• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have to know that I'm doing what's best for the cat. And I don't know if emotionally I can handle another week of uncertainty of, am I going to come home from uni or wake up in the morning and just have my cat dead in a corner.
That sucks man, an unfortunate side effect of getting older is that you will have to deal with more instances of things passing on. I entirely agree that you are doing the right thing.

A few days after I was born in Adelaide a litter of kittens was born at my grandfathers farm in north-eastern Victoria, about 5 hours drive away. A few months later at Christmas he brought one of them over for me as my first Christmas present, a kitten that we named after the town he and my mother were from.

Eventually when we moved out to that town to a farm when I was in primary school she came with us, but never got over harshness of being removed from her comfortable, happy home of 6 years. A large part of the anger and betrayal in my heart of being pulled from the city I was raised in, taken from my life of friends and the environment I loved to explore, was embodied by her aloof nature and refusal stay inside the house. How could I rebel against my parents when they already had to miss out on our cats love? My life would far outreach hers, she had only another decade of our time to her out here in the wilderness, it seemed stupid to complain when I could adapt and meet new people. She had only feral cats, predators such as snakes and goannas, prey like mice and rabbits. All I could do was make it up to her, talk to her every day, explore the bush with her, keep her company under a tree in the blazing Mallee sun while she tries to recharge.

When I was in VCE studying for my final exams (which actually meant playing GTA San Andreas as it came out right on English exams and replaying Vice City just before) she came back late one afternoon to my fathers workshop dragging her tail and her ears pinned down as if someone had thrown a bucket of water on her. It was clear very quickly that she had been bitten by a snake and once she sat down she couldn't muster the energy to get back up. The nearest Vet was at least 2 hours drive away and there would not have been anything they could do. I spent the night with her as she slowly stopped breathing and buried her under the largest gumtree we had, next to our old empty dam from the days of channels and water allocation, before pipelines had brought us fresh, clean water from hundreds of kilometres away. After we went yabbying we would hang our nets under the tree while emptying them so she would always race to the tree when she saw us heading there with the nets, eager to watch us catch what she would scavenge from us later in the day. It seemed like the right place. In retrospect I was selfish to let her slip out of life from the poison shutting her body down, even if I convinced myself that in her eyes she did't want it to end so quickly. At that age though I had no concept of death, I can't recall many people I knew dying, compared to the handful I know every year now who pass on or have major, major health issues. Maybe that was the event that opened my ears to the reality of our situation.

Any way, if anyone tries to tell you that animals are nothing like people make sure to tell them to go fuck themselves and I hope your cat goes peacefully.

I'm really sorry Kritz :( I guess if you put him down it would be better than seeing him continue to suffer, and I'm sure he'd be grateful. It must be so hard though. Have you made your decision yet?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just have to know that I'm doing what's best for the cat. And I don't know if emotionally I can handle another week of uncertainty of, am I going to come home from uni or wake up in the morning and just have my cat dead in a corner.

You're doing the best for your cat, and you will continue to do so, because you love and care for him unconditionally. Your bond is natural, and though you may doubt yourself and the situation at times, you'll do the right thing because you genuinely care.

His death will hurt. It will be painful, emotional and the mourning period will linger. But this too is natural. It is the emotional release of loss, one we all must go through.

The beauty of it all is no matter what happens, no matter the pain and hardship, no matter the loss, and his and your suffering, the relationship you've shared, and the time experienced together, is real. It is an absolute reality that nobody can take away. The love and care felt and experienced was genuine, and from it you will forge beautiful, unforgettable memories that will help define your place in life, and reflection on experience and living.

Or, to put it simply, the time you spent together, the love you shared, his place as a pet and friend to you, and the care and comfort you bestowed up on him as his owner, is an experience greatly outweighed by the inevitable separation. The time, love and experience shared so greatly outweighs the hurt of loss it's not even comparable, and it is through this you will remember him.

Shaneus

Fuck, sad pet stories :( The closest I can relate is about a goldfish I had for about 12 years.

Yup.

But obviously nowhere near the emotional attachment of something like a cat or a dog. Actually, possibly this little one, but belonged to a friend.

You've done the right thing, Kritz. Whatever decision you've made would no doubt have been in the best interests of your cat, because no-one else could know your position. EatChildren nailed it, too.

Chin up :)

Kritz dude that sucks. I lost a dog to cancer when I was a kid then a cat to a snakebite, actually that would have been like 10 years ago too. It is horrible when it happens. Sadly putting the cat out of pain is probably the best thing you could do

Rlan

I'm actually up at the Gold Coast over the weekend, staying near Jupiters for a friends birthday on Friday, playing some poker tourney on Saturday, and when that goes topsy turvey I'll probably pop into Supernova.

Any meetups or anything after the thing is over on Saturday?

midonnay

sorry about your cat Kritz....

my dog died suddenly from what was probably pneumonia 5 or 6 years ago.....really traumatic experience and haven't had a pet since.... one day looked alittle worse for wear and dead the next day.

Group hug guys.

grouphugeveryone.jpg

Edit: awkward...

Shaneus

What the fuck happened to this thread? Enough to warrant a title change?

'Arden up, people. Video games REAAWWWRRRRR ARRRGGGHHHHGH etc.

Omikron

I was going to create a mega quote post on returning, but I couldn't be bothered and too annoyed at early morning conf call. :p

Also shaneus, how great was the Chinese gp.

I was going to create a mega quote post on returning, but I couldn't be bothered and too annoyed at early morning conf call. :p

Also shaneus, how great was the Chinese gp.

I'm still in bed playing with the new ICS update on Optus and will mosey along to work ten minutes before hand. Jelly?

Jintor

I think Fez has caused my boss to miss his last three days of work.

I mean, he can since he's got those work from home days, but I kind of need to talk to him about stuff...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Lol at lame thread title change.

Also clip and danoss, thanks for the boardgame ideas, will have a proper look over your posts at lunch and report back the outcomes!

Clipper

Lol at lame thread title change.

Also clip and danoss, thanks for the boardgame ideas, will have a proper look over your posts at lunch and report back the outcomes!

Trust Danoss' post more than mine. He does this a lot more than I do and one of the sites he linked has some massive sales going on right now that make it cheaper than the Amazon prices.

Fuck, sorry kritz. All you lot got me tearing up on the train. My girlfriends dads dog is on the way out currently and it kills me to see him as he is. It doesn't help he's pretty much given up fighting since they had to put their other dog down. Scotties not been the same since. Chin up mate.

Jintor

You haven't been glomped until you've been glomped at an animuz con

that doesn't actually happen in Australia I think but who knows

You haven't been glomped until you've been glomped at an animuz con

that doesn't actually happen in Australia I think but who knows

These are the dangers of cosplaying a recognisable character. Some people think its okay to glomp you because they "know" you. ITS NOT!!11!!

Danoss

I'm excited by the postman's latest delivery, not long after its release.

Lm0CH.jpg

The book looks great and I look forward to reading it soon and eventually running a Cthulhu adventure where players can investigate, confront and run from nightmarish horrors with very little technology at their disposal.

You want a torch to investigate that dilapidated building at night? What's a torch? You mean you want to light a doused rag on fire? Perhaps you'd prefer this lantern, some fuel for it and a book of matches.

You want to give your friend a call? Well, you can call out his name, I'm not sure if he'll hear you from here.

If I ever go to an anime convention I'm going to 'glomp' Goku and or Vegeta.

RUWjN.jpg

Okay then. :p

Rezbit

Vegeta is the bomb.

Also I just played through Starfox 3D. MINE EYES. Haven't played 3DS for a while, gave me a headache. Now I'm just looking at random Starfox vids on Youtube. Starfox 2 on SNES (unreleased) was so damn ambitious and pretty impressive considering the hardware. Take a looksie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom