• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've worked in a call centre before, I don't think I could do it again. I know beggers can't be choosers, but I'd be less happy than I am now. I know if I go into an environment like that, much the other shitty, repetitive and mindless jobs, it wouldn't end well.

Also, recruitment agencies hate me for some reason. After applying with many of them, not one of them has ever found me a job, I've never received so much as a phone call from any of them. This makes it difficult as I'm truly on my own trying to find work.

Shit jobs can turn into better jobs, no-ones going to just give you your dream job in my experience.

Make sure your resume is polished. It's in their interest to get you a job, unless your applying for jobs your severely unqualified for. With that said, I hate using them as they get a big chunk of cash for doing practically nothing.

Danoss

Shit jobs can turn into better jobs, no-ones going to just give you your dream job in my experience.

Make sure your resume is polished. It's in their interest to get you a job, unless your applying for jobs your severely unqualified for. With that said, I hate using them as they get a big chunk of cash for doing practically nothing

I'm aware of that, really, I am.

I'm not currently in a state to be able to handle monotonous and/or soul-crushing work. I'm not asking for a top tier job with wonderful pay, I just want something with a little variety throughout the day to keep my mind active and spirits up. It seems such a thing is too much to ask, the jobs that offer such things are out of reach or I'm not suited for them in the eyes of employers or recruiters.

I know it's in a recruitment agency's interest to find me a job as they get a percentage of the salary I sign on for. That's why it's so baffling that they don't find me any work at all. I don't deal with them anymore as they're clearly a waste of time, it seems that's what they see me as.

I appreciate all the suggestions that I'm seeing here, really. But the more I see, the more I notice how unsuitable I am to re-enter the work force. I got lucky last time with someone I know recommending me for a position, but that's not going to happen again. I'm so close to giving up completely, I'm not really seeing the point in continuing to try any longer.

I do alright but I HATE my job.

so... I saw some dude + a chick near QVB/sydney holding "carparking $299/month signs". yeah.

I just thought. yikes

probably backpackers. better than that annoying woman sitting outside townhall woolies with HER BIBLE. fucking professional bum.

Cohsae

Has anyone played VVVVVVVV or whatever it is?

Is it hard like Super Meat Boy, or is it a playable game?

Not as hard as SMB. Has a few optional segments that will drive you to tears but the main game is totally beatable. And it's super fun and has awesome music. Also there's an elephant.

You guys take what I say way too seriously.

But it is true, I could have held off buying an investment property for a few more year. What would that have netted me? A few more trinkets and toys to waste money on with no value.

Instead I've bought my house, paid off over $100,000 of my homeloan and have no money to spend on anything.

Luckily I paid off that pesky credit card then.

I'm a lot like this right now. The mortgage is annoying but I do have a job on the side so I'm doing okay.

But fuck, I'd be happy to sell this thing off and travel the world instead. I feel like the place is tying me down to sydney.

Choc

Banned
You can claim interest on loans of investments (shares and property) as a tax deduction. The more leveraged you are the more interest you pay the higher your deduction

Its rewarding people for taking on significant risk and is WRONG

Edit: for shan

Also people ar abusing it by having 20 properties. 1 would be fine.

Syd house prices median is 9 times avg wage

Unafforable is defined as 5x

We have a big problem the gvt cant fix.

Us median is 3x avg

Uk 4x i believe

Danoss

I was talking to someone who's friend was moving to the US. Something sparked it, but out of interest he looked up what sort of house he would get for about $400k over there. He was absolutely stunned when it was like a 5 or 6 bedroom house, absolutely enormous. Compared to a 2-3 bedroom house for about the same money over here, which was worth about $150k in the US. That's ridiculous.

I see. Yeah, people owning any more than one seems like it would only serve to create a gap between rich and poor. I'm guessing the bubble will have burst by the time its time to buy my own home, or at least by the time I've paid it off.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I'm a lot like this right now. The mortgage is annoying but I do have a job on the side so I'm doing okay.

But fuck, I'd be happy to sell this thing off and travel the world instead. I feel like the place is tying me down to sydney.

I'm stuck in Perth it feels like, the video game industry is in Sydney so I can't break out. I too would also love to see more of the world and sooner rather than later.

I was talking to someone who's friend was moving to the US. Something sparked it, but out of interest he looked up what sort of house he would get for about $400k over there. He was absolutely stunned when it was like a 5 or 6 bedroom house, absolutely enormous. Compared to a 2-3 bedroom house for about the same money over here, which was worth about $150k in the US. That's ridiculous.

Mines a 1 bedroom for $260k :/

I'm aware of that, really, I am.

I'm not currently in a state to be able to handle monotonous and/or soul-crushing work. I'm not asking for a top tier job with wonderful pay, I just want something with a little variety throughout the day to keep my mind active and spirits up. It seems such a thing is too much to ask, the jobs that offer such things are out of reach or I'm not suited for them in the eyes of employers or recruiters.

I know it's in a recruitment agency's interest to find me a job as they get a percentage of the salary I sign on for. That's why it's so baffling that they don't find me any work at all. I don't deal with them anymore as they're clearly a waste of time, it seems that's what they see me as.

I appreciate all the suggestions that I'm seeing here, really. But the more I see, the more I notice how unsuitable I am to re-enter the work force. I got lucky last time with someone I know recommending me for a position, but that's not going to happen again. I'm so close to giving up completely, I'm not really seeing the point in continuing to try any longer.

What areas do you have experience in mate? One thing I did with pretty much no experience was sales repping. They trained me up and then I went to Harvey Normans, JBs etc talking about how amazing Sony cameras/tvs/SLRs were. Most of which customers didn't want to hear it, but at least you were out and talking to people. It was better than call centre jobs I've done

and not to mention the interest rate in the US is non existent.

Um, I'd only move to NYC but yeah. lol. their economy sucks. What sort of visa can he get though? I've thought about it but the american job economy is not... good.

Fredescu

You can claim interest on loans of investments (shares and property) as a tax deduction. The more leveraged you are the more interest you pay the higher your deduction
You only claim the difference between the income and the interest, not the full amount of interest. If your rental income is higher than your interest costs, that is, if you're making a profit, you can't claim negative gearing. It only applies to loss making properties.

I do alright but I HATE my job.

I feel your pain.

As a semi-related note, one of my friends has announced he never plans to pay off his HECS so he's accumulating as much as possible (I think he's planning to do post grad and them move overseas). What a great ethic =/ I feel like this is only going to cause the system to break down, which is a shame since its a pretty great system really.

Guy I used to work with did that. Racked up a massive amount, then moved overseas for a high paying job in the field he studied in (think it was medicine).

I did the math before I started renting, I could afford to buy, but I'd be stuck in such a big rut I'd regret it. That and I love the notion that I can quit my job tomorrow and not have to worry too much.

Danoss

What areas do you have experience in mate? One thing I did with pretty much no experience was sales repping. They trained me up and then I went to Harvey Normans, JBs etc talking about how amazing Sony cameras/tvs/SLRs were. Most of which customers didn't want to hear it, but at least you were out and talking to people. It was better than call centre jobs I've done

As mentioned earlier, retail and insurance. Neither of them seem to want me back.

Strangely enough, I've worked at both places you've mentioned. Harvey Norman I literally told to shove the job up their arse. They're a terrible employer (the one I worked at was notorious) and my manager nit-picked the crap out of stuff, and making a big sale is no excuse for missing a bit of paper hidden away at the bottom of a floor rack to name one example. JB was another story.

I worked there for a number of years, most of them were fantastic. I started off working in games as was one of my passions at the time. The manager I started off with was great, I worked processing stock for the setting up of the Castle Hill store, but fell ill the day before setup was due to begin. I had to go to hospital and have a minor operation, followed by about 3-4 weeks of recovery (the cause of which still remains and makes my life difficult). The manager was very accepting and continued to pay me and did not take it out of my sick leave. He was fantastic and I miss working for him.

Managers changed a couple of times while I worked there. The second manager was great, though another staff member was making my life unnecessarily difficult so I told him I would have to resign because of it. I got a phone call the next day asking if I would like to work in camera sales, they said they were really impressed with my sales technique and attention to detail in the games department and thought it would be a perfect solution. I accepted.

I was doing well selling cameras, as it was a hobby of mine, and I knew the products well. I didn't sell the most stuff there, other more personable people than me that could smile at someone and make them buy something. I had one of the best addon rates in the company though, which ensured my sales made the company the most profit and makes the stores figures look great. I made pretty good commission because of it too.

Managers changed again and that's when it went downhill. My department manager became 3IC, which meant I did a lot of work that he would normally have done, and more. My weekly sales target went up constantly and my workload increased. This happened to the extent that my target was unreachable. I got close many times, even though I was pulled off the floor countless times, often when the store was busiest. This was all at the hands of the 2IC who seemed to have something against me.

I worked my arse off for them, even though I was treated poorly. The inevitable happened, 5 weeks of not making target. They didn't have to be consecutive, but spread out and you needed to make your target 2 weeks in a row to reset the counter. I was in a situation where that wasn't possible. As the last week rolled around, I resigned, just as the 2IC wanted, for whatever reason. When someone doesn't like you, they'll find a way to get rid of you, and that's what ended my employment there.

I've had jury duty for 12 months and then cared for family since that time. I recently worked for one month from early February until March before being made redundant like the rest of the staff at that shithole of a place. I haven't been able to find work since, and it's unlikely that I will.

Um, I'd only move to NYC but yeah. lol. their economy sucks. What sort of visa can he get though? I've thought about it but the american job economy is not... good.

No idea. It was a friend of a friend going there, I don't know the guy.

Yagharek

Managers changed again and that's when it went downhill. My department manager became 3IC, which meant I did a lot of work that he would normally have done, and more. My weekly sales target went up constantly and my workload increased. This happened to the extent that my target was unreachable. I got close many times, even though I was pulled off the floor countless times, often when the store was busiest. This was all at the hands of the 2IC who seemed to have something against me.

I worked my arse off for them, even though I was treated poorly. The inevitable happened, 5 weeks of not making target. They didn't have to be consecutive, but spread out and you needed to make your target 2 weeks in a row to reset the counter. I was in a situation where that wasn't possible. As the last week rolled around, I resigned, just as the 2IC wanted, for whatever reason. When someone doesn't like you, they'll find a way to get rid of you, and that's what ended my employment there.

Pretty sure that's called coercive dismissal, and is not entirely legal.

US housing market probably not comparable to ours. Yes, the rates are low (they reduced them to 0% IIRC in the 90s? and have been ramping them up slowly since. Obviously this has not worked out well) but the wages are lower than here. Given the economy theres a glut of houses too. More affordable maybe in Montana or Buffalo but New York is less affordable than ever. US also get money back on mortgage payments.

Danoss

Pretty sure that's called coercive dismissal, and is not entirely legal.

Ah well, nothing can be done about it now.

My local JB has an opening in the very same position right near me, and I know the store manager (he recommended me for the camera sales gig). But since it's probably on record that my sales were bad, it's unlikely they'll hire me. Even if they did, I doubt I could handle the pressure of commission based sales again, plus standing all day now I think about it.

mandiller

I've worked in a call centre before, I don't think I could do it again. I know beggers can't be choosers, but I'd be less happy than I am now. I know if I go into an environment like that, much the other shitty, repetitive and mindless jobs, it wouldn't end well.

Also, recruitment agencies hate me for some reason. After applying with many of them, not one of them has ever found me a job, I've never received so much as a phone call from any of them. This makes it difficult as I'm truly on my own trying to find work.

I did telemarketing for about 8 months. It was certainly an experience, but one I'd recommend for people. Once you've done one of the shittiest jobs around anything seems like a step up. I complain a lot less about things now that I've gone through the self-loathing which is calling people up and pissing them off (the place I worked was really dodgy). This was my first job after finishing uni (thanks global financial crisis!)

Deeku

Danoss said:
It must be hard having a future to look forward to.
I'll swap you for my life of being broke, jobless and unemployable
Have you met me?
If I had to do one of them, I would end up killing myself. I am not joking
So um, what's left? That would be nothing.
Oh, that makes sense. I'll add that to the list of things I can't do.
Not a chance I could do any of those things.
But the more I see, the more I notice how unsuitable I am to re-enter the work force.
I'm so close to giving up completely, I'm not really seeing the point in continuing to try any longer.
I haven't been able to find work since, and it's unlikely that I will.
I doubt I could handle the pressure of commission based sales again
With such a positive attitude, you'll find work in no time.

Deeku

Thanks for the inspiring words.
You better be! I only just got home from work and that took me like 10 mintues of copy and pasting and clicking the quote bubble and then losing my place and starting again.

Seriously, c'mon man, this attitude is going to get you no where. If you're not even trying, you shouldn't complain. Go for that JB job, you've done it before so you have some experience. Might be tough at first, but hey, having a job is pretty rad!

:)

Yagharek

I just bought Shinobi Game Gear on 3DS.

I used to love that game years and years ago. My brother had a gamegear and we used to play it endlessly growing up as kids. It's what kids used to play before pokemon and after tetris.

I thought it would probably be shit today, but nostalgia made me buy it (only $6).

It's not shit. It's incredible.

Rose tinted glasses = best tinted glasses.

Thanks for the inspiring words.

At least you have a cool piercing. ^^

What kind of work would you like to be doing? If you could do anything at all? It seems like you're stuck in a place, and I'm not sure you'll get out of it even if you do find work. Even though you said you don't think you're prepared to go back to school, I think you should consider it. Maybe try a tafe course for starters - see if you can get any financial support for something. Tafe courses are significantly lighter a load than uni, as a general rule. If you get a handle on that you might be able to either go on to further study or find work with whatever you do at tafe.

Dead Man

Yeah, property over there is seriously tempting me to go live over there for a while, dual citizenship FTW!

A current job always helps with job seeking, so it's not like it would be permanent, you can do any thing for 6 months while you get a better job.

Also, make sure your resumes is polished, there are lots of tricks to make it look better even if you have big gaps. I didn't work for 2 years a few years ago and while it took me a while to find a job, I did find one. Lots of places run free resume workshops, check you local centrelink office and your council offices.

Have you though about something like mystery shopping? The work is very infrequent, but you get paid to go try out a place and then write about it, easy as, and it is a current job to stick on your resume.

Edit:
At least you have a cool piercing. ^^

What kind of work would you like to be doing? If you could do anything at all? It seems like you're stuck in a place, and I'm not sure you'll get out of it even if you do find work. Even though you said you don't think you're prepared to go back to school, I think you should consider it. Maybe try a tafe course for starters - see if you can get any financial support for something. Tafe courses are significantly lighter a load than uni, as a general rule. If you get a handle on that you might be able to either go on to further study or find work with whatever you do at tafe.

Yeah, what is it that you want to be doing, if you could walk into the job tomorrow?

Yagharek

Going to have to second it: working (even a menial job) is easier than dealing with centrelink.

It took me 7 years after finishing uni before I got my first professional job. I finished uni in 2002. Went straight to retail work after a science degree ffs. Had enough, went back to uni to start postgrad. Hit the rocks motivation wise, bailed out and worked retail again for a few years. Started a teaching degree. Decided against it after 1 year.

I then did a tafe course for 1 year in laboratory management. Got a job straight out of it. That was a very repetitive, menial, mind-numbing job. But it paid ok, but not enough to save on.
That job lasted until I found something I wanted to do, so I applied for it after a year, and got it - which Ive now been doing for a bit over 3 years and it's great. I'm 31.

Hell, my brother has also been doing jobs he hates for years. Working for hire car companies at airports doing detailing. Cleaning houses from flood damage and worse. This year he decided to go back to studying and he last did school in '98 I think. Finally found something he wants to do and is motivated enough to have a shot.

I'm not going to say that there is any secret to it. Luck is a big deal, patience another. But the best thing you can do is try to find something that vaguely interests you even if only tangentially to what you'd best love to do, and have a crack.

For me, one of the biggest deals was moving interstate. Look into it if you can. WA especially. It has its downsides, but it might be worth considering.

Put out some ideas here for things youre interested in. I'm sure ausgaf has enough people who might be able to suggest things to look into if we know what you like, have studied or would like to study/train in?

edit: Danoss, also I do have to somewhat agree with your reluctance to jobs you know will break you. I really hit a dark place doing retail. Severely disillusioned, it made me a very angry person. If you know that working at a call centre will do you in, then it would be something to avoid I guess. I know I'm thankful for that day I fluffed an interview to work at a call centre for some mobile phone company. Might have been vodafone? Either way, nothing against them - but I wouldn't have done well there.

Danoss

Seriously, c'mon man, this attitude is going to get you no where. If you're not even trying, you shouldn't complain. Go for that JB job, you've done it before so you have some experience. Might be tough at first, but hey, having a job is pretty rad!

:)

Sure, it's from lack of trying. Instead of multi-quoting the crap out of my posts, you could have read them more thoroughly. You might have seen where I've been applying for jobs and not getting them, not even getting a call or email about them. Or perhaps you would have seen where I mentioned that I'm restricted by my bad back, which limits the physical activity I can do including standing up all day. Yes that's an arsehole response, but to suggest I'm not trying is pretty aggravating .

Working at JB involves standing up all day, which I can't do. I had my motorcycle accident whilst working at JB and was working under a nice manager when it happened. He allowed me to have a rest and sit down when I needed to so I could keep up the pace. When he left and the new manager came, the 2IC under him made my life hell. Back hurting? Tough it out pussy. I went through absolute agony with him bossing me around. I would have to rest as I felt my back was going to snap in half, he'd come and have a go, telling me to hop back to it, go stand on the empty floor with no customers, there's work to be done.

I actually had to use sick days under him my back got so bad. If he answered the phone when I called in, I'd get the 3rd degree about it like it was my fault. I'd fucking love not to have a ruined back. My knee got damaged in the same accident which stopped me playing tennis, which I loved doing. It kept me fit and kept the weight down. Not anymore, I've put on weight which has put even more pressure on my back. But nah, fuck you Danoss, you're not trying enough.

I have also applied for a number of JB jobs (amongst others) anyway, just to see if I can actually get an interview. Nope. So yeah, chin up Danoss, all that trying you've done doesn't count.

Put yourself in my shoes. Come and visit and see my Gran who can't do shit for herself, can't remember a thing and makes life difficult for those around her because of it. Like Groundhog Day? Now you get to live it. Because my Gran can't remember stuff, you get to have the same conversation, repeatedly, sometimes three times in a row. My friends are fucktards, so no support there. My family are cunts, so no support there. Deal with it on your own. Now find a job, even though you've been trying, applying for 2 months and nothing has come of it, not one thing, keep your head up, you're not being positive enough living your shitty life.

What kind of work would you like to be doing? If you could do anything at all?

As it stands right now, I would be horrible at it, but I thought working in photography would be great. Yes it's all terribly lame, everyone have a good laugh. There's not heaps of money in it, but I would be happy.

I looked into the TAFE course just to give me some opportunity to use studio equipment I can't afford, learn new techniques and refine my skills to give me a chance. The cut-off date was before I stopped being a carer for my Aunty when she had to go to a nursing home, so that failed. I also needed a portfolio to apply for the course. I lost all my pictures in a hardware failure, so no chance there, and couldn't go far with a terminally ill Aunty to try and build it back up again. That course only comes around once a year, so I can try applying again in six months. But if they don't like my portfolio then that idea can be thrown out the window.

Outside of that, I have no idea. I never knew what I wanted to do with myself, but I fell into insurance and I was good at that, but that turned to shit with redundancy, becoming a broker and then my manager there being terrible, so I quit to go work retail in Games Wizards for more money.

I was great at that job and was promoted within 2 weeks of starting there. Games Wizards ended up closing that shop within months of me starting. Then I got a job with JB and was amazing at that job. Everyone knew it, I was sent around to stores to fix things up or get new stores ready by the regional manager. Then that was essentially taken away from me. Everything has spiraled downwards ever since.

I'm fucking lost on what to do. I've tried every avenue I can think of and nothing is working.

Danoss, also I do have to somewhat agree with your reluctance to jobs you know will break you.

Thanks, I'm glad someone can see that. I'm not in a good way right now, I'm frustrated, severely depressed and alone. I have no one to go to or talk to about shit and it makes life fucking unbearable. If I put myself in a shit job that I hate, that'll be the last straw.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't let not getting an interview be a cause of demoralization. Most of the time they don't even look at all the resumes.

[Goddamn 'Token expired' message... this quick reply thing is sometimes more than it's worth]

Morning, AusGAF. Because of some of the content of some conversations around here in the past couple of weeks I've made the @AusGAF twitter account private. Anyone who was following and I didn't recognise, I've blocked from following.

If you'd like to follow you're more than welcome to. I'll approve anyone who's ever posted on GAF so if I've blocked you when I shouldn't have, PM me and I'll fix that up. If you've previously requested that the bot muffle your posts due to the large potential audience, I'd like to ask you to rethink that position given that the audience is much smaller and will mostly be known to you. No pressure of course, it's ultimately your decision.

Never forget though, that the potential audience is everyone, given that Google scrapes all of GAF (and quite frequently, I might add!).

There are indeed, would you not agree?
I used to know what cool was, but then they changed what cool is. Now I'm tired and alone.

Omikron

I would have no idea tbh. I just get things I like done.

Realised I have had my body piercing for over 10 years, before it was a cool thing to do. :p

Deeku

Bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Cold morning. What a relief that someone is going to practically sit on top of me on the train.
Super cold here in the morning, but it's warm during the day, so woo.

Too bad it's going back to sub 20s next week. Might need to start wearing a jumper under the suit, which I really do not want to:/

Too bad it's going back to sub 20s next week. Might need to start wearing a jumper under the suit, which I really do not want to:/
I imagine that would be kinda bulky. Can you wear a big coat over the top instead?
Isn't that what an overcoat is for? The name gives it away...

Edit: Too slow!

Edit edit: How about wearing a singlet under it all, and then maybe even a vest? Three-piece suit FTW?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
AD700s ordered from PCG. I would have preferred them from the joint right next door since it's next door and the model is in black. But at $30 more, Fuck that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom