• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ningo

Finally some good news. After applying for and getting a no for the ASIC, SA water and Auditor general's graduate programs I got the email today that I got through to the final stage of the ATO graduate program intake.

Assessment/interview on the 21st of june, so time to study and read over some of my old notes.

But the issue I have at hand is I've paid for and downloaded diablo 3 but I am more hyped for max payne 3 and I am considering getting it on 360 next week. I have the pc version pre ordered from amazon coming on june 1st.

I am worried that the aus 360 version will be a censored edition.

The classification notice says that the edition classified is the original but companies often censor them before putting them through classification in aus. Eg. the blood and bullet wounds in gta 4 and i think it was also the case for RDR.

Hmph.

I can't believe the Republique kickstarter is actually going to make it.

Same, it has been a damn hard journey for them but they put a lot of effort into the Kickstarter over the last month and it has really paid off for them.

Not sure if I will chip in for a pre-order yet, depends on how my bank is feeling tonight :(

Yagharek

Danoss you can get the Medicare Mental health scheme going. Call the state numbers I listed last night. See another gp. You can get in, despite what one gp says.

Deeku

Finally some good news. After applying for and getting a no for the ASIC, SA water and Auditor general's graduate programs I got the email today that I got through to the final stage of the ATO graduate program intake.

Assessment/interview on the 21st of june, so time to study and read over some of my old notes.
What stream? Intreview is easy (all basic behavioural). I found the assessment hard because I know nothing about tax.

Great site Sal, didn't know you had a thing for design/art as well. You are getting cooler everyday in my book!

Been an accident on thte train line ahead of me. Minor apparently, but been here 30+ mins so far.

Edit: and off again

:s

Took my brother to see avengers today. He ended up late for the screening because the bus driver got in a fight with someone who didn't tag on, beat him up and then chased him down the street.

Danoss

I am the wrong person to talk to about psychologists but I would say that is the opposite of the truth.

Oh I know, that's why I thought I'd share that. It's totally bizarre. The general impression of the guy is that he didn't want to actually do anything. I won't be seeing him again.

I tried to get my Gran to see a counsellor many times. She asked her GP numerous times, and he didn't do much about it either. I think the other resources are a better option. I'll be going through Veteran Affairs to find someone good for her.

I think what he was probably looking for is a, yea life currently sucks but I would certainly like it to be better. Fake that shit and he would have believed that you actually do want to help yourself and improve your life. It sounds fucking stupid to say that, But to a lot of people there's no point helping out someone who doesn't seem like they actually want the help. Even though we here know you would love life to be better.

That's the weird thing, I don't get turning away someone asking for help. He's not the only option out there for advice, but I just wanted to see what he'd say or do. He knows me through my Aunt and the whole family situation, so he knows that I've been through a rough time recently. I know my Uncle has had words with him (which have painted me in a very bad light), so I think that is influencing his reluctance to give me assistance.

After seeing his lack of interest in helping me, I wasn't going to spill my guts and tell him how bad it was. It was quite transparent what was happening.

I do somewhat wish that you would take shitty jobs. I know that's an odd thing to say, But for me it's what helped me get up in the morning. There's a good chance you could meet some outstanding people (along with fuckwits). You could be working a shitty position but the company could be excellent. I dunno, Search for new experiences I guess when it comes to a job. Don't think of it as just another shitty job but as a new experience with different people. I wish I had done that when I was younger, bounce from random ass job to random ass job. I might have actually had friends by now D: and I may even have had some interesting stories to share by the time I'm 50.

I can handle a job that isn't great, hell I told everyone here about my last job experience. I stuck it out until the end and handled it fine. It's the monotonous jobs that I couldn't handle, my mind wanders and not to a good place. That's the type of thing I'm trying to avoid. Does that make sense?

There's certainly some mistakes we have all made in life. Mine was spending 4 years playing WoW while not working because I believed I was better than what was out there and that the world owed me something. It took me a while to realise planet earth doesn't owe me a fucking thing, I owe it everything.

I've had long unemployment stretches in the past, I acted like the world owed me something also. I started doing drugs and ended up in a very dark place. I won't ever be doing that again, I've learned my lesson and turned my life around.

I lapse into depression from time to time when things don't work out, but often they're short periods, like an hour or so and I'm able to pull myself out (most of you who have seen my outbursts have encountered those times). But when things get as bad as they have gotten recently, those periods stretch out for much longer, lasting days or weeks and it gets very, very bad. I know what I need to do to break they cycle, struggling to do that amplifies the emotions. At least I'm not lapsing into substance abuse, and I never will again.

I had a visit from an old friend today, which has significantly lifted my spirits. I just finished tuning up his PC for him. He's looking into the vacant position at my local JB I mentioned here as he knows the new manager there, to see if he can help me out. He asked about my back, but I'm just going to soldier on if I get the position. I can afford to pay for physio to improve the muscles around my back to minimise the pain and discomfort.

Danoss you can get the Medicare Mental health scheme going. Call the state numbers I listed last night. See another gp. You can get in, despite what one gp says.

He was clearly a jerk who either didn't want to put in the effort, or is intentionally avoiding helping me. From what my Uncle told him, he believes that I intimidate and terrorise my Gran so she is afraid of me and I can control her (please don't anyone say that they think I am capable of this, or that it's a likely story). Because of this, I shouldn't be surprised by the result of today.

I'm seeking a new GP anyway as I need to get on those waiting lists ASAP. I'm not discouraged by it, mostly stunned and appalled. I'll see how I go over the next couple of days before contacting any of those lines, I'm feeling decent at the moment. I know occasional times of feeling good are often possible with depression and then the bottom falls out and you're back to where you were, or worse. Being able to climb out of this hole on my own (with some assistance by someone I know) means a lot to me. If I fall flat on my face again, I'll get right on it. I called Beyondblue on my own accord last time, I'll do it again this time if I have to.

Ningo

What stream? Intreview is easy (all basic behavioural). I found the assessment hard because I know nothing about tax.

Great site Sal, didn't know you had a thing for design/art as well. You are getting cooler everyday in my book!

Accounting stream. What type of questions were in the assessment? Can't seem to find much info about it. I guess I should review my notes from last semester on tax

Deeku

Accounting stream. What type of questions were in the assessment? Can't seem to find much info about it. I guess I should review my notes from last semester on tax
Umm, there weren't specific questions so you probably don't need to review your notes. Plus you probably have a better understanding of tax since you do accounting, I was a finance major.

So, there were two tests. First one was like read a bunch of stuff, then use that to respond to a situation. It's basically testing your analytical skills and written communication. You also had to respond in like a call centre type scenario, which makes sense since they actually stick you in the call centre for 3 months when you start. Second test was tax calculations. They give you everything and you just calculate the...tax lol. I found it all really confusing so I guessed most of it. Interview was really straight forward, things like "So can you describe a time when you worked in a group to achieve something" etc. Think the STAR approach and you'll be good.

This was like a year or two ago so I don't know if it's still the same. Check the whirlpool forums, there's usually a thread with lots of info. Good luck!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I can handle a job that isn't great, hell I told everyone here about my last job experience. I stuck it out until the end and handled it fine. It's the monotonous jobs that I couldn't handle, my mind wanders and not to a good place. That's the type of thing I'm trying to avoid. Does that make sense?

Yea it makes sense. That was my biggest fear when I started working while being depressed. To my surprise though, Work started to infiltrate my mind and the depression, my ex and all that started to slowly fade away. There was new people to meet who you randomly talk to, movies, tv, music, whatever start to cruise around in your mind. It's kinda why I suggest any sort of work. If there's people around you and you are able to talk, You're bound to find that the stuff that makes you depressed slowly fades from your mind. It's always going to come back but it's never as strong.

I lapse into depression from time to time when things don't work out, but often they're short periods, like an hour or so and I'm able to pull myself out (most of you who have seen my outbursts have encountered those times). But when things get as bad as they have gotten recently, those periods stretch out for much longer, lasting days or weeks and it gets very, very bad. I know what I need to do to break they cycle, struggling to do that amplifies the emotions. At least I'm not lapsing into substance abuse, and I never will again.

Exactly the same thing here. I've been able to "control" it, that's probably the best way to describe it although it's never really under control. I still believe I should be punished for whatever reason. If I fail at a game then I take it out on myself, Sometimes small physical moments (Not cutting. Just hits!) but mostly just emotional. If I fuck up at work then I can totally throw myself into a hole because I believe that's where I belong.

If it's your lower back that's hurting. I'm doing physio for that. I can just tell you what they are suggesting to me, Could be a good or bad idea :D

Hopefully you can get that JB job. I can't imagine there being much lifting so it should be easy on your back and good to see you are seeking another GP.

Ningo

Umm, there weren't specific questions so you probably don't need to review your notes. Plus you probably have a better understanding of tax since you do accounting, I was a finance major.

So, there were two tests. First one was like read a bunch of stuff, then use that to respond to a situation. It's basically testing your analytical skills and written communication. You also had to respond in like a call centre type scenario, which makes sense since they actually stick you in the call centre for 3 months when you start. Second test was tax calculations. They give you everything and you just calculate the...tax lol. I found it all really confusing so I guessed most of it. Interview was really straight forward, things like "So can you describe a time when you worked in a group to achieve something" etc. Think the STAR approach and you'll be good.

This was like a year or two ago so I don't know if it's still the same. Check the whirlpool forums, there's usually a thread with lots of info. Good luck!

Cheers. I graduated last november and so it's just been a while since I've used any of the knowledge I gained so I feel like a complete dumbass.

I booked for the latest date so I have plenty of time to go back over the key concepts.

Just have to balance study with diablo/max payne 3 and e3 coverage lol

Shaneus

Same, it has been a damn hard journey for them but they put a lot of effort into the Kickstarter over the last month and it has really paid off for them.

Not sure if I will chip in for a pre-order yet, depends on how my bank is feeling tonight :(
Man, a year and a half is a LONG fucking way off. Especially for something designed primarily for iOS, regardless of production value. I don't know where I'll be or what phone/computing device I'll have in Sept 2013 ffs.

Wait... is that the one that the dipshit from Toucharcade paid out? Man, I'm tempted to sign up, start a new thread (or post in an existing one) with a screendump of the "We made it" figure.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Oh man, you have to be fucking kidding me. Rage don't appear to be doing shit as a tribute to MCA/Beastie Boys. I'd have figured it was more down their alley to do something than, say, Michael Jackson, but they did an MJ one when he died.

Fucking cunts. Someone somewhere had better put something on and have it available to download that's the equivalent to what their last Rage guest programming was like.

BEASTIE BOYS She's On It (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Sure Shot (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS featuring CYPRESS HILL So What'cha Want (Remix) (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Shadrach (EMI)

2:30am

BEASTIE BOYS She's Crafty (Sony)
BEASTIE BOYS Pass The Mic (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Sabotage (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Triple Trouble (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Gratitude (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Holy Snappers (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Fight For Your Right (To Party) (Sony)

3:00am

BEASTIE BOYS Intergalactic (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Root Down (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Body Movin' (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS - LIVE Sure Shot (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS - LIVE Super Disco Breakin' (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS - LIVE Brass Monkey (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Ch-Check It Out (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun (EMI)

3:30am

BEASTIE BOYS Ricky's Theme (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Off The Grid (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Netty's Girl (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Jimmy James (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Make Some Noise (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS featuring SANTIGOLD Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS An Open Letter To NYC (EMI)

04:00am

BEASTIE BOYS - LIVE AT TIBETAN FREEDOM CONCERT Root Down (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Alive (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Three MC's and One DJ (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS The Rat Cage (EMI)
BEASTIE BOYS Something's Got To Give (EMI)

Yagharek

Oh man, you have to be fucking kidding me. Rage don't appear to be doing shit as a tribute to MCA/Beastie Boys. I'd have figured it was more down their alley to do something than, say, Michael Jackson, but they did an MJ one when he died.

Fucking cunts. Someone somewhere had better put something on and have it available to download that's the equivalent to what their last Rage guest programming was like.

This is a serious question from someone who has never been big into the beastie boys.

MJ had an *extensive* collection of music videos. Hell, he damn near defined the medium with short films like Thriller, Beat It, Black & White etc.

The question I have is do the beastie boys have an "official" library big enough to fill out a whole night of programming, or is a lot of it going to be stuff that runs into legal issues like live performance bootleg recordings?

* = not questioning their importance or influence, just posing questions

Dead Man

This is a serious question from someone who has never been big into the beastie boys.

MJ had an *extensive* collection of music videos. Hell, he damn near defined the medium with short films like Thriller, Beat It, Black & White etc.

The question I have is do the beastie boys have an "official" library big enough to fill out a whole night of programming, or is a lot of it going to be stuff that runs into legal issues like live performance bootleg recordings?

They've got a lot of videos, they released 8 mainline studio albums, and I see Check has beaten me anyway... But yeah, plenty of videos.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beastie_Boys_discography#Music_videos

Yagharek

They've got a lot of videos, they released 8 mainline studio albums, and I see Check has beaten me anyway... But yeah, plenty of videos.

Cool. In that case, no excuses. I'd guess theyre a band that has pretty much been a mainstay since the early 90s. Would have assumed theyd be on all night in that case.

Yagharek

Oldish news that I didn't know: Asahi bought Calpis :eek:

image.php

legend166

The Beastie Boys' approach to music videos was not unlike Jackson's. If anything, they took it further.

Danoss

Yea it makes sense. That was my biggest fear when I started working while being depressed. To my surprise though, Work started to infiltrate my mind and the depression, my ex and all that started to slowly fade away. There was new people to meet who you randomly talk to, movies, tv, music, whatever start to cruise around in your mind. It's kinda why I suggest any sort of work. If there's people around you and you are able to talk, You're bound to find that the stuff that makes you depressed slowly fades from your mind. It's always going to come back but it's never as strong.

Yeah, it's a welcome distraction. I've found I do need the variety to keep my mind active. I've done the jobs that even while there are people to interact and have fun with, as soon as I put my head down to get the work done, my mind wanders off.

It can be a crap job, but if it is the same thing all day long, it's too much. In the end I look like a bad employee because I'll just want to distract other workers and talk their ear off. With a variety of work, that doesn't happen because I can often change tasks to avoid this happening. It's partly why retail is a great fit: I talk to customers a lot of the time, and when I'm not I may be processing a repair, ordering new stock, marking discounts, making signs and then back to customers again. It's like a constantly changing distraction. I love helping people and having them walk away with a smile, and feeling like I've accomplished something. All these things make me look forward to getting out of bed in the morning and getting stuff done.

Exactly the same thing here. I've been able to "control" it, that's probably the best way to describe it although it's never really under control. I still believe I should be punished for whatever reason. If I fail at a game then I take it out on myself, Sometimes small physical moments (Not cutting. Just hits!) but mostly just emotional. If I fuck up at work then I can totally throw myself into a hole because I believe that's where I belong.

If it's your lower back that's hurting. I'm doing physio for that. I can just tell you what they are suggesting to me, Could be a good or bad idea :D

Hopefully you can get that JB job. I can't imagine there being much lifting so it should be easy on your back and good to see you are seeking another GP.

I don't often express those emotions, I internalise things a lot. I'll go really quiet. But if I have someone on my back at that moment throwing criticisms or something, there will be a confrontation.

I can completely understand the feeling of not deserving something, or believing you have earned something bad happening to you. I don't take compliments very well, because they surprise me, but at the same time I crave them. I know it's retarded, but I didn't get compliments for the first half of my life so far. I was picked on, criticised, ridiculed and punished severely, often unfairly, mostly at home. I'd forgotten most of it, my Dad reminded me recently, and after hearing what happened, it was for good reason. I'm not justifying how I behave, but perhaps it's learned behaviour.

My back problem is weird. I'm told that it'll never be the same again, I can only increase my body's ability to deal with it. The exaggerated shape of my spine is an S shape. This causes muscle stress in some areas as they're having to pick up the slack from those muscles that no longer have the leverage to do their job properly. I have to strengthen those muscles, but I don't know how. I think I'll need physio exercises tailored to my specific issue.

Fingers crossed on getting that job, thanks for the support. I really hope this happens as it is a ticket out of this situation I really need.

Shaneus

Didn't think of looking at Friday. Shit.

Glad :D

Edit: Holy's just pasted the actual BB vids, but that whole program listing looks really familiar... I have a hunch that's their entire 2007 guest appearance. WOOOOOOOO!
Vince: Yeah, it's their guest programming thing I think. And following the standard Rage programming thing, they choose a bunch of vids, then by default there's a stack of their own. I'd actually go so far as to say that the Beasties would probably have better known videos than MJ in some instances. Sabotage is pretty much universally recognized.

So today was terrible at work. Which is why I am at work again, hopefully not for the whole night. If I don't put a few hours in tonight next week will be a hellish mess and I really can't take much more stress at the moment. Just want the next 3 months to be over and to somehow find a stash of cash hidden in my sock drawer!

Can't believe I almost ended up going down that road. Would have been much better wage than I am on now but accounting drained the life out of me, not sure how things would be if I stayed at uni with it. Would love the money though....

I thought triple j was a music station.
They have played Luke Millions 3 times today. Has been heaven! Also some Public Enemy and the token couple of Beastie Boys tracks for the day.

Man, a year and a half is a LONG fucking way off. Especially for something designed primarily for iOS, regardless of production value. I don't know where I'll be or what phone/computing device I'll have in Sept 2013 ffs.

Wait... is that the one that the dipshit from Toucharcade paid out? Man, I'm tempted to sign up, start a new thread (or post in an existing one) with a screendump of the "We made it" figure.
It is indeed! It is a really really awesome looking design spec and all the videos point to the team having a lot of great skills and that they have geld really well together and look very very promising.

By some miracle it actually looks like it will hit the half a million goal too! Insane.

lol SHANEUS RAGE RAGE

They have mentioned a few times on JJJ today that they are doing a tribute. All week on JJJ they have been interviewing people and this morning (or was it yesterday morning?) had a really great interview with Chuck D about how important they were to the industry in general and how they took Public Enemy out on their first tour, as well as about how Yauch matured over the years and how great of a person he was.

Most days have had at least 5 or 6 Beastie Boys tracks playing and on Monday they had a LOT on.

Oldish news that I didn't know: Asahi bought Calpis :eek:
They also have a large stake in Fosters Group too! They also run Cadbury and Schweppes over here.

Love the avatar Deek, don't change it! Strangely attracted to it now.

The Beastie Boys' approach to music videos was not unlike Jackson's. If anything, they took it further.
Their latest masterpiece was a short film influenced by Fight For Your Right and it is really awesome. A lot of fun and really entertaining.

I still believe I should be punished for whatever reason. If I fail at a game then I take it out on myself, Sometimes small physical moments (Not cutting. Just hits!) but mostly just emotional.
What?! No! Maybe doing some sort of strenuous activity like boxing or a spin class or running might reduce some of the stress or anxiety that may be causing you to do this? Certainly doesn't sound like a thing you should shrug off.

Deeku

Watched a preview thingo of Usagi Drop, this is a sad anime? Not sure if I can handle it.

Treme, "from the creators of The Wire"...I'm in.

wonzo

Banned
i'm currently watching season 2 of Treme and it's pretty damn good. totally worth checking out but only after Bunny Drop!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom