• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
Lol, ken seems to be totally out of it.

Mad jelly for you meeting the two people I want to meet more than anyone else in the world (EDIT: The two Jeffs) :(. ... and maybe Peter Molyneux.

I have very low priorities in my life.

Shaneus

I would hope it is part of the inquiry into why we pay more for digital items when the price shouldn't be such a huge difference. The big issue is that people can get around it by using a US credit card or account, which just shows how fundamentally fucking flawed the idea is. If people can easily bypass the situation then it is basically all about exploiting people who DON'T know how to get around it. Exploiting stupid people is not the way this world should operate.
True. But I could've sworn we were equal with the US on app store prices. My curiosity was not so much in the disparity in general, but that on (effectively) the same shopfront there are two conflicting trains of thought.

Of course, I could be completely wrong if prices are indeed different for apps b/w US and AU, but I hope not.

Edit: Nope.
Song: AU US
App: AU US

Jintor

Great night of random Dota, but don't think you're going to lose having to tell me what to do constantly

Any other heroes that just create waves of minions? That's my scene!

Danoss

Jeff Green is awesome, I'd love to meet him.

I would love to go to PAX and GenCon and meet Fred Hicks, Greg Stolze, D. Vincent Baker, Luke Crane, Adam Scott Glancy, Shane Ivey, Kenneth Hite, and the list goes on. Yep, I'm aware no-one here knows who those people are.

After hearing about your great time over there, Stackboy, I've been really thinking about saving up enough cash to go to both of those events. They are about 2 weeks apart, so it should be doable with some sightseeing in between. It'll be difficult going it alone, but I reckon it'll be worth it.

The Butterfly Effect were so good back in the EP/Begins Here days :(

It seems that the gene which causes it can be contributed by mother or father, or both. Strangely enough, you can have this gene and still not go bald. The gene that causes baldness isn't recessive or dominant, so you can't say for certain what will happen. Whether or not the gene is present from either one parent or both parents just increases the chances of baldness occurring..
Which is why even some brothers can have one going bald at 18 and the other looking fine at 30. Too damn random! Maybe it is faith based.

Max Payne 2 is... different.

I am playing it straight after 1 and I am really not sure I like a) the control changes (probably just because I got so used to the first) and b) the fact the game is a LOT easier. You are almost a bullet sponge compared to the first one.

Other than that, I remember little of this game, yay for old age!
You are worse than Hitler sir. A pox on your PC.

Doesn't help that you are forced to play on Easy for the first playthrough. YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING FOR THE STORY THOUGH!

Also the controls are way better, much more fluid and logical. Nothing more fun than unloading a full clip into mofos and doing a super slomo spin reload into killing more mofos. Also slo mo slide jumping into a prone on the floor as you unload the clip.

*SPLODGE*

PAX East
535719_10150927222057892_521247891_13044211_499728920_n.jpg
How is that polio going. Ken always looks like he has had a stroke at some point, maybe it is just that his mind is off being brilliant while his flesh is stuck on this mortal plane.

True. But I could've sworn we were equal with the US on app store prices. My curiosity was not so much in the disparity in general, but that on (effectively) the same shopfront there are two conflicting trains of thought.

Of course, I could be completely wrong if prices are indeed different for apps b/w US and AU, but I hope not.

Edit: Nope.
Song: AU US
App: AU US
In any case I will admit that JDownloader picks up SoundCloud no problem. I feel dirty but I hate iTunes :(

Sup everyone.
Welcome back my lord!

Danoss

For those who're keen for some of that Roll20 action, here's their latest update in case you're interested.

Roll20 said:
Today is the last day of the Kickstarter. If you haven't already, there are 14 hours remaining to pledge your support for Roll20 and join us during the closed beta.

Beyond that, we're inviting you to join us tonight for our weekly game, which we will be live streaming on Twitch.tv:

http://www.twitch.tv/roll20app

This is NOT meant to be a huge question and answer session-- we'll be busy playing our own game. Nor is it really meant to be an in depth demonstration-- we'll be playing our basic game, the way we play it. There will be homebrewed elements and inside jokes, and all manner of things that could make the stream unenjoyable for some of you (did we mention we've never done this streaming thing before?). BUT we wanted to give a sneak peek to you of this system doing what it does best: allowing friends to gather around a table and tell stories together.

So, those of you that are interested, we'll see you tonight starting at 8:00 PM U.S. Central Time (9:00 PM Eastern). We'll also send out an announcement on our Twitter feed when the broadcast is starting.

And for everyone who will be joining us for the beta, we hope to have you starting your own stories this week.

I believe the time difference would mean the stream starts around 11am AEST.

Frawdder

The Butterfly Effect were so good back in the EP/Begins Here days :(
They really were. It's sad to see them breaking up but it all went downhill after Begins Here. I wasn't likely to stay interested for anything else they produced had they continued on though.

I saw them last time they toured late last year and their set-list was in chronological order (I'm sure you can see the problem with this already). The show starts and it's amazing, awesome tracks from the EP and then a bunch from Begins Here. Then I start losing interest as they continue to their newer stuff...those songs...just...no. Still doesn't take away from the fact the first ~25 minutes was damn good.

So it's 3:48 am and I am sitting here at Brisbane international airport waiting for the flight that'll take me to Sydney, thence to Canada.

Apart from a barrel of maple syrup, what should I get while I'm there?

midonnay

hmmmm..... labor's situation is so fucked that even Kevin Rudd is having second thoughts about taking the poison chalice if Gillard falls on her sword.... >_>

wonder if the fuckwits are having second thoughts about the character assassination a couple of months ago.

Yagharek

Good, Bern.

Also, Omi - I am done with football. Pack it up.

Done? As in, because citeh won or because of their fans reaction?

I hate citeh and a few of their players, but the bug three have won enough. Since Newcastle and spurs can't win, that leaves one option. However, de jong can gagf.

Stackboy

Jeff Green is awesome, I'd love to meet him.

I would love to go to PAX and GenCon and meet Fred Hicks, Greg Stolze, D. Vincent Baker, Luke Crane, Adam Scott Glancy, Shane Ivey, Kenneth Hite, and the list goes on. Yep, I'm aware no-one here knows who those people are.

After hearing about your great time over there, Stackboy, I've been really thinking about saving up enough cash to go to both of those events. They are about 2 weeks apart, so it should be doable with some sightseeing in between. It'll be difficult going it alone, but I reckon it'll be worth it.

PAX East was just about the happiest place I have been as a gamer. It was so excellent to be in a crowd of 70000 gamers who are as excited about games as I am. I didn't hear a negative comment all weekend and that was so refreshing, especially since most of my friends are a pack of miserable cynical gamers. Going back next year for sure. Ausgaf assemble in Boston?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Are there any headphones out there that are better than the AD700s in a similar price range? I've noticed that there isn't a lot of stores out there selling them these days, which has made me wonder if there's something better that's more popular.

Danoss

PAX East was just about the happiest place I have been as a gamer. It was so excellent to be in a crowd of 70000 gamers who are as excited about games as I am. I didn't hear a negative comment all weekend and that was so refreshing, especially since most of my friends are a pack of miserable cynical gamers. Going back next year for sure. Ausgaf assemble in Boston?

That sounds great, it really seems like an awesome place to be.

I'd have to have a job and save before I could make arrangements. I would want to go to PAX Prime though, since that seems the closest time-wise to GenCon.

Agyar

Are there any headphones out there that are better than the AD700s in a similar price range? I've noticed that there isn't a lot of stores out there selling them these days, which has made me wonder if there's something better that's more popular.

They're just too good and everyone bought them all so you better get in quick before it's too late and you have to buy Sennheisers.

Stackboy

That sounds great, it really seems like an awesome place to be.

I'd have to have a job and save before I could make arrangements. I would want to go to PAX Prime though, since that seems the closest time-wise to GenCon.

The level of access to developers and the community is incredible. Knowing what the experience is like now, I have to go back again next year. Plus my sister and her family are in DC for two years so it makes it more worthwhile to visit again.

Kritz

Banned
So, something that's been n my mind a bit recently.

Has anyone used Coles self checkout? HOLY SHIT THEY ARE TERRIBLE. The UI is shit, the weighting thing under the bags doesn't detect my shit half the time, if I buy large items it's annoying to fit them in the bag area, and every single time I use them a staff member has to swipe the thing to fix the unexplainable error message that I myself can't exit out of.

Like, who the fuck designed this? It's such a shitty job. The bad cgi animations of people, the horrible touch interface... Man.

By comparison the woolworths ones are alright, and rarely fuck up.

I was buying some cat food, scanned three of the things, but for some reason the second one thought it wasn't bagged, despite the fact it was. Even the person who came to help because the machine was bitching couldn't fix it. So I didn't know, and neither did the lady, if the alarms would go off if it thought that I was Ealing this thing instead of paying for it.

I shouldn't even have to scan any item that isn't paid by weight. Like, if I'm not getting any meat or fruit, just RFID my entire shopping cart at once.

Maybe they're bad just so the clerks don't lose jobs. Instead of being checkout chicks, they get paid to stand around and swipe their ID cards all day.

Maybe it's just the Tasmanian checkout ones?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
There's a Coles in walking distance, so I get all my groceries there. I always use self-checkout and the whole thing usually works completely fine. Sometimes I'll have to press a button twice or something, but as far as such a demographically-wide, constantly in use bit of UI goes, I think it does what it needs to do relatively well.

jambo

It's not just Tassie Kritz, the Coles ones that I have used in Adelaide have been shit too.

The one's I use at Woolies in town are perfect, can't remember the last time I had an issue with them.

Clipper

Perhaps it is the Tasmanian ones. I've never had an issue, apart from one time that I used a credit card and had to wait for the person to come over as I needed to sign or something. I haven't needed to do it in a long time, though, it was probably only a first time thing.

I also only ever have about 5 items at most to check out (Lite'n'Easy means I only buy milk, toiletries and cleaning products these days), so perhaps that's why I never have that much trouble.

Danoss

I've used the Coles ones here in Sydney and they're fine. I remember when Woolies first put them in, they were no different than your experience, error after error, it was ridiculous. I find them both fine now, though I've found that some specials didn't work on the self-checkout things at Woolies, which is pretty evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom