• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

EB Game Disc Insurance, too.

I used to work there when it was first introduced. Let me tell you, some discs came back looking like they had been through a sandpaper or nail factory. For a very few people (namely bogans and/or those with small children who liked to investigate discs thoroughly) it was actually worthwhile.

For GAF types, it's worthless.

edit: it was also great for people who bought the incredibly well manufactured launch 360s.

Yagharek

Ugh. Did it?

The thing that ticked me off was the UC3 example where they gave no details, then included UC2 rehash maps as part of it. Thats pretty lame.

Yagharek

Oh, I just made the mistake of reading comments on the abc drum site about obama's gay marriage stance.

I thought we were out of the bronze age?

Gazunta

I've talked to Goose about this on Twitter a bit but mags not using in house artists to make their own covers is a sorely missed practice.

It's common to see magazines with identical covers now. :(

Yagharek

I've talked to Goose about this on Twitter a bit but mags not using in house artists to make their own covers is a sorely missed practice.

It's common to see magazines with identical covers now. :(

And stories. Got to ctrl-v the publisher sanctioned impressions.

Danoss

I'm surprised that publishers haven't gotten together to create their own magazine/website. Review your own games!

I suppose that's not needed if current games publications/websites are happy to bend to their will.

Yagharek

I'm surprised that publishers haven't gotten together to create their own magazine/website. Review your own games!

I suppose that's not needed if current games publications/websites are happy to bend to their will.

Why would they when they would have to pay wages? They currently get what they want for free.

If you want to be taken back to the stone age, read any comments on news.com.au

Stone Age is a little too advanced for those dregs.

Danoss

Why would they when they would have to pay wages? They currently get what they want for free.

Yeah, that's why I thought they could be happy with the current setup. For them it's like being the bully, but the victims come and willingly give you their lunch money.

They could just have the PR guys do the reviews, they kind of do anyway with the 'review guides'. Just go the whole hog and write the review instead.

Yagharek

Yeah, that's why I thought they could be happy with the current setup. For them it's like being the bully, but the victims come and willingly give you their lunch money.

They could just have the PR guys do the reviews, they kind of do anyway with the 'review guides'. Just go the whole hog and write the review instead.

Dont forget the review embargo if its not the pre-approved score. And forget about reviewing games from them in future if you dont like the mega-hyped $100 AAAAA blockbuster with a 4 hour campaign and superior predecessor.

Oh, I just made the mistake of reading comments on the abc drum site about obama's gay marriage stance.

I thought we were out of the bronze age?

Uh oh, baaaad idea. I wasted at least an hour getting riled up over "our kids can't even speak English good in primary school!" comments in a drum article about some school in Sydney going bilingual.

The Australian is even more depressing because the comments are just as bigoted AND they got published. They say they just publish them to "stay neutral on the issue". Sure.

Gazunta

We actually did this back at Melbourne House / Beam Software :)

Yagharek

I like the moron excuse some commentators make of "we have issues x/y/z to deal with (budget/taxes/immigration for example) so why should they waste time debating this?!"

It's as if they dont realise parliaments the world over are quite capable of debating multiple pieces of legislation ALL THE TIME.

It's one step away from the level of stupidity evident in any statement that starts with "I'm not racist, but..."

Jintor

GameInformer is pretty close, but yeah.

Danoss

Dont forget the review embargo if its not the pre-approved score. And forget about reviewing games from them in future if you dont like the mega-hyped $100 AAAAA blockbuster with a 4 hour campaign and superior predecessor.

Yep, that sounds like bullying. "Tell how great I am, and always call me 'Sir' or I beat you up in front of all the girls and then dunk your head in the toilet I just pissed in!"

Also, I just noticed that you're one of 2 people who's conversed with me on here since last night. After I was asked "What would you do if you could anything?" and responded "Photography". Well... it was like when you're in a busy place and then right after you say something, it gets reeeeaaal quiet. So, that was a mistake.

Moving on...

midonnay

<<<<<<<< closet young liberal :>

do ppl pay for gameinformer?

or is it like those freebie movie mags you get at video rental stores?

Yagharek

Yep, that sounds like bullying. "Tell how great I am, and always call me 'Sir' or I beat you up in front of all the girls and then dunk your head in the toilet I just pissed in!"

Also, I just noticed that you're one of 2 people who's conversed with me on here since last night. After I was asked "What would you do if you could anything?" and responded "Photography". Well... it was like when you're in a busy place and then right after you say something, it gets reeeeaaal quiet. So, that was a mistake.

Moving on...

Speaking of photography, one of my brother's mates does freelance and has made a name for himself doing a lot of surf photos for one. I think he made a name for himself with some spectacular pics of the break at shipstern bluff in Tas. He made inroads with that I think.

I dont know how possible that would be in a big city like melbourne as an example, but there would also be a lot of smaller publications too. In all seriousness, try calling up a couple of small mags around the place if you can and see what sort of stuff they hire for or pay for on a freelance basis. Assuming you dont need a portfolio to start, its also a way you might find out how the business works and you get to build up that portfolio for that course if you get to apply.

Danoss, sorry >< I think I went to bed before you posted it. Unfortunately I don't know much about photography, but I think you should build up your portfolio and apply again next time its offered, if you can afford it. If you're interested in filming as well I might know a little bit. A course would be great for not only honing your skills but also building connections with people so it will be easier to find a job.

This issue comes up every few years and never goes anywhere as they cut it to save cash. Don't believe it.

;.; I wish they did it when I was a kid...

Omikron

;.; I wish they did it when I was a kid...
Languages were certainly compulsory in year 7/8 while I was at school, I did it for another year on top, but had no chance of squeezing it into a schedule that involved extra math and science classes after that. And so it goes.

Moving on...
Danoss, after all the support, help, well-wishes and ideas that people in here have given you, this comes across as slightly disrespectful.

May I ask what sort of responses were you hoping for?

I did two years of French in grade 8 and 9, then I moved schools and they didn't offer it so I ended up doing Japanese through distance ed. My little brother only had to do one term of Chinese in grade eight though. Just one!

Omi, Germanic as in English or something else?

Deeku

I regret not trying ancient greek at school. Also dropping latin in order to start japanese kinda sucked, would have been great to do both.

Jintor

I dropped Japanese to do Drama and kinda regret it. I say kinda because Drama was a hell of a lot of fun, but I didn't really get anything out of it. Well, maybe a small semblance of acting confidence.

Omikron

I did two years of French in grade 8 and 9, then I moved schools and they didn't offer it so I ended up doing Japanese through distance ed. My little brother only had to do one term of Chinese in grade eight though. Just one!

Omi, Germanic as in English or something else?
My grandparents are immigrants from Germany (still citizens) and UK.

Abbott wants kids learning a second language from preschool >_>
lol how about get them to handle English properly first? I've seen plenty of kids lately that need a hell of a lot more time with their English teacher.

do ppl pay for gameinformer?
Yeah it is like $30 a year delivered, used to get it with an EDGE card that gave you 10% off pre-owned games and 10% more trade in credit.

Fucked if I know how the current carrot based reward system works <_>

Also it is really good, great artwork throughout with some great interviews and the retro lookback pieces are usually good to read. For $30 a year it is great. I did see GamesTM the other day for $10 and it was MASSIVE. Very tempting to pick up a copy and give it a shot.

Having a germanic background helped with German :p
BROFIST.JPG also we share the big German nose gene. What a sucky gene.

Love me some blackforest cake. Also throwing rubbers at teachers heads. We never did any Nazi jokes though, which is surprising in retrospect.

Wait, actually we learnt German in primary school, totally forgot that. I think it was from grade 5 through to year 10 in high school.

Danoss

Speaking of photography, one of my brother's mates does freelance and has made a name for himself doing a lot of surf photos for one. I think he made a name for himself with some spectacular pics of the break at shipstern bluff in Tas. He made inroads with that I think.

I dont know how possible that would be in a big city like melbourne as an example, but there would also be a lot of smaller publications too. In all seriousness, try calling up a couple of small mags around the place if you can and see what sort of stuff they hire for or pay for on a freelance basis. Assuming you dont need a portfolio to start, its also a way you might find out how the business works and you get to build up that portfolio for that course if you get to apply.

Oh, I've already given up on the idea, don't worry. It's a pipe dream for me to even consider going down that path. I was trying to laugh at myself for even considering something so stupid and being met with silence after voicing it. Read on for more depressing crap. I haven't had the opportunity to get out there and see what works and what doesn't to be able to improve. So my skills have completely stagnated, and most likely receded.

I'm restricted by public transport, given what I'll need to carry. Being unemployed should give me time to go out and about, but then there's the cost of the transport... so that's a no go. I could try practicing with portraits, but that would require knowing people who would allow me to practice on them. I know someone with a real estate business that could possibly give me a start in that area, but we don't talk anymore. I'd love to try any of these things, but I'm hamstrung by money (and lack of any friends) once again.

As for trying to hone my skills in a course, by the time the course rolls around again in 6 months I couldn't afford the fees and have no portfolio for them to see anyway.

Omikron

l BROFIST.JPG also we share the big German nose gene. What a sucky gene.

Love me some blackforest cake. Also throwing rubbers at teachers heads. We never did any Nazi jokes though, which is surprising in retrospect.

Wait, actually we learnt German in primary school, totally forgot that. I think it was from grade 5 through to year 10 in high school.

I was called a Nazi at school. ;P

I was called a Nazi at school. ;P

You totally rocked the Hitlerstache right? There was actually very little bullying at our high school, by the time I got to year 9 it was pretty much non existent. The joys of a country public school! Even the fat kids were well liked, same with the weird ones (me in both cases).

Probably indicative that we called my best mate Nigger because he was very well tanned. We were sheltered country folk. :)

Omikron

You totally rocked the Hitlerstache right? There was actually very little bullying at our high school, by the time I got to year 9 it was pretty much non existent. The joys of a country public school! Even the fat kids were well liked, same with the weird ones (me in both cases).

Probably indicative that we called my best mate Nigger because he was very well tanned. We were sheltered country folk. :)

You are a bad person, you need to watch this video again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVr4UP9ntLs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oh god, I want to cry.

lol how about get them to handle English properly first? I've seen plenty of kids lately that need a hell of a lot more time with their English teacher.

At that age kids just soak up language like a sponge. Its so much better for them to be learning at that age, since its possible for them to become native in two languages. They still get English time, and it doesn't detract from their learning at all really.

BROFIST.JPG also we share the big German nose gene. What a sucky gene.

Pretty sure i got stuck with that gene as well, though my German heritage is significantly more diluted.

My grandparents are immigrants from Germany (still citizens) and UK.

Oh awesome! Can you speak much?

Omikron

Used to be a lot better, pretty rubbish since I moved interstate away from being exposed to it daily/weekly or whatever.

I can still understand bits of sentences to know what people are on about.

Choc

Banned
Abbott wants kids learning a second language from preschool >_>

Brilliant idea. Kids learn a lot easier the younger they are languages. Teach em Chinese or Japanese. I like this idea.

Abbott's budget reply. Embarrassing.

Surprised? really?

He is quite frankly a joke. Any other person but JG would be smashing him and if she hadn't Carbon Tax'd the place, TA would be long gone and a new leader installed as TA rating would be so low.

Behind doors, Liberals are very worried about TA's approval rating. Not the parties, its fine. But in 2 PM preferred he trails JG lol

Yagharek

Ive just decided I'm not at all excited for Wii U. No hype whatsoever. I'm still going to take the day off for E3 if I have the time to spare. I'm still going to get one. But all my expectations are in check.

This bodes well, because getting silly excited never ends well.

Choc

Banned
""If Australians are to make their way in the world, we cannot rely on other people speaking our language," he said.

you mean English right Tony, the language that dominates the world and most non english speaking people speak it in Europe for example?

It's still a good idea to teach kids Japanese and Chinese given our region.

In his third budget reply speech, Mr Abbott applauded the government's "eagerness" to deliver a surplus

wow! a positive!

"It starts with abolishing the carbon tax and abolishing the mining tax," he said – in reference to the Coalition's long-standing opposition to both taxes.

What tony doesn't get is the uncertainty around the CT and the removal or keeping it is harming business confidence. They can't prepare or invest as they have no idea what is going to happen!

Thats a problem.

In the wake of the budget this week, Prime Minister Julia Gillard has said that people on Sydney's North Shore, where Mr Abbott and shadow treasurer Joe Hockey have their electorates, do not understand the financial burdens of families in the "real word".

It's an interesting comment. TA is not from the North Shore for one (nth beaches). I do think that people on the North Shore fucking whinge a lot more than they should. As people say, its them who chose to take out $800,000 mortgages. I see people whinging about cost of living driving an Audi A5 and living in a six bedroom house sending their kids to ultra exclusive schools.

oooooooooooook then. Most of them wouldn't know a tough budget if he hit them in the face and i live amongst em.

He said that Australia needs more successful people and that people who earn $83,000 a year and families on $150,000 were not rich.

But they aren't exactly struggling either...... and if they are, its of their own doing really with those 800k mortgages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom