• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernbaum

It's old, but the AusBoozeGaf crew were promised, so here's a rundown of my Scottish booze haul from March:

Er8ar.jpg

About 200.00 GBP of Scotch. I intentionally picked out things that would be tricky/expensive/impossible to get in Australia. The Cragganmore and Springbok came highly recommended by a friend from the area, and were procured from a well-knon independent store in Stonehaven, south of Aberdeen. When I requested the bottles of those, the store clerk's face lit up with a 'Good Choice!'. The Glengoyne, at 17 years, was the most expensive of the lot but was picked up duty free.

The two little bottles are from the dinky souvenir shop at Edinburgh Castle. I'd tried a sample of the Edinburgh Castle one and it was fine, and got the Tomintoul because what the hell.

The two samplers will get drunk here, and just one of the big boys bottles will get opened whilst I'm here (likely the Cragganmore). Two bottles will be coming back to Aus to share with my dad and for very special occasions like watching X Files DVD's.

-

Here's some Scottish beer:

xgSvs.jpg

Nothing spectacular. The darks were watery and a lacked bite, but the Amber Ale was a winner. Scottish staple 'Belhaven Best' was on tap everywhere and was damn drinkable. Didn't care for Tennent's. Thought it might have been because I've gone off lager but I've been switching to Staropramen draught when I've had my fill of ales and Staropramen is a mighty fine lager indeed.

It tasted better in Prague

-

Finished Pushmo on 3DS. Quite rad.

There is something to be said for games that put a bit of pressure on the old brain muscle. I was listening to an old Idle Thumbs episode today that had Jake talking about a Gabriel Knight adventure game. He described a moment in the game when his solution to a puzzle relied on his familiarity with a soundbite from the game's in-world radio station that helped him determine the day of the week a photograph was taken because the people in the photo were wearing cat ears. Yes, it sucks when adventure games have you at a dead end and you're banging your head against a wall of logic, but it must be indescribably rewarding to outsmart a game like that.

Jintor

Well, that Grim Fandango puzzle is not in any way nearly as nonsensical as the fucking puzzle in the Longest Journey which involves an inflatable duck. The Grim puzzle actually runs on its own internal logic, whereas the rubber duck puzzle relies bizarrely on you realising in combination with a dozen other items and by checking it closely and in one screen of the entire game you can make it into a fishing pole maybe but only if you release it from the seagull by use of bread and oh no I've gone cross-eyed.

markot

Banned
I got stuck right near the start of Grim Fandango >_<

I think it was something to do with putting a guy in a box with these 2 chemical thingys... then I couldnt figure out what do....

midonnay

That there's lots of them :T

its not the adjectives you have to worry about...... its the fucking homonyms....eg: hashi can mean edge, bridge or chopsticks

atsui = various types of "hot"/warm and thick

thats why its good to get kanji down pat as early as possible...

makes learning vocabulary a hundred times easier imo

Also a tip for memorising vocab..... your anki deck should include sentences. Easier to remember words with context

markot

Banned
Also, P&C?! I bet a million internets that no one has finished an entire P&C game without looking at a guide or getting help!

Point and click? Guess and get angry!

Clipper

Also, P&C?! I bet a million internets that no one has finished an entire P&C game without looking at a guide or getting help!

I've done that with a few games. Not every P&C game I've played, but a few. Where's my internets?

Bernbaum

Machinarium, the only P+C game I've played to completion, was the complete FAQ-free experience for me.

Was working a job out of Aramac central Queensland doing 12 hour days plus 30 minute drives each way to site and had only enough time outside of hours for a quick scrub, a pub dinner and an hour of gaming. Refused to use a FAQ even when I was punishingly stuck. I'd sleep on certain puzzles, or a possible solution would come to me between gaming sessions. It was enjoyable, and the low points of frustration add to the feeling of accomplishment when you discover that to open the door you need to rub the thing on the thing and put it over there in the thing.

For many, it's a lost experience as the patience required to play a game like that isn't amenable to current lifestyles and attention spans.

Fogz

Every Telltale game :p
I really like Telltale games but man they're easy!

Some decent gaming related clothing getting cleared out at LOGS. Tempted to grab this for the gf.

Man this past month hasn't been productive. Time to jump into that Code Academy thing I have been getting emails for all month.

Why do you call it logs.

Gifs rape my phones browser. Thanks heaps. Ausgaf is fast becoming unbrowsable like the Wii u megathread.

Turn gifs off in preferences?

I got stuck right near the start of Grim Fandango >_<

I think it was something to do with putting a guy in a box with these 2 chemical thingys... then I couldnt figure out what do....

I got stuck at the start of grim fandango and couldn't be bothered to move on. so i've never played it more than roughly 15 minutes.

commissar

I believe the Gabriel Knight one was that you needed a fake moustache to continue in the game.

My friend described it as something like this:
get cheese
get tape
go to alley
place tape on hole in fence
place cheese in front of hole in fence
wait for mouse to go to cheese
use mouse to entice cat through hole in fence
use cat hair on tape as fake moustache

It may even have been more obtuse than that. He was still pretty angry about it some 15 years later lol

AND BUY BOTANICULA IT'S AWESOME!

Card Boy

Banned
Anyone on the PS3 have the following fighting games MvC2, Street Fighter 3: Online Edition, Ultimate MvC3, SSF4:AE, Tekken 6, MK vs DC Universe or SFxTekken? Skill wise i am very average, i'm not pro by any means.

Drop or PM your PSN ID so i can versus you for some lag free fighting games. I'm not giving mine out as it has my last name in it. Lurkers you see.

Aon

Would anyone be up for INSANELY TWISTED SHADOW PLANET coop tonight on PC?

It's kinda too expensive on Steam atm but I bought it inadvisable anyways.

Obviously not going to work out cos we're Ausgaf,

Sincerely,
These Nuts.

Kritz

Banned

Sincerely,
These Nuts.

Kritz signing in for buying expensive video game we'll only play once.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Games for windows live? Fuck you Aon!

Although that game looks amazing. I love the artstyle and it's sorta shootemup... $15 isn't too bad either.

Fuck.

Rahk

Sincerely,
These Nuts.
How many players is it? I considered preordering it but figured I'd just wait for a sale.

Aon

How many players is it? I considered preordering it but figured I'd just wait for a sale.

Four!

Aon - Rahk - Cookie - Kritz.

Dream Team believe.

Actually I'm going to install and SSD and stuff tonight.

Idea has merit though!

They've already demonstrated contempt for customers, what harm can a horrible box art do?
What contempt? Love me some GOTY edition for $30.

Also you will be happy to know that the GOTY edition of Mortal Kombat doesn't use an Online Pass!

Although actually, fuck you WB! See on that GOTY edition, the DLC has to be claimed before March next year so if you buy it in April you are fucked!

And reviews out of ten. :(
Barely call them reviews, they just noted the presentation and gameplay. I think. The reviews were the worst part of the episode by far. The presenters were quite good though, Kirsty was good which I did not expect after years of gurlgamerz on review shows that always shitted me. All the presenters were genuine about their love of games though which was great to watch. Maybe drop the news and go with some deep analysis and retrospectives on projects.

Rage was 20GB and that sorta wasn't worth it. So nearly needing double the size, fuck. If it is HQ stuff then i'm totally happy to give it 35GB of space.
Rage was huge because of the streaming megatexture system, not sure the deal with Max Payne though unless it is an open world game. Or 40 hours long. Maybe the GOTY edition will be a bit more economical.

It's old, but the AusBoozeGaf crew were promised, so here's a rundown of my Scottish booze haul from March:
I hope they gave you a thorough cavity search.

Was the puzzle I described from Grim Fandango or Gabriel Knight? I've played neither.
The Mustache puzzle is without a doubt the worst fucking example of P&C logic puzzle ever. That fucking cat hair.

When I was a kid I didn't have access to the internet. Played through the first 3 Monkey Island games without any help. Extended the life of the game heaps! I think the first run of CMI took me 25-30 hours compared to the 6 or so I get now!

Why do you call it logs.

I got stuck at the start of grim fandango and couldn't be bothered to move on. so i've never played it more than roughly 15 minutes.
Lord OzGameShop.

Also everyone should get ResidualVM and jump into Grim again! Never liked the controls but the writing and voice acting is superb.

Also vooks no longer works on wp7.
wp7? Is that an Android?

Whoa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KRjuuEVEZs

And Amazon now owns this company.
Blocked at work, detail?

Barely call them reviews, they just noted the presentation and gameplay. I think. The reviews were the worst part of the episode by far.
The content of the reviews was alright, but IMO dropping the number would make more sense. If they're going to use numbers, go all out and show them as graphics on the screen, maybe comparing to others in a series if relevant, etc. But really, it would be better without, and just discuss the game. The numbers do already seem like an afterthought that the reviewer spat out at the end.

Blocked at work, detail?
Automated robot for picking items in warehouses. It goes to the product, grabs a whole shelf, takes it to a picker who takes it from the shelf and packs it, then takes the shelf back to a clear space in the warehouse -- doesn't even have to be the same space.

You're on Optus, right? I thought Youtube was unlimited with Optus' data plans? I'm sure it is on mine...

Alan Wake: American Nightmare in the Steam registry. YES.

You're on Optus, right? I thought Youtube was unlimited with Optus' data plans? I'm sure it is on mine...
It is but I am at work on lunch break so I don't want to disturb everyone.

Also the editing on NG+ was fantastic. Hope that guy got a free beer or something. Much better than other shows I have seen, everything was timely and informative aside from, as you mentioned, not having a score graph or something of that ilk. Having actual gameplay in the reviews was nice.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Whoa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KRjuuEVEZs

And Amazon now owns this company.

That's pretty fucking awesome. I also dislike it since it does simplify the human process a little too much. As much as I can hate my job I also enjoy it because i'm on my feet all the time. I've lost, 10 - 15kgs since I started and been hovering around this weight for a year or so. Going from sitting on my ass playing WoW 24/7 to actually having to move and lift shit is the major cause of the weight loss.

So when I see things like that, It's awesome for those lazy days but staying in the same spot all day long with no real movement would end up causing me to get super fat again. Others might love it though!

Fucking dell, shipping shit out with no power tailgate. GO fuck yourself.

Shaneus

Automated robot for picking items in warehouses. It goes to the product, grabs a whole shelf, takes it to a picker who takes it from the shelf and packs it, then takes the shelf back to a clear space in the warehouse -- doesn't even have to be the same space.
All this reminds me of is the VHS tape battle toward the start of the Hackers movie

Mess with the best, die like the rest.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Are you guys still interested in doing a dota tournament?

I was thinking of trying to run a mini one on wednesday since everyone has the day off. But there's a good chance people will end up doing family stuff. Plus nerds who claim to be social might be busy watching the footy.

Rez. What's with your random posts? The first one was about latex, I figured you might have just had sex for the first time. Now the second one makes no sense. Is it a GRMM book thing?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom