• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

I can't believe I forgot to link to the Tex Murphy Kickstarter in my earlier post. Still, I'm glad to see a bunch of Tex fans in the thread and all, finding it for themselves.

I'm in for $270 and deciding whether to up the pledge to $520. I think I'll wait for stretch goals to be announced and then use that as my decider.

Also SydGAF Board Gamers, don't forget our next game day is this Sunday, the 20th.

Danoss

Also SydGAF Board Gamers, don't forget our next game day is this Sunday, the 20th.

I haven't forgotten. The wedding is now the least worrisome thing potentially hindering my chances of attending board game day. Chances are I won't be attending the wedding anyway. It's now Tuesday evening and I have received no updates on the wedding at all, which is pretty lax. I'm not stressing myself over it, my attendance was a courtesy and the last time I was planning on seeing these people.

I have a doctors appointment on Friday, where I'll find out if I need to go to the hospital for surgery, if I have to undergo a procedure in the doctors surgery, or if I'm on the road to a normal recovery. The last thing seems unlikely at this stage as minimal improvement has occurred and I'm still pretty much bedridden.

Dead Man

HERESY!

Fine by me. But only if you watch this:

Europe Timelapse

That is awesome.

This isn't a problem it is the problem. Despite widely held belief newspapers etc have always held political slants and views, but a lack of accuracy is the issue.

I'm definitely guilty myself. The standard excuses of lack of time and resources are a major reason why, but also its kind of drilled into you by editors and lecturers. People don't want to read about professors or science. We're told to find out what standard people have to say.

I don't have a problem with advertising what rich, famous mental people say, like say palmer, but that should be tempered with facts.

There are good investigative journalists out there. 4 corners for example, the age has done some good stuff, but nothing like there used to be.

Yeah, you need people to pay you to investigate, and that market is awfully small. It's things like that that make me glad for national broadcasters like ABC and BBC.

Clipper

Did the people coming to Brisbane figure out when they were coming/ if the times matched up?

I have a terrible memory, sorry :(
I haven't settled on the dates yet and I don't think Choc ever responded with more info about his dates.

I haven't forgotten. The wedding is now the least worrisome thing potentially hindering my chances of attending board game day. Chances are I won't be attending the wedding anyway. It's now Tuesday evening and I have received no updates on the wedding at all, which is pretty lax. I'm not stressing myself over it, my attendance was a courtesy and the last time I was planning on seeing these people.

I have a doctors appointment on Friday, where I'll find out if I need to go to the hospital for surgery, if I have to undergo a procedure in the doctors surgery, or if I'm on the road to a normal recovery. The last thing seems unlikely at this stage as minimal improvement has occurred and I'm still pretty much bedridden.
Wow, it's kind of amazing they could change the date with such short notice. I wish you the best with the health issue, though.

Yagharek

fucking useless mac thinks my mp3 player is full when its not. Lets you delete files from it, then still claims its exactly as full as it was before.

Looking less like the united nations and more like the league of nations, with the mac playing the role of germany. FUCK

Danoss

Wow, it's kind of amazing they could change the date with such short notice. I wish you the best with the health issue, though.

The date's the same, it was always the 19th of May. Just that I haven't been contacted at all. I thought groomsmen would at least know something within 4 days of a wedding.

Hopefully my health improves, I would really prefer not to have surgery.

The surgery may help improve your health, I suppose. Though it would be better not to need it. :(

I haven't settled on the dates yet and I don't think Choc ever responded with more info about his dates.

final week of july
Clipper was thinking about late june right? Its probably possible to do two meet ups, if that works for everyone. Though of course it would be easier if you both came at once :p

Just tried first lot of red rock deli corn chips. New addiction incoming.

ZvrXo.gif

I'm currently transferring my CDs to mp3 and then to my walkman via itunes.

It's like the United Nations here.

To a walkman via iTunes? What is this sorcery?

I am reduced to converting .mp4 files to .avi to feed my fiancées TV needs. I feel so dirty.

What's she watching?

Jintor

What is attendance for Sunday Boardgames? I'm not progressing with my assignments the way I would've hoped, so just pencil me in at this stage.

non 9gag link

David Thorne strikes me as sad. I mean the spider one was funny but he is still doing it. He either lives this or spends his time coming up with it. What a waste of time, it doesn't really make me laugh when it's done to death.

ps the book was called the internet is a play ground and was just a collection of his works. still one of the only 2 books i read last year.
YEAH THATS RIGHT TWO BOOKS
AND GUESS WAHT
HAVE 2 POSTS TO GO WIHT YOUR PATRONISING THOUGHTS

Yagharek

To a walkman via iTunes? What is this sorcery?

A walkman is essentially a USB storage device according to a mac. So iTunes converts to mp3, then drag and drop folders.

You can get file managers for pc called sonic stage by Sony. Not for mac, which is a problem as it doesn't recognise free space when you delete anything from it.

That's just David Throne, dude loves his stupid dumbass email aggravating smartass email chains. He had a book about... I don't know, a Spider or something last year. Something internet troll-related.

non 9gag link

David Thorne strikes me as sad. I mean the spider one was funny but he is still doing it. He either lives this or spends his time coming up with it. What a waste of time, it doesn't really make me laugh when it's done to death.

oh its that guy =/ I kinda feel bad for laughing now...

I thought he was funny for a while, then he just started to look like a dick. In the neighbour's light case, I think he is fairly justified in his actions, but a lot of the time he's not. I am mildly suspicious that the last line was added in, it just seems to perfect.

The diablo situation is hilarious. And sad.

Why? Did game really cancel your pre-order? :( I managed to pick it up without one (though that was at JB hifi).

Diablol.

Can't believe single player is locked behind server queues.
What a disgusting practice. Who defends that kind of scam?
We've been discussing this on IRC. It's not single player. It's multi player (and by default friends can drop in and out as they please). If you want single player, you simply create your own solo instance of the multi player game.

What a terrible idea.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The diablo situation is hilarious. And sad.

It's expected though coming from blizzard. Every single patch day in WoW is destroyed by wonky servers, full queues and so on and that's just patches which add content. Expansions are usually more of a clusterfuck.

The rule of thumb is give it about 1 week and you should be able to get back on whenever you want.

It is sad that people voted with their wallets for a title with such strict DRM. DRM that is stopping people from playing a single player game along with throwing them in a fucking queue for it.

I'm surprised there isn't a better solution. One that maybe checks every 30 minutes or so to see if you are "online" in the background which authenticates you along with allowing you to store save games and retrieve them whenever you want from whatever machine.

The entire, it saves your progress online is cool thing, is a little strange. I'm surprised blizzard (and others) don't offer cloud based storage for your account. Battle.net should be able to handle it, hell it's saving your location anyway, why not let me make a save of any point in time and upload that to my account? Then I can grab that along with say the 10 past ones whenever I feel like jumping straight into that spot on any machine.

As it looks like it, With diablo 3s success we are going to see that push to always online DRM. I can only hope someone comes up with a good solution for the consumer who wants to play online or offline with whatever title they sell.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with titles over the next 6 - 12 months.

We've been discussing this on IRC. It's not single player. It's multi player (and by default friends can drop in and out as they please). If you want single player, you simply create your own solo instance of the multi player game.

What a terrible idea.

But you still need to be connected to the server right? Which still gives you a ping but is private.

Omikron

Diablol.

Can't believe single player is locked behind server queues.
What a disgusting practice. Who defends that kind of scam?

Best excuses.

It isn't a SP game, its an MMO.
It isn't Ubisoft so it is ok because of services.

@cookie - the reason it is 'always on' is because of the game design. Fundamentally it does act like an MMO in theory, you are playing a SP (or limited MP game) against a server that controls how you interact with the content. So from that perspective the always online makes sense from a design perspective, not for a consumer who just wants to play their game.

Yagharek

I guess people should get Heroes of Ruin instead, because its going to be a long wait til Diablo 4.

Or get torchlight, since the real Diablo people made it.

I managed to play fine last night without queues or anything, though I did get some serious lag after 11... I Do think it would be easier to have an offline option for single player.

Clipper

Clipper was thinking about late june right? Its probably possible to do two meet ups, if that works for everyone. Though of course it would be easier if you both came at once :p
Yeah, it will be either late June or early July for me.

What is attendance for Sunday Boardgames? I'm not progressing with my assignments the way I would've hoped, so just pencil me in at this stage.
Confirmed: Clipper, Doncamatic, Marshmellow, Rahk
Penciled in: Danoss, Jintor

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
@cookie - the reason it is 'always on' is because of the game design. Fundamentally it does act like an MMO in theory, you are playing a SP (or limited MP game) against a server that controls how you interact with the content. So from that perspective the always online makes sense from a design perspective, not for a consumer who just wants to play their game.

Yea. When I played the beta you could drop in and out of games with friends. It was a neat feature, no doubt about that. However if I want to simply solo play then why not? I don't want to connect to the net because I want to try something strange in my build or not be annoyed by other people asking me over and over to jump in.

The lag exists since you have a ping to the server. It's just like WoW in that sense. You tend to average out around 200ms while playing. WoW is around that and maybe a tiny bit more due to everyone else in the area.

You are not entitled to do strange things in your game cookie. It is not your game. It is Blizzards game.

I want to see the Torchlight MMO be browser based. Same Torchlight experience but with full multiplayer coop and the ability to jump into your cloud save on any computer with a web browser. Instantly opens your market up to anyone capable of running Chrome.

Choc

Banned
Max Payne 3 where do i begin. This is quite possibly the most jekyll and hyde game in a long long time. When i first started playing i felt it was a game that time forgot. No real improvement on Mp1 and 2 gameplay and just a strong focus on amazing graphics and animations.

However for some reason i felt compelled to keep playing it. It just felt right. The gunplay is still amazing and whilst bullet time feels a bit been there done that, it works ok. I just finished Act 1 and its building up to something.

However I can't shake the feeling that Rockstar could have done more. It really is a generic third person shooter when it boils down to it with an amazing polish. There are a lot of times where the game feels like its playing itself. The kojima syndrome where you see an extended cut scene of action that could have actually been gameplay. and in Max Payne that seems really weird.

Character model is awesome and the voice acting is as good as ever. The performance of the characters is what makes this game so far. But overall I really did expect more from Rockstar in terms of an evolution of the series.

however if this is the engine GTA V is using and the character model, that game just became HYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

You are not entitled to do strange things in your game cookie. It is not your game. It is Blizzards game.

I want to see the Torchlight MMO be browser based. Same Torchlight experience but with full multiplayer coop and the ability to jump into your cloud save on any computer with a web browser. Instantly opens your market up to anyone capable of running Chrome.
Make it in Unity and this is a plausible option. A little more browser agnostic, too.

hamchan

Yea. When I played the beta you could drop in and out of games with friends. It was a neat feature, no doubt about that. However if I want to simply solo play then why not? I don't want to connect to the net because I want to try something strange in my build or not be annoyed by other people asking me over and over to jump in.

You can turn off people being able to join your game from the options menu.

Clipper

Sure. But you are still online with a ping.

Which is necessary to avoid people switching to single player to dup items and then log back in to sell on the RMAH.

Could they have included an offline, single player, never able to go online mode with a separated stash and all that jazz? Yes. But that mode would need a lot of maintenance on its own, separate to the multiplayer version of the game, and people would complain that they can't show their legitimately blinged out single player guy to their friends if they change their mind about going online later.

Honestly, I think it's the lesser of two evils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom