• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive just decided I'm not at all excited for Wii U. No hype whatsoever. I'm still going to take the day off for E3 if I have the time to spare. I'm still going to get one. But all my expectations are in check.

This bodes well, because getting silly excited never ends well.

But dude.

Zelda.
Mario.
Donkey Kong.

How are you not excited?

Danoss

Danoss, sorry >< I think I went to bed before you posted it. Unfortunately I don't know much about photography, but I think you should build up your portfolio and apply again next time its offered, if you can afford it. If you're interested in filming as well I might know a little bit. A course would be great for not only honing your skills but also building connections with people so it will be easier to find a job.

That's fine, most of my previous reply to Vince applies here. In a nutshell: no chance of anything good happening in this area.

As for filming, that has always interested me. I've made a couple of special effects videos just for fun, sitting on my dropbox at the moment. I'm hesitant to share them on here for fear of being ridiculed like the Star Wars Kid. But that's an area I wouldn't even being to know what to do, where to go, etc. It seems overly saturated with already skilled, experienced and talented people. Even with the broad range of jobs that filming involves, I could only feel that I would be wasting my own and other peoples time.

Omikron

What is this? lol
And how does it relate to having German heritage? :s

Nothing.

We used to have this teacher that wore trousers with really open pockets. Each lesson when he would be helping someone in front of us on one of the desks we would slip some random item into his pockets. Usually something like a kinder surprise toy. Wonder what he did with them as he never said anything.

Inafking is back to save the Vita. Looks awesomely weird, which is what I want on my handhelds again!

Citybuilder Zeus is out on GOG. Once Pharaoh goes up I will have no need for modern gaming. All that will exist is my Impressions built paradise again.

You are a bad person, you need to watch this video again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVr4UP9ntLs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oh god, I want to cry.
You sir are worse than Hitler

What is this? lol
And how does it relate to having German heritage? :s
Just reminiscing about German class and people in our class who picked on the exchange aide. Was funny until she ran out crying and hopped onto a plane back to Germany.

Frawdder

Brilliant idea. Kids learn a lot easier the younger they are languages. Teach em Chinese or Japanese. I like this idea.
We learnt Chinese in primary school, had no choice. It was basically sitting in a class room listening to the teacher sing songs in Chinese and us not knowing what the fuck was going on. Teacher was a massive wanker on top of that.

It was amusing when we all went to high school and found out that we learnt more in our first week or so of German or Japanese (German for me) than we ever did of Chinese in 7 years of primary school

Danoss

As I'm sure many of you probably have me on ignore by now, here's some more depressing shit. If you were even considering reading it, you probably shouldn't.

Well, just when I didn't think things could get any worse, I discovered something on my body that shouldn't be there. I'm not going to say what it is, but it's terribly embarrassing and it seems to ensure that I will experience great discomfort for the rest of my life. I'm fucking 30 and my body seems to be falling apart, along with my life around me, and causing me a great deal of grief.

It was only a few months ago that I found out bowel cancer is hereditary in my family and it's dominant as hell, so I'm almost a certainty to get it. I need to have a camera shoved up my arse every couple of years to check for polyps as they eventually turn into cancer and kill me. Fuck it, I'm seriously considering not ever bothering getting it checked out. If it happened, it would be a blessing in disguise. I'm kinda hoping it happens.

It was only a few months ago that I found out bowel cancer is hereditary in my family and it's dominant as hell, so I'm almost a certainty to get it. I need to have a camera shoved up my arse every couple of years to check for polyps as they eventually turn into cancer and kill me. Fuck it, I'm seriously considering not ever bothering getting it checked out. If it happened, it would be a blessing in disguise. I'm kinda hoping it happens.
Get it checked out dude, I'm on a regular schedule of going to doctors now after putting it off for years and years. It is a nice piece of mind to know what the hell is going on in there now after the initial period of just not wanting to deal with it in case something was wrong.

Mate of my suddenly had to have part of his bowel removed and it hasn't changed his life too much. That was the wake up call for me to start taking this shit seriously.

Danoss

I would, but I don't see the point anymore. This last week has just demonstrated to me how shit my life is. Something that has made it worse or that little bit more difficult to deal with has occurred every day of this past week alone. It's not looking like getting better anytime soon.

Getting dealt a card like cancer, I would be totally fine with, that at least tells me that there's a time limit on how much more shit I have to deal with. I've tried to be a decent person and do the right thing by others and myself my whole life and life has just spat back in my face. I'm past the point where I can handle what's on my plate without some assistance, some friends or family that care that I can lean on. But I don't have either. It's too much and I just want it all to end.

CryptiK

As I'm sure many of you probably have me on ignore by now, here's some more depressing shit. If you were even considering reading it, you probably shouldn't.

Well, just when I didn't think things could get any worse, I discovered something on my body that shouldn't be there. I'm not going to say what it is, but it's terribly embarrassing and it seems to ensure that I will experience great discomfort for the rest of my life. I'm fucking 30 and my body seems to be falling apart, along with my life around me, and causing me a great deal of grief.

Im going to be harsh because it was the only thing that helped me when I was clincally diagnosed with depression. DON'T BE fucking SELFISH GET HELP NO ONE WANTS TO SEE YOU DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER OR DEAD. Seek help now!

Your depression is obviously causing paranoia.

Yagharek

But dude.

Zelda.
Mario.
Donkey Kong.

How are you not excited?

Oh, I'm sure that they'll be great. I'll be there day 1 even. But I'm not hyped.

Assured might be a better word.

The last 6 games Ive completed have been:
Skyward Sword, Portal 2, Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Ocarina of Time and Mario 3D Land.

Guess the 4 good ones.

Danoss

Im going to be harsh because it was the only thing that helped me when I was clincally diagnosed with depression. DON'T BE fucking SELFISH GET HELP NO ONE WANTS TO SEE YOU DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER OR DEAD. Seek help now!

It's not paranoia, it's hereditary. Here's some of my family history, Uncle: cancer, Great Uncle: cancer, another Uncle: cancer, Grandfather: cancer. An Oncologist told my only Uncle with cancer who is still alive to tell me, a blood relative, that I need to be regularly checked out because it's hereditary and very dangerous. If you're referring to the other thing, I'm not paranoid or imagining it, I know what it is and have been in pain all day because of it.

Who's going to miss me if I die? The friends I don't have? The family that wants nothing to do with me? And in a news update, this family is currently trying to take a future inheritance away from me, I think it would please them. Girlfriend? Never had one, no worries there. This list is awfully short with no one on it. Acquaintances don't count when the amount they would care is only enough to say "that's a shame".

I know I'm depressed, I know how to dig myself out of that pit and I've been trying for months to no avail. I can deal with shit if I have people I trust to talk to, but I don't have that, I get to deal with it all myself. I have no reason to give a fuck anymore.

Yagharek

Danoss - maybe you should look up a local adult mental health service? Find out what kind of counselling is available (pretty sure state gov't services exist) and see if you can get some assistance. I had some counselling for my depression and it helped me out.
edit: seriously - you cant dig yourself out of it alone. It's a medical issue and you need to seek help. Not necessarily medication, but counselling from a professional. You might end up doing the hard stuff all yourself, but you need to know what the good stuff to try is in the first place.

Just before I forget, if any of your direct family (parents I believe) were in service, veterans affairs also offers free counselling too last I checked. Not sure if its just a vietnam vet thing, but given your age is same as me, its possible you might be in that group.

Just quietly, that kind of argument is neither helpful nor accurate even though its said with genuine sentiment and best intentions.

Danoss

Danoss - maybe you should look up a local adult mental health service? Find out what kind of counselling is available (pretty sure state gov't services exist) and see if you can get some assistance. I had some counselling for my depression and it helped me out.
edit: seriously - you cant dig yourself out of it alone. It's a medical issue and you need to seek help. Not necessarily medication, but counselling from a professional. You might end up doing the hard stuff all yourself, but you need to know what the good stuff to try is in the first place.

Just before I forget, if any of your direct family (parents I believe) were in service, veterans affairs also offers free counselling too last I checked. Not sure if its just a vietnam vet thing, but given your age is same as me, its possible you might be in that group.

I've had counselling before and it was immensely helpful. They taught me skills to identify it when it crept on me and how to deal with it. It was mostly with identifying triggers and avoiding them or minimising their impact. I've been fine for many years since that time. Until now.

I can identify the current triggers, but I can't escape them. There's no valve to let off this figurative pressure that's currently building. I've been perfectly capable of dealing for a long time, I've had the tools at my disposal, those tools being close friends and the ability to step away, even for a brief time, just to catch my breath and relax. Those tools are gone. Yes counselling will help to some degree, but until I'm out of the situation I'm in, it won't go away.

My Gran has a Vet Affairs gold card, but it doesn't extend to me. Counselling costs money once you're no longer classed as a youth, so that's a problem even if counselling could help. Even if the counselling itself were free, it costs money that I don't really have just to get there.

I'm sorry if I'm freaking AusGAF out, I just don't have anyone to talk to. I can not post this stuff if it makes people uncomfortable.

Dead Man

I would, but I don't see the point anymore. This last week has just demonstrated to me how shit my life is. Something that has made it worse or that little bit more difficult to deal with has occurred every day of this past week alone. It's not looking like getting better anytime soon.

Getting dealt a card like cancer, I would be totally fine with, that at least tells me that there's a time limit on how much more shit I have to deal with. I've tried to be a decent person and do the right thing by others and myself my whole life and life has just spat back in my face. I'm past the point where I can handle what's on my plate without some assistance, some friends or family that care that I can lean on. But I don't have either. It's too much and I just want it all to end.

Okay, knock it off, god damn it. We get it, shit sucks. You know what? So do lots of things, and lots of people situations. If you are depressed, get some therapy or some meds, if you need help with finding a job, go get some help. If you are feeling suicidal, call a help line. Just because you have reduced physical capabilities does not give you any need to mope feeling bad for your situation. Bloody hell.

We get it, you are having a rough period. That sucks, I wish you weren't. I wish your life was awesome. But no ones life is awesome all the time.

AusGAF is trying to help you, but this indulgent shit is not helping.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I know I probably am. I am sorry you are stuck in a bad situation, I empathise, having been in similar places myself. But you need to find a way to take the help that people offer, even if you think there is no point.

I've had counselling before and it was immensely helpful. They taught me skills to identify it when it crept on me and how to deal with it. It was mostly with identifying triggers and avoiding them or minimising their impact. I've been fine for many years since that time. Until now.

I can identify the current triggers, but I can't escape them. There's no valve to let off this figurative pressure that's currently building. I've been perfectly capable of dealing for a long time, I've had the tools at my disposal, those tools being close friends and the ability to step away, even for a brief time, just to catch my breath and relax. Those tools are gone. Yes counselling will help to some degree, but until I'm out of the situation I'm in, it won't go away.

My Gran has a Vet Affairs gold card, but it doesn't extend to me. Counselling costs money once you're no longer classed as a youth, so that's a problem even if counselling could help. Even if the counselling itself were free, it costs money that I don't really have just to get there.

I'm sorry if I'm freaking AusGAF out, I just don't have anyone to talk to. I can not post this stuff if it makes people uncomfortable.
I don't want you to stop posting. Shit, now my previous post is even more arseholeish. Fuck it, posting it anyway, I hope you don't take it badly. Also, check your PM's.

Yagharek

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/mentalhealth/services/adult/index.htm

Click on your region (on the right hand sidebar)
eg Inner Urban East

Up the top will be a number:

Psychiatric triage (information, assessment and referral)
24 hours a day, 7 days a week Telephone: 1300 xxx xxx

-------------

Other things:
Go to GP. Ask about access to a Medicare Mental Health Care Plan
This provides up to 10 sessions with no gap/small fee. GPs will know if there is a fee or not.

Also try:
http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?
Find a practitioner link: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?link_id=107.1007

------------------

Mens Line (for immediate support)
http://www.mensline.org.au/home.aspx
1300 78 99 78 (24/7 coverage)
These guys could also explain the medicare mental heath care plan.

--------------

GPs can refer to FREE community services (adult) but there can be long wait lists and if so a GP can make a decision as to whats best which might involve the care plan, or through not for profit orgs like anglicare/centacare which are often free too, or on a sliding scale according to income.

edit: if youre not in victoria, let me know and Ill get more links.

Danoss

Oh, I thought I was unique snowflake.

I won't waste any of your time any longer. Shit, I was trying to let some stuff out to see if it helped. It didn't and I've gotten under peoples skin in the process. It's likely I'll have to turn off my internet connection soon to save on some cash. So even if I kept posting, it's unlikely to continue for much longer. It'll be nice to be remembered as AusGAF's resident nutjob.

Thanks for the links Vince. I'm pretty broke, so I'm not sure how much good they'll do me, especially being in NSW. My phone line is VoIP, so that'll get turned off when the internet goes.

Yagharek

GPs are in NSW.
If you ask about the Medicare Mental Health Care Plan you can get the GP session claimed back.
Centacare/Anglicare are in NSW too.

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/mhdao/contact_service.asp
Mental Health - 24 hour contacts

To access a local public mental health service, please contact your local area health service via these 24 hour emergency numbers.

Area Health Service

Telephone

Northern Sydney / Central Coast
1800 011 511
South Eastern Sydney / Illawarra
South Eastern Sydney: 1300 300 180
Illawarra: 1300 552 289
Sydney South West
1800 011 511
Sydney West
1800 650 749
Greater Southern
Western (former Greater Murray): 1800 011 511
Eastern (former Southern): 1800 011 511
Greater Western
Central and Far West: 1800 011 511
Hunter / New England
Hunter: 1800 655 085
New England: 1300 669 757
North Coast
1800 011 511

Everything I said above applies. You can get free counselling.

Best advice is go see your GP first

Dead Man

I won't waste any of your time any longer. Shit, I was trying to let some stuff out to see if it helped. It didn't and I've gotten under peoples skin in the process. It's likely I'll have to turn off my internet connection soon to save on some cash. So even if I kept posting, it's unlikely to continue for much longer. It'll be nice to be remembered as AusGAF's resident nutjob.

Thanks for the links Vince. I'm pretty broke, so I'm not sure how much good they'll do me, especially being in NSW. My phone line is VoIP, so that'll get turned off when the internet goes.

Are you a registered job seeker? There are lots of programmes to help unemployed people if they are registered job seekers.

http://www.catholiccare.org/page.aspx?element=29&category=5 (don't worry aout the catholic part, they don't push religion)

http://www.anglicare.org.au/our-services - a good agency with multiple services.

Me too :s Stayed up watching Thor this time. Tomorrow: Iron mans!

Hey, I don't feel like you're wasting anyone's time. I guess I just wasn't sure if you were just looking for a place to lay down what you were feeling, or wanted support or advice. I really hope you don't have to leave :( If you do end up turning the net off for a while, give us a buzz from the library or something yeah?

Bernbaum

Here are some beers I've been tasting.

Of the first three, only one of caught my attention. As a fan of pale ale in all its forms, I was disappointed with the IPA which was a bit flat flavour-wise with a weird tasting finish. Bombadier's main brew is a reliable staple found everywhere but I was disappointed with their 'Burning Gold' pictured central below. Why? Of all the bitters I've tried, it was worryingly close to XXXX.

Reassuringly, the Bishop's Finger was a winner. That's two Kentish ales I've tried, the other being Spitfire. I'd like to try one of each in the same sitting to determine which is tastier as they're both quite similar.

vVVS1.jpg

Thought I'd try something a bit more mainstream. The Marston's Pale was a no-frills but enjoyable drop. A good beer for when you order pizza in, but from the good place and not Dominoes.

pevcE.jpg

I'm in Amsterdam just for the weekend. They have beers that aren't Heineken or Grolsch that I'm looking forward to trying.

Bernbaum

Thor and Captain America seem like the only films that are prerequisites for understanding a few of the narrative devices in Avengers.

Iron Man 2 has a lot of S.H.E.I.L.D. stuff, but isn't essential apart from character introductions.

Clipper

Damn it... No more ordering LEGO from the US for me. Firstly, I had to jump through several hoops to try to get their website to accept my order, as it needed me to edit the address which it had saved and had automatically applied to my order. Then, they went and cancelled that order on me without giving any information about why.

After calling them (thank you Skype for giving us free 1-800 numbers), they told me it was cancelled because they detected it as a third party address. At least the guy was nice enough to say he'd give me back the loyalty points I had spent on the cancelled order. So yeah, looks like I'm out of luck ordering via them and will have to put up with the ~$50-$100 fee per item for buying from the Aussie store instead.

And now there won't be anything to consolidate with my Diablo III Collector's box, which is a tad annoying too. Yeah, it's all First World problems and I can easily afford it, but it seems that many companies are beginning to lock us out of even the few workarounds we have to avoid paying the Aussie tax on these items.

Stackboy

I really hope you find someone to talk to about your problems. There is always help out there and I think talking to someone else will really help you out. No one should have to feel like you do. It's horrible to hear of someone in the situation you are in and I honestly hope you are able speak to someone you trust immediately.

Jintor

Danoss, I hope you're okay. I hope you contact someone qualified to talk this out with you. I hope everything gets better for you.

Free Midnight Club 2 just for liking Rockstar games on Steam!

Tropico 4 is a full game trial for the weekend! Is this the first time a single player game has gotten the free weekend treatment? Riding Sony's coat tails I see!

vVVS1.jpg

I'm in Amsterdam just for the weekend. They have beers that aren't Heineken or Grolsch that I'm looking forward to trying.
I did very much enjoy the Bombadier that is available at Dan's, also enjoyed Spitfire. Never come across the Bishops Finger though :(

Do they sell Amstel in Amsterdam? Because I would drink a lot of it, goes down easier than water. Fairly certain it was import that my local Safeway was getting in for a while.

This is some straight up, worst company in America, bullshit. So glad I didn't buy Battlefield 3.

Also Dishonored should come out next week, not in October. That is also bullshit :(
Boxart should bring in the Skyrim/DudeBro crowd at least.

There's a joke there somewhere. I can sense it.

Is it sad that my first thought from reading that sentence was it reminds me more of Bishop cutting his finger in Aliens, giving us the startling realisation that he is an android? Well, more confirmation, as that knife game shit was some super human shit. I lived a sheltered geeks life obviously.

Choc

Banned
GPs are in NSW.
If you ask about the Medicare Mental Health Care Plan you can get the GP session claimed back.
Centacare/Anglicare are in NSW too.

Everything I said above applies. You can get free counselling.

Best advice is go see your GP first

agreed. My wife has been to free counselling under this scheme and its good. Very good.

''When you've got overseas websites selling the same pair of jeans for $100 or $150 cheaper because they don't have to pay the outdated taxes and duties that we do, then what hope do we have?''
Umm, how about compete on something other than price? Why not find a way to make it cheaper you lazy fucks?

Why take a negative attitude to it. Instead of trying to make EVERYONE fuck the consumer in the arse why not use your "International Fashion Group" to get the "outdated taxes and duties" changed to something that ISN'T outdated?

Good luck making every retailer in the world take a hit on sales for the sake of making the "International Fashion Group" happier. Once those retailers that have agreed see their profit levels on sales to Australian customers drop they will change their minds.

EDIT: and another thing, retailers are sending their money overseas too! They buy this shit from overseas companies who get it manufactured in the cheapest place possible! I actually LIKE buying stuff that is made in Australia, as long as it isn't stupidly expensive.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
When the bishop gives you the finger, You know he means business.

This is where the dota 2 invitational that is being hosted by valve along with a $1m prize for the winner is being held.

http://www.joindota.com/en/news/3058-international-2-time-and-location

Looks super fucking nice, It's some classy shit.

I totally had something awesome written out in regards to Danoss and life. But I don't believe it would serve it's purpose, It wasn't exactly advice either. I can tell Danoss is just the same as me when it comes to depression and advice. We believe we are unique, even though we aren't, so we like to make excuses since we believe that nothing good could ever happen to us, we aren't good enough for this earth and so on.

I do hope you find your way out of the hole. For me it was actually menial jobs. It got my mind off things and i've taken it from there. There's still that 3 - 4 year period full of regret though that hangs in the back of my mind and pulls me down every so often. That's fun D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom