• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you get used to them and their unique foibles, both Coles and Woolies self-checkouts are fine. My general rule of thumb is that if I have more than a single basket of stuff, I'll line up since I'm much slower than the trained staff.

Kritz

Banned
I just hate self-checkouts as a whole. Machine uprising and all that.

The thing is, I love the idea. I love new technology and making things seem like the future. But the Coles ones just... They're not good. It just feels like there shouldn't even be the little issues, it should just work. Automation and all that.

Also, it's like, in ten years these things will be replaced by some crazy thing that just lets you walk through a gate and it automatically charges your credit card and all that bullshit. But now it just feels like, they implemented this half assed thing that's about as slow as going through someone who gets paid to check out your shit. The system is fine for 5 or less items, but I'd still rather wait in a line for a few minutes than go through them.

I think I just want them to be a bit more approachable for power users. Which is a funny concept, I guess. Just give me a straight up command line and a keyboard and I'll go through that shit instantly.

Suppose it's ironic that I have trouble with things that try to be too user friendly.

Kritz

Banned
I like the idea that the Tasmanian self check outs are somehow different to the rest of the country. Amazing.

Dude when I was in Melbourne everything looked like it was 10 years ahead. I wouldn't doubt that our checkouts are absolute shit compared to mainland. You guys have giant fucking LCD screens over everything telling me all kinds of shit.

jambo

Dude when I was in Melbourne everything looked like it was 10 years ahead. I wouldn't doubt that our checkouts are absolute shit compared to mainland. You guys have giant fucking LCD screens over everything telling me all kinds of shit.

We have one of those in Rundle Mall for some reason, but all it plays is ads =\

Put the cricket on ffs

Also, it's like, in ten years these things will be replaced by some crazy thing that just lets you walk through a gate and it automatically charges your credit card and all that bullshit.
RFID grocery stores have been an idea that hasn't come to fruition for decades. But yeah, the idea of picking something off the shelf, putting it in the trolley, the display on the trolley telling you the item (and if you buy another one you'll save 30%!), the price, and the new total, and then having it charged to your account (using the NFC in your phone that you scanned when you took the trolley) as you walk out is a pretty nice idea.

Not holding my breath, though, since the idea's been around forever.

Clipper

Probably final SydGAF reminder post:

Day: Sunday, May 6th, 2012
Time: 10AM-4PM or thereabouts
Place: PM me if you don't know already
Games: Munchkin, Discworld: Ankh Morpork, Ticket to Ride, Merchants & Marauders (maybe or whatever else Danoss brings)
Confirmed: Clipper, Danoss, Jintor
Probably not coming, but there's still a slight chance: Doncamatic, Rahk

It's looking like I might be having a day off the diet on that day too, yay!

And if anybody is interested in a non-gaming SydGAF meetup, please let us know as there seems to be absolutely zero interest from my previous attempts.

Stackboy

Self checkouts are great when the people in front of you know how to use them. Plus it means I never have to talk to anyone at the supermarket if I don't want to.

I saw them last time they toured late last year and their set-list was in chronological order (I'm sure you can see the problem with this already). The show starts and it's amazing, awesome tracks from the EP and then a bunch from Begins Here. Then I start losing interest as they continue to their newer stuff...those songs...just...no. Still doesn't take away from the fact the first ~25 minutes was damn good.
That must have been the Effected tour, they just released a retrospective album with the same chrono order. First half is fantastic! The second album was okay, if a little middling with some murky mixing making it nowhere near as bombastic and powerful as Begins Here. The Final Kings album was not developed enough, needed a lot more work on the songwriting to get it up to a decent standard. They broke through enough to allow bands like Karnivool and Dead Letter Circus to be successful though, which is the best part of the legacy they leave.

Also Clint's other band wasn't great. They had one decent track and all the others on the EP were terrible.

Apart from a barrel of maple syrup, what should I get while I'm there?
Shoot yourself a mountie and his horse to slice open and keep you warm in the snow storms up there.

Also rag on the French Canadians for being French and snootie. Also they surrender too easily and eat cheese too much. Also are monkeys.

Has anyone used Coles self checkout? HOLY SHIT THEY ARE TERRIBLE.

Maybe it's just the Tasmanian checkout ones?
I am impressed you guys have computer systems at your supermarkets to be honest. things have come a long way baby!

Also I don't think I have used one at Coles, rarely ever venture out of Safeway or Aldi. The ones in Geelong were awesome, worked perfectly and saved a hell of a lot of time. I hate that they don't have them down here as the Safeway never has more than one or two attendants after 6pm and it takes FOREVER to buy my one pack of Red Rock Deli chips that I wanted on an impulse.

I just hate self-checkouts as a whole. Machine uprising and all that.
My fiancee has the same unexplained hatred of them. I think it is like old people deploring ATM's and post boxes.

Jintor

If anybody has any suggestions for good in-ear headphones that won't lose the sound in one ear after roughly six months of use, and/or knows of cheap decent ones that I won't mind replacing every six months, now would be a great time to spread your knowledge.

Fucking audio-technicas survived two trips to the other side of the world, goddamnit.

Also rag on the French Canadians for being French and snootie. Also they surrender too easily and eat cheese too much. Also are monkeys.
Gotta love how Americans forget that if it weren't for the French they may still be a British colony.

If anybody has any suggestions for good in-ear headphones that won't lose one ear after roughly six months of use, and/or knows of cheap decent ones that I won't mind replacing every six months, now would be a great time to spread your knowledge.
Still really happy with my Shure SE215s that were suggested to me in this very forum!

Reptile are you going to attend the jumps this week?

Shaneus

I prefer self-service checkouts because they tend to be far friendlier than the people who usually serve me.

Also, this needs to be quoted here because I'm pretty happy about it and it's Australia fuck yeah etc.:
wT3rW.png

XMzrk.png

LsiQ1.png

HOCDZ.jpg

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I love the silence on Twitter whenever I post something about the lack of morals and ethics of some game journos.

It's like the subject no one wants to talk about.

Also, self serve checkouts the best for buying condoms. (or feminine products when you gotta rush out for someone else).

Stackboy

I love the silence on Twitter whenever I post something about the lack of morals and ethics of some game journos.

It's like the subject no one wants to talk about.

Of course no one wants to talk about it, they want to keep their jobs and not stir the pot. And perhaps twitter isn't the place to air grievances like that.

Jintor

In the handbook, there’s a random reference to ponies. What’s with the ponies?

Oh, if you leave your phone at your desk someone will use it to send an email that says “I like ponies.” Some people will make more and more elaborate photos of ponies that people might like. There are some incredibly entertaining characters who work here.

Of course, then everybody found out that I actually like the TV show My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic so I never hear the end of it.

Oh, Gabe.

[carefully ignores Vooks' post]

VOOK

Of course no one wants to talk about it, they want to keep their jobs and not stir the pot. And perhaps twitter isn't the place to air personal grievances.

I don't have no personal grievance. The bullshit surrounding Call of Duty every year is just, well bullshit. Everyone knows when it's coming out, what it's called but we signed an NDA so we can't say! Better let marketing run its course.

I realize all of this means any PR people reading my stuff will never trust me with anything, but then again I probably wouldn't sign it anyway.

I mean look at this shit, Call of Duty reveal tonight at 9:45pm? Are all the media sites going to report whatever on there or do they hold on their NDA. Is the NDA up then?

Not stir the pot? Jeez isn't that was journalism is?

New Dead Letter Circus single on Triple J. Not bad. Very light, very vocal focused. Not great, need the bombastic guitars from the first EP. They were just as good as Cog when I saw them on the post-release tour for The New Normal.

If anybody has any suggestions for good in-ear headphones that won't lose the sound in one ear after roughly six months of use, and/or knows of cheap decent ones that I won't mind replacing every six months, now would be a great time to spread your knowledge.

Fucking audio-technicas survived two trips to the other side of the world, goddamnit.
I use some super cheap arse Logitech ones for my walks/run and they go in and out of my jacket pocket to, around and from work so they have held up a LOT better than I thought they would. UE200's, I think I got 4 in a pack for $18 during a sale about 12 months ago. Sound quality is decent, nothing special, no big bass boost but work fine for me, especially after playing with the equalizer on my phone.

Reptile are you going to attend the jumps this week?
If we can get a babysitter maybe. I really would only go to get drunk, which I can just do at home! $15 to get in and then it would be something stupid like $8 for a beer I bet. Although if you are heading down this way let me know!

Also, self serve checkouts the best for buying condoms. (or feminine products when you gotta rush out for someone else).
But then you miss out on the look of a brain ticking over, wondering if you are buying it for someone or if you just like to carry them for emergencies.

jambo

Journalism would be reporting of events/facts one would think, or at least to inform. Not stirring the pot.

Yes, but in the case of gaming journalism it's the publishers telling the journos when and how they can report the events/facts.

Gaming JournalismPR

This blanket statement is not meant to blanket all. Plenty of good writers out there like Serrels, Vook, Jintor (although I haven't read much of your stuff man), Chris Kohler, etc)

Omikron

Yes, but in the case of gaming journalism it's the publishers telling the journos when and how they can report the events/facts.

I await the next expose on a game company and their next release without publisher/developer involvement.

Jintor

Gaming JournalismPR

This blanket statement is not meant to blanket all. Plenty of good writers out there like Serrels, Vook, Jintor (although I haven't read much of your stuff man), Chris Kohler, etc)

I don't have a lot of fieldwork articles around unfortunately. No time.

VOOK

Journalism would be reporting of events/facts one would think, or at least to inform. Not stirring the pot.

From Wikipedia;

Journalism is the investigation and reporting of events, issues and trends to a broad audience.

No one on AusGAF is a shitty game journo.

I await the next expose on a game company and their next release without publisher/developer involvement.

Go ask any Independent game developer on Twitter for an interview, you'll get it. No PR required.

If we can get a babysitter maybe. I really would only go to get drunk, which I can just do at home! $15 to get in and then it would be something stupid like $8 for a beer I bet. Although if you are heading down this way let me know!
Nah, not interested in horse racing let alone jumps racing. A guy at work has taken the whole week off to go to the meet and I was really wondering how much of a big deal it is around the rest of Warrnambool.

Omikron

Go ask any Independent game developer on Twitter for an interview, you'll get it. No PR required.

So that means every major developer should do it too? Insane.

Every other industry where current projects are 'secret' or at least under wraps or whatever stay that way for a reason. Sure a new CoD is hardly a surprise, but you understand the point I am sure.

Big difference; the small guys usually need the publicity whereas the bigger guys often have shareholders they have to please and a management hierarchy making things difficult. If you cornered a lot of the developers at big houses in a pub they'd likely talk your ears off if they cared about the project at all.

markot

Banned
From 12:00 (midday) tomorrow, 2nd May 2012 – Samsung will begin rolling out the Android 4.0.3 “Ice Cream Sandwich” update for the GALAXY S II handset.

Awesome!

Choc

Banned
self serve checkouts are awesome for teenage men buying condoms

dont you remember how difficult that was boys ;)

I love self checkouts. Best idea ever. The coles ones in my area are fantastic and rarely fuck up. Safeway ones have fucked up more for me overall, but I shop at coles more.

VOOK

So that means every major developer should do it too? Insane.

Every other industry where current projects are 'secret' or at least under wraps or whatever stay that way for a reason. Sure a new CoD is hardly a surprise, but you understand the point I am sure.

I'm not really disputing the secrecy. Yes NDA's are there for a reason, yes you should follow them. But at the same time don't run bullshit teasing stories or stories with rumours that are lying to your fanbase if you know the truth.

Simply just don't run anything. But hits > respect. I guess. That's what I'm trying to say here.

Big difference; the small guys usually need the publicity whereas the bigger guys often have shareholders they have to please and a management hierarchy making things difficult. If you cornered a lot of the developers at big houses in a pub they'd likely talk your ears off if they cared about the project at all.

True, sadly developers rarely get to speak and it's left up to PR mouth pieces who just try and sell the game. Which is why I love the Iwata Asks features and when Ken Levine, Warren Specter all do interviews. It's 'their' game.

You didn't post it Omi, I actually remarked to myself that you hadn't come in here happy about it!

From 12:00 (midday) tomorrow, 2nd May 2012 – Samsung will begin rolling out the Android 4.0.3 “Ice Cream Sandwich” update for the GALAXY S II handset.

Awesome!
What providers? Optus got it about 2 weeks ago I guess.

Nah, not interested in horse racing let alone jumps racing. A guy at work has taken the whole week off to go to the meet and I was really wondering how much of a big deal it is around the rest of Warrnambool.
Everywhere is booked out for the week. A few of our contractors are out of action for the week as races started today ahead of the big race on Thursday, which is a public holiday here. Kind of on the same level as Melbourne Cup for the town. Make it hard to get supplies for work too.

i do think they should put an item limit on them

watching people put full trollies through is just dumb
They effectively do by bunching them up and making it hard to get a trolley into the area. Depends store by store of course how much room they have in the area.

VOOK

4.0.3? Why?!

http://i.imgur.com/Znj3U.png?1?4323IMG]
(whoops! that was a big picture!)[/QUOTE]

Cos Android.

[quote="Choc, post: 37455687"]i do think they should put an item limit on them

watching people put full trollies through is just dumb[/QUOTE]

9/10 they're the ones who fuck it up.

[quote="Omi, post: 37455821"]No one reads my posts. :~(

[spoiler]I think I might have posted about 4.0.3 on IRC[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

I read your posts, you have a mustache.

VOOK

Much better than the hour this morning I spent trying to get bookmarks onto my iPad because iCloud kept screwing things up on both sides. Besides, it's Samsung and the carrier's faults in this instance.

The only problem I've had with iCloud is...

No wait, before iCloud I used Google to sync my Contacts and Calendar on iOS. Getting them into iCloud without accidently erasing them was the only problem I had.

And yeah, I know it's the Carriers fault.

And time to go back to my new/old avatar.

Shaneus

Jesus. Just found out that a homicide involving four people today in Melbourne involved the cousin of one of my coworkers. Holy shit.

midonnay

Josh Kennedy (of the west coast eagles) out for 12 weeks :O

so we've lost our top two scoring options for just about the whole season (along with lecras)

VOOK

I almost have a borderline beard going on at present. I blame ridiculous work deadlines.

I've been doing the whole 'grow a beard and trim it back with hair clippers' for months. Can't be arsed shaving.

Have to go to my cousins Nonna's funeral on Friday, will have to for that though.

Josh Kennedy (of the west coast eagles) out for 12 weeks :O

so we've lost our top two scoring options for just about the whole season (along with lecras)

Shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom