• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezbit

Hey Day Zers.

So yes I bought ARMA CO, it is downloaded. Do you guys run the mod through an external launcher program or just by putting a launch prompt in steam?

markot

Banned
Interesting piece on teh Drum

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-10/green-public-discussion/4002222
Caller: Good morning.

John Laws: Okay, the Prime Minister is here.

Caller: Yes, good morning. Just a very broad question, Mr Keating, is: why does your government see the Aboriginal people as a much more equal people than the average white Australian?

Paul Keating: We don't. We see them as equal.

Caller: Well, you might say that, but all the indications are that you don't.

Paul Keating: But what's implied in your question is that you don't; you think that non-Aboriginal Australians, there ought to be discrimination in their favour against blacks.

Caller: Not... whatsoever. I... I don't say that at all. But my... myself and every person I talk to - and I'm not racist - but every person I talk to...

Paul Keating: But that's what they all say, don't they? They put these questions - they always say, "I'm not racist, but, you know, I don't believe that Aboriginal Australians ought to have a basis in equality with non-Aboriginal Australians. Well, of course, that's part of the problem.

Caller: Aren't they more equal than us at the moment, with the preferences they get?

Paul Keating: More equal? They were... I mean, it's not for me to be giving you a history lesson - they were largely dispossessed of the land they held.

Caller: There's a question over that. I think a lot of people will tell you that. You're telling us one thing...

Paul Keating: Well, if you're sitting on the title of any block of land in NSW, you can bet an Aboriginal person at some stage was dispossessed of it.

Caller: You know that for sure, do you?

Paul Keating: Of course we know it for sure!

Caller: Yeah, [inaudible].

Paul Keating: You're challenging the High Court decision, are you? You're saying the High Court got this all wrong.

Caller: No, I'm not saying that at all! I wouldn't know who was on the High Court.

Paul Keating: Well, why don't you sign off, if you don't know anything about it and you're not interested. Good bye!

Caller: Yeah, well, that's your ...

Paul Keating: No, I mean, you can't challenge these things and then say, "I don't know about them".

John Laws: Oh well, he's gone.

Would a politician ever do that these days?

Deeku

I only started serious for reals full time work this year, so my corporate wardrobe is all just basic essentials (shirts, ties, and three suits). 3 piece/ vest probably wouldn't work for me, I don't look mature enough for it:(

Jintor said:
Damnit law, get out of the way so I can just buckle down and spend like two full years learning Japanese or something
Yeah, it's so hard to prioritse time between them since both need just as much time (or even more for jps) to do well. Best way is to do the jps subjects in winter or summer.

Also, :eek:

Unicharm Corp. (8113)’s sales of adult diapers in Japan exceeded those for babies for the first time last year.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...rd-spurs-japan-stores-chase-1-4-trillion.html

jambo

Hey Day Zers.

So yes I bought ARMA CO, it is downloaded. Do you guys run the mod through an external launcher program or just by putting a launch prompt in steam?

From the SA forums

To install Dayz to the the Steam version, follow this guide.

1.) Make @dayz folder in
#:\#\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead

2.) Make Addons folder within the @dayz folder
Your folder stucture should look like arma 2 operation arrowhead > @days > Addons

3.) Extract all downloaded files to this Addons folder

4.) In steam, right click on ARMA2: Operation Arrowhead, select 'Launch Options' and type -nosplash -mod=@dayz

5.)Load ARMA2: Operation Arrowhead through steam and choose the Launch ARMA2: Combined Operations option.

What are Danoss's passions?

Games and shit

Is there a niche forum for table games and RPGs in Aus? If not make it, you have a heap of talent in here to advise you! Then roll in all that ad revenue (please note i have no idea how much people make from ad revenue)

Have you contacted games places around where you live for jobs?

If you're sitting around at home doing nothing have you considering designing your own RPG guide? You don't have to do anything with it but it may just give you a bit of joy and passion in your life.

BTW where do you live

Jintor

What a badass.

I was listening to yesterday's AM report and it had simultaneous interviews with Gillard and Abbott on the budget. I had a weird vision of an bizarrely existential play with Gillard and Abbott in the waiting room for a radio interview just nervously chatting like normal people in a waiting room for a dentist or something.

What a badass.

I was listening to yesterday's AM report and it had simultaneous interviews with Gillard and Abbott on the budget. I had a weird vision of an bizarrely existential play with Gillard and Abbott in the waiting room for a radio interview just nervously chatting like normal people in a waiting room for a dentist or something.

Could you imagine the awkward tension? Man, I would pay good money to watch that

Danoss

What are Danoss's passions?

Games and shit

Is there a niche forum for table games and RPGs in Aus? If not make it, you have a heap of talent in here to advise you! Then roll in all that ad revenue (please note i have no idea how much people make from ad revenue)

Have you contacted games places around where you live for jobs?

If you're sitting around at home doing nothing have you considering designing your own RPG guide? You don't have to do anything with it but it may just give you a bit of joy and passion in your life.

BTW where do you live

I love board games and RPGs and I love photography (though I haven't had much chance to a lot of the latter). I've been great at retail because I enjoy talking to and helping people, but I'm unwanted in that area anymore (and earning commission ruins it an adds pressure I don't want or need).

Can't afford to try and do anything about these passions to make money on my own. Even if I could, I've been beaten to the punch on this anyway since Board Game Geek, RPG Geek, and RPG.net already exist an are successful. There was another RPG forum for Aussies only, and it was a failure.

Contacting a games place for a job is a waste of time as they're all run by the owners and that's it. There isn't much money in it because it's a niche market, many of them have had to close down because they can't stay afloat. Yay for me, if I like it and/or am good at it, I'm not wanted or needed.

I'm not a good writer by any stretch and those guides have already been written (and released for free). More experienced people than me write full-on games that people can play. Most of them have to work second jobs because it doesn't pay the bills.

AusGAF has tuned out my last post, so I'll stop my whining. It's been pointed out that this is all my fault, so there's no point continuing with this line of discussion. I've exhausted every avenue I can think of, and study is likely to lead to disaster if my Gran passes away and I can't afford to live elsewhere ony own, even if I could think of something worth studying.

I know people who are in a position to help me out getting a job but they won't. Seriously what's the point anymore when your life is like that? There is none, it's a waste of time. Anyway, carry on AusGAF...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Why on earth have herman miller chairs not dropped in price. Come on now, They have been out for years! Silly Aeron chair.

My Myki has a new phantom pass on it, Which is going to potentially screw me over tomorrow with getting to and from work. I'm thinking of calling up and seeing if they can resolve the issue instead of waiting for a reply from my complaint online. I hate phones though, Good chance I will be waiting for someone to answer for 15 minutes.

Anyway, carry on AusGAF...

I think you're harder on yourself than Ausgaf will ever be.

Have you considered something in security? They have jobs where you can sit in a chair monitoring video screens, sit in a toll booth etc.

Not glamorous but you can live on it.

How about immigration, my uncle couldn't find a job and ended up working in a job as a liaison officer with illegal migrants (not in a prison). He basically just chats to them, plays cards etc.

Danoss

You must've missed the 'monotonous jobs will be the end of me, literally' posts.

I've kept an eye on some government job areas but haven't spotted anything I am capable of doing or able to apply for.

Danoss, keep hanging in there. It sucks and things don't seem great. All you can do is hang in until something changes, and it will. There will always be a place for people.

So I took the advice of Sage Bernbaum and bought some running shoe pieces! $16 at KMart. Was quite a nice runjog/walk last night, did 6km in just over 50 minutes. Feel okay today too which is good. Hoping to go 3 times a week.

Also I cried myself to sleep when the sexiest man alive revealed we won't be getting Bioshock Infinite this year :(

It blew my mind when I found out one half of Chromeo (Dave 1) is the brother of one half of Duck Sauce (A-trak).
The electronica community is very interlinked, every artist you come across will be related to another artist you love and another one will have gone to High School with them, etc.

I told someone my weight then other day and they were surprised. Maybe I hide my weight well, to me it looks quite apparent.
yeah I have varied between 60kg to 90kg and most people don't notice a HUGE change or anything, helps that I am 6 foot tall, moves it around a bit.

news.com.au says $115k a year is middle of the road family

is this what Howard created? 115k a year MIDDLE OF THE ROAD?

wtf
Our 39k a year family is doing okay, certainly not lashing out or buying fancy stuff but doing well enough to keep my son happy and slowly pay off a wedding.

did you jerks get that free $1000 the government handed out a few years back?

DID YOU?

i have friends that got it twice.

;_; and i got $0
My parents even got it twice, there were several different ways to qualify and the onus was on people to look into it and see what they were entitled to.

Is this really news? Of course this stuff is pre-planned and the gaps are filled when the events occur.

Just like newspapers prepare stories in advance.
lol
It shows that they have no interest in policies, only negative replies to what Labor say. I would much prefer Liberals to come out and say, "This is what WE think will be BETTER for everyone." Give me a reason to vote for you rather than just LABA GONNA GIVE IMEGANTS MA JOEB!

Hmm so the liberals are gonna force us to learn latin!?
Joe Hockey does kinda look like a grown up Martin Prince.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...000-a-kid-paid-to-parents-20120509-1ycjv.html

Katter supports paying parents $7000 to have kids so the "Australian Race" doesn't die out. No he doesn't mean Aborigines.
This is hilarious.

My dad joined the party =/ I think its time to move out.
This is also hilarious lol
Should be fun to discuss at the dinner table!

There is a woeful sense of entitlement in this country
Without a doubt. People care mostly about themselves and making sure they get every dollar they can possibly squeeze out of everyone else.

We need some better speechwriters and bring back the good old days of what can I do for my country!

OGS on the 5000 points thing: "We're having to do them in batches, so yours will be coming over the next week most likely."
LOGS can do no bad see! They just sent out the first batch to the golden children who put their kids through college.

Affordable housing is a crisis australia did not need to have. Howard and his cronies introduced the problem with negative gearing. If swan had balls he would have cut ng last night and then perhaps the australians headline would be fair today.
Rental prices are fucking killing people at the moment. $300 a week for a rundown old 3 bedroom place 4 hours along the coast from Melbourne is insanity, especially when 5 years ago people in similar places were paying $120.

When half your wage goes to keeping a roof over your head, even before all the other utility bills, you know something is a bit off.

Has anyone played VVVVVVVV or whatever it is?

Is it hard like Super Meat Boy, or is it a playable game?
I found it pretty comfortable whereas I knew I didn't have the patience for SMB.

Great little indie title back before the big indie game wave hit!

so... I saw some dude + a chick near QVB/sydney holding "carparking $299/month signs". yeah.
When I worked at Dominos they used to get school kids to do it after school for like $5 an hour. Not much fun on an arterial road into Geelong.l

So that Walking Dead game? It's a bit of alright.
The best work they have done. Easily.

I did telemarketing for about 8 months. It was certainly an experience, but one I'd recommend for people. Once you've done one of the shittiest jobs around anything seems like a step up. I complain a lot less about things now that I've gone through the self-loathing which is calling people up and pissing them off (the place I worked was really dodgy). This was my first job after finishing uni (thanks global financial crisis!)
A mate of mine started out in a TM callcentre, hated it but it got him a job in a better, but similar callcentre handling support calls and signing up businesses for some kind of software system they sell. Earns much better money and the workload is a breeze. Spend most of their time on Fantasy Footy.

It took me 7 years after finishing uni before I got my first professional job. I finished uni in 2002. Went straight to retail work after a science degree ffs. Had enough, went back to uni to start postgrad. Hit the rocks motivation wise, bailed out and worked retail again for a few years. Started a teaching degree. Decided against it after 1 year.
Mate of mine is the same, quit his Honours yesterday after wondering why he was bothering and has no idea what to do now. Looking to just travel around the world backpacking until he can come across something that takes his fancy enough to do full time. I guess I would be the same, since I haven't finished my Commerce degree and have no fucking interest in working at anything related to it aside from Marketing, which I see no way of getting my foot in the door of anyway. At least my current job is stable and pays the bills, I'm making enough contacts that something will surface in the future and the main thing is that I am improving my skills and gaining experience, making me much more employable if I make it to an interview.

Realised I have had my body piercing for over 10 years, before it was a cool thing to do. :p
There are cool piercings and uncool piercings. Have to see it to make a judgement call. We all know that your piercing was never cool though, even Draz from Heartbreak High wouldn't approve.

Isn't that what an overcoat is for? The name gives it away...
Fuck yes. Best jacket ever. Love my black overcoat, makes me feel like a Blade Runner but comfy.

That is the coolest thing that should happen more often. If some clown makes a fool of themselves call them out, otherwise they will just keep spreading their stupid shit. We need to educate these fuckers.

Unemployment fell to 4.9% in April, current government still inept.
Even if we are the last country left standing the current government will still be inept. Will be interesting to see if Labor will take the same negative tactic when they end up in opposition.

Jintor

All this gay marriage talk in the states is making me want to poke around the issues relating to it here. After the next three research papers, it's research for my own interest time, I guess.

Omikron

Not even comparatively. 4.9% is great no matter how you slice it. Get into the lower 4s and you start have skills shortages and such.

I guess I was talking from an overall perspective as well, not just the unemployment rate. You read constantly about overseas issues and then you look at all the major points here and you really do have to wonder why the Labor can't sell the current state of things.

Bizarre.

Fredescu

I guess I was talking from an overall perspective as well, not just the unemployment rate.
I think of all the statistics that get thrown around, the unemployment rate is the one that has most relevance to peoples everyday lives. It means job security, wage rises, and more opportunities. There's nothing worse than being uncertain about your job or your company's future during a period of high unemployment.

Rezbit

Okay, so Day Z is up and running and I've had about 2 hours getting used to the controls and learning how to actually do stuff (like eat, drink, equip weapons - thanks Donc and Arnie). In this time I managed to:

- Bump into another newly spawned character in the first 5 minutes and have a stare down with our pistols before he ran into the bush and I ran back toward the coast
- Wandered into a large town and found some extra bullets and beans in a building
- Got attacked by a zombie and got stuck on a chain link fence and accidentally attacked him with my flares. Survived the encounter with 4000 blood
- Watched a survivor getting chased down the road by 20 zombies. I didn't help.
- Looted a bandit's corpse for heaps of awesome shit like a map, flashlight which I somehow lost :(, a Lee Enfield, about 4 cans of food, pepsi, etc etc
- Went to the train station and found a compass
- Ran up a mountain to hide and log out

5/5 stars.

Okay, so Day Z is up and running and I've had about 2 hours getting used to the controls and learning how to actually do stuff (like eat, drink, equip weapons - thanks Donc and Arnie). In this time I managed to:

- Bump into another newly spawned character in the first 5 minutes and have a stare down with our pistols before he ran into the bush and I ran back toward the coast
- Wandered into a large town and found some extra bullets and beans in a building
- Got attacked by a zombie and got stuck on a chain link fence and accidentally attacked him with my flares. Survived the encounter with 4000 blood
- Watched a survivor getting chased down the road by 20 zombies. I didn't help.
- Looted a bandit's corpse for heaps of awesome shit like a map, flashlight which I somehow lost :(, a Lee Enfield, about 4 cans of food, pepsi, etc etc
- Went to the train station and found a compass
- Ran up a mountain to hide and log out

5/5 stars.

This sounds very interesting, can you give me more info on how to get it?

jambo

This sounds very interesting, can you give me more info on how to get it?

If you have ARMA II and ARMA II Operation Arrowhead, download these files:

http://www.armafiles.info/dayz/

Then follow the below instructions

From the SA forums

To install Dayz to the the Steam version, follow this guide.

1.) Make @dayz folder in
#:\#\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead

2.) Make Addons folder within the @dayz folder
Your folder stucture should look like arma 2 operation arrowhead > @days > Addons

3.) Extract all downloaded files to this Addons folder

4.) In steam, right click on ARMA2: Operation Arrowhead, select 'Launch Options' and type -nosplash -mod=@dayz

5.)Load ARMA2: Operation Arrowhead through steam and choose the Launch ARMA2: Combined Operations option.

Rezbit

Yup, I had no issues installing. Little bit convoluted but eh. Also, Arma II Combined Operations (both the games jambo mentioned) are for $30 on Steam.

Jintor

I was going to post some comments from the comments section of the Drum article about gay marriage in Australia, but I figured it was probably a waste of time. Stupid people are stupid, news at 11.

So I just watched some Day Z youtube clips. Quite simply it looks like the best thing ever.

With a 3 month old son don't know how much i could play but considering the average lifespan in the game is 4 hrs it doesn't sound like there's a huge amount of time investment needed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I just watched some Day Z youtube clips. Quite simply it looks like the best thing ever.

With a 3 month old son don't know how much i could play but considering the average lifespan in the game is 4 hrs it doesn't sound like there's a huge amount of time investment needed.

It's more about joining up with fellow players, in ausgafs case, probably kritz / aon and everyone else who has jumped on board over the past few days. Sitting in mumble, talking to each other while trying to find each other in game and then attempting to do shit while surviving.

It's more about joining up with fellow players, in ausgafs case, probably kritz / aon and everyone else who has jumped on board over the past few days. Sitting in mumble, talking to each other while trying to find each other in game and then attempting to do shit while surviving.

My god this sounds amazing why is it so expensive.

jambo

My god this sounds amazing why is it so expensive.

It's hilariously brilliant.

The Mumble last night was basically

"Oh you're at that town, well we're north of place, we'll head this way and... wait, no we're not"

"You guys are near the airfield."

"No we're not"

"Yeah that's the fence"

"I'm at a fence"

"Guys I can't move"

"Shit I hear gunfire"

"Who's that guy?"

"Get in front!"

"I already am in front!"

"Head towards the moon"

"I'm bleeding, shit."

For 3 hours :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Living Edge were selling them for $990 recently, quite the bargain.

Ah. I was looking at that site today, No price was listed though. I thought about sending them an email asking what the price range was, Just a little too scared :D

Don't you have one at work or something? I know someone in here enjoys an Aeron chair.

senahorse

Ah. I was looking at that site today, No price was listed though. I thought about sending them an email asking what the price range was, Just a little too scared :D

Don't you have one at work or something? I know someone in here enjoys an Aeron chair.

Not in my current office but I have used one before. We (gf and I) nearly bought a couple at that price at the start of the year but were about to move and wanted to limit what we had take with us. They are really great chairs, but, make sure you sit in one first as it may not be for you. I don't think they are on sale atm, they rarely are. Keep an eye on this whirlpool thread: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/838677

Gazunta

All this gay marriage talk in the states is making me want to poke around.
IT BEGINS

Danoss just a quick point about not wanting to start a RPG site because others have already done it. I'm hardly the first person to do a comic on the web. VOOK'S is hardly the first person to make a Nintendo fan site. People will come to you because you have a unique voice or opinion even if you don't think you do.

jambo

I'm fairly sure this is what I did last night in DayZ...

bDNS8h.jpg

I was heading north from the coast. I didn't really know where I was by the end of it so it's a rough guess. I had no idea how far North I had run, or if I was even heading North haha

Danoss

Danoss just a quick point about not wanting to start a RPG site because others have already done it. I'm hardly the first person to do a comic on the web. VOOK'S is hardly the first person to make a Nintendo fan site. People will come to you because you have a unique voice or opinion even if you don't think you do.

Thanks for that. I could do it if I wanted to, but that would require skillful and thought-provoking writing. I can't do that, you've seen my posts, I can barely express the most basic of thoughts I have. Original ideas would be a good thing, but I don't think I've had one of those in a long time, even if i did, that would be restrained by the fact I couldn't express it anyway.

Even if all of the above weren't true, I would need to be able to pay for it. I had a website up before, I had to close it because I couldn't afford it any longer. It cost $5.95 a month.

I appreciate all the kind words and ideas people are throwing out, honestly. But it feels like life has thrown me down a deep pit with no way to climb out. Unless someone throws a rope down, I'll stay down here and rot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom