially a retailer-exclusive pre-order mission. Man, you must love the approach Capcom are taking with Mercs maps in Resi6.

You have obviously never read any posts I have made in those threads.

Rezbit

I suppose with these Kickstarters, if you get exclusive stuff for backing it at least that means it has come directly from you funding it.

With Capcpom among others, and with retailer exclusive shit it just goes to the publisher/retailer as opposed to the dudes who actually make it with their own two hands.

Has this been posted yet? It's pretty awesome. You should all watch it. But not before preparing your wallets for
Farming Simulator 2011.

And props for this comment on it:

Pretty sure it is on the Kritz list of games to livestream! Also Vook was thinking of grabbing the 3DS version, which actually looked kinda cool from the screenshots I saw...
Only $23 on PC ;)

I would LOVE another Sim Farm! My sister and I played hundred of hours of it rather than go out and help our Dad with our farm.

Shaneus

Pretty sure it is on the Kritz list of games to livestream! Also Vook was thinking of grabbing the 3DS version, which actually looked kinda cool from the screenshots I saw...
Only $23 on PC ;)

I would LOVE another Sim Farm! My sister and I played hundred of hours of it rather than go out and help our Dad with our farm.
It's $15 on Steam. I'm really, really fucking tempted. There's a GB quicklook though, so I'm gonna check that first.

Got told to leave a thread because "its an American problem". =/ Not the first time either, but oh well.

I am a sucker for those sim games. Good thing I don't have $20 on me :p

Yar, I got banned pretty much because I had the nerve to tell Americans that super-charged athletics programs were damaging their university system.

Which it is. I was trying to explain that taking SAT marks off Asians and giving extra marks to Black/Hispanic people doesn't actually fix any race problems. Oh well.

Shaneus

Are you as postively affected by good weather as I am? Then you need to have this playing in the background. It's so happy and cruisy and funky and unpretentious, you can't help but feel awesome listening to it. If it's not your bag, then that's cool too... but you're missing out on a good time :)

The weather's really weird atm. It'd been super cold the last few days like it'd realised Summer had overstayed its welcome and decided to jump straight to Winter to the point that we even lit the heater yesteday, but then it's a really nice, warm sunny day today.

I of course took advantage of this good weather by staying inside, drinking vodka, playing Street Fighter and watching Akibaranger.

Okay. First, I'm going to admit that I misread your original post. I merged the 'extra' from "extra mission" with the "second city" part. You may have won this round, reptile, but I'll get my revenge at some point.

Perhaps I'll just start posting deals after you have and then admit that I never saw your post. I know how that annoys you.

But, let's keep the discussion going, yes? Why not. But first, just to touch on my error:

Actually they didn't say that at all. They said they will develop a module (if that is the easiest way to describe it) that will tie in to the SNES/Genesis titles.
That's very cool. For the most part.

If someone was worried about "missing out" on the game wouldn't they have been one of the first to back it? In the worry that the game wouldn't even be created?
Not quite. I reserve the right to be interested in something but remain frugal enough with my money not to pay for something before it's been released. Just because I would like to see Just Cause 3 does not mean that I should part with my commitment (the money) before their commitment (the product) can be evaluated. My money has a set value (except for variations in global currency amounts) and their commitment is of an unknown quality.

I must say that in all my time I've only ever preordered two games. So that may indicate where my opinions tends to lie on these matters. I have also backed two Kickstaters, but both of those had a set, final product that would be indistinguishable for backers and non-backers.

Are you thinking of Shadowrun or the recent Wasteland 2 Kickstarter where once they made a reach goal and said if they make it they will be able to bring in Chris Avellone?
Clearly I'm thinking of both and combining them. Keep up.

So if they waited to develop the content AFTER it was released it would be okay?
Not quite. My stance is that the Kickstarter final product should be the same for backers and non-backers. A quirky, non-game changing, perk here or there is fine (name your character, a unique honorific in the game, a different coloured moon dragon of Al 'faqarnto, etc is acceptable). I truly feel, though, that everything game content related should be available to everyone.

Again, I think you are misunderstanding the project and should actually read the Kickstarter page.
No. NO! You can't make me!

Anyway, clearly I misunderstood the situation but I stand behind my opinion. I don't like the fact that we may be moving towards a "pre-order bonus" that is less about additional extras and more about "restricted/additional content."

This is not just restricted to games, either. I wouldn't be likely to back a novel if it offered additional chapters to backers, or a bicycle that came with an additional gear or the ilk. I love getting bonuses. Rewards are excellent. But only if they take the form of extra items outside of the product.

That's just the way I feel and I know other people feel differently. That's cool.

PS-This discussion came from my lack of comprehension (which makes my reply about deek's out-of-context "I can't play games or read though" quote all the more ironic) so I apologize for that.

Yar, I got banned pretty much because I had the nerve to tell Americans that super-charged athletics programs were damaging their university system.
You sir, are worse than Hitler.

Clipper

Sydgaf Board Games day 3 was a success!

Discworld Ankh Morpork is a surprisingly fun and addictive game. It was the only thing we ended up playing due to getting so engrossed. Good times.

Rahk

Sucked that I blew up my own building that caused trouble (my win condition) very early in that last game!

I totally bought all the buildings around it too. :(

Discworld pics please! I already want to grab a copy!

Perhaps I'll just start posting deals after you have and then admit that I never saw your post. I know how that annoys you.
That was Shaneus! Not me! You don't even read my posts do you! :(

That was Shaneus right? Damn my memory is struggling this weekend. I blame the sobriety.

Not quite. I reserve the right to be interested in something but remain frugal enough with my money not to pay for something before it's been released.
Indeed, that is one of the many draws of the current crop of Kickstarter projects for me. Like a lot of indie games on PC if I like the concept and have faith in the developer because of their pedigree I feel the odds are that I will get $15 worth of enjoyment out of the result. Even if I hate the damn thing the fact that I know 100% of my money has gone directly to keeping people in jobs so they can hopefully make another game like the one I liked in the past that got me to kickstart, rather than it getting caught up in the industry machine.

Actually I just realised after leaving the keyboard to tend to the brood that I structured that response poorly to your statement. I mean that it is $15 compared to the current RRP of games that have a similar amount of risk. We know what a AAA game these days looks like it should play like, along with most of them having (fairly) representative demos available, but you still can't tell if you will like it until it is in your glorious hands and I have been burnt on more than one occasion this generation at full ($90 at JB) price. For $15 it is usually an educated risk that you will enjoy the game if the pitch moves you to your card numbers.

Just because I would like to see Just Cause 3 does not mean that I should part with my commitment (the money) before their commitment (the product) can be evaluated. My money has a set value (except for variations in global currency amounts) and their commitment is of an unknown quality.
Another main reason why I kickstarted rather than waited for the project to be for sale on Steam was that I wanted to make sure it was going to go ahead in the first place. These guys got the licence to make another Shadowrun and have the pitch all worked out but publishers just don't want to makefund a turnbased isometric old school RPG. They don't have any data to see what their profit ratio to the investment would be since the genre isn't big enough at the moment to supply that data.

I must say that in all my time I've only ever preordered two games. So that may indicate where my opinions tends to lie on these matters.
Same here, the only pre-order I ever made was for the CE of The Witcher 2 since it was well known that it would sell out quickly and was a great price for the usually exorbitant EBGames. I have no interest in pre-ordering a retail game that will always halve in price within the first 2 months of release. At least here it is unlikely that Shadowrun will drop to $5 for quite some time after it is put up for sale on Steam.

My stance is that the Kickstarter final product should be the same for backers and non-backers. A quirky, non-game changing, perk here or there is fine (name your character, a unique honorific in the game, a different coloured moon dragon of Al 'faqarnto, etc is acceptable). I truly feel, though, that everything game content related should be available to everyone.
A lot of people feel that way. I look at it though like as if I was a writer. Some rich guy tells me that he will fund my next book, so I write the book along with a short story that I only give to him as thanks for his support and faith. I then sell the book to consumers and the short story remains just for the guy who believed in me. They will change their mind though, since it is of no benefit to Hare Brained to keep it exclusive, especially since the whole thing is module and DRM free anyway so no exclusive content can even be deemed as such. Even by offering the Editor some fan can just recreate the mission anyway.

I don't like the fact that we may be moving towards a "pre-order bonus" that is less about additional extras and more about "restricted/additional content."
I assume you are talking about Kickstarter projects and not games in general, since that has been happening since the dawn of commerce.

PS-This discussion came from my lack of comprehension so I apologize for that.
No apologies necessary! Discussion is always fruitful and the more peoples views on things we hear the better. I may not have taken it the same way as you but it is important that I understand where you are coming from, so I don't assume to know.

You sir, are worse than Hitler.
At least he is in flavour country. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Flavour.

That was Shaneus! Not me! You don't even read my posts do you! :(

That was Shaneus right? Damn my memory is struggling this weekend. I blame the sobriety.
It's also happened to you. Quite a few times. You even drew people's attention to the big bloody banner you put above them.

Shaneus, however, is just a big girl's blouse. No one reads her posts. Anyway, I don't think she's posted in here lately.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I feel like playing thru the Metroid Prime games.

I have metroid prime 1 on the gamecube, but what are the Wii re releases like? worth a look in?

i do enjoy FPS with the Wii mote, and hired mp3 once and enjoyed that.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is fantastic if you can get it. The games don't really require the super precision offered by the Wii Remote, but the pointer controls work well all the same and widescreen is nice.

Last night I drank a beer made with sweet potatoes and a beer made with red miso. The sweet potato one was out-freaking-standing.

coedo_beniaka.jpg

Jintor

Has this been posted yet? It's pretty awesome. You should all watch it. But not before preparing your wallets for
Farming Simulator 2011.

God, I love the internet

Better than the Katawa Shoujo 360 NoScope not nearly as awesome as When I'm Crippled (NSFW)

Sydgaf Board Games day 3 was a success!

Discworld Ankh Morpork is a surprisingly fun and addictive game. It was the only thing we ended up playing due to getting so engrossed. Good times.

I've fallen asleep without intending to three times today :|

It's also happened to you. Quite a few times. You even drew people's attention to the big bloody banner you put above them.
Ah, I remember people not noticing the banner when I pointed out a bargain for a second time but couldn't remember that someone else posted it. My mistake!

Shaneus, however, is just a big girl's blouse. No one reads her posts. Anyway, I don't think she's posted in here lately.
See, this we can all agree on.

I feel like playing thru the Metroid Prime games.
OzGameShop had it for $50 not long ago. Best bet seems to be eBay for around that price, one auction you even get a free Wii with it! Might as well get a mug while you are at it for the full experience!

Get out while you still can.
Some of the tracks on Bangarang were pretty good. Reached number 4 on the ARIA chart, still sitting at number 5!

Deeku

Farming Simulator 2011.

I really really like this. Description is great too!

Oh god graduation ceremony is tomorrow, kinda nervous! No idea why, it's not like I have to do anything...except walk on a stage and not trip D:

On the plus side, I'm taking the day off work even though the thing starts at 6pm lol!

hamchan

Wow, they are sure giving out these Dota 2 invites a lot now. Launch is still a fair bit a way with 30 heroes left to convert too.

Wow, they are sure giving out these Dota 2 invites a lot now. Launch is still a fair bit a way with 30 heroes left to convert too.

oh god. How will I remember them all @_@

Is it true its going to be free?

In Bali, in the Villa, drinking some Bintang and relaxing in the crazy humidity!

Eat some Nasi Goreng~

No no, order a whole pig!

Damn I'm jealous, would love a tropical holiday :p Not too many bogan there?

Jintor

Dad bought a 5.1 home theater system from Dick Smith for like $100 a few months back and we never got around to hooking it up. The thing seems to only be a DVD player, so my question is can I hook it up to my TV in such a way that I can play PS3 sounds through the 5.1? The spec manual is no real help, but it appears to have no inputs, only outputs. Would it be possible to use an optical or coaxial cable, or is it just a write-off and I should get a proper 5.1 system with a receiver or blu-ray just built in?

Also the TV is making some kind of weird high-pitched power-related buzzing (since it's still present if I disable the speakers) that I think only me and my brother can hear :|

Jint,

Unless the DVD Player has Auxiliary In Connections and the player itself has an AUX IN setting to switch to I don't think it's possible to use it for your PS3.

Clipper

Dad bought a 5.1 home theater system from Dick Smith for like $100 a few months back and we never got around to hooking it up. The thing seems to only be a DVD player, so my question is can I hook it up to my TV in such a way that I can play PS3 sounds through the 5.1? The spec manual is no real help, but it appears to have no inputs, only outputs. Would it be possible to use an optical or coaxial cable, or is it just a write-off and I should get a proper 5.1 system with a receiver or blu-ray just built in?

Also the TV is making some kind of weird high-pitched power-related buzzing (since it's still present if I disable the speakers) that I think only me and my brother can hear :|

Can you give us the make and model of the speakers? We can then figure out for sure if it will decode the audio (which it probably won't). Could also tell you if it's possible to get a cheap ($15-$20) USB sound card so that you could hook up the PS3 to the speakers though a laptop.

As for the power buzz, are any of your devices connected to the TV plugged into a different wall socket within the room? A grounding issue could cause a power buzz like that, but it wouldn't happen if all the plugs are connected to the same wall socket (or power boards coming from the same wall socket).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom