• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

Which is necessary to avoid people switching to single player to dup items and then log back in to sell on the RMAH.

Could they have included an offline, single player, never able to go online mode with a separated stash and all that jazz? Yes. But that mode would need a lot of maintenance on its own, separate to the multiplayer version of the game, and people would complain that they can't show their legitimately blinged out single player guy to their friends if they change their mind about going online later.

Honestly, I think it's the lesser of two evils.

The lesser of two evils is providing something useful? That I do not buy.

Which is necessary to avoid people switching to single player to dup items and then log back in to sell on the RMAH.

People cheating? As long as it doesn't affect my own game I don't care if people cheat. Surely there is some way to prevent that though that doesn't force people to stay online.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/

Build a big fire and claim that the law doesn't apply to you.

Oh dear, this is not going to help their cause at all...

Clipper

The lesser of two evils is providing something useful? That I do not buy.

I guess I'm being a bit ambiguous. The 'it' in that final sentence is referring to what they actually did. It's a choice of making and maintaining two different versions of a game that drain resources from each other and force you to choose whether to closet your character off from the world forever; or making a stronger, single game that suits both varieties of play, but enforces a requirement of an Internet connection.

Do you want a better game with the ability to move your character/s between offline and online play at will, but requires an Internet connection, or a game which is not quite as good that you can play offline as well, provided you always play offline?

Zeno Clash is $2 from GMG! Steamworks and I didn't like it all that much!

I want a quick drop in play, drop out get back to work Diablo. I used to have Diablo 2 setup on my desktop so I could just boot it up and be slashing away within a minute. The idea of waiting in server queues is stupid to me and I would prefer a wholly offline version if possible. I really hope Torchlight 2 has the option or I will be a bit annoyed.

When i first started playing i felt it was a game that time forgot. No real improvement on Mp1 and 2 gameplay and just a strong focus on amazing graphics and animations.

However for some reason i felt compelled to keep playing it. It just felt right. The gunplay is still amazing and whilst bullet time feels a bit been there done that, it works ok. It really is a generic third person shooter when it boils down to it with an amazing polish.

Character model is awesome and the voice acting is as good as ever. The performance of the characters is what makes this game so far.
I still love the gameplay mechanics of Max Payne 2 and I think they hit on the perfect difficulty curve for the majority of the game (although locking all other difficulties was stupid). I would play an upgraded version day one. But MP3 added cover which means the level design won't be the same either. Which makes it an entirely different game for me.

Good to hear the voice acting is still top notch as it was brilliant in Max Payne 2. I am really put off by the new Max model though, looks really strange compared to in MP2 even in the New York sections we have seen.

Will be a $30 pickup. It will be good but not how I wanted it to be. Hopefully Remedy have another new IP in the pipes.

Make it in Unity and this is a plausible option. A little more browser agnostic, too.
Yeah I have been screwing around in Unity and it is incredible to use. Also the support is fantastic, had some great back and forth emails already. Which is impressive since it hasn't cost me a cent! I can see it being a huge engine sooner rather than later as more and more indie studios take to it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I guess I'm being a bit ambiguous. The 'it' in that final sentence is referring to what they actually did. It's a choice of making and maintaining two different versions of a game that drain resources from each other and force you to choose whether to closet your character off from the world forever; or making a stronger, single game that suits both varieties of play, but enforces a requirement of an Internet connection.

Do you want a better game with the ability to move your character/s between offline and online play at will, but requires an Internet connection, or a game which is not quite as good that you can play offline as well, provided you always play offline?

I would like to be able to play the game I purchased for $60 on day 1. How much is that to ask these days?

There's no reason why there couldn't have been an offline mode. Suggesting it would take away resources, from a company that has a bazillion employees like blizzard, is stretching it a little thin. I could imagine that being a legit reason when it's 4 guys in a garage but in all honesty those 4 guys would probably end up doing an offline and online mode, Because they aren't idiots.

If there was an offline mode, You could be playing right now. You could be exploring the world, getting a quick taste of which character you want to start with. Instead people are sitting there looking at a queue window or a lovely error message, That is totally unacceptable.

People cheating? As long as it doesn't affect my own game I don't care if people cheat. Surely there is some way to prevent that though that doesn't force people to stay online.
Well that's the problem. Blizzard obviously want to push their auction house to make even more money. Forcing all players online means even people who prefer soloing can sell those items for real money to diehard multiplayer... players. And if people cheat in the online-only game, it will affect you, because it'll affect the in-game economy.

Also, it seems like much of the game content is actually hosted on Blizzard's servers, meaning Diablo 3 is pretty much a more action-oriented version of WoW.

Yeah I have been screwing around in Unity and it is incredible to use. Also the support is fantastic, had some great back and forth emails already. Which is impressive since it hasn't cost me a cent! I can see it being a huge engine sooner rather than later as more and more indie studios take to it.
Wasteland 2 is being made in it. What I wouldn't have given for another tier where you can download the game and all its Unity assets.

Choc

Banned
its that time again!

MyLittleE3.gif

Why wouldn't it be quite as good? Just because you can't interact with other people and go on raids? Or do you mean DLC down the track?

Why wouldn't it be quite as good? Just because you can't interact with other people and go on raids? Or do you mean DLC down the track?
The main benefits as I can see it are the ability to create unique universe-wide events, enforce patching, but most importantly reduce piracy since most of it's server-side, and for Blizzard to make lots of money from players who just want to buy their way through the game.

Personally I think they've lost the plot long ago about what makes a good game, but it seems they definitely know how to make a great profit.

Clipper

Because there's a lot of different interaction to be built into the game. The developers will either be split to ensuring changes work on both versions or they will spend extra time on whatever they are doing as it doubles the amount of testing that needs to be done. It's not just a switch they can flip to give you an always offline mode permanently. A single game is going to be better than two similar,but slightly different parallel games.

There are plenty of small things that would distract developers creating the offline-only mode. They would have to remove references to the auction house and add explanations about why that building in the town is inaccessible to your characters. They couldn't have any content hosted online that could easily be tweaked for everyone without affecting others. There's plenty of small differences that need to be catered for that you don't need to handle in the single version of the game they have currently.

And yes, it is unacceptable if people are stuck in queues to play their game if they only want to play single player, though. The servers should be able to handle that, I agree, but the answer to that isn't an offline mode, it's getting your online mode to be made correctly.

Servers are down at the moment for patches apparently? I assume this is a one time thing and people won't be locked out of the game every time a patch hits though since this would be the biggest patch to go in.

Because there's a lot of different interaction to be built into the game. The developers will either be split to ensuring changes work on both versions or they will spend extra time on whatever they are doing as it doubles the amount of testing that needs to be done. It's not just a switch they can flip to give you an always offline mode permanently. A single game is going to be better than two similar,but slightly different parallel games.
The main benefits as I can see it are the ability to create unique universe-wide events, enforce patching, but most importantly reduce piracy since most of it's server-side, and for Blizzard to make lots of money from players who just want to buy their way through the game.

So it really isn't a single player game then. The reasoning is for post launch content. Which shifts it more into MMO territory than I was expecting to be honest.

I was hoping for a full content game out of the box that can be judged on its merits right now based on what is delivered, not the promise of content in the future which can make the game better.

I have no issue with them taking that route for their games, it just wasn't what I (and it seems like a lot of others) were expecting today. As long as it feels content complete and I am not penalised in regards to getting to the YOU ARE WINNER screen for not getting involved in the MP side of things I am fine with that.

So it really isn't a single player game then. The reasoning is for post launch content. Which shifts it more into MMO territory than I was expecting to be honest.
No, it's not. To me it's an action-oriented version of WoW with instancing, smaller groups and less customisation.

"Single player" in Diablo 3 is really a solo instance of the multiplayer game. There isn't any "single player" mode.

As far as the post content is concerned, I don't believe they've announced anything, but given it's all server side I don't see why the possibility would be precluded. Out of the box, today, the game is more or less complete. If you can play it.

Rezbit

I couldn't really play Diablo 3 last night due to severe amounts of latency (not on my end). I'm talking 2000 ping here people. Yes, when I was in SP too. Settled down eventually when I played at like 12:30 but it was still a bit laggy. Pretty disappointing. After the shitty beta the game is yet to endear itself to me.

EDIT: Maybe shouldn't say SP, more "by myself mode."

jambo

Unfortunately I don't think Diablo III will be good until they sort out all of the server issues over the next few weeks.

There are different setups for Foobar, you can have it simple, just like WinAmp, or you can have it more complex with the library, playlist, lyrics and whatnot.

I don't like it cluttered, I just like it simple. I don't like the Library feature at all, and wouldn't use it even if I did. I just navigate my music folders and drag and drop as necessary.

I wanted it to look a little nicer as the default UI was a little plain. I just grabbed a skin and was good to go. Here's what mine looks like now, I wouldn't want it any other way.

8oKuZ.png

Yes. What version of foobar is it? If it's the version last.fm supports, I'm all over it and will therefore ask you to zip your install and throw it my way. I haven't used foobar for a while and I miss it.

Jintor

Or if it's cheap enough that it doesn't trigger any of my warning thresholds

Or if I'm convinced that everywhere I go there will soon be spoilerz. (ME3) (I got it cheap though so it worked out alright)

Rezbit

Lol, sums it up. Mandiller and I having a merry time running around killing stuff, connection lost, server down, struggling to get back in. So lame.

Jintor

That's a really good article. Good to know the proper facts behind the case, since I wasn't sure what was going on when it was reported yesterday. Didn't think the Family Court would make such a stupid decision based on nothing.

What's error 37?

Or if it's cheap enough that it doesn't trigger any of my warning thresholds

Or if I'm convinced that everywhere I go there will soon be spoilerz. (ME3) (I got it cheap though so it worked out alright)

Or you want to play multi player with people who are getting it day one and are paranoid about falling behind.

So I got my first traffic infringement ever. Apparently, parking in front of a fire hydrant is illegal in Canada. We don't have them at home, which makes me wonder how it is we put out fires in Australia.

Salazar

So I got my first traffic infringement ever. Apparently, parking in front of a fire hydrant is illegal in Canada. We don't have them at home, which makes me wonder how it is we put out fires in Australia.

That was my favourite experience in Mafia 2.

When I
went to the club with the other guys, and I pulled up outside and knocked over a fire hydrant. Because I drive like shit. When we came out of the club, with a body to put in the back, the fire hydrant was gushing water everywhere. It was amazing.

That game was super legit in a whole bunch of ways.

Dead Man

So Diablo 3 is as janky for SP as people feared when the design was announced? And they are making the SP experience worse to try to prevent duping? Who could have thought that might have happened?

Max Payne 3 where do i begin. This is quite possibly the most jekyll and hyde game in a long long time. When i first started playing i felt it was a game that time forgot. No real improvement on Mp1 and 2 gameplay and just a strong focus on amazing graphics and animations.

However for some reason i felt compelled to keep playing it. It just felt right. The gunplay is still amazing and whilst bullet time feels a bit been there done that, it works ok. I just finished Act 1 and its building up to something.

However I can't shake the feeling that Rockstar could have done more. It really is a generic third person shooter when it boils down to it with an amazing polish. There are a lot of times where the game feels like its playing itself. The kojima syndrome where you see an extended cut scene of action that could have actually been gameplay. and in Max Payne that seems really weird.

Character model is awesome and the voice acting is as good as ever. The performance of the characters is what makes this game so far. But overall I really did expect more from Rockstar in terms of an evolution of the series.

however if this is the engine GTA V is using and the character model, that game just became HYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE
I actually like all that except the custscene stuff.

Quoting two chocposts? But yeah, spot on write up.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So Diablo 3 is as janky for SP as people feared when the design was announced? And they are making the SP experience worse to try to prevent duping? Who could have thought that might have happened?

I actually like all that except the custscene stuff.

Quoting two chocposts? But yeah, spot on write up.

Yeah it is, but long term SP clearly wont be an issue like it is today.

and i went and played D2 again recently... will be glad with the changes this always online brings.

markot

Banned
Yeah it is, but long term SP clearly wont be an issue like it is today.

and i went and played D2 again recently... will be glad with the changes this always online brings.

Unless you want to play during server maintence, or when you are offline, or if you want to enjoy a lag free experience.

I love that Blizz did the same trick they did with wow though, <250ms is 'green' latency... They changed it during wow when they realised Aussie users would always be in the red.

Its also great that this crap 'which make it better for the consumer', which involves the cost of servers and what nots being online constantly, doesnt involve a single server being put in Australia... for any of their games.... ever. Hell even EA isnt that stingy.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Unless you want to play during server maintence, or when you are offline, or if you want to enjoy a lag free experience.

I love that Blizz did the same trick they did with wow though, <250ms is 'green' latency... They changed it during wow when they realised Aussie users would always be in the red.

Its also great that this crap 'which make it better for the consumer', which involves the cost of servers and what nots being online constantly, doesnt involve a single server being put in Australia... for any of their games.... ever. Hell even EA isnt that stingy.

They put a server in the SEA region and it's a fucking ghost town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom