• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

VOOK does have to factor in the cost of buying me a drink at any BrisGAF meetup.

Younger than me ? What the fuck. How did that happen ?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
You're 26 and own an investment property, I'd say you're doing okay. Suck it up princess.

Flip those numbers and that's when I'll be able to enjoy my money.

VOOK does have to factor in the cost of buying me a drink at any BrisGAF meetup.

Younger than me ? What the fuck. How did that happen ?

Wait what is this, I can't afford this....

The worst thing is, if the Wii U is region locked, I'll probably be only able to afford 2.

VOOK

You guys take what I say way too seriously.

But it is true, I could have held off buying an investment property for a few more year. What would that have netted me? A few more trinkets and toys to waste money on with no value.

Instead I've bought my house, paid off over $100,000 of my homeloan and have no money to spend on anything.

Luckily I paid off that pesky credit card then.

Danoss

Flip those numbers and that's when I'll be able to enjoy my money.

It must be hard having a future to look forward to.

I'll swap you for my life of being broke, jobless and unemployable. My superannuation is basically non-existent, so if I ever get a job again my retirement will be me jumping off The Gap since I won't be able to afford to live anymore. Chin up Vook.

VOOK

It must be hard having a future to look forward to.

I'll swap you for my life of being broke, jobless and unemployable. My superannuation is basically non-existent, so if I ever get a job again my retirement will be me jumping off The Gap since I won't be able to afford to live anymore. Chin up Vook.

No one is unemployable.

VOOK

What happens if you perform badly in interviews?

Then find a employer that looks past that. Most people interview badly, my friend who is complete shit at interviews, has no skills, dropped out of high school still manages to get jobs. She only doesn't have one now because she has no attention span and quits when she gets bored.

Have you met me?

No I haven't. But there's tons of jobs out there that no one wants to do, if you really need to work then they're there.

You also, I assume have the internet. Plenty of ways to get jobs online, I'm not talking about Seek. I'm talking about internet driven revenue.

Danoss

No I haven't. But there's tons of jobs out there that no one wants to do, if you really need to work then they're there.

You also, I assume have the internet. Plenty of ways to get jobs online, I'm not talking about Seek. I'm talking about internet driven revenue.

There's a reason no one wants to do those jobs. If I had to do one of them, I would end up killing myself. I am not joking.

I'm not fit enough to do physical jobs, I have a bad back anyway so I couldn't do them anyway. Not smart, educated or experienced enough to do a large number of the jobs with openings. The remaining jobs are mindless drivel that I couldn't handle mentally. So um, what's left? That would be nothing.

I have no idea what your second paragraph refers to. Though I am looking at having my internet connection turned off so I can better survive off what little money I have.

late june/ early july I think was the "when". As for where, I have no idea where is good. Somewhere nice but not too pricey?

I have no idea what your second paragraph refers to. Though I am looking at having my internet connection turned off so I can better survive off what little money I have.

There are a bunch of jobs you can do online, as I discovered recently. If you can do something like computer/web design/advice stuff, translation (that's what I did), or even something like finance, freelance writing etc, there are jobs out there if you know where to look. I guess it depends what kind of things you can do.

Danoss

There are a bunch of jobs you can do online, as I discovered recently. If you can do something like computer/web design/advice stuff, translation (that's what I did), or even something like finance, freelance writing etc, there are jobs out there if you know where to look. I guess it depends what kind of things you can do.

Oh, that makes sense. I'll add that to the list of things I can't do.

VOOK

There's a reason no one wants to do those jobs. If I had to do one of them, I would end up killing myself. I am not joking.

I have no idea what your second paragraph refers to.

No need to do that dude, and if you're seriously considering it then we need to help you out.

My second paragraph refers to, instead of getting out and getting a job the 'old fashioned way' is to make money at home, on the internet. As long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty... Affiliate link farms, link farms, sites solely to make ad revenue. It's all out there.

Choc

Banned
So with the tax free threshold going to 18K, does that apply to this years income?

no

and of course it matters. It means no matter what swan said, they were going to attack stuff

so his reply is not actually based on the budget like its supposed to be.

Of course those 5 points are still valid past last night, but if Swan had come out swinging and went all deficit and went nuts reducing electricity bills etc, then it would have looked dumb to go on like that

Abbott presents his reply tommorow evening 7:30pm. Its supposed to be based on last night. Clearly its not.

Oh, that makes sense. I'll add that to the list of things I can't do.

:(

What kind of stuff have you been doing in the past? I know its really easy to get disheartened. Can you go back and study, or qualify for youth allowance?

When Clipper is here. I can't remember when that is.

I was thinking the Hungry Jacks in Queen Street Mall.

Or somewhere at uni, to maximise my own convenience.

lol, but most places at UQ kinda suck.

Clipper

When Clipper is here. I can't remember when that is.

I was thinking the Hungry Jacks in Queen Street Mall.

Or somewhere at uni, to maximise my own convenience.

As for that timing, I still don't know. I'm still tossing up between dates within June 23-29 and July 7-15. I'll try to get it figured out soon, but I'm also deciding whether I'm going to go on a holiday to Japan (which I'd probably do in the gap between the dates I listed) and it might change things. I'll definitely be there for about a week, including at least one weekend, so maybe you can choose a day of the week and location now, then just choose the actual week later on once I figure out what I'm doing.

Danoss

No need to do that dude, and if you're seriously considering it then we need to help you out.

My second paragraph refers to, instead of getting out and getting a job the 'old fashioned way' is to make money at home, on the internet. As long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty... Affiliate link farms, link farms, sites solely to make ad revenue. It's all out there.

Not a chance I could do any of those things. Even if I could, working at home on the internet wouldn't be much of a solution. I need something to do, to motivate me to leave the house each day. I don't have that and can't find it.

The closest I have to that right now is visiting friends to play games with once a week/fortnight. I may have to stop that soon so I can save cash on petrol to divert elsewhere, since playing games doesn't pay the bills. Not going to be happy times when it comes to that.

I'm not going to top myself, so don't stress about that. If I had to work in a dead-end job doing repetitive, mindless shit I would, that's what I meant. Though being jobless at home isn't much better at this stage, I won't deny thinking about it.

The scary thing is that if anything happened to my Gran, the house I live in would be sold almost immediately, as a buyer has already been lined up. This would literally leave me homeless as I have nowhere to go (no exaggeration, no friends or family would help me out). She's looking worse every day and as much as it saddens me to see that, and how selfish I know this sounds, it terrifies me to think about what will happen to me.

What kind of stuff have you been doing in the past? I know its really easy to get disheartened. Can you go back and study, or qualify for youth allowance?

What jobs have you had previously?

At 30 years old, it feels far too late to go back and study. I don't pick things up as quickly as I used to and the courses that seem to have good opportunities on the other side are things I can't even imagine beginning to grasp.

My job history is retail and insurance. Two industries circling the drain, I've tried getting back in to both of them anyway, but I'm either unwanted or the bar is set too high.

It's easy to be disheartened when you can't see a light at the end of the tunnel anymore.

Dead Man

At 30 years old, it feels far too late to go back and study. I don't pick things up as quickly as I used to and the courses that seem to have good opportunities on the other side are things I can't even imagine beginning to grasp.

My job history is retail and insurance. Two industries circling the drain, I've tried getting back in to both of them anyway, but I'm either unwanted or the bar is set too high.

It's easy to be disheartened when you can't see a light at the end of the tunnel anymore.

What aspects of insurance have you worked in? Sales? Claims?

Edit: And my 36 year old arse is just finishing a tafe qual and has changed career for the 6th or 7th time. I had to clean houses and old people for a few months, but I've got an awesome job now. Shit money, but a great job. Don't quit yet.

Danoss

What aspects of insurance have you worked in? Sales? Claims?

Edit: And my 36 year old arse is just finishing a tafe qual and has changed career for the 6th or 7th time. I had to clean houses and old people for a few months, but I've got an awesome job now. Shit money, but a great job. Don't quit yet.

I was a junior underwriter on the insurer side and also a broker, both for domestic insurance. Pretty much entry level positions that can be filled with younger, cheaper people than me.

Those gap-filler jobs usually involve doing physical things. I can't do those anymore, due to my bent spine from a motorcycle accident. I can sit down, I can do a lot of that. Standing up all day? Nope. Carrying things? Nope. Can't do shit and will never be compensated for this limitation.

Yagharek

One of the earliest lessons I learnt about money was never complain publicly about what you earn. My Dad told me that he once had a whinge about how much tax he paid, and someone he was talking to said that his wages were less than my Dad's tax bill. He didn't complain after that.

I personally am lucky enough to be able to afford things I like, things I need, I can save for a house deposit and have a (hopefully) stable job. I don't need welfare, tax breaks, tax cuts or housing bonuses yet I'm eligible for a number of them. And I'm definitely not earning a 6 figure salary or higher.

There is a woeful sense of entitlement in this country for more and more welfare, and that takes away from people who desperately need it. I personally find it odious when people complain about not being able to afford an exorbitant mortgage they signed up to because of low interest rates (and zero deposit) and seeing them demanding more welfare. Those people need to learn to save, to budget, and spend according to your means. Your neglect in these matters does not entitle you to whinge enough to endanger the ability for people to get welfare for actual problems like schizophrenia, quadriplegia, degenerative illnesses like motor neurone disease and rare genetic disorders.

Because it's pretty obvious to me that those types of people should be first in line for welfare handouts, not those cunts with negative geared investment properties that drive up the rental prices for everyone - including those with problems listed above.

But that's just me.

edit: I also think long term unemployed people should get priority help too. Get them into a trade school or something helpful. Or make it financially doable to go back and study for a profession.

Rezbit

One of the earliest lessons I learnt about money was never complain publicly about what you earn. My Dad told me that he once had a whinge about how much tax he paid, and someone he was talking to said that his wages were less than my Dad's tax bill. He didn't complain after that.

I personally am lucky enough to be able to afford things I like, things I need, I can save for a house deposit and have a (hopefully) stable job. I don't need welfare, tax breaks, tax cuts or housing bonuses yet I'm eligible for a number of them. And I'm definitely not earning a 6 figure salary or higher.

There is a woeful sense of entitlement in this country for more and more welfare, and that takes away from people who desperately need it. I personally find it odious when people complain about not being able to afford an exorbitant mortgage they signed up to because of low interest rates (and zero deposit) and seeing them demanding more welfare. Those people need to learn to save, to budget, and spend according to your means. Your neglect in these matters does not entitle you to whinge enough to endanger the ability for people to get welfare for actual problems like schizophrenia, quadriplegia, degenerative illnesses like motor neurone disease and rare genetic disorders.

Because it's pretty obvious to me that those types of people should be first in line for welfare handouts, not those cunts with negative geared investment properties that drive up the rental prices for everyone - including those with problems listed above.

But that's just me.

edit: I also think long term unemployed people should get priority help too. Get them into a trade school or something helpful. Or make it financially doable to go back and study for a profession.

YkiSm.gif

Danoss

Awesome stuff there Vince. <insert applause gif here>

One example that I saw passing the TV that set me off a little while ago, it was 9 news' report on celebrities multi-million dollar house that had decreased in value. Thanks for reporting this important news for the common man Channel 9, we're all very concerned, why not start a fundraiser to help them recoup the loss of value of their enormous mansions? My heart bleeds for them after hearing of their terrible misfortune.

It is automatically add to your points in your account anyway so next time you buy something, at the checkout, select to use up some rewards points and it will take off $5 of the order instantly! Much better than those stupid reward systems where you have to wait for them to approve the voucher.

No added points yet :(

Awesome stuff there Vince. <insert applause gif here>

One example that I saw passing the TV that set me off a little while ago, it was 9 news' report on celebrities multi-million dollar house that had decreased in value. Thanks for reporting this important news for the common man Channel 9, we're all very concerned, why not start a fundraiser to help them recoup the loss of value of their enormous mansions? My heart bleeds for them after hearing of their terrible misfortune.

Stop watching commercial free to air news. It's garbage. Abc 24 news was pretty decent in comparison last time I watched it.

Fredescu

not those cunts with negative geared investment properties that drive up the rental prices for everyone
I agree with the rest of what you're saying, but someone's investment choice doesn't make them a cunt. I see the sentiment, especially common on the Australian section of Reddit, that everything's the baby boomers fault and literally everyone in that generation that owns a house is the cause of them not being able to afford a house. As if they wouldn't have done the same thing given the circumstances.

Danoss

Stop watching free to air news. It's garbage. Abc 24 news was pretty decent in comparison last time I watched it.

I don't regularly watch free to air besides the Rugby League, I was passing by a television that was showing it. Give me more credit than that.

Yagharek

I agree with the rest of what you're saying, but someone's investment choice doesn't make them a cunt. I see the sentiment, especially common on the Australian section of Reddit, that everything's the baby boomers fault and literally everyone in that generation that owns a house is the cause of them not being able to afford a house. As if they wouldn't have done the same thing given the circumstances.

Let me make it a bit clearer then. They aren't cunts (well, some are), but they dont need welfare to help them pay for their investment.

Jintor

We just downvote in our heads around here.

(I kid, I don't know shit about taxes, I can't contribute meaningfully to this conversation)

Choc

Banned
Fred they halved negative gearing in nz and houses dropped 40% in sales price in auckland over a few years.

Auckland used to be as unaffordable as sydney and melbourne. Yes it took pain to fix it but there is no doubt ng is driving part of our house bubble so much so that for the gvt to remove it now would have dire consequences for our banks due to the number of over valued property onf their books.

Affordable housing is a crisis australia did not need to have. Howard and his cronies introduced the problem with negative gearing. If swan had balls he would have cut ng last night and then perhaps the australians headline would be fair today.

Vancouver is the most expensive property in the world. It also has ng setup.

It is amazing you can buy a 3 bedroom unit in chelsea london for the same price as the median house here. Chelsea being the most expensive town in london.....

Ng needs work. Limit it to one property. Investors getting five figure returns because they are in a position to leverage themselves to the shitter whilst low income people struggle to pay rent is insane and goes against australian values.

Dead Man

But that's just me.

Middle class welfare is a plague on Australian society. Well said.
I was a junior underwriter on the insurer side and also a broker, both for domestic insurance. Pretty much entry level positions that can be filled with younger, cheaper people than me.

Those gap-filler jobs usually involve doing physical things. I can't do those anymore, due to my bent spine from a motorcycle accident. I can sit down, I can do a lot of that. Standing up all day? Nope. Carrying things? Nope. Can't do shit and will never be compensated for this limitation.

It's a shitty job, but have you tried call centres for insurance and finance sector companies. If you have a background in the industry (or related) and can use a computer and speak on a phone you can get a phone monkey job. I worked at Westpac in one of their call centres through uni, made decent money too.

Or even any call centre really. They are usually pretty boring jobs, but there are almost always jobs going somewhere. Hit up a couple recruiting agencies that handle them, and sweet talk the recruiters.

Fred they halved negative gearing in nz and houses dropped 40% in sales price in auckland over a few years.

Auckland used to be as unaffordable as sydney and melbourne. Yes it took pain to fix it but there is no doubt ng is driving part of our house bubble so much so that for the gvt to remove it now would have dire consequences for our banks due to the number of over valued property onf their books.

Affordable housing is a crisis australia did not need to have. Howard and his cronies introduced the problem with negative gearing. If swan had balls he would have cut ng last night and then perhaps the australians headline would be fair today.

Vancouver is the most expensive property in the world. It also has ng setup.

It is amazing you can buy a 3 bedroom unit in chelsea london for the same price as the median house here. Chelsea being the most expensive town in london.....

Ng needs work. Limit it to one property. Investors getting five figure returns because they are in a position to leverage themselves to the shitter whilst low income people struggle to pay rent is insane and goes against australian values.

Edit: Also well said. Best Chocpost ever?

Fredescu

Whats reddit? Is it like 4chan or 2chan or whichever is the less cultured of the two?
It's basically a configurable interface that contains a cross section of the entire internet, good and terribly terribly bad. It's divided up into subreddits that anyone can create and be the moderator for. Users subscribe to the subreddits to determine what shows up on their front page. The top articles, and the top comments within the threads, are determine by voting. It's really handy when someone posts an article making a claim that sounds a bit dodgy, because the top voted comment is usually the post debunking it.

If you just use the default front page you might think it's all religion bashing and cat pictures, but once you unsubscribe from the defaults it can really be about anything you want. I'm subscribed to half a dozen different philosophy subreddits for example. Basically, it can be worse than the worst of 4chan and better than anywhere else on the internet all at the same time.

Affordable housing is a crisis australia did not need to have. Howard and his cronies introduced the problem with negative gearing.
Agree with the rest of your post, but Howard didn't introduce negative gearing. It was around well before then. Howard contributed to the housing bubble via the FHOG.

Danoss

It's a shitty job, but have you tried call centres for insurance and finance sector companies. If you have a background in the industry (or related) and can use a computer and speak on a phone you can get a phone monkey job. I worked at Westpac in one of their call centres through uni, made decent money too.

Or even any call centre really. They are usually pretty boring jobs, but there are almost always jobs going somewhere. Hit up a couple recruiting agencies that handle them, and sweet talk the recruiters.

I've worked in a call centre before, I don't think I could do it again. I know beggers can't be choosers, but I'd be less happy than I am now. I know if I go into an environment like that, much the other shitty, repetitive and mindless jobs, it wouldn't end well.

Also, recruitment agencies hate me for some reason. After applying with many of them, not one of them has ever found me a job, I've never received so much as a phone call from any of them. This makes it difficult as I'm truly on my own trying to find work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom