• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

So... importers get exclusive rights to a brand to import from overseas, getting the benefit of buying low and selling high, and get pissed off when other people want to take advantage of a global market? Yeah, my tears are just pouring out.
Pre-Planned and still can't fucking spell check.

http://www.liberal.org.au/Pages/Our-Plan.aspx

lol.

Chocing the shit out of it today. It's fun.
That is ridiculous. How in the hell can they be the next government?
It really seems as if the "niceness" of the name is directly proportional to the shittyness of the suburb though, no matter what city you go to.
comingtoamericaqueens.jpg

senahorse

x3n, why not just buy a Raspberry Pi or Cubox? Particularly if it's just for a small device to watch media. Probably going to order a Pi myself for expected arrival Aug/Sep.

I have 1 (or 2?) pi's on order. There are a number of problems with the pi for what I want:

• Not enough power for emulators
  • Don't think it will be able to run Flash
  • As it will be *nix only, I won't be able to get adequate blu-ray support (if at all)
  • Doesn't support (at least out of the box) many video codecs

My gf wants to use them for home automation, so we will probably get a gertboard as well so she can program some stuff and test how good they are compared to say Aurdino. For an XMBC only device the Pi is a great little thing, but I am greedy and want more :D

edit: they're awesome cookie, might get some printed here at work for the rumpus

I had McGovern for Maths a and b, he was an angry guy at times (or maybe he didn't like me). He used to greet me with "ahh mr surname, with short back and sides" (i had an undercut with 1 blade). And I remember him going on and on and on about pythagoras's theorem.

lol, that sounds like him. I think by the time he got around to teaching me he was getting a bit too old to remember anyone. He'd say "now, are there any questions?" while looking at the board, and then continue on without pausing.

D.Lo

Whilst there are some atrocious names for places, there are the blandest names that if you think about them for just a second, realise that approaching zero effort went into them.

Townsville leads the charge with Newtown not far behind.
Townsville was named after a guy called Towns, and Newtown was named colloquially 200 years ago after a local store that had a sign on it that said ‘New Town Store’. There’s local history in the names.

Much better than stolen/tribute place names like Newcastle, Perth, Liverpool etc imo.

Best suburb name is Sans Souci.

Clipper

Couldn't you get it mailed to a friend over there and then have them send it on?
I could, but that's a bit tough to put onto somebody. Small things like games are easy to package and send and I've got a few friends that could do that for me, but a big parcel like the LEGO orders I make is too much to ask of someone.

There's also the issue that my best friends over there are all in states that have sales tax, which would increase the price significantly.

senahorse

lol, that sounds like him. I think by the time he got around to teaching me he was getting a bit too old to remember anyone. He'd say "now, are there any questions?" while looking at the board, and then continue on without pausing.

Haha, I remember him being a pretty decent teacher at the time (teaching quality wise) sounds like he just got too old for it. The teachers I can recall were Mrs Langtree (music), Mrs Hall (typing I think), Ms DeSouza (english), Mr Moncrief (PE). There are many more I am sure, I just can't recall them atm. Oh yeah and Mrs Guthrie (formally known as someone else) who had an affair with the principal at the time (not my friend's dad) Bob Guthrie.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So it sounds like I need antibiotics to clear up the infection. I wonder if we have any floating around at home that I can just chug on for a few days. See if it kills me over the weekend.

So it sounds like I need antibiotics to clear up the infection. I wonder if we have any floating around at home that I can just chug on for a few days. See if it kills me over the weekend.
No. Just... no, cookie. Not all antibiotics are the same and can do more harm than good. Some antibiotics will affect your body's natural bacteria and throw and could allow an infection (if that is indeed the problem) to get worse.

There are a few reasons for urinary problems, some trivial, some worse. It's for the best to consult a doctor, mate.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
No. Just... no, cookie. Not all antibiotics are the same and can do more harm than good. Some antibiotics will affect your body's natural bacteria and throw and could allow an infection (if that is indeed the problem) to get worse.

There are a few reasons for urinary problems, some trivial, some worse. It's for the best to consult a doctor, mate.

Nooooooo. That requires effort, There's no pain or anything. I will hopefully grab the bus tonight instead of walking to the station to see if that changes anything. If not, I guess I will need to hit up the docs for some pills.

Curses.

markot

Banned
how do you save 70 billion (overall budget savings TA says he can get) by not means testing the Health rebate?

He proved in the last election that he can just bs numbers and no one gives a damn.

And no one still does.

Its amazing what they get away with constantly, but there are bigger matters, like Kevin Rudd being snubbed or something.

Danoss

Take two, I was writing this and my computer shat itself, so I had to restart. This is getting more and more frequent, so something is on the way out, likely graphics card. I can't afford to replace it, so once it's gone it's gone.

Anyway, I said to myself that I wouldn't post anymore personal shit, but I'm making an exception just for this.

I went to the GP this afternoon to get something checked out, after being nudged by reptile to do so. I'm still not saying what it is, but those of you following me and reptile on twitter could easily put 2 and 2 together. I had to get some stuff to treat it, and also received the wonderful news that I get to look forward to this particular problem reoccurring for at least the next 3-5 years, most likely resulting in surgery. The waiting list is long, so it won't be in a hurry. But this is not what I came here to write about.

I mentioned about the hereditary malignant polyps in my family history. He told me I should definitely get this checked out. I asked how I went about it. He told me that he'd refer me to the hospital, they'd examine me and recommend I have a colonoscopy. Not immediately of course, since I don't have private health care and can't afford to pay for it out of pocket, I go on the long 5-6 year waiting. But not to worry, he said it's too early and not to worry until I'm 50. The opposite of what I'd been told previously. Again, not what I came here to write about.

I was hesitant, and should have gone with my gut on this one. I mentioned my depression to him and asked what can be done to assist me. I said, amongst other things, that's partly a contributor to my weight, which he said was a concern, as I lacked motivation and whatnot. I was told since I can't afford a psychologist, my options are limited. He said there was a centre nearby, but he'd need to know things about me beforehand. First he asked how I was doing for money, I told him I can afford bills and that's it, nothing more. Then he asked me what time I get out of bed of a morning. 10am I said, I have nothing to do for the day besides look online for jobs and such, plus I'm becoming increasingly demotivated by the lack of results, what's the rush to get out of bed?

Well, apparently that's gone and done it. Since I can't pay, Psychologists don't want to help unless they can be guaranteed results. If I was motivated to get out of bed early, had less money than I needed to pay bills (and would essentially be bankrupt) and had a sunny outlook on life, then he was sure I could get the help I need. But since that's not the case, there isn't much that can be done.

If I had motivation and a sunny outlook on life, I wouldn't need counselling in the first place. What a waste of my time and effort. Happy and cheerful and loving life? Here's some services that you don't need to help you! Down in the dumps and lost all hope? Get back into your hole, loser!

senahorse

Welp...

I have just been asked to do half a lecture to some 2nd/3rd year students next week about wireless technologies, I am not a public speaker :/

Firstly, Danoss, I'm extremely happy to hear that you've taken some steps to looking after yourself.

Secondly, don't let that first doctor discourage you. See a second one, get a second opinion. When it comes to health, your own especially, don't always rely on the quick diagnosis of one doctor.

See someone else. See what they have to say. Mostly, however, make that the primary reason for a visit. That way they know it's a major concern and interpret it as a secondary issue that "you're bringing up just because you're there."

You owe it to yourself.

Welp...

I have just been asked to do half a lecture to some 2nd/3rd year students next week about wireless technologies, I am not a public speaker :/
As proof and demonstration of the technology do it remotely.

Kids are like old people, just tell them that wizards send out positive energy that turns into wireless data waves. They will love that.

Well, apparently that's gone and done it. Since I can't pay, Psychologists don't want to help unless they can be guaranteed results. If I was motivated to get out of bed early, had less money than I needed to pay bills (and would essentially be bankrupt) and had a sunny outlook on life, then he was sure I could get the help I need. But since that's not the case, there isn't much that can be done.
I am the wrong person to talk to about psychologists but I would say that is the opposite of the truth. Most psychologists I have met see their patients as cash cows. Again, that is just my experience with them professionally and socially. Steer clear of psychology students too as a lot of them are studying it more for their own issues rather than to help others and will project their own symptoms into a diagnosis, not all though just an observation!

I wouldn't recommend going to one off the bat, depression is a wide ranging thing that can't be fixed by one person and the idea of recommending people to help you is an educated guess, there isn't one golden child who can fix everyone. Through trial and error of canvasing people who are willing to help will eventually hit on the person or people who will gradually cause a shift in subconscious mood. So my (very uneducated and probably incorrect due to the way I handled my depression) would be to try any and all outreach programs that are accepting of people. The ones who throw up barriers will be harder to deal with.

markot

Banned
Some doctors just arent that great really. My main gp is great, but other ones I have been too... well... some of them made me sicker >_>;

senahorse

Well actually, most of it will be using a control system to demonstrate the technology and features so I should just be able to wing most of it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

If I had motivation and a sunny outlook on life, I wouldn't need counselling in the first place. What a waste of my time and effort. Happy and cheerful and loving life? Here's some services that you don't need to help you! Down in the dumps and lost all hope? Get back into your hole, loser!

I think what he was probably looking for is a, yea life currently sucks but I would certainly like it to be better. Fake that shit and he would have believed that you actually do want to help yourself and improve your life. It sounds fucking stupid to say that, But to a lot of people there's no point helping out someone who doesn't seem like they actually want the help. Even though we here know you would love life to be better.

I personally think, in my well taught and educated training, that you need to do something random. Something so fucking out there for you personally that makes no sense at all.

I do somewhat wish that you would take shitty jobs. I know that's an odd thing to say, But for me it's what helped me get up in the morning. There's a good chance you could meet some outstanding people (along with fuckwits). You could be working a shitty position but the company could be excellent. I dunno, Search for new experiences I guess when it comes to a job. Don't think of it as just another shitty job but as a new experience with different people. I wish I had done that when I was younger, bounce from random ass job to random ass job. I might have actually had friends by now D: and I may even have had some interesting stories to share by the time I'm 50.

There's certainly some mistakes we have all made in life. Mine was spending 4 years playing WoW while not working because I believed I was better than what was out there and that the world owed me something. It took me a while to realise planet earth doesn't owe me a fucking thing, I owe it everything.

Rezbit

Checking in to say CAN'T SEE SHIT! Went to the Ophthalmologist to make sure these floaters in my vision are nothing bad. The really positive news is my eyes are healthy, and also I don't need glasses. The dilation drops they use so they can check you out mean I can't see shit close up and everything is all bright and glarey. It's like being in one of those shitty games after HDR was discovered.

Fogz

Checking in to say CAN'T SEE SHIT! Went to the Ophthalmologist to make sure these floaters in my vision are nothing bad. The really positive news is my eyes are healthy, and also I don't need glasses. The dilation drops they use so they can check you out mean I can't see shit close up and everything is all bright and glarey. It's like being in one of those shitty games after HDR was discovered.

Yeah I got those floaties too and was told they are harmless. Gets annoying sometimes, but at least if you have nothing to look at but a blank wall, you still have something to look at :)

Dead Man

Take two, I was writing this and my computer shat itself, so I had to restart. This is getting more and more frequent, so something is on the way out, likely graphics card. I can't afford to replace it, so once it's gone it's gone.

Anyway, I said to myself that I wouldn't post anymore personal shit, but I'm making an exception just for this.

I went to the GP this afternoon to get something checked out, after being nudged by reptile to do so. I'm still not saying what it is, but those of you following me and reptile on twitter could easily put 2 and 2 together. I had to get some stuff to treat it, and also received the wonderful news that I get to look forward to this particular problem reoccurring for at least the next 3-5 years, most likely resulting in surgery. The waiting list is long, so it won't be in a hurry. But this is not what I came here to write about.

I mentioned about the hereditary malignant polyps in my family history. He told me I should definitely get this checked out. I asked how I went about it. He told me that he'd refer me to the hospital, they'd examine me and recommend I have a colonoscopy. Not immediately of course, since I don't have private health care and can't afford to pay for it out of pocket, I go on the long 5-6 year waiting. But not to worry, he said it's too early and not to worry until I'm 50. The opposite of what I'd been told previously. Again, not what I came here to write about.

I was hesitant, and should have gone with my gut on this one. I mentioned my depression to him and asked what can be done to assist me. I said, amongst other things, that's partly a contributor to my weight, which he said was a concern, as I lacked motivation and whatnot. I was told since I can't afford a psychologist, my options are limited. He said there was a centre nearby, but he'd need to know things about me beforehand. First he asked how I was doing for money, I told him I can afford bills and that's it, nothing more. Then he asked me what time I get out of bed of a morning. 10am I said, I have nothing to do for the day besides look online for jobs and such, plus I'm becoming increasingly demotivated by the lack of results, what's the rush to get out of bed?

Good news on the cancer front at least, sort of, if you look at it from a certain point of view.

As for the GP, there are plenty of shitty GP's, just go doctor shopping at places that bulk bill. As other said, make it the primary reason for your visit. You are taking steps to try and improve things, they won't all work, but taking those first steps is hard as hell, so congratulations on that.

midonnay

Yeah I got those floaties too and was told they are harmless. Gets annoying sometimes, but at least if you have nothing to look at but a blank wall, you still have something to look at :)

sounds like something that would drive someone insane o.o;

Rezbit

Yeah, I just have one that is squiggly sometimes which I thought I better get checked.

sounds like something that would drive someone insane o.o;

Don't notice it most of the time, like Fogz said, if you're looking at a wall or something you can notice it. Common as dishwater, the guy said. You might get them too, when you're a bit older. Dun dun dun.

Salazar

Topography table hhhnngggg

lqWUL.jpg

Pencil table also hnnngggg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom