• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Incidentally, I dont see anything wrong with mandatory agriculture. It's a very useful science, and more people should be at the very least engaged in growing their own food on some level.

I can't grow much more complicated things than silver beet.

Fredescu

Getting an understanding of the most common belief system among people they're likely to interact with is pretty useful too.

Deeku

That same school is also known for being really really good at Rugby. They basically thrash every other school except for maybe one or two schools.

It's a weird combo: smartest kids in nsw and biggest/best rugby players.

Edit: errr, I lied. Got mixed up with another school. St Josephs is the Tongan recruiting school.

Yagharek

Of all the devils I've advocated for, this one is the hardest.

Indeed.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's salient to introduce people to a cursory level of understanding of several religions. It is an important context to all sorts of things (mostly wars throughout history).

You could go through things like:
Christianity: origins (Judaism, pagan appropriation), reformation, protestantism
Islam: sunni/shiite/shia differentiation, seven pillars, origin of the prophet etc
Judaism: zoroastrian origin, absence of heaven belief, holocaust, diaspora and Israel
Buddhsim: going to plead ignorance here other than the name Siddartha Guateama or something
Hinduism: more ignorance

Not much need to go through all the various creeds and whatnot. Do that shit in your own time.

Incidentally, I dont see anything wrong with mandatory agriculture. It's a very useful science, and more people should be at the very least engaged in growing their own food on some level.

I can't grow much more complicated things than silver beet.

Well yeah, it would be useful. But really there are so many subjects that are important, and if we tried to fit them all in there wouldn't be time to learn them properly.

Dead Man

Ive been doing some volunteering teaching migrant English. I'm really enjoying it, it's so rewarding. I feel like I should get a better grasp of English grammar though. Japanese grammar makes sense, English does not. No one seems to think I'm old enough to be doing it though ;.; the tesol teacher I was working with couldn't believe I was older then 15 =/ some lady told me off last week for being out so late on a school night too. Getting kind of weirded out...

Nothing has demonstrated how stupid the English language is to me quicker than working with asylum seekers. They ask the simplest questions about their homework, and my only answer is 'because that's the way it is'. English is a stupid language.

Getting an understanding of the most common belief system among people they're likely to interact with is pretty useful too.

Comparative religion, especially with a world wide focus, is incredibly useful. Not sure that is what most of these schools have, and most of the good stuff is more appropriate an a tertiary level anyway.

Jintor

Ive been doing some volunteering teaching migrant English. I'm really enjoying it, it's so rewarding. I feel like I should get a better grasp of English grammar though. Japanese grammar makes sense, English does not. No one seems to think I'm old enough to be doing it though ;.; the tesol teacher I was working with couldn't believe I was older then 15 =/ some lady told me off last week for being out so late on a school night too. Getting kind of weirded out...

I want my tesol licence :T

I was thinking of doing a course post-grad... but then, I was thinking of doing ANOTHER media course at UTS post-grad... or doing a pure journalism course post-grad...

DOTA2.jpg

BETS
i made that if anyone wants to use it

edit:i dont know if it makes you make an account to use it but if it does just pm me in steam and i can place your bet for you.

Pouring one out for my alterna-rock Aussie bands of the past. You made my teenage years very head noddy. The Butterfly Effect at their peak and Cog playing my favourite track of theirs.

oh damn i missed it! Hopefully they'll put it up on youtube soon
Here is the jPlay page and the single art. Shouldn't take more than another few plays for it to pop up. Hopefully it is on request tonight, only found out about it today at lunchtime.

He took the bumsecks to get the guy to dob in Slipper, I know it, you know it, we all know it.

Fucking Christopher Pyne. I hate that guy. Sleazy little fuck.
Is anyone shocked that the Liberals aren't involved in the allegations? Straight away I thought that it was perfect timing for it to all come out now rather than years ago what with the shit position Labor are in at the moment. Wouldn't even be surprised if the media will have a hand to trying to force an early election, would be a profit booster for them as long as it doesn't turn all Murdoch for them.

Dead Man already knows this, but god fucking damn do I hate christian fundie schools. Bunch of hypocritic misogynistic, racist, homophobic bigoted anti-democratic government money stealing FUCKS.
Something happen champ?

I wonder if there are any private schools that are secular in nature, which attract good quality teachers and resources? That's the kind of stuff I'd pay for for any future kids I may have.
The fiancée has had her heart set on a private school but I have always believed it is better to pick based on the school itself rather than if it is public or private, thankfully the best school we have found down here in our minds is a public one so I don't have to get a third job and my son can be involved in whatever kind of activity he could ever want.

I went to a christian (uniting church) school. It was actually quite good in the way it handled religion.

Instead of doing 'religion' as a subject, we instead did 'faith and values' which just taught basic life skills and values (compassion, sharing, all that jazz) thats applicable across any religion.

By year 11/12 the school starts organising excursions to churches, mosques, synagogues, etc to give us a chance to experience different religions. I thought its a pretty balanced way to educate, especially considering even though it was a christian school, you didnt need to be christian to send your kids there.
My partner is part of the Uniting church and we baptised our son with them mainly because I found them cool to deal with. No doom and gloom, just trying to better each other and spread warmth and happiness rather than force you to live a certain way.

I like religions like that.

I get the impression that most religious schools are pretty normal and well rounded and not the browbeating kind. I get what Vince is saying about mandatory RE classes being a bit of a waste, but the high school with the best academic results for the last 15 years in NSW has mandatory agriculture.
I wish every school had mandatory applied learning. You keep what you have learnt sooooo much more if you actual can see and use the real world applications of that theory. After all, a theory is nothing but words if it cannot be proved in an experiment.

Same reason we don't just read a book to a child, you take him down the street or to a farm and show him what you are talking about. Then he can smell it, feel it and, most important of all, enjoy it. An enjoyable experience will have a lasting effect for life. So fuck sitting behind a desk all your life without getting your hands dirty and seeing what it is all about. Creates a much more rounded human being.

Of all the devils I've advocated for, this one is the hardest.
Without a doubt. I will fight to the death for the right for people to believe in whatever they want, as long as it doesn't not harm another human being or force their choices onto another human being.

It is incredibly important to study the history of religion and the effect it has had on people, on how it has shaped and developed the world we live in. To ignore that would be the biggest mistake we could make, without understanding what has gone before we are destined to repeat our mistakes and put ourselves in danger.

I don't want my son to grow up in a world where his faith decides how he is accepted by another.

Public school pleb represent.
Pmo0R.gif

awwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeh.

I want my tesol licence :T

I was thinking of doing a course post-grad... but then, I was thinking of doing ANOTHER media course at UTS post-grad... or doing a pure journalism course post-grad...

I'm just doing a short course in tesol, so that might be an option if you're stuck for time. Plus you're already doing journalism stuff right? That might be enough to get you the job a journalism dip would.

I feel your pain completely though. Do I do a post grad in interpreting, or int relations, or tesol, or teaching @_@ or do I go out into the world and stop studying for a while?

Exactly. So fuck RE off first.

Yup. My school was pretty good. We had a subject called "goals" which rotated subjects every semester; things like religion, sex ed, rock climbing, first aid, orienteering etc. The religious ed class was a complete waste of time though. Was mostly just everyone sitting in a big circle with the chaplain who was some hip guy in his twenties trying to get people to go on bible camps. We didn't really learn about different kinds of religion or anything. One of the questions on the exam was actually "was Jesus reincarnated? If so, what as?" as a point of reference as to the quality of the subject. If people are interested in religion, they can learn about it in their time.

Nothing has demonstrated how stupid the English language is to me quicker than working with asylum seekers. They ask the simplest questions about their homework, and my only answer is 'because that's the way it is'. English is a stupid language.

Oooh, I wonder if we're doing something similar. How are you working with them?

Deeku

Bought 3 flavours of the new RRD corn chips :D

Sea salt is crap. Pepper cheddar is great - like a better CC's. Will try the chilli and lime later, it looks pretty good on the packaging!

Delta somehow looks extra hot tonight on the voice:eek:

Dead Man

4lyfe

Oooh, I wonder if we're doing something similar. How are you working with them?

I'm working with unaccompanied minor asylum seekers, case work and some residential work in their community detention too.

What are you doing?

Bought 3 flavours of the new RRD corn chips :D

Sea salt is crap. Pepper cheddar is great - like a better CC's. Will try the chilli and lime later, it looks pretty good on the packaging!

Delta somehow looks extra hot tonight on the voice:eek:

Those corn chips are godly, love the cheddar and peppers. Have a pack of of the chili and lime waiting for me.

Jintor

I'm just doing a short course in tesol, so that might be an option if you're stuck for time. Plus you're already doing journalism stuff right? That might be enough to get you the job a journalism dip would.

I feel your pain completely though. Do I do a post grad in interpreting, or int relations, or tesol, or teaching @_@ or do I go out into the world and stop studying for a while?

Well I was definitely going to do my best to zark off to Japan for a year or two with JET

Hoo-ah.

Clipper

Yay, Lego R2-D2 is out! It's tough, but I'm going to need to wait for another fortnight to buy it, though. It looks like my Walmart copy of Diablo III Collector's Edition might exist after all, so I'll try to get them shipped together.

And for those too lazy to click the link, here's the amazing 2,127 pieces of awesome:
r2d2.jpg

Shaneus

I thought you only cared about cans of anchovies and stuffy old songs about the buttocks!

Also damnit, I want some of those corn chips. The chili and lime ones were nice, but I wouldn't mind giving cheddar and peppers a go, given it sounds like they'd be a more refined CC's, like you said deek.

Also forgot to say that GAME have/had limited stock available again today of the Diablo 3 CE.

Also this thread is a haven of fucking trolls, seriously.

lol, high level cultural debate.

Tenuous. If the men are there because they have a reason to be there it should be allowed. Like, if they have a child with them or their partner.

If they don't have a child they have no need to be there.

Also damnit, I want some of those corn chips. The chili and lime ones were nice, but I wouldn't mind giving cheddar and peppersa go, given it sounds like they'd be a more refined CC's, like you said deek.
Beez Neez kid! Get down to Safeway and wrap your face around the flavour sensation of RRD Corn CHips! Chedda And Peppa!

Demolition Man shit, right there. Zones ?
Maybe they designate it depending on how wet the experience will make you, splash zones and such, so you know to bring a poncho.

Clipper

Wow 180 is pretty good! When I saw the pic I was thinking 500+.

Yeah, but note that it's the US shop, so you need to add shipping from a reshipper in the US. The price from the local store is $250 and you still pay about $25-$35 shipping on top of that, I think. Still not bad, but a chunk more.

If you want one, I could order another to make further savings on the shipping for both of us, though ;).

Yagharek

a
Yup. My school was pretty good. We had a subject called "goals" which rotated subjects every semester; things like religion, sex ed, rock climbing, first aid, orienteering etc. The religious ed class was a complete waste of time though. Was mostly just everyone sitting in a big circle with the chaplain who was some hip guy in his twenties trying to get people to go on bible camps. We didn't really learn about different kinds of religion or anything. One of the questions on the exam was actually "was Jesus reincarnated? If so, what as?" as a point of reference as to the quality of the subject. If people are interested in religion, they can learn about it in their time.

One of the guys I went to uni with used to go to bible camps. He was probably the most intelligent, understated person I have ever met, and thats compared to another girl who earnt a rhodes scholarship in the same class (they were both dux at the uni I went to).

Anyway, he went to bible camp and converted a few people to atheism.

Whoa... Whoa... Red Rock Deli makes CORN CHIPS?! Coles detour on the way home tomorrow.

The third shell is responsible for the DVD dubbing of 'Pizza Hut' over 'Taco Bell'.
Totally forgot that happened! It was always Taco Bell to me from he VHS copies I used to watch.

Deeku

Anyone tried the triple cheese flavour of the RRD corn chips? I was gonna grab them as well but decided not to since I wasn't sure how strong the cheesyness would be.

Clipper said:
If you want one, I could order another to make further savings on the shipping for both of us, though ;).
Nah, not much of a lego or star wars fan, but thanks:) Look forward to your pics of it when it's built!

Whoa... Whoa... Red Rock Deli makes CORN CHIPS?! Coles detour on the way home tomorrow.
Join us! Protip, you need to look in the corn chips section. I actually couldn't find them the first few times because I thought they'd just be with the other RRD's:/

New COD could be cool, only if Sledgehammer handle most of the campaign, BLOPS was so forgettable I can't even remember anything other than hunky Woods and some silly Avatar Aussie dude.

Safeway has then for 2 for $6!

New COD could be cool, only if Sledgehammer handle most of the campaign, BLOPS was so forgettable I can't even remember anything other than hunky Woods and some silly Avatar Aussie dude.

Safeway has then for 2 for $6!
Best part of BLOPS was the chase on the Hong Kong rooftops. Probably the only good bit, or at least the bit I remember.

There's no Safeway between home and the office. Dilemma!

Jintor

The "GAF Recommendations that burned you" thread makes me angry. Angry! Bayonetta haters falling outta the woodwork!

Deeku

The "GAF Recommendations that burned you" thread makes me angry. Angry! Bayonetta haters falling outta the woodwork!
I would probably say Radiant Historia, the game just never grabbed me. Only playing it for like 4 hours might be the problem, though.

Oh Scribblenauts as well, but at least I got a rooster hat out of it!

Kritz said:
FUCK YOU

PRIVATE SCHOOLS YEAH :<

I'll be over in the corner.
The cool kids corner!

Jintor

The cool kids corner!

Lame kids corner.

I tried playing Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 since I was really enjoying Theme Hospital, but if you have trouble with Theme Hospital's UI, Rollercoaster Tycoon will fucking roll you up and spit you out. I think Dwarf Fortress's UI was easier to get to grips with.

Public schools rock.

Lame kids corner.

I tried playing Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 since I was really enjoying Theme Hospital, but if you have trouble with Theme Hospital's UI, Rollercoaster Tycoon will fucking roll you up and spit you out. I think Dwarf Fortress's UI was easier to get to grips with.

My fiancée grew up playing a few hundred hours of Caesar 3, Pharaoh and every old Sim/Tycoon game so she will pick it up again quickly :)

Shaneus

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 pack for $20 at GOG! Would prefer $10 but I have been trying to get the whole collection for the fiancée for ages now.
I already have 2 in GOG (that I have not yet installed lolz). Do I need it? I haven't played any RT games at all. The last Tycoon game I played for any length of time was Railroad Tycoon. The first one. That came out in the late 80s (or maybe very early 90s). Ah-yup. Same goes for Civilization games too, despite owning both 4 and 5 in Steam.

Also, seems that homicide they're investigating is likely a murder-suicide. Sad and, well, bizarre. Interesting to see how my coworker takes it (if he'll be in at all over the next few days).

I already have 2 in GOG (that I have not yet installed lolz). Do I need it? I haven't played any RT games at all.
lol no. I will be kind this time and say don't buy it since you haven't played your other purchase yet. If you like RC2 and want a version with updated graphics then the $20 might be a good drop, you can easily get 100 hours out of these games.

Jintor

Btw shan your comment in the first date thread made me depressed

time to find solace in breach of obligations remedies! *sigh*

/edit i retract that, that whole thread is depressing

Btw shan your comment in the first date thread made me depressed

time to find solace in breach of obligations remedies! *sigh*

/edit i retract that, that whole thread is depressing

First year of uni was a disgusting bath of fleshy body parts. Or maybe that was just because I was always drunk and gravitated towards other people being fun drunks.

Also living on residence. So much incest. Never poop where you sleep, especially don't have sex with it.

Also everyone and everything is different! The thread is silly because it is not accurate. Only anecdotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom